PDA

View Full Version : Honda Today vs Yamaha Jog CV50A?

Isla
21st July 2006, 18:21
Hi there, am looking into buying a Honda Today but my father doubts its capability of going up Wellington hills. I'm not able to test drive it as I have never driven a scooter before and being 20kgs lighter than my father am not entirely convinced that he would get the same results as I would given he decided to test drive it against a 100km headwind today. hmmm. Basically is theree anyone here that can give me an idea of this bikes top speed on the flat with a 60kg driver. Should I go for this, coz I love the look of the bike or bite the bullet and buy the more practical bike? (the yamaha jog) :innocent:

Mr. Peanut
21st July 2006, 18:33
Honda Todays are four-strokes, and are slower. Get the Jog, it's a two stroke and should keep you entertained far longer than the today (Dreadfully slow)

Top speed would be about 45 - 50km/h

Isla
22nd July 2006, 18:46
thanks alot, dad's test drivin the yamaha tomorrow

msm
23rd July 2006, 21:37
I have a Yamaha Aprio Jog, it does the job quite well and reaches about 55kph on the flat, and I got up steep Dunedin hills at around 45kph. I weigh about 75kg fully geared up, plus whatever stuff I'm carrying with me (generally quite a lot). Though my scooter is in need of a bit of work after doing about 5200k, and I could probably get it to go a bit faster after a proper workup.

For the record, I'd never ridden a scooter or motorbike before taking the Aprio Jog on a test ride, though I was able to ride it in a private carpark well out of traffic. I even did a wheelie on my first ride.. unintentional, but hey, if I can do it, anyone can. The fast acceleration has been a life saver on several occasions. A coworker has a four stroke, and man that thing is slow to get going.

nadroj
23rd July 2006, 21:50
I bought a jog for the son last year & I'm occasionally allowed on it. With the restricter right out it hauls ass with 90+kg so I filed it out to 15mm & left it in till he's past being a hoon. He gets it out when he passes his restricted which won't be far away. The jog is made in Japan & it shows in the quality especially compared to some of the chink brands of the same age.

danjulz
7th June 2008, 10:15
Honda Todays are four-strokes, and are slower. Get the Jog, it's a two stroke and should keep you entertained far longer than the today (Dreadfully slow)

Top speed would be about 45 - 50km/h

Actually the top speed of the Today is 57 kph (i'm 63 kg but friends are more and they get simular results)

tgb_novice
7th June 2008, 13:14
I sincerely advise that you try a TGB 101S, Its a two stroke, and will haul you through the hills like no other can !! I have tried a few scooters, here and overseas and man does this go :). :Punk:

The drawback, it is a bit taller than normal and the front seems a bit light.

And and before another safety nazi get you :) Wear proper gear !!!! :scooter:

:Offtopic:Welcome to the world of 2 wheels soon :)

C_A
7th June 2008, 13:35
I've got a 1982 yamaha passola, which is dreadfully gutless. with me @ ~80kg it struggles in wellington hill. flatmate @ 60kg hoons everywhere. newer tech and better condition ones will be fine....

and yeah go two stroke and run it on good quality oil. 4 stroke scooters are dreadful

pritch
7th June 2008, 14:58
I have a well thrashed SJ50 and on occasion also ride a Today. The two stroke seems quite a lot quicker and hauls my fat arse up all the hills around here.

OK, on the very steepest hills the SJ50 struggles to do 30kph but at least I haven't had to get off and push - so far.

melzyx
15th July 2008, 00:07
I'm not able to test drive it as I have never driven a scooter before

That doesnt really matter as scooters are sort of like riding a bike. So if you can do that ok you should be fine =D

newzealandpower
16th July 2008, 10:28
Hey guys,
from what I read the Jog seems to be a better choice for the hills of Wellington. I used to live in Italy and there I owned a Honda Sky (which looks very much like a Today) which served me fine for 7+ years. So I would be inclined to buy a Today, but I don't think it would be able to carry my partner and I around. What do you think?

Also, is it easy in NZ to remove speed restrictors? In Italy everybody does and I actually modified the exhaust and added power to my old scooter so that it would reach 90 km/h. But over there everybody does it, that's the problem. I'm afraid that if I do it here I'll be busted in no time.

Ah, last thing. if I decided to go for a Jog (in case it could carry my partner and me fine), where could I buy one in Wgtn?? I had a look online and there is bugger all in town.

Thanks
G.S.

melzyx
16th July 2008, 12:27
The Jog doesn'nt carry two people, Just one.
Look at 161 of the road code to see if u can modify it

A place in alice town sell the jog and they have just shipped them in.
http://www.tssmotorcycles.co.nz/

Theres also a place somewhere in the hutt that have the honda today
http://www.motomart.co.nz/

newzealandpower
16th July 2008, 13:30
Thanks man.
However, what do you think I should do re: buying a 50cc that carries 2 people?
I would even be happy to upgrade my licence and buy a 125 cc but that wouldn't be much cheaper than buying a $3/4k car. And it would have higher on road costs as well.

Having a scooter would be heaps cheaper in all regards, but if I can only ride it alone it's a bummer!

bungbung
16th July 2008, 13:31
And you'll need to get an authorised person to check ur scooter before you modify it in any way.

That's not quite true. Once a scooter has been registered, it'll never need to be inspected so you can modify it all you like.

Of course legally your scooter would need to be registered as a motorbike if the power output is more than 2kW or the top speed exceeds 50km/h.

In reality this is ignored by all and sundry.

UberRhys
16th July 2008, 13:49
I don't think it would be able to carry my partner and I around. What do you think?

I don't know, what does your partner look like?

Also, is it easy in NZ to remove speed restrictors? In Italy everybody does and I actually modified the exhaust and added power to my old scooter so that it would reach 90 km/h. But over there everybody does it, that's the problem. I'm afraid that if I do it here I'll be busted in no time.

The Honda Today is a 4T so the usual 2T restrictions won't make too much of a difference. The Yamaha Jog is a 2T scoot so minus the restrictions it will get better performance. I guess changing to lighter rollers and perhaps a better air pod filter and mega tune and the Honda Today would perform better. :scooter: Still I don't think you would get 90km out of it... :shit:

Don't worry about getting busted as the only way to tell is if you pull it apart, something no police orificer is willing to do. All they would do is issue you a ticket for going to fast if that is why they pulled you over.

you'll need to get an authorised person to check ur scooter before you modify it in any way.

Why would you need to get an authorised person to check it before you modify it? If your not worried about the warranty then just do it. :whocares:

newzealandpower
16th July 2008, 15:28
[QUOTE=UberRhys;1649259]I don't know, what does your partner look like?

QUOTE]

Hey Uber,
my partner is average-built. I'm pretty small (60kg's and she'll probably be around 70kg's).

So you reckon is should just buy a Jog eh? Once the restrictors are out, given that it's a 2T it will go faster and hopefully will carry us both.

Might check out those links they gave me before and see if I can get the cash!

UberRhys
16th July 2008, 15:32
Hey Uber,
my partner is average-built. I'm pretty small (60kg's and she'll probably be around 70kg's).

So you reckon is should just buy a Jog eh? Once the restrictors are out, given that it's a 2T it will go faster and hopefully will carry us both.

Might check out those links they gave me before and see if I can get the cash!

I wouldn't say that. If the Jog is fitted with pillion pegs (I don't know - but a fellow Jog owner may be able to jump in and let us know...) then it is okay to carry your partner on the back. If it doesn't then you can't - plain and simple to the letter of the law. Also - does anyone know what the max weight a Jog can carry is?

newzealandpower
17th July 2008, 22:25
does anyone feel like jumping in and helping me out? I kinda need to buy a scooter asap and wouldn't mind to know which one!
Thankssss

swedencamilla
18th July 2008, 13:59
Before you pick a scooter, consider a small motorcycle like the Scorpio. It is much more fun to ride, can take 2 people easily once you have a full licence. The cost is just a little under 4 k. It copes well with hills and the extra power and acceleration can take you out of tricky situations. I just love riding mine, but I am just a beginner. I suggest you do a Learn to Ride and Basic Handling Skills course and test riding both scooters and motorcycles before you decide. Andrew Templeton at Roadsafe is a great guy to learn with. I initially started looking at scooters and was researching it quite in depth. The Jog has had great reviews as far as scooters goes. Someone I know has a Jog and uses it to commute from Brooklyn in Wellington. He probably weighs about 75 kg and the Jog won't do more than 30 uphill. Certainly the Jog would struggle to pull out of a tricky situation going uphill. Don't skimp on protective gear, you need the same stuff regardless of if you have a motorcycle or a scooter- helmet, jacket, trousers, boots and gloves. I found the guys at TSS very helpful and friendly.

melzyx
19th July 2008, 22:50
If the jog doesn't fit you both you could get two small scooters. would cost around $4400. If you wanted to go somewhere but your partner wanted to go somewhere eles there wouldnt be a problem. Or you could just do what the dude above said

And do you really need Jacket, Pants and boots for a scooter?

swedencamilla
20th July 2008, 00:37
I work in an emergency department and I see plenty of people that have been involved in various traffic accidents. I would not dream of using a scooter without the protective gear!!!!! I know a lot of riding scooters scimp big time, but they end up regretting it after a big bin with lots of skin lost and various fractures.

howdamnhard
20th July 2008, 01:04
If you want to go two up forget a small scooter and buy a bike.

Del Fuego
21st July 2008, 19:17
I think you will find that the Jog is not set up with pillion pegs etc. You could go with two small scoots or something a bit bigger... 125cc-300cc that will carry the both of you with ease

Willdat?
22nd July 2008, 10:58
We have a Hyosung SF50R Rally, it's a 2 stroke and a 2 seater, does 65 km/h + with wife and I on board. To carry passengers it MUST have a pillion seat and pillion footpegs. The Hyosung and the TGP 101s are two of the few that will do this...

Azzman
22nd July 2008, 14:19
I have a Hyosung SB50 Supercab and I have found it a really good scooter, it is a lot bigger than the Suzuki SJ (not sure how that size compares with the Jog) so it is heaps better for carrying 2 people and it has pegs for the pillion.

Slightly slower than the SJ but not a lot in it, and gets along at 60-65 easily. It is deristricted by cutting the blue wire to the CDI. Roller weights and everything else is all standard.

NedKellley
26th July 2008, 23:19
I think the "Two Scoots is better than one" approach would be best mate, and get them "de-restricted", you are both away and rolling around Wellington, up and down the hills with ease!!

Happy trails!:clap: