PDA

View Full Version : Women's Back protectors for track riding?

quickerchick
23rd July 2006, 16:49
Hi everybody. I have started to get into a bit of track riding on my CBR, and I was wondering what Back protectors are suitable for small women? I am only a size 10 and very narrow across the back. Is there another women out there that can give me some advice in this department? Thanks:rockon:

Motu
23rd July 2006, 16:58
I thought it was the front of women that was different.Try youth off road gear - they wear back protectors too y'know..

quickerchick
23rd July 2006, 17:08
I need a back protector for Road Bike Riding... not dirt bikes!

Quasievil
23rd July 2006, 17:46
Hi, I have size small back protectors, check out the link below, cheers

Dafe
23rd July 2006, 17:56
Personally, I'd recommend one of these.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23834&department=108&Division=1

You can get one from your local Spidi dealer. I find the spidi brand back protectors don't press into the back of your neck and they generally fit well. The ladies and the guys ones are very similar.

If you got the dollars. Look at the top model, the airback protector.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23822&department=108&Division=1

I don't think the airback does a specific ladies model though.

Quasievil
23rd July 2006, 20:44
Personally, I'd recommend one of these.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23834&department=108&Division=1

You can get one from your local Spidi dealer. I find the spidi brand back protectors don't press into the back of your neck and they generally fit well. The ladies and the guys ones are very similar.

If you got the dollars. Look at the top model, the airback protector.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/item.aspx?style=23822&department=108&Division=1

I don't think the airback does a specific ladies model though.

SPIDI = overpriced under performing rip off, well thats my opinion but each to their own.
They are to thick and clumsey and if you havent got heaps of spare room in your leathers they can make the jacket or one piece way to tight, or so my customers tell me when I sell them a QUASiMOTO one

Motu
23rd July 2006, 21:27
EN 1621-2 CE standard of course?.......

Qkchk
23rd July 2006, 21:31
Hmmm, never knew a R1 was slower than a CBR600?

Quasievil
24th July 2006, 08:39
EN 1621-2 CE standard of course?.......

Yes thats right

placidfemme
24th July 2006, 09:30
Hi, I have size small back protectors, check out the link below, cheers

Hey I totally recommend Quasievil's back protectors... was wearing one of his when I crashed... did its job 110% :)

Keystone19
24th July 2006, 09:58
I use one of Quasi' s back protctors on the track. I was concerned that the size was not right also as I am not that big either. I asked at a couple of shops who know this stuff and was told it was fine.

Oh yeah, I've come off twice on the track wearing Quasi's gear (gloves and back protector) and both have held up well.

bert_is_evil
24th July 2006, 15:41
I was using a Quasimoto back protector, the actual protector is nice and thin but the waistband was quite wide. Because it's a mens fit I had to cross the waistband over at the front so it was in a V pointing downwards to get it snug and not gaping at the top (I'm a size 12 so don't have particularly large hips). Last week I got the SPIDI back warrior - it is a bit thicker in the back but the waist fit's way better than the quasi one so it's much more comfortable.

Let me know if you want me to put some photo's up

BTW I'm definitley not knocking quasi's gear - it's great quality, just didn't fit quite right.

sAsLEX
24th July 2006, 15:48
SPIDI = overpriced under performing rip off

They are expensive yes, I have the airback and it was nearly 500 or so.

But it seems very well engineered with the adition of pnuematic cushioning along with the standard foam and plastic proction, as for it being too big and bulky well I have no prob with it, I took the crappy little foam insert out of my two piece and it fits fine.

See quasi I dont mind spending a bit on some things, but i still have my "jacket" at home if its ever looking like a wet or cold ride!

Quasievil
24th July 2006, 20:23
I was using a Quasimoto back protector, the actual protector is nice and thin but the waistband was quite wide. Because it's a mens fit I had to cross the waistband over at the front so it was in a V pointing downwards to get it snug and not gaping at the top (I'm a size 12 so don't have particularly large hips). Last week I got the SPIDI back warrior - it is a bit thicker in the back but the waist fit's way better than the quasi one so it's much more comfortable.

Let me know if you want me to put some photo's up

BTW I'm definitley not knocking quasi's gear - it's great quality, just didn't fit quite right.

It acts as a kidney belt also, thats why its wide

Quasievil
24th July 2006, 20:24
But it seems very well engineered

You mean over engineered gimmick?

Dafe
24th July 2006, 20:29
SPIDI = overpriced under performing rip off, well thats my opinion but each to their own.
They are to thick and clumsey and if you havent got heaps of spare room in your leathers they can make the jacket or one piece way to tight, or so my customers tell me when I sell them a QUASiMOTO one

Actually, The reason I brought the Spidi is coz it's the only one that was completely comfortable. You don't know it's there.

I have worn one a Quasi one previously (courtesy of Skelstar) and found it kept riding up and digging into the base of my neck (Most uncomfortable). Doesn't happen on the Spidi's though. and the Quasi wasn't even a large size.

Then again - I'm a firm believer, you get what you pay for.
But to add to that: There are different brands that fit different people better. So shop before you buy!

Dafe
24th July 2006, 20:32
They are expensive yes, I have the airback and it was nearly 500 or so.

Kerry from Sawyers sold me an Airback last week for under $350. But then again - He the Man!

Hey I totally recommend Quasievil's back protectors... was wearing one of his when I crashed... did its job 110% :)

I highsided at 100kph and had no back protector on and my back was also %110 fine!

Skyryder
24th July 2006, 20:52
Personaly I think back protectors are as important as the helmet. Don't go anywhere without 'both.'

Skyryder

Quasievil
24th July 2006, 21:00
I have worn one a Quasi one previously (courtesy of Skelstar) and found it kept riding up and digging into the base of my neck (Most uncomfortable). Doesn't happen on the Spidi's though. and the Quasi wasn't even a large size.

Sounds like you were not wearing it correctly, should have the waist band around your hips, not your stomach for a start. if you wear it correctly you wont have a problem mr Dafe.
It does happen on Spidis, as I rode with one for quite some time, then I learnt how to wear them properly

babyB
24th July 2006, 22:40
hay ya Quicker...its no different than any other garment..try on as many as possible untill ya find something your really comfortable with

Sorry Quasi......(i didnt know you back then) ....
I wear a "UFO Plast" an Italian protector . and love it to bits......
at the time (4yr ago) it was 1 of the very few brands that catered for small waist (kidneybelt) with full adult spine length (they have 4 sizes which work on hight mine being Large @ 5'8"). iv takin a hit or 2 & has served me well
The back plate is 9"across. removable pad lined can b cleaned
Tip; look for wide shoulder straps - lol less rubbing on brastraps

but as said try on as many as u can

Dafe
25th July 2006, 06:47
Sounds like you were not wearing it correctly, should have the waist band around your hips, not your stomach for a start. if you wear it correctly you wont have a problem mr Dafe.
It does happen on Spidis, as I rode with one for quite some time, then I learnt how to wear them properly

I don't have that problem on Spidis, Spools or Teknics protectors. Only yours Quasi.

Perhaps Spidi, Spool and Teknics have designed them all incorrectly, and coz they're all wrong, and coz I wear them wrong....... I find them all comfortable!
But when I need to wear your correct one in my wrong manner, It doesn't fit well.:doobey:

Maybe you should write to those companies and recorrect their designs for them.

or maybe as I mentioned earlier.....

I do wear Quasi's right but perhaps Quasi's isn't the right fit for everybody.
Afterall, I don't fit Spidi one piece suits...... But I do fit Alpinestars. Spidi didn't say I was wearing their suits wrong though.
However, Who knows, I should have checked I didn't have my legs in the arm sleeves.

bert_is_evil
25th July 2006, 21:57
Here are some pic's so you can compare the Quasi and the Spidi Back Warrior.

Pic 1 - Spidi
Pic 2 & 4 - Quasi
Pic 3 - Quasi Left, Spidi Right

Kidney belt
The quasi is wider and not shaped for hips so as you can see from the 2nd photo in order to get a snug fit I had to cross it over. The 4th photo shows the quasi not crossed over so it gapes out at the top. This can be avoided by wearing it up higher but as quasi himself suggests it's supposed to be worn on the hips (although I have to say it rides up anyway). The Spidi is shaped (photo 1), fits snugly and doesn't ride up

Dimensions
The quasi is a bit longer at the bottom (from the kidney belt down), and is slightly thinner. The Spidi is lighter and wider across the shoulders.

