PDA

View Full Version : Northland: Northland Ride/Stayover Labour Weekend (21-23rd Oct) Poll

Qkchk
21st July 2006, 17:31
Well it's about time to get the wheels rollin for the upcoming Labour Weekend.(21st - 23rd October 2006)
Last year, BLACKYOSHI1000 organized a ride and stayover up at Opononi (yes, the famous Opo ride:psst:) on the same long weekend. So here are some ideas of what we could make happen.....

PLEASE READ THE BELOW OPTIONS BEFORE VOTING!

Option 1.

Opo the Bikey
Same ride as the famous Opo ride. Leave Aucks Sat morning, meet Norfland crew (if they are interested...) @ Paparoa. Do a bit of backroads (Custards corner, T Straight etc...;)) up through the Waipoura Forest, stay the night at Opononi.:doobey: Return to Auck on Sunday or Monday.

Option 2.

The Russell Romp
Leave Aucks Sat morning, meet Norfland crew @ Wellsford (or whatever) head North through some of their beautiful backroads (Cemetery Road, Tiger Road etc..) then turn onto Old Russell Road. (This road is one of the most twisted bit of roads around, second to the Maungamuka Gorge) Stay the night up at Russell, then either go back via Old Russell Road or over the Vehicular Ferry (for those with hangovers) maybe some more of the Northland roads on the way home.....:wari:

Option 3.

The Twosome
Go the whole hogs and combine both options (1 and 2). Stay the Sat night @ Opononi and stay the Sunday night @ Russell - Remember Monday is a public holiday, it's the long weekend! This could work well with people who have to work Sat and the same for people who cant stay out over the whole weekend. Very flexible option.:blip:

Option 4.

The Northern Exposure Tour:sunny:
I organized this ride for the Auckland Anniversary weekend (End of Jan). You can see here for a bit more detail:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=23974
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=24032
But in a nutshell, we make our way up through the Waipoura Forest/Opononi then catch the Vehicular Ferry @ Rawene across to Kohukohu. The next stretch of road from Kohukohu is just superb. My fav bit of road in Northland. Its was voted No.1 on the 'Best bit of road' thread - the Maungamuka Gorge.:first: 20mins or so (depends how hard you go) of 100% corners. We then arrive in Kaitaia and stay the night at Waipapakauri Ramp (on the Ninety Mile Beach). Next day we head North to the top of NZ to the lighthouse (last 20kms gravel...) and some other roads on the way back (200+kms round trip). Have a awesome smorgasboard for tea - Lamb on the spit. Top grub. Monday head back via Maungamuka Gorge OR East coast then maybe through to Kaikohe/Twin Bridges etc.... We can make up the route once we have and idea what people would prefer to do.

TAKE NOTE***********:nono:
This is ONLY in the basic stage of organizing. I haven't set anything in concrete as I am only after your thoughts.... Accommodation could be subject to availability, so the faster we all agree, the better chance of getting what we want. (Russell books up pretty fast etc..) All KBers are invited - this isnt exclusive to Auck and Norfland. Would be good to meet some others from the South.:yes:

Let's hear your input please...................:hug:

RiderInBlack
21st July 2006, 18:40
No. 4 for me. Love doing the Forest/Opo/Rawene/Ferry/Kohukohu/Maungamuka's and Norf. Waipapakauri Pub is cool. The Northland MC hold their Treble-T Poker Run there. At Waitiki Landing (last fuel stop 22km before The Cape) there a cool little food place so Nanas that don't like Metal Rds can wait happy there while the Real riders go ta The Cape and back.
Not doing The Grand Challenge this year, so will need some riding/drinking therapy Labour weekend.

PS: I hope "Northern Exposer" doesn't mean that Jazzer will be back taking his clothes off :stupid: :laugh:

Korumba
21st July 2006, 18:58
Best part is the Opo Hotel has changed owners and the new ones don’t know didly shit about last time...well except for the different smile on the dolphins face. The locals still haven’t worked that one out!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18685

Rhino
21st July 2006, 19:02
Please count us both in for another Opo ride. I'm happy to be TEC on the 'Wing again.:rockon:

Scorpygirl
21st July 2006, 19:16
Best part is the Opo Hotel has changed owners and the new ones don’t know didly shit about last time...well except for the different smile on the dolphins face. The locals still haven’t worked that one out!

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=18685

I have no idea who took those photos....:blip: Please leave the dolphin alone!!!

I promise I will be good this time!!! :innocent:

Colapop
21st July 2006, 20:11
Isn't there supposed to be a North invades South (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27030) tour or summat that weekend?

RiderInBlack
21st July 2006, 21:01
Isn't there supposed to be a North invades South (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27030) tour or summat that weekend?So there is, but if I could afford a South Is trip in October I would be able ta do the GC this year. I am sure there are enough of us here that who would want ta do this ride without effecting the other one (considering the other ride is at the other end of NZ).

