PDA

View Full Version : RG100!! Race report VMCC Round 3

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 18:25
VMCC round three

:2thumbsup:

What a wicked day. The weather, for some odd reason, just so happened to be warm and dry, I think everyone was happy to feel the warmth of the sun on their skin.

Full Circuit - which = more fun
Doing the full circuit adds about 50 seconds to the lap times. But it is sooooo much better. The full circuit has a much better surface than the short circuit meaning you can corner harder, which is great except when you are riding RG150s that scrape pegs and chambers around the non-banked turns.

Practice

The track is not 100% dry yet with a few wet spots on a few corners. But it was still dry enough for a good qualifying time. I was feeling confident on the bike and was already pushing the grip limitations of the tires and the ground clearance. I found a few spots I could really gain some time. They happened to be the slower corners of the track. I think I can ride slower corners better than fast ones because of my experience racing buckets, which all deals with low speed corners. As from the last two race meetings I was still having problems around the sweeper coming onto the front straight. A quick word with texmo after helped me out heaps. Cheers mate.
Back on the track. On the hairpin on the extended circuit was where I was making time, but I was having serious trouble with the peg scraping and lifting the rear wheel meaning that when I started to get on the gas again the back end would slide out quite a bit. It started to really annoy me. Still at the end of the practice/Qualifying I came back with THIRD on the grid behind Texmo and Vtec. Qualifying time was 2:31.071. pretty happy.

Race one.

Well it was kinda boring ish….
I got a good start and got away from all the other 150s but there was no way I was gonna keep up with the two 250s in front of me (which happens to be Vtec and Texmo) so there I was all alone until I see Vtec picking his bike up out of the mud. Bugger for him, but no harm was done, not even a scratch (seriously) So that put me up into second place whoo hoo!! From my quick words with texmo, I managed to start to get a good line through the sweeper for once. I don’t know the lap time of this race

Race Two
I get a OK start but nothing special. This time it seems that Neil Chappell is going to have a play with me. I could catch him in the twisty stuff and pass him on the hair pin. Hehehe that hairpin…. He went wide and I went right on the inside it was the hardest braking I have ever done to get him!! Then probably the biggest slide from the back to get out of there real quick. His bike is noticeably faster than mine even though he's a good 20kg heavier than me. Back to the racing he got me on the sweeper after I got him on the hairpin. Sweet as next time at the hairpin I got him back. On the way out from the Full circuit back onto the short circuit there is a big long full throttle 140kph left hander (for the 150s) Its pretty scary. Peg on the ground knee on the ground. Fun.
But my bike has a serious front end shake ( wheel balance I think) as speed. Enough so that when you can see the front wheel in the shadow you can see it hopping. You can feel it hopping too!!. Anyway this front end shake is bad enough to shake the tire off the ground, which at 140kph I experienced the worst front wheel slide I have ever had. It was huge and it would not re-grip. It was big enough for Neil (behind me at this point) to be able to see it! When I did get it back (which ment I had to back the throttle off) I hit a little bump which gave me a quick tank slapper. First one I've had on the 150…Anyway coming into the sweeper I try to carry a lot of speed then dear old Neil Chappell comes up the inside runs it way wide, but then decides to slam it right infront of me. Fuck that bastard. I nearly kill my self as I now have to lose a lot of speed to avoid hitting the stupid prick. And loosing speed is hard when you are at full lean angle. I manage to keep it up and get forth in that race. If he ever tries that again I will NOT be stopping to avoid hitting him. I'll be hitting into the side of him as that’s my line and I'm not just gonna give it to him like I did this time.

Race three
Only two lap race

Neil got ahead of me again never mind, ill follow him until the second lap where I can pass him in the hair pin on the extended circuit. Im right behind him but I fucked up the corner before the hairpin and could not pass him. Now im screwed all the corners from here are high speed ones that I have the whole front end shaky thing happening. I still don’t give up though I go as fast as I have all day into the sweeper onto the front straight… and start to pass him, but then he starts to pull away under power… another fourth. Damn. I did my fastest lap of the day which was a 2:24.974

I am still in third place for points with a healty lead against fourth place. So I'm still happy with that. :third:

I also competed in F3, but it was only used as track time to pick up some markers. There were two close finished between Neil and I and also Eamon and I.

Sad about Texmo after crashing mildly on Friday (test day) and also doing a big highside In the last F3 race. Which has totalled his bike pretty bad. Bummer dude. I hope you get it sorted for next round!!

Thanks to the Juggins for the bike.
Awesome stuff guys!!

MattRSK
23rd July 2006, 18:32
Good stuff Glen, i think that doing the f3 as well will help you improve a lot. Good detailed report mate. Had fun watching ya all.

vtec
23rd July 2006, 19:18
Yep, great racing mate. Get that bike sorted for the next round. There's nothing better than having full confidence in your bike.

Keep up that great attitude, and cause you started so young, there's a lot of time for you to grow as a rider. I wish I didn't have to do it in such a hurry, would love another year of streetstock, but I'm getting old, and have to progress fast.

kiwifruit
23rd July 2006, 19:29
Thanks for the report, cant wait to get out there myself!
See ya there next time :soon:

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 19:36
cheers guys!

Im sooooo amped already for next round!!

texmo
23rd July 2006, 19:43
2:26.156 was your fastest time in race two dude. Your starts are primo you over took me off the start in race one and two. Still I managed to go around the outside in the pratice session:nya:

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 19:50
Ah shit our one on one race!!.

Ah well you win this time...... but wait till next. on higgens and we both know what to do.

But ATM, after seeing you ride yesterday, there is no way i can match your riding pace. Hope fully ill get a bit quicker. I know once i get the bike sorted it will be a lil' better...

texmo
23rd July 2006, 19:51
Higgens which one is that?

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 19:59
its the right hander after tha middle straight

texmo
23rd July 2006, 20:01
What do we do there?

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 20:08
we approach at the same speed (me maxed out on the 150 and you next to me)

then see who gets the lead out!! Be cool to see. I think you will win(after seeing you race in the dry!!!)

babyB
23rd July 2006, 20:55
good write up RG way to go

sugilite
23rd July 2006, 21:16
Way to go RG100!
Good race report.
I agree with you, the long circuit is awesome! :rockon:

Sketchy_Racer
23rd July 2006, 21:19
Thanks BabyB and Sugilite,

Sugi, Why don't we run full circuit all the time? would be much better

Two Smoker
24th July 2006, 19:09
Awesome stuff RG100 :niceone:

MOTOXXX
24th July 2006, 23:03
dude that was fucken cool in one of the f3 races when you and i went round the outside of that 400 knee down - the first right hander on the extension

it looked wicked looking from behind

Sketchy_Racer
25th July 2006, 09:02
oh thats right... yeah that was some cool shit man.

And you were riding so much faster once you plug was changed. I couldn't pass you after the F3 restart after i had got past the first time!!