Ventilation
The Quasi has none, the Spidi has a mesh ventilated duct on the inside that leads to the 3 mesh holes you can see in the pic. The quasi has a removable liner you can wash.

Price
I think the Quasi is $90, the Spidi is $250 (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here)

Safety
They both conform to the same CE safety standard. Coverage wise the Spidi is a bit wider in places, quasi is a bit longer.

Interestingly they are both yellow, perhaps this is the international standard colour for back protection...

bert_is_evil
25th July 2006, 21:59
Damn just took a proper look at those pic's - they are really unflattering :eek5:

Quasievil
25th July 2006, 22:07
Here are some pic's so you can compare the Quasi and the Spidi Back Warrior.

Pic 1 - Spidi
Pic 2 & 4 - Quasi
Pic 3 - Quasi Left, Spidi Right

Kidney belt
The quasi is wider and not shaped for hips so as you can see from the 2nd photo in order to get a snug fit I had to cross it over. The 4th photo shows the quasi not crossed over so it gapes out at the top. This can be avoided by wearing it up higher but as quasi himself suggests it's supposed to be worn on the hips (although I have to say it rides up anyway). The Spidi is shaped (photo 1), fits snugly and doesn't ride up

Dimensions
The quasi is a bit longer at the bottom (from the kidney belt down), and is slightly thinner. The Spidi is lighter and wider across the shoulders.

Ventilation
The Quasi has none, the Spidi has a mesh ventilated duct on the inside that leads to the 3 mesh holes you can see in the pic. The quasi has a removable liner you can wash.

Price
I think the Quasi is $90, the Spidi is $250 (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here)

Safety
They both conform to the same CE safety standard. Coverage wise the Spidi is a bit wider in places, quasi is a bit longer.

Interestingly they are both yellow, perhaps this is the international standard colour for back protection...

looks like you need the next size down to me?

bert_is_evil
26th July 2006, 07:59
They are both size Small

sugilite
26th July 2006, 09:23
I highsided at 100kph and had no back protector on and my back was also %110 fine!
Whew pleased to hear it Dafe!
I really should upgrade mine as I have one of the original dainese ones!!! It's only about 20 years old now lol.
Let me know what you think of the airback?

I still think today that back protectors are even more applicable on the street than the track as there are so many more obstacles to hit on the road, esp gutters.

Thanks to my back protector I'm still walking. The biggest high side I ever had was at Timaru. I got taken out in race one of the nats that year. I flew so high up into the air I was looking waaaaay down at the up turned face of the flag marshal! After the race, I had spectators coming up to me saying "Did you know that when you landed on the track, your whole body bounced up of it again" Thanks to the back protector, I was able to front for race 2 and I smashed the lap record.
I'd say I could well have been in the spinal unit at CHCH had I not been wearing it.

Lou Girardin
26th July 2006, 12:11

Of course they are. That's why their products are sold all over the world, used by some of the top names in bike sport.
And their designer has been doing R&D for them for 15 years, they use the best manufacturers available.
But what they hell, they'll probably look at a buy-out from Quasimoto when they see the superiority of your gear.

Lou Girardin
26th July 2006, 12:30
Oh yeah, I've come off twice on the track wearing Quasi's gear (gloves and back protector) and both have held up well.

Did you actually strike anything with your back or just slide down the road?
Impacts are where the extra quality of Spidi, Dainese etc. shows.
Those top manufacturers treat EC as a minimum standard.

motobob
29th July 2006, 23:46
Did you actually strike anything with your back or just slide down the road?
Impacts are where the extra quality of Spidi, Dainese etc. shows.
Those top manufacturers treat EC as a minimum standard.

Lou are you saying that the Italian stuff won't get scratched because they are better quality? How do you measure that glove A is better than glove B during a crash since I was only wearing glove A.

Standards are good but the manufacturers spend an enormous amount of cash convincing us that their product is so superior. Reality is that the effectiveness of one manufacturer's product being clearly superior in the event of like accidents is unproven. Features, fit and style is another topic of course.