Maha
21st July 2006, 21:02
The Russell Romp sounds like the go if we are avaliable that weekend, will be basically doing it 2moro, all really good option's. We may be heading to Napier that weekend but dunno at this point, would rather play on the bike....:yes:

Colapop
21st July 2006, 21:10
No doubt there would be enough for this ride - and it'd be a good short (cheaper) trip for quite a few up that way. Just reminding peeps of the other one.

Qkchk
21st July 2006, 22:26
Isn't there supposed to be a North invades South (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27030) tour or summat that weekend?

It doesn't bother me if people go off on different rides, Im just letting them know that there is a choice........... Im not holding my breath for the sake of others 'just talking' about it.:wait:I do more than talk, I ride. You can see by how many people turn up to my ATNR's*. However, if the other event doesnt take off, you are very welcome to join us. (Subject to accommodation availability)

BTW: Im sure there won't be many Aucklanders, let alone Norfland Crew wanting to travel across the ditch as there would be for a local ride. But hey, Im only giving people a choice - it's up to them.:confused:

*Auckland Thursday Night Ride

Qkchk
21st July 2006, 22:51

I think that dolphin was scarred for life.......:shit:

Couple more piccys from last years fracas in Opononi...........:blip:

wraith
22nd July 2006, 12:21
i wont miss this one.....count me in ,which ever ride you decide...
if you need help with anything just pm me....

ducatijim
22nd July 2006, 13:04
Well, fancy that...I had a group from down Taupo way up there last Labor w-end and didn't c any of you! You'all must be fast! I am planning it again this L/W....well I was, now maybe it would make good sense to join up with this ride eh? We stayed Friday nite in H-ville, Grand pub, Saturday did Dargaville,Waipoua,Rawene ferry,MANGAMUKA!!!!, stayed @ Maunganui pub; then down thru Kaikohe,twin bridges,Tangowahine,Mangatapere and on down thru Mangawai.......had an AWESOME time. Would bring 6-8 persons, will keep an eye on this one. B good to meet up with some of you (??).

Qkchk
22nd July 2006, 18:38
i wont miss this one.....count me in ,which ever ride you decide...
if you need help with anything just pm me....
Thanks for the offer Neil, good to know at least one of the 'regulars' will be present :2thumbsup

Qkchk
22nd July 2006, 18:46
Well, fancy that...I had a group from down Taupo way up there last Labor w-end and didn't c any of you! You'all must be fast! I am planning it again this L/W....well I was, now maybe it would make good sense to join up with this ride eh? We stayed Friday nite in H-ville, Grand pub, Saturday did Dargaville,Waipoua,Rawene ferry,MANGAMUKA!!!!, stayed @ Maunganui pub; then down thru Kaikohe,twin bridges,Tangowahine,Mangatapere and on down thru Mangawai.......had an AWESOME time. Would bring 6-8 persons, will keep an eye on this one. B good to meet up with some of you (??).
Thinking back now, I the ride may have been on the weekend of the 16th Oct (honestly, I though it was over the Labour weekend - must be getting old...) I just looked back at the old write up and thats the first 'aftermath' comments.

It's always good to hear others talking and taking a similar route - more people to back me up ;) As you would know ducatijim, those roads from Dargaville up through Waipoura forest, Opononi and through to Rawene, then through the :first: bit of road - Maungamuka, are worth the trip up north to explore. :blip:

Qkkid
22nd July 2006, 19:52
I think that dolphin was scarred for life.......:shit:

hope the locals have forgiven us:sick:

Back Fire
23rd July 2006, 08:22
I'd love another opo ride, last time I did it on a 125 so I want to have a go at it on a proper sized bike hahahah

Buddy L
23rd July 2006, 17:28
You can count me in for the "The Northern Exposure Tour", but im going to a wedding on the same weekend as the Northland Ride/Stayover Labour Weekend:doh:, i think that they sould just change the date to suit my riding habbits.

Zapf
23rd July 2006, 17:37
Will be doing the GC that 15~16 Oct weekend. :)

Qkchk
23rd July 2006, 18:53
You can count me in for the "The Northern Exposure Tour", but im going to a wedding on the same weekend as the Northland Ride/Stayover Labour Weekend:doh:, i think that they sould just change the date to suit my riding habbits.
What a bugger eh? Hey, I know there will be some people who wont be able to attend due to other arrangements. Not much we can do there but at least with plenty of advanced warning, most of those interested will be able to attend. There will be other rides.....

R6_kid
23rd July 2006, 18:53
now that i've experienced the land of the taniwha up north i guess its fair to say im hooked.

Put your votes in for the Northern exposure folks!

