PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: RGV 250

Two Smoker
4th June 2004, 18:15
Hey everyone,

Well i was just at Colemans, and they basically told me i need to upgrade to a RGV because i ride the RG150 too hard....... (im sure i could ride it harder........)

Im looking for a 1991+ RGV250, wanted from a dealer (due to warranty and finance etc), preferably lowish kays (like the 20000-35000 mark) or had a recent rebuild...

I am willing to travel (but not to the south island) and will have enough for a deposit in the next 3 weeks :niceone:

Anything i should look for when looking at the RGV?

Oh and im not selling the RG hehehe, thats going to stay for a SS150 racer and occassional blatter.....

Cheers..

marty
4th June 2004, 19:07
because you ride too hard? and you're not gonna ride and RGV too hard? they are doing a monster sales pitch on ya man - be careful. that's like telling WT that he needs to upgrade his 600 to a 1000, cause he rides it too hard......

Two Smoker
4th June 2004, 19:16
because you ride too hard? and you're not gonna ride and RGV too hard? they are doing a monster sales pitch on ya man - be careful. that's like telling WT that he needs to upgrade his 600 to a 1000, cause he rides it too hard......
LOL, no its because little things are starting to go, like the constant brake pad changes, and having to work the engine so hard to try and see Sudeep for more than 10 corners :crazy:

I want a RGV myself as well, for the extra grunt mid corner..... not that fussed about tokp speed just higher entry speed i need......

Hoon
4th June 2004, 21:04
Honestly dude, save your money until you get a full licence. Then you can buy a bigger and better bike.

But if you must get a faster bike, as always check the mileage isn't too high. If so, make sure its had a top end rebuild lately and also the power valves make sure they are in good nick. If you can't find the right RGV, consider maybe a NSR250 or a TZR250.

Two Smoker
4th June 2004, 21:08
Honestly dude, save your money until you get a full licence. Then you can buy a bigger and better bike.

But if you must get a faster bike, as always check the mileage isn't too high. If so, make sure its had a top end rebuild lately and also the power valves make sure they are in good nick. If you can't find the right RGV, consider maybe a NSR250 or a TZR250.
Yep those are all possibilites, i would love a 400 hundred, but licence is a long way away...... so need a faster bike now, im not ruling out the NSR or TZR but would much rather a RGV......

Ghost Lemur
4th June 2004, 21:21
Going by Bike Point, you're better off looking at the other two options (three if you include that even rarer Kwaka model). BP only lists two atm, one's a race bike (looks quite nice, but unsuitable for what you're after) and the other is a Nekkid one (which chances are mean it's had a major accident and was cheaper to leave the fairings off that get them repaired/replaced).

If you can somehow arrange private finance though, there is this one (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Road-bikes/Japanese/auction-11867035.htm), which looks pretty damn nice.

The TZR and NSR definitely seem to be way more common though.

curious george
5th June 2004, 08:20
w00t! Another convert to 250 RGV's!!!
Mt Eden have a few nsr's and tzr's. I didn't think that you would get much of a warranty with a two stroke, what with siezure and all that.

You in Auckland? Give me a yell if you find one you like, I have a 45 deg fiberoptic scope you can use to look through the spark plug holes. It gives an excellent picture of the inside of the barrel, telling you how much wear etc.
I've just done that to the Aprilia rs250 engine thats going into the RGV.
I'm at aGaggle today, but 021 1645345 if you are arround this weekend

6Chris6
5th June 2004, 08:39
having to work the engine so hard to try and see Sudeep for more than 10 corners :crazy:

Shit.
You get to see him for 10 corners.
This is a bloody good effort dude, last time i went out with him i was lucky to see him for 4 :laugh:

sAsLEX
5th June 2004, 12:51
only 1 for me!

Two Smoker
5th June 2004, 13:35
Shit.
You get to see him for 10 corners.
This is a bloody good effort dude, last time i went out with him i was lucky to see him for 4 :laugh:
LOL, in the real tight and twisty stuff, i was infront (like 25kmh corners) in the wet i sort of kept up the whole way, but as soon as it was dry with open sweepers i didnt have a chance in hell.......

Will take you up on the CG, sounds like a good plan......

Thanks for that GL, i have also seen these and not a big fan of that naked one.... I know Mt Eden Motorcycles has a 89 RGV250 but it has 42000+ kays on the clock.....

