PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 919 questions

TerminalAddict
23rd July 2006, 14:54
1. Is that a choke I see? should I use it as a choke?
2. where the hell is the reserve tank tap?
3. tyre pressure (recommended?) the manual says 36/41 the shop said 36/38

many more to come .. . I'm sure :)

babyB
23rd July 2006, 15:44
thought about this hard.....
nope cant help :nya: unless i can testrun it for a week first:rofl: :innocent:

these might b of intrest to ya
http://www.919.org/ -hit the *vertical grey bar on the right*
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/hornet900/

Kendog
23rd July 2006, 16:03
1. Is that a choke I see? should I use it as a choke?

many more to come .. . I'm sure :)

1. It is a choke. I have not had to use it yet, and its been damn cold a few times.
2. No reserve tap. It has a reserve light, comes on with about 3 liters left.
3. Personal preference here. I have been running at 36/41 but will be trying lower following others feedback.

merv
23rd July 2006, 16:36
If its typical Honda like my VFR, fire it up from cold with the choke on full, let it idle as you put your gear on, as the idle speed rises knock the choke back a bit to keep it at a fast but not too fast idle. Then when you are ready to jump on turn the choke right off if its ready to idle OK without it, then away you go.

Fuel warning light is just like a car so no pissing around with a reserve tap, but get fuel when the light comes on or figure out how far it will go with the light up and don't cut it too fine.

Tyre pressures on the VFR are 36/42 so similar to the Hornet and it is perfect on that. Any less and it won't steer as sharp and feels kind of dozy.

Zapf
23rd July 2006, 17:36
Answers...
Choke is left over from the older engine design, its manual enrichment, the ECU is taking care of that now.

Fuel light...

Rear pressure... 42 ~ 38 psi, all depends on rider perference / suspension setup and the tire. I suggest you set it at 40 psi for a while and the add 2 or minus 2 psi and feel the difference.

TerminalAddict
23rd July 2006, 18:04
is 170kms when the ight comes on normal?

I was "testing" it ... and had it to 170 for about 15 minutes

Zapf
23rd July 2006, 18:14
is 170kms when the ight comes on normal?

I was "testing" it ... and had it to 170 for about 15 minutes

lol... 170 for 15 mins! You would have travelled 42.5km in that time! Glad you have found a very big private road.

I am suprised that you hung on and not got blowen away...:blip:

well at more sedate speeds I get an average 240~250km before the fuel light comes on.

TerminalAddict
23rd July 2006, 18:42
I went out (edited out upon other users request) .. 60 kms of almost straight roads . .were I can "test" some stuff between (somewhere and somewhere else).

I did 220kms today in 1 hour 45 minutes :) needless to say the rest of time was much more sedate :P

I managed 20 kms once the light turned on, so I guess that's fair "buffer"

The wind was a lot nicer when I ducked down just a little bit .. I reckon that wee bug catcher helped :)

130 was perfect, held up my body quite nicely, with barely any weight on my hands.

.... ok now I think about it .. t'was probably more like 7 minutes rather than 15 minutes .. but felt good all the same :)

cornering is amazing .. I'm going to have to learn a fair bit to corner properly, but corners that I could "push" around at 120 on the virago, I could *breeze* around at 130 on the hornet .. WOW!

still I think it will be a long time before its the bike that slows me down .. I definately slow the bike down :)

150+ is uncomfortable with the wind, and I don't think I'll be doing that much anymore .. I was just curious :)

TerminalAddict
24th July 2006, 13:39
so today I went back to boyds to clean up the paper work, get insurance sorted, all the normal shit.

Only to find out that Greg had fitted custom pipes on it that he reckons are worth $600 :)
He's all like: "you don't want to keep them do you? a quieter bike would be much nicer"
I'm like: "BAHAHAHAHAHAHA :) w00t ... yay me"

I fired up a hornet with standard pipes on, and difference is amazing ...
He reckons the pipes give a wee bit more omph in low to mid revs, and they sound awesome

I'll take an "O" for awesome thanks mr boyd ;)

Kendog
24th July 2006, 14:18
Nice work that!! Don't ya love freebes!! I wondered, when you mentioned that it sounded great, my hornet sounded like a sewing machine before I changed the pipes!! Nice one.
Mrs KD.

TerminalAddict
25th July 2006, 08:50
couple more questions:
1. Tank bags have flappy bits I assume with magnet inside them, but I notice many of them have clips as well. can I use a tank bag as a "tail" bag on the pillion seat, and clip it on?

2. is a tank protector thing ma jig worth it?

merv
25th July 2006, 08:59
couple more questions:

Don't use tank bags so won't comment on that, but if you don't protect your paint where your parts rub you'll find the paint colour gets on your leathers - a sure sign the paint is wearing off - so yeah protect it. I use Scuffproof myself for an all over type protection and not just a tank protector. There are more modern stick ons you can try but whatever you do, do something else the paint will wear off.

TerminalAddict
25th July 2006, 09:03
thanks . .I'd hate to have maroon coloured "bits" ;)

pretty much what I thought .. just wanted some more opinions

WickedOne
25th July 2006, 09:04
couple more questions:
1. Tank bags have flappy bits I assume with magnet inside them, but I notice many of them have clips as well. can I use a tank bag as a "tail" bag on the pillion seat, and clip it on?

Some tank bags can be used as "tail bags" as well, just depends if you can strap them on securely or not...

Yeah, tank protector is well worth it, nothing worse than having a scratched tank.

rua
25th July 2006, 09:13
I got some tankslapper from www.sportsbikesnz.co.nz , they had to order it but service was quick and product is real good, nothing worse than a new bike getting marked up.

WickedOne
25th July 2006, 09:58
thanks . .I'd hate to have maroon coloured "bits" ;)

pretty much what I thought .. just wanted some more opinions

You may find this interesting as well. http://www.919.org/
There are a lot of Hornet sites out there with lots of info so have a browse around.

pritch
25th July 2006, 13:24

Re 2. I'm not sure exactly how much is in reserve but I guess it works out about a US gallon. Once you've got an idea how many Ks you get per litre you'll have an idea how far reserve'll take you but trying for 70k might be just a bit bold.

Re 3. If memory serves correct pressure is 36 and 42, it's in the manual and it's on the swingarm.

Once upon a time you had a base pressure then you added a couple of psi if you were travelling fast, more if you had a passenger, and yet more if you also had luggage. These days it seems you get one set of pressures, consequently a lot of people regard these as maximums. At 36 and 42 it does seem a bit high but I have been running that anyway with no ill effects to date.

Have fun