PDA

View Full Version : When life flashes before your eyes!!

kickingzebra
22nd July 2006, 19:08
Racing today @ manfield, Go easy, it's my first time...

Maybe they did go easy on me, Cause I didn't place too badly!!

The KB GSXR 600 clan in clubmans was pretty damn impressive! We had Mikey, Lil bugger is pretty damn fast!! Rossi Gal, Whoa, she gave me a damn good run for my money, and for what its worth, she really did deserve the 3rd in that last race!!

In a relatively large clubmans feild, maybe 20 odd bikes, the KB crew was right up there!

The day began with wife and I rolling in to manfeild, early we thought, at 7:30.
How wrong was that??

It was mayhem to try and find room to put the trailer to unload, and pit spaces were out of the question.

Rolled up next to Motobob. Speedie was sitting happily in a pit bay.
He's saving it for Poos and Rossi Gal. When they finally arrived (bit hard to get out of the wrapper in the rain apparently) They didn't need it, as They had other agents on a similiar task. Two full pit bays reserved... That is love!!
Anyway, we scored the one next to Motobob, as they deemed it to low for their standards!

My first time on the long track ever, and I am in borrowed leathers, Looking damn good, cheers Quasi!! I was paranoid for the last few days, but woke just amped!

Qualifying, and I have no idea how they work it, so kinda cruise around, treating it like a warmup.

Qualified 7th, and began the wait...
Feels like forever until your race comes up. Must have taken me 10 seconds after the announcement that clubmans were due on the grid, to start in 10 minutes. A little nervous, but no where near as nervous as I normally am on trackdays?!

They open the gates, I'm still quite confused about it all, so feel a bit apprehensive when someone passes me, on a 250 stroker none the less!!
Anyway, the grid is on us by then, so I look at the painted numbers, choose No 7 and sit on it.
Then I realise there are more than 7 people in front of me... Something ain't right!!
Look up a bit further, and I see chalk numbers...
Feeling like a right git, I wheel the bike forward and over to the real 7.

The start comes, and I did my usual mediocre job, but fortunately everyone else was pretty bad too, so I still jumped 2 spots.

Then a guy on a zxr 400 starts going for me. We dice, to be fair, he is probably better in the corners, but the mighty Gixxer is much quicker on the gas. So eventually I leave him in my wake.

After 2 laps I see the checkered flag. What the?? Then I think slightly more seriously, it has been 4, I was just too focussed!!

Made a respectable 5th of the start grid, 1st in clubmans B (Mikey got shifted up. He came 2nd, ground his knee up, no sliders on, nice new hole in the leathers... Bugger!!)

Second race was no stress at all, Buggered my start (Aria beat me!!!) Wheelied off the line, then off the gas to get it down, lost 2 places.
Clawed them back pretty quick, and was having a real go at a guy on an RSV 1000. Finally passed him on the last turn, onto the front straight. After a quick double take, he powered on. The thou delivers a bit more horsey than the 6 hundy, so he clawed me out to take me by less than half a second. Bugger!!! Finished 4th off the grid, 1st clubmans B again.

The next race, aria kicked my Arse off the line, and cruised into 3rd position. She was taking perfect lines, so I couldn't get her on the inside, which I prefer. Only a two lap race, so it was frantic. I dunno about anyone else, but I was powersliding left right and centre. Go the mighty shinkos!!
Aria fully deserved a 3rd in that race, but had a slapper on the back corner, and I got her.

So, having never raced long track before, I was stoked with it!! Perfect day, perfect track, perfect ride!!

So 1st clubmans B for me, I think I might have to move up now. The question is, should it be F2, or Clubmans A for a while yet?!

Anyway, bloody brilliant day from all involved. I'll let DSS3 and Loose Bruce tell you of their muppetry of the mangina. Bloody good fun all the way, thanks to VMCC and all the racers, BIG thanks to Holeshot Motorcycles, looking after me, and Quasi, for stickers, and the go fast leathers!! CHeers Alll, well done, and see you next time!!

Edbear
22nd July 2006, 19:14
Good write up KKZ! Sounds like you had fun!:first:

babyB
22nd July 2006, 20:20
congrats KickinZ. cool write up. well done

as for clubmans well the choice ie yours ..no 1 can realy force you to go up.
i think you need to work out how comfortable you feel out there. ie theres good riders out there who are uncomfortable with the close riding/ passing out there, so they stay a little longer.... your choice

Big Chim
23rd July 2006, 11:23
Whicked man, sounds like you had a rad time.

Rossi Gal
23rd July 2006, 17:47
awesome write up dude!!!

Yup well what an awesome day!! i know many of you have done this before, but like KickingZebra it was a first for me. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Mint weather, Bike was running sweet, and no 'whoopsies' either. i tried telling myself it was just like any track day, that worked till we actually pulled into the drive then i got these stupid butterfly thingys!! dam annoying. but didnt last for long as had a bit to do. well actually iv gotta give Speedi all the credit there, was so awesome having you there helping out. dont think it would have gone as smoothly as it did without you.
The KB GSXR 600 clan was pretty cool haha i do believe there is a good pic of that.
but i liked the lil girly clan (all 2 of us) haha Go Viki!! Biker Chick Chat Back darl hahahah (had to be there)
It was soo cool to get out there and have a go finally. got my starts down pat, 3rd time lucky i say, grew some balls and decided not to let anyone pass me and got Hole Shot, Yay haha
but anyway not in the mood to write a novel yet, so ill just leave it at that for now. Thanks again to everyone helping. and good on ya to all the other neebies for giving it a go. was impressive to see all you big boys out there doing ya thing too. :) anyways, ill see you all at the next round
cheers
Aria