Firefight
5th June 2004, 20:26
[QUOTE=Two Smoker, and having to work the engine so hard to try and see Sudeep for more than 10 corners :crazy:

Ah, now let me get this clear in my head Chris, you are changing your bike cause your 150 won,t keep Sudeep in sight, :killingme ah .........right :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well you can borrow my bike, but I don't think that will work :mad: , I can't keep up with him either ,I think he is going to come back from Taupo even faster ! so you have a real problem, maybe our new freind Allah can help ??

F/F :wacko:

Two Smoker
5th June 2004, 20:30
[QUOTE=Two Smoker, and having to work the engine so hard to try and see Sudeep for more than 10 corners :crazy:

Ah, now let me get this clear in my head Chris, you are changing your bike cause your 150 won,t keep Sudeep in sight, :killingme ah .........right :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Well you can borrow my bike, but I don't think that will work :mad: , I can't keep up with him either ,I think he is going to come back from Taupo even faster ! so you have a real problem, maybe our new freind Allah can help ??

F/F :wacko:I know :wacko: ..... i was hoping I would come back from taupo faster :( ...... ive got no show of keeping with him..... hes soooooo damn fast... but i can keep up a little better on the sweepers and straights with an RGV hehehe.... (hopefully)

If only i wasnt such a slow rider :(

Has anyone seen RGV's at some dealers recently????

Antallica
6th June 2004, 02:06
Saw this '91 RGV250 while pissing around on the net. Dunno anything about it but you might want to enquire more.

http://www.trade4free.co.nz/auction.php?id=61289

Ghost Lemur
6th June 2004, 08:31
If you don't mind paying a premium. It could be an idea to get in touch with this guy (http://www.emoto.co.nz). He deals via TradeMe as well as wholesaling to retailers.

See if he can import one especially for you. k14 got his cbr250rr from him, sounds like a really good guy.

magic 4
15th July 2004, 22:11
Hey mate ,dont know if you found a rgv . I got one for sale . 91 , 38 000, just been rebuilt . NOT blue and white unfortunatly .

I m in Christchurch ,If your interested let me know :niceone:

goleman@paradise.net.nz

Motoracer
16th July 2004, 10:26
This is just how hard he rides it. He only got less than 1000Kms from his rear tire last time!! He get's his engine worked on more often than I can probably remember. Last time he ended up scraping his pegs, knee slider, the side of his boots (not the toe, the actual whole side of it) around the corner and no that wasn't when he came off!!

F5 Dave
16th July 2004, 16:02
Hey I don’t want to piss on your parade, but the RGVs & NSRs, TZRs etc were the last fling of the jap 2 stroke power race. They were great bikes in their time but they traded reliability for power. Far more so than the RZs etc that preceded them.

The weak points with the RGV was the cranks, gearbox & mostly the powervalves which fret & drop into the engine (top cylinder aided by gravity). The TZRs crack barrels & well all these bikes were a bit suss & lets face it a ’91 is coming on 14yrs old. :eek5: :eek5:

If you want one & you are not relying on it for transport & you have the budget to replace the crank at a whim then go for it. I’d just hate to see you bikeless, unable to fix a constantly breaking bike.

And this is coming from a total 2 stroke freak. If they made a modern TZR500 I’d buy one.

FROSTY
16th July 2004, 20:35
Maybee he should be looking at one of those euro 250 strokers instead

Two Smoker
17th July 2004, 18:42
Hey Magic 4, that would be an awesome bike, but its a bit far for me to go, and ive just spent $800 on a new piston for my current bike :(

Thanks for the offer :niceone: and thanks for that info F5 Dave, yep i knew about the power valve problem, but the crankshaft was a new one for me, cheers :niceone: well i would love a 600cc bike, but alas im still going for a 250 2stroke for power and licence problems.....

wickedstuff
24th January 2005, 21:59
Hi Guys if any of you thinking or wanting to buy one? few little pointers :)
buy a 95 model and up as it has the stronger modified power valves !
try your very best to buy a bike under 20,000km miage as about every 20,000 your up for new pistons to keep the motor in good nick, while piston kits arent that badly priced $140 p/kit x2 cyl. for oem, every other kit more!
its the labour charge that sticks the price up if you pay some one else to fix it for you, quite a complex little bike. check from fork seals, ask if it has had th4e front forks modified as std forks are very soft under hard riding! try and get some sort past history of the bike like who serviced it and how often? what 2 stk oil has been used? while you can run high quality mineral oil its best to run expensive 100% sythetic oil (2 stk oil) you can still use mineral in the g/box. check for any crash damage like the front headlight bracket inside the fairing this usually gets bent and rewelded after a crash! check rad fins as well, these the basics! good luck! good bike to own as long as you treat them well and maintain them well. lots of fun! :)

All the best!