Did 670km yesterday, would be nice if to split it all up and enjoy it better and even throw in some extra stuff further up north.

ManDownUnder
24th July 2006, 15:48
Need to make sure it suits the boss and kids - but I'd love to come this year

Qkchk
24th July 2006, 16:17
Need to make sure it suits the boss and kids - but I'd love to come this year
ManDownUnder + Dolphin = Chaos

ManDownUnder
24th July 2006, 16:23
ManDownUnder + Dolphin = Chaos

I promise to keep most of my clothes on... but I am inspired by juzzers 2005 efforts...

Qkchk
24th July 2006, 16:52
I promise to keep most of my clothes on... but I am inspired by juzzers 2005 efforts...
Now that would be a reputation to live up to! :rofl:

Scorpygirl
24th July 2006, 18:32

I think the dolphin is feeling :sick: already!!!! As for the Boy......? :blip:

Qkchk
24th July 2006, 18:38
It wasn't only Juzzer who went for the midnight skinny dip, he had 2 other accomplices...............

DMNTD
24th July 2006, 18:52
I'm always keen on a sedate cruise through those oh so lovely roads over there.
Whatever route is on I'm keen...prefer the Whangarei-Russell-Opo ride in one but I'm not fussy. :wait:

hope the locals have forgiven us:sick:
LOL...mate that's mild compared to what we used to get up to!! :doobey:
Pity I wasn't still living there at the time as I could've shown y'all how he really liked it :blip: :doobey:

Qkchk
24th July 2006, 22:24
Pity I wasn't still living there at the time as I could've shown y'all how he really liked it :blip: :doobey:
Who? Juzzer or the Dolphin?

DMNTD
25th July 2006, 07:57
Who? Juzzer or the Dolphin?
Don't be silly SltlyQkCk....both:blah:

ManDownUnder
25th July 2006, 09:10
It wasn't only Juzzer who went for the midnight skinny dip, he had 2 other accomplices...............

sounds like some probing is needed ... or maybe was already undertaken...

WickedOne
25th July 2006, 09:10
I am not sure but may have to work that weekend. If I don't have to:doobey: work I will be there with bells on!!!!!

Qkchk
25th July 2006, 21:36
sounds like some probing is needed ... or maybe was already undertaken...
Probing???? Maybe when they were all in the ocean together..... it WAS pretty dark..

ManDownUnder
26th July 2006, 09:25
Probing???? Maybe when they were all in the ocean together..... it WAS pretty dark..

Please tell me it wasn't three guys - that'd just ruin the mental image I have...

Qkchk
27th July 2006, 17:02
Only 1 more week till the poll closes - vote now or put up with what comes out tops............

Qkchk
31st July 2006, 19:59
It's a close call at this stage............ the poll closes on the 4th August, so get voting!

Below, some pics from the Opo ride last year and the Northern Exposure tour.

Pic 1
What happened to Blackyoshi's bike while he got drunk

Pic 2
Juzzer shows the locals how its done

Pic 3
MMAAAAATTTTTEEEEEE!!!

Pic 4
Smoko break outside Tane Mahuta (the huge anicent Kauri Tree), Waipoura Forest.

Pic 5
The bikes at the furtherest stop in the North Island - Cape Reinga Carpark

Pic 6
How far is it to London? The Northern most point in NZ. This lighthouse is still operational (computerised).

insane1
1st August 2006, 00:38
tl i might even have the vtr1000 by then so who knows i"m game.

ZeroIndex
1st August 2006, 01:01
Well, I know a fair amount of people from the Warkworth BBQ, and up north sounds good, so count me in.. what are the expected costs? (how many km's & accomodation costs) <-- so i can start saving

I don't mind either option 3 or 4.. um, and yeah, if someone wouldn't mind putting me up for the Friday night? (this question does not include gareth_d, as he snores too loudly :D), not really keen on the whole Hamilton to Auckland in 'really early morning' conditions + proper ride afterwards.. - I promise not to blow anything up :innocent: - but yeah, would really appreciate that :)

Qkchk
1st August 2006, 17:35
Well, I know a fair amount of people from the Warkworth BBQ, and up north sounds good, so count me in.. what are the expected costs? (how many km's & accomodation costs) <-- so i can start saving

Was great to meet you Zero.

At this stage I am putting out "feelers" just seeing what people are keen on doing and if they could attend..... BUT after Friday (when the poll closes) the ride will be announced properly and I will start to get costs and also discuss the route we will be taking etc....