Quasi has some cost effective gear that can be purchased, worn and provide protection when people can't afford the high priced Italian products you mentioned. The same people may not have that protection if they have a crippling accident while saving up to buy the higher priced alternative.

Quasievil
31st July 2006, 11:50
The last thing I will say on this matter is, my gear performs, it is priced well, in many cases it is the difference between having gear and not having gear.

I do believe that a SPIDI or whatever top brand their is, is without doubt overpriced, the Motorcycle shops only make it worse with their margin on top, I understand the shops have margins have wages etc to pay, however the shops have also been pricing gear up to a level which is largely un affordable to the average Kiwi on average wages.

I Stand absolutely fucken proud to be selling my branded gear, I also stand right bloody behind it !!!! unlike the bike shops who folgg complaints off to the importer or disregard them completely (read the forums all the complaints about the bike shops are there). My gear peforms in crashes 16 to date not including multiple offs with some customers and each one of them is still wearing the original gear, thats the FACTS, that is a RESULT
So with that in mind any big brand high priced imported gear can kiss my white arse !!!!

end of story.

frogfeaturesFZR
31st July 2006, 12:17
Well said Quasi........now you've earned a nice cool beer......

Lou Girardin
31st July 2006, 15:49
Lou are you saying that the Italian stuff won't get scratched because they are better quality? How do you measure that glove A is better than glove B during a crash since I was only wearing glove A.

Standards are good but the manufacturers spend an enormous amount of cash convincing us that their product is so superior. Reality is that the effectiveness of one manufacturer's product being clearly superior in the event of like accidents is unproven. Features, fit and style is another topic of course.

Quasi has some cost effective gear that can be purchased, worn and provide protection when people can't afford the high priced Italian products you mentioned. The same people may not have that protection if they have a crippling accident while saving up to buy the higher priced alternative.

Not at all. I'm saying that the quality and R&D that you pay for shows when protective gear is tested to it's limits.
I'd far rather rely on a company that puts it's name and reputation on the line with it's products.
But equally, some people don't want to/ or can't spend top dollar on gear. Then some protection is better than none.
What I object to, is people with a vested interest bagging a product that has been proven to be superior. When I see Quasi's gear being worn by WSBK and MotoGP stars I'll retract all this.

As for the snipe at bike shops, if Quasi had commercial premises, paid staff, carried the cost of stocking gear that sells slowly as well as the popular stuff that sells quickly, and still kept his prices below 'rip off' level. then I'll agree that his gear is well priced. The margins on clothing is nowhere near what people imagine them to be.

Quasievil
31st July 2006, 16:27
Not at all. I'm saying that the quality and R&D that you pay for shows when protective gear is tested to it's limits.
I'd far rather rely on a company that puts it's name and reputation on the line with it's products.
But equally, some people don't want to/ or can't spend top dollar on gear. Then some protection is better than none.
What I object to, is people with a vested interest bagging a product that has been proven to be superior. When I see Quasi's gear being worn by WSBK and MotoGP stars I'll retract all this.

As for the snipe at bike shops, if Quasi had commercial premises, paid staff, carried the cost of stocking gear that sells slowly as well as the popular stuff that sells quickly, and still kept his prices below 'rip off' level. then I'll agree that his gear is well priced. The margins on clothing is nowhere near what people imagine them to be.

Sorry cant resist, I got $50 k worth of gear at the moment I carry alot of cost carrying the gear and it does impact on my businesses profitability as it does yours,
It would certainly be getting more diffulcult selling accessories at retail level, this will continue due to the influx and popularity of internet shopping in New Zealand and internationally, it is a global marketplace retail will always be there but the shape of it is changing, efforts from operators such as myself will continue to affect your success in accessory sales.
If I had a WSBK or a GP dude riding in my gear the prices would be as high as the stuff youre floggin, what do you think they pay the sponsorships outta ? the cost is passed on to the consumer.
You say the big brands are proven to be superoir? Im curious to know where have they tested the big brands against the QUASiMOTO gear,I havent seen that test but Im flattered they did.

