PDA

View Full Version : Brake pads rubbing?

Darryboy
4th June 2004, 19:08
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the bike scene (got my bike a week ago)

A couple of things.

The front brake pads seem to rub when at a certain point on the disc.
(short rub sound that repeats faster as I speed up)
Is this normal for a new bike? (2004 Suzuki GSX250)

Also I (foolishly) left the choke half on after the engine warmed when I went for a ride last night which caused the bike to backfire a few times, the exhaust tone hasn't changed but could I have damaged the engine? (still running her in with 300km on the odo)

Cheers,
Darren

Two Smoker
4th June 2004, 19:12
Get the bike to the bike shop as soon as you can too see if the front disc is bent...... (the easiest way to tell if it is, is if you pull the brake on you can feel the lever pulse) dont worry about the choke thing, shouldnt have dont any damage, you havent heard a backfire till you hear SpankMe's SV1000S :crazy:

Posh Tourer :P
4th June 2004, 20:00
I would ignore the brakes if the otherwise feel fine (see twosmoker's comment), and let them bed in. There are likely to be a few high spots here and there...

White trash
5th June 2004, 10:38
Welcome to KB, Darryboy!

Your brakes are most likely fine. If you feel a shudder when aplying them or feel the lever "pulse", you could have a problem.

In regard to the choke thing, you wont have caused any problems. The new GSXs are notoriously lean. Ask your dealer to richen the mixture by lifting the needles or changing the main jet at your first service.

I get all my customers bikes done from new here. Otherwise, they need to be on the choke for the first 15 minutes.

Good choice of bike and I look forward to seeing you on the road. :niceone:

Ms Piggy
5th June 2004, 11:37
Welcome to KB's & riding! Two great choices made already!! :niceone: You'll meet some great people here.

As far as the stuff to do with your brakes & choke...what they said.

Darryboy
5th June 2004, 12:48
Cheers guys,

Took it in today and there wasn't a problem.
Thanks for all the advice.