But for a ruff gestimate; if we go for the 3 or 4 option (x2 nights - which is over Sat, Sun and Mon) we will be doin approx 300 - 400kms each day. Now this might sound daunting to some, but if it is spread over the whole day it's stuff all. Becides if you feel you are not up to the challenge you can take a 'shortcut' and meet us at an pre-arranged place. As for cost - Depends on how much you and your bike eats... Accomodation as a ruff guess, I think it cost us $55per couple per night for a cabin up at Waipapakauri Ramp (Kaitaia - Northern Exposure trip) and that was 4 of us in a cosy cabin. So when the ride is formerly organised I will get prices of the places we will be staying at and then you can decide if you want to share with Gareth:zzzz: :rofl: I think some of the cabin can sleep up to 7 so the cost is even better spread amongst you (a cabin of 5 people is about $20 per person/night etc...). A couple of the places do accomodate for tents if ya wanna go budget too.

Qkchk
1st August 2006, 18:05
if someone wouldn't mind putting me up for the Friday night? (this question does not include gareth_d, as he snores too loudly :D), not really keen on the whole Hamilton to Auckland in 'really early morning' conditions + proper ride afterwards..
You are very welcome to stay the night here with me and Qkkid in Albany. The Spa pool should be online by then :2thumbsup

Scorpygirl
1st August 2006, 18:15
You are very welcome to stay the night here with me and Qkkid in Albany. The Spa pool should be online by then :2thumbsup

Did you mention spa pool.....:blip: Could Rhino and I come and stay too. Crossing the ditch (AKA the bridge) early on Saturday morning sounds a bit daunting for us!!! :blah: (P/T)

Qkchk
1st August 2006, 21:34
Did you mention spa pool.....:blip: Could Rhino and I come and stay too. Crossing the ditch (AKA the bridge) early on Saturday morning sounds a bit daunting for us!!! :blah: (P/T)
Oh come on! Take a concrete pill and HARDERN UP :nya:

Scorpygirl
1st August 2006, 21:37
Oh come on! Take a concrete pill and HARDERN UP :nya:

OK.... I will keep taking my medication and hope it helps!!!! :doobey: :wait: See you at the venue.

Qkchk
1st August 2006, 21:39
OK.... I will keep taking my medication and hope it helps!!!! :doobey: :wait: See you at the venue.
With the amount of interest and organising to do, I might have to borrow some!:weird:

ZeroIndex
1st August 2006, 22:02
haha, that sounds awesome :) thanks

Scorpygirl
1st August 2006, 22:06
With the amount of interest and organising to do, I might have to borrow some!:weird:

You are doing an awesome job!!!!!! :rockon:

Qkchk
2nd August 2006, 16:21
2 MORE DAYS VOTING, then you will have to shut up/put up with where the ride is going to...........:nya:

Patch
2nd August 2006, 21:45
It doesn't bother me . . . Im not holding my breath . . . I do more than talk . . .

My mummy warned me about girls like you :blip:

You need an option: I don't know where the hell these places are, but lets just ride :scooter:

I'd love to go, but will see how the bike holds up :blip: after "The Challenge" as thats the weekend before. Keep us posted, whatever you decide to do. Keep up the good work, we appreciate it. :2thumbsup

ZeroIndex
3rd August 2006, 00:18
2 MORE DAYS VOTING, then you will have to shut up/put up with where the ride is going to...........:nya:
i voted on option 3 & 4, if it comes down to one vote, remove my option 3 vote :) <-- + vote only on Northern Exposure

Qkchk
3rd August 2006, 17:35
Anyone else from down south is welcome to attend - and to vote on the poll. There will be room here at our house but it's strictly limited...........first in, first served. (Zero has already scored a bed.........)

Qkchk
4th August 2006, 19:36
Ok, so the votes are in............. drum roll someone.............

And it looks like the "NORTHERN EXPOSURE" has come out tops. Over the next week or so I will be gathering intelligence and putting up a new thread........stay tuned!

BTW I will be driving up thro the Maungamukas tomorrow (but in a car :angry:) so will have a little re-con and hopefully get some pics to wet the appetite!

Qkchk
14th August 2006, 16:03
Ok, just getting last minute details so there will be a new thread up in the Meeting/Events middle-end of this week for this ride.

NOTE**** SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR 20 PEOPLE (INCLUDING MYSELF AND QKKID)******** So it will be on a "first in first served basis".

Hellraiser
14th August 2006, 16:09
NOTE**** SOUNDS LIKE THERE IS ONLY ROOM FOR 20 PEOPLE (INCLUDING MYSELF AND QKKID)******** So it will be on a "first in first served basis".

WHY?

are the roads up Nth not ables to handle more than 20 bikes at a time or something.

Qkchk
14th August 2006, 16:23
WHY?

are the roads up Nth not ables to handle more than 20 bikes at a time or something.

Unless you fancy taking your tent up with you cause thats all the accomodation I can get............

SwanTiger
14th August 2006, 16:37
Hey WINJA ain't the scooter weekend on the 21st?