PDA

View Full Version : Trail Rides

XRNR
22nd April 2003, 01:33
Can anyone share with me some good trail rides.

Woop dee doo Woodhill is a bit much of a work out for me and my big old girl, plus I don't like what sand does to her.

Riverhead is good, but is restricted to WMCC and organised rides only, These dont often suit me as I am a shift worker.

I want to take a trip down to Thunder-Cross Valley Bike Park. Any one been there?

I want gravel roads, firebreaks, mud, more gear changes than first and second. And no restrictions on when I can be there.

I like the 60-140kph trails like the BMW safaris, I loved riding in the South Island!

Now I live in AK and if its not an OSH requirement, A Resource Management Act, owned by Carter Holt Harvey or a newly sprouted subdivision there aren't many places to ride.

I am sure there must be stuff hidden away out of Auckland. Do you know where?

XRNR
24th June 2003, 21:57
From FireFight

Ive been to thunder valley, It rocks, good tracks, long fast section, tricky bits, swamp, Ive ridden at most places in the greater AK area, I also work at woodhill bike park, so I know it back to front.

Thunder valley is well worth a ride, bit of a long drive for people over the shore, but worth it, I would rate it 9 out of 10 for value and fun, did I mention it also got moto cross tracks,

I am a shift worker as well, But the guy that runs it James Fowllie
has let me out there durning the week. Only dont go if its pissing down with rain, it gets a bit sticky.

Dave
25th June 2003, 10:44
I've been into the bush down by thames just past kopu pub-theirs trails there that you can ride all day.
Also ring power adventures-they have heaps on all the time.

XRNR
19th July 2003, 10:21
Woodhill bike park (soft sand is hard going on a 600)

Thundercross valley bike park Glen Murray sh22 (has natural terain MX track and 20km enduro loop. can be steep in places, if its wet its a nightmare. Dry or if it hasnt rained for a day or 2 its great fun. Fees aply at both venues.

I am glad some one else finds the soft sand hard going. Not like the guys on the 250's who seem to float accross it.

Mitch
19th July 2003, 22:29
I was out there on a Pampera 250 last weekend and there was alot of hard work and not much floating going on :p 

That is some of the hardest riding i've ever done, I don't sweat like that racing that's for damn sure!!

Kwaka-Kid
19th July 2003, 22:47
hah, whats wrong with woodhill? i grew up on it on hte SL/XL125's. XL/XR250's and the last of my trail bikes i have left, XR200... I loved it :) havnt been there scince i was like maybe 15? :( too long, the poor 200 needs a reco, and i dont have the time, and havnt had in last few years, lol.   But i reckon its great, just keep that chain wet and the air filter cleaned after every day...  I loved those smaller kids areas (even when i basically outgrew them and all) despite being small little circuits you could really get to know them, start digging (as much as u can on little 250's etc) little ruts through ur fav. spots... now thats one thing i preferd about trail riding to road racing.. i seem to have like WAAAY more RP's all over tracks of woodhill, and they could change easily etc.. so i enjoyed it and think i did well for a tiny kid taming a 1978/80 XL250 (when i was 11), whereas i think thats my problemo on puke, maybe, i dunno..

But yeah mitch, i never get headaches as such, but i find Circuit racing to be like, more mental or somthing, i am really really concentrating and i can tell i am, maybe its just im not at the point where it feels natural, maybe im trying to over-do it, dunno, but trail riding never felt like it reqiured as much thinking (For me) as it did the friggen upper-body strength a 11/12yo doesnt have on bigger bikes... Why didnt daddy just lemmie have a 2-smoke :(

Firefight
21st July 2003, 21:52
Hey Kk, you got a cool attitude, come back and give woodhill a go, it's changed heaps, I'll even lend you a bike.

cheers

firefight.:rockon:

Kwaka-Kid
21st July 2003, 22:36
careful firefight :) i might just take you up on that oneday :)

hah nah i have a problem riding other peoles bikes man, but its making me think hardout about reco'in the old 200, or jsut gettin a new trail bike

SPman
21st July 2003, 23:55
Any areas out there a mighty TS90 can handle?:)

Firefight
22nd July 2003, 00:27
Another cool attitude

Yes SP , I'am sure we can find somewere for a TS 90:gob:

DZL
14th August 2003, 18:35
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mitch
[B]I was out there on a Pampera 250 last weekend and there was alot of hard work and not much floating going on :p 

A Pampera huh, I'm trying to wangle a ride on the demo soon, DO tell all about it huh! No doubt it was great for playing Sammy Miller on,but how does it go when ya wanna whip a bit more speed out of it?

I presently have a near-new DT230 which is bloody deeelightful ~ it hasnt been able to throw me orf, YET ~ but I like the idea of that big beefy bottom-end plonk plonk of the Pampera. Seems there is also a 280 available in Europe, dunno if they'll come/replace the 250 here . .. . .

Ta 

Mitch
14th August 2003, 22:06
Heya DZL  has been a long time since i've been out in the dirt but I would have to rate the Pampera!!!  It had enough power to get me both in the shit and out of it (well not always out) :o   :p    Was great fun though!!!!!

Also one seriously resiliant bike!!  I went over the bars twice and ended up under it more times that I could count and it's still in one piece :rolleyes: 

Not to sure about the 280, i'm pretty sure we aren't looking at importing them in the near future, HOWEVER, I am wrong all the time.

I hope to take the EC 200 out next although it is a little more intimidating than the Pampera!!!!   :o

Firefight
17th August 2003, 10:03
Hey Mitch, how about you give us call, when your takin the EC out, would be interested to see how it goes out their with the other bikes.

firefight:rockon:

DZL
19th August 2003, 14:48
Had a ride on the Pampera yesty, will go post some comments under offroad etc to make it a bit more visible in case anybuddy else is interested.

CIAO

DZL

XRNR
12th October 2003, 10:16
Bit late finding out about this one.

Will be there all going well, looks like heaven!

18-19 OCT 03

http://www.epicevents.co.nz/desertstorm/

Firefight
12th October 2003, 14:16
Yeah its bloody good, Ive done it twice, camped the first time, second time stayed @ motel in Ohakune, down side to that spent too long in the pub that night with all the others talking bikes/shit(as you do) good event, last time I did it there were about 700 riders,, but amazingly, you can ride for about 10 mins and find your self alone, my partner came too , she found most of it okay, did her first river crossing without mishap, regret not able to go this time, you will enjoy it, lots of long bits that would suit your 600 ,don,t forget plenty of warm gear, and stay out of the kune pub.(ps, pm me if you want to borrow my trailer)
cheers

firefight:cool:

DZL
12th October 2003, 15:14
I did it twice as well, prolly a 'never again' with my weather-luck . .. . . first time there had been lotsa rain & all those bloody deep tanktracks had turned into slippery waterslides like ya pay to ride at the 'quatic centre. Yuk!

Second time it had been as dry as a dead dingos donga for yonks, & I have NEVER seen SO much bloody dust since I rode the backblocks in OZ ~ it soon got so bad ya hadda just try to keep a bead on the colour-blur of the hat on the guy in front & hope for the best . . . yuk again!

. . . . neither rate as my favourite forms of fun . . . but at least the river crossing didnt get me!

BrooC  ;-))

Wellyman
5th January 2004, 19:21
ThuderCross park is great in summer but don't go in the winter :cold: :sweatdrop but good in summer! had a test ride on a CRF250 last weekend! :shit: damn its fast gotta hold on for dear life!!