And the funniest thing is mate, alot of the Big brands come out of the very same factory that mine comes out of, do you really think that all the brands are made in the country they originated in? not these days. Reebok, Ipods you name it even some Alpinestar, Glover and others are made in Pakistan like mine.

the Margins are quite good sorry Lou, I was Marketing Manager for a leading Motorcycle accessory wholesaler for a few years , we did alot of brands and the margins are certainly reasonable, the retail margin is reasonable, it has to be to drive the machine, after the margins the end result is high priced gear unfortunetly.

Im shit stirring Lou, I understand your points and you do have a point which is argueable.
What gets my back up is arrogance, just because a SPOOL is a popular name, it doesnt make it good just because a back Protector has a SPIDI label on it doesnt mean to say its good, it may well be good and it may well be the best however that doesnt come from the fact it has a popular name on it, take for example a burger, popular brand the biggest brand McDonalds is the worst burger (or close to it) and how big is there budget and R&D team? The biggest brands in the world often throw out duds.

The_Dover
31st July 2006, 16:30
Spool gear is shit.

Never worn Quasi's gear but it seems to crash well, luckily he sells it to kiwibikers who also seem to crash well.

Lou Girardin
31st July 2006, 17:35
Strange how the assumption is that these top brands are huge soulless multi-nationals.
Spidi started 30 years ago as one man making gloves, now his son is running it after the old fella died. Most of the employees have been there for years.
They just take pride in making the best gear they can.

Quasievil
31st July 2006, 17:39
They just take pride in making the best gear they can.

As we all do Lou

Kickaha
31st July 2006, 18:36
Spool gear is shit.

Their gloves stand up to multiple crashes quite well :yes:

motobob
31st July 2006, 18:51
Ahh Hope QC got what she wanted from this thread before us guys hijacked it!

quickerchick
1st August 2006, 09:11
Well you all seem to be having so much fun.. shall we get the rulers out!....

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 09:19
As we all do Lou

Do you manufacture now?

PS That $50,000 in stock you have, we have that in HD jackets alone. Fancy working out the costs in holding as much stock as we have? It rapidly makes margins look less than lucrative.

Quasievil
1st August 2006, 16:24
Do you manufacture now?

PS That $50,000 in stock you have, we have that in HD jackets alone. Fancy working out the costs in holding as much stock as we have? It rapidly makes margins look less than lucrative.

Yes of course I manuafacture. I have a factory which toll manuafactures my brand against my specification, I influence the spec precisley.
That is why if someone says to me can I have a size us54 one piece suit in blue black and pink, I can say sure no problem I will make it to fit you exactly, something I dont think bike shops can do?

My stock value is correctly geared for my chosen stockturns per year, given colours and size complications.

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 17:00
Yes of course I manuafacture. I have a factory which toll manuafactures my brand against my specification, I influence the spec precisley.

Can they read your specs?:gob:

Dafe
1st August 2006, 17:14
The last thing I will say on this matter is, my gear performs, it is priced well, in many cases it is the difference between having gear and not having gear.

I do believe that a SPIDI or whatever top brand their is, is without doubt overpriced, the Motorcycle shops only make it worse with their margin on top, I understand the shops have margins have wages etc to pay, however the shops have also been pricing gear up to a level which is largely un affordable to the average Kiwi on average wages.

I Stand absolutely fucken proud to be selling my branded gear, I also stand right bloody behind it !!!! unlike the bike shops who folgg complaints off to the importer or disregard them completely (read the forums all the complaints about the bike shops are there). My gear peforms in crashes 16 to date not including multiple offs with some customers and each one of them is still wearing the original gear, thats the FACTS, that is a RESULT
So with that in mind any big brand high priced imported gear can kiss my white arse !!!!

end of story.

Holycrap Quasi, Go easy Son!

Do you take Spidi trade-in's?

Quasievil
1st August 2006, 17:28
Can they read your specs?:gob:

Yes very conversant, he will be here in about 4 weeks to meet with me which is great, language is not a problem

Quasievil
1st August 2006, 17:32
Holycrap Quasi, Go easy Son!

Do you take Spidi trade-in's?

No why not keep the Spidi's nothing wrong with them just expensive is all I said :yes: