PDA

View Full Version : 95 ron

RantyDave
22nd July 2006, 13:04
Hi,

Manual for my new bike says it takes 95 RON fuel. We get 91 and 98 here, don't we? Which should I put in?

Dave

sAsLEX
22nd July 2006, 13:12
Either it dont really matter to be honest, some will say 91 some will say 98 in the end try either and if it works..... well it works

Depends how you ride it really, and how big your wallet is.

If you can afford 98 then go for it, if you can't then 91.

merv
22nd July 2006, 13:17
Probably more than half the gas stations are selling 91 and 95 in Welly still and not 98 so buy the 95 its cheaper.

James Deuce
22nd July 2006, 13:28
We get 95 here. Stop being such a Ranty Mongrel.

Most petrol stations have 95 and 91, a few have 91 95 and 98, and some have 91 and 98. If you can't get 95, run it on 98.

Motu
22nd July 2006, 13:47
And make sure you use only motorcycle fuel - car petrol will destroy your motor and make your clutch slip.

Ixion
22nd July 2006, 14:04
And whatever you do, do not pump your tyres up using the air hose at a petrol station. That air is designed for car tyres, motorcycle tyres, with the higher loads that motorcycling places on them require specialy filtered air. You need to take your bike to a bike shop to have the tyres pumped up.

Motu
22nd July 2006, 14:49
Too right - with my Pajero with the big floatation tyres I have to use ''soft'' air,if I use ordinary car tyre air in them the ride is far too harsh.

sAsLEX
22nd July 2006, 14:57
And whatever you do, do not pump your tyres up using the air hose at a petrol station. That air is designed for car tyres, motorcycle tyres, with the higher loads that motorcycling places on them require specialy filtered air. You need to take your bike to a bike shop to have the tyres pumped up.

Now here I was reading through that post and was expecting the old "air gauges there are way out, you need to know exactly how much air is in your tire! " speech

Your punishment, go find the chippie and get a bucket of striped paint son!

merv
22nd July 2006, 15:44
Motu I though you were going to say don't put any water in the motor, .... or the fuel tank. Hey you'd be wishing you were taking the 230 into the Lakes with the boys here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32746&highlight=katrine coz I still wish I was in the South Island when runs like that come up.

RantyDave
22nd July 2006, 16:04
If you can't get 95, run it on 98.
Ta. After my minor flap I indeed found me some 95 after all. It ate a fair bit though. Will post more this evening, when there is no sun and therefore I don't have better things to do.

Oh, and "special motorcycle air" ... yeah, thanks boys.

Dave

James Deuce
22nd July 2006, 18:09
Running in a new engine takes a great deal more energy that a run in engine would in normal use. You're using that energy to make things fit and seal. It'll be much better after about 600kms.

The motorcycle fuel pumps are usually round the side by the toilets. Well it is at Mobil stations.

But watch out for that car tyre air. Those guys are right. A mate of a mate was blown to bits after the car air overheated his tyres and they exploded. The heat from the tyre flash ignited the vapours in his petrol tank as well - kaBOOOM!

merv
22nd July 2006, 18:18
Careful Jim watch the blood pressure if ya getting too excited!