PDA

View Full Version : Personalised plates

marty
4th June 2004, 21:55
So do you have one on your bike/car etc? If not, what would you have?

I have UGUGUG on my wagon. No bike at the moment, have some ideas for one when i do though.....

I know some people think they are a waste of time, but occasionally it makes me think twice about driving fast, or overtaking where i perhaps shouldn't - big yellow commodore with easily remembered plate! at least i haven't got my name on my ZZR600's plate, like a certain highway patrol sergeant has.....

dangerous
4th June 2004, 22:06
Ha ha, bloody pofter plates aye..... and you have one, must be or of been a cop once aye :msn-wink:

Well to tell ya the truth I inquired about em when I brought the Firestorm it was going to be 996V2 but I'm to frigen misrible to spend $600 on shit like that, that I have to have.

There are some well thought out plates out there but most just say JOHNS or MR2 right next to the mr2 badge :doh: why bother??

Ghost Lemur
4th June 2004, 22:12
My friends Dad has FAWLTY. Lucky bastard. Spot the John Cleese fan. :D

I thought FUDJA would be pretty good seeing as you can't have "naughty words".

Deano
4th June 2004, 22:14

I have UGUGUG on my wagon. No bike at the moment, have some ideas for one when i do though.....

I know some people think they are a waste of time, but occasionally it makes me think twice about driving fast, or overtaking where i perhaps shouldn't - big yellow commodore with easily remembered plate! at least i haven't got my name on my ZZR600's plate, like a certain highway patrol sergeant has.....

What does your's mean Marty ?

A few thoughts:

'SP1DR' (not spider)

'SP1DFL'

'SPDKLS' (one for the cops)

'BKOFF' or 'BAKOFF'

'C YA'

'MONO' or 'UP ON 1' (one for WT)

You might have seen the ones on Holmes - 'H8 ACC', 'H8 IRD', 'H8 OSH'.

Or.......'H8 COPS' ( :Oops: I didn't say that)

Skunk
4th June 2004, 22:16
My trailbike transporter (Toyota LWB van) is K BUS. :disapint:

So what?

Andrew

Busted
4th June 2004, 22:24
Plates arnt that bad anymore ... ses the guy with 2 of them :sick:
At least you can tell yours in a crowd

"GSXRR" on the bike and "SUPMR2" on the car

Let the flamin begin :ar15:

Oh and the bike one is up for sale for the right money ... got designs on a new one.

Satan
4th June 2004, 22:58
Mine says SATAN....

Ghost Lemur
4th June 2004, 23:11
Mine says SATAN....

That's terrible, surely you could have come up with something better?

Like...

EATME
BURNU
DAMND
IHELL
BLZBB

:killingme

wkid_one
4th June 2004, 23:18
As per my signature mine says WKID 1 - although sadly it is sitting in front of me at the moment under my monitor

MD
4th June 2004, 23:18
Can't stand them myself but they prove that a stupid idea can still rake in the money. Must admit though that the odd one can be amusing or clever.
Why would you want to make your vehicle easier to identify in an age when we are all trying to slip past traffic unnoticed and need stealth to preserve our personal wealth. (oops, unintentional rhyme)
No offence Marty but UGUGUG doesn't leap into the 'thats funny' category. So what is it then?

wkid_one
4th June 2004, 23:22
Yeah - see I disagree.......yes it costs. However I don't see the point in bike or car specific ones like MYR1 or things like that.

Zed
4th June 2004, 23:23
Mine says SATAN....
You told us it was "WKID 1"! :msn-wink:

wkid_one
4th June 2004, 23:25
You told us it was "WKID 1"! :msn-wink: What the fuck are you on Zed? I am talking to Satan in the chat room right now. Come in if you don't believe me

Zed
4th June 2004, 23:26

Never had one because no-one has ever gifted me one for my b'day present! :whistle:

Personally can't justify spending so much $$...I feel the same way about bungy jumping!

Al
5th June 2004, 00:20
I have one describing the bike I ride: YLOBM (yellow BMW).......
and I like it, so :whocares:

:spudwave:
Al

Yamahamaman
5th June 2004, 04:43
R62NV is mine.

brit_vtr
5th June 2004, 07:09
So far today I have seen VT1R (on a VTR 1000) and the most mega expensive plate eva (maybe) AZX10R (funny enuff on a ZX10R ......

Ghost Lemur
5th June 2004, 08:18
R62NV is mine.

That's pretty cool. And if it help I am envious. :D

erik
5th June 2004, 09:41
On the way to uni I've seen a guy riding a harley (I think) with CRWZN or something similar. I thought that was pretty cool.

But unless I was totally loaded, I don't think I could justify spending money on a personalized plate. Besides, pretty much all the good ones must already be taken by now, there's only so many words you can fit on a plate.

k14
5th June 2004, 09:56
Why would you want to make your vehicle easier to identify in an age when we are all trying to slip past traffic unnoticed and need stealth to preserve our personal wealth. (oops, unintentional rhyme)

Ahh, not necessarily. When I get enough money I'm going to grab a plate with a combo of I's and 1's so that it is really hard to tell what it is. Have seen some cars with that around aswell.

Ghost Lemur
5th June 2004, 10:45
Ahh, not necessarily. When I get enough money I'm going to grab a plate with a combo of I's and 1's so that it is really hard to tell what it is. Have seen some cars with that around aswell.

I think you'll find most, if not all, of the combo's are already taken.

btw - How many of you have speed head on towards a speed camera while doing a mono, knowing full well that they wont be able to identify you. :killingme

*Looks at WT* :D

matthewt
5th June 2004, 10:47
MATHU on the Brutale (on a car it's MATH U but no room for the space on a bike plate)
NITOR in storage, that's my company, if you want to know what it means look it up in Latin
ANITA T on the people mover
IM MAT which I got when bike plates were the square shape but might give it to my son whose initials are MAT.

riffer
5th June 2004, 12:27
Mine says SATAN....

Again Satan you attempt to deceive us.

Dave Blackmore's Bentley Turbo R has the SATAN plate on it.

Drunken Monkey
5th June 2004, 12:29
"69 U GO" hehehe, and it's not even a P-Plate. Came with the bike...

The car is "HAXX0R", cos I'm l33t...

Deano
7th June 2004, 15:18
I think you'll find most, if not all, of the combo's are already taken.

btw - How many of you have speed head on towards a speed camera while doing a mono, knowing full well that they wont be able to identify you. :killingme

*Looks at WT* :D

Be careful as if it is a manned camera, the operator may write down the number after you go past (if visible - probably not at 12.00 mono) and send it in with the photo - a mate of mine got done that way.

Satan
7th June 2004, 15:43

CN6 - you are of course assuming that I have to register my bikes in NZ.

Zed
7th June 2004, 16:23

lol, caught out again! :kick:

You should have one saying "DANS 1" Satan.

Satan
7th June 2004, 18:09
lol, caught out again! :kick:

You should have one saying "DANS 1" Satan.
Who the fuck is Dan?? Can't you see in my previous post that i dont have my bike registered in NZ. Idiot.

Indiana_Jones
7th June 2004, 18:33
AYYYY

:niceone:

-Indy

claire
8th June 2004, 07:27
We have a couple of plates HER 60 on my Thunderbird, XXXGTO on our Pontiac, we have GTO 8U that was on our Mitsubishi and we own CRWZEN that was bought from a voucher we won at a car show, working on something to put CRWZEN on at the moment.

Eddieb
8th June 2004, 08:26
I have XOTIK on the 888.

A mate in Hamilton has UR2SLO on his Legacy turbo. I have seen U2SLO on a bike in wellington.

Funkyfly
8th June 2004, 14:11
We got SUXG4S (sux gas) on our 1972 Valiant Charger (5.9 litre) and i got GIXER on my bike.

Im having 2nd thoughts about a plate on the bike, its a lot easier for ppl to remember incl cops and old ladies that ring up cops after you buzz them at 100mph.

Anyone want GIXER?

Hitcher
8th June 2004, 16:11
If the fundamental purpose of a registration plate is to clearly and unambiguously identify a vehicle, then I have a problem with personalised plates (substitution of numbers for letters, allowing use of space(s), kerning, etc).

If the fundamental purpose of a registration plate is to deceive and confuse, then personalised plates are a masterstroke!

Drunken Monkey
8th June 2004, 16:33
If the fundamental purpose of a registration plate is to clearly and unambiguously identify a vehicle, then I have a problem with personalised plates (substitution of numbers for letters, allowing use of space(s), kerning, etc).

If the fundamental purpose of a registration plate is to deceive and confuse, then personalised plates are a masterstroke!

Hmmm, interesting. With exception of a few plates, I thought most people agreed that personalised plates were, if anything, more distinctive and easier to identify/remember than regular plates. The human brain is better at identifying and recalling what it recognizes as 'patterns' - more often than not, regular plates have no easy to recall patterns. You can't even go by the rule of 2x alpha 4x numeric as all new plates are 3x alpha 3x numeric.

On top of that, the lettering of plates is done in such a way as to minimise any possible confusion (like 1, I, L, or strikethrough for zero, as opposed to the letter 'O').

Gotta disagree with ya there, Hitcher.

Big Dog
8th June 2004, 17:16
I want 5XLK9. T busted ass though.

Some I have seen in magazines or even the real world are:
PIGB8
BCNB8
BIATCH
BI8TCH
TI3VOM
AVOVOM
DRAFTN
RAQTOP
ROSS1

Marmoot
10th June 2004, 13:07
How about this one?
I wonder how long your bike would last...

vifferman
10th June 2004, 13:45
Personally, I don't see the point of personalised plates unless they're on a commercial vehicle, or something special like a vintage or classic car.
Having said that, I have checked to see what plates were available for my VFR (but not for the FahrtSturm).
If I had a spare $600 to spend, I'd rather put it towards a new helmet, or suspension mods for the bike.

sparrow_34
10th June 2004, 15:11
A mate of mine had O2BBIG on his fiat bambina :)

bungbung
10th June 2004, 15:19
my neighbours like personalised plates a little too much

BUSPOO - bambina
BUGLOO - S-cargo
BOLLI - Saab convertible
FANDT - MX5
BOVITE - Wrangler
TESLA - Citroen something

Big Dog
11th June 2004, 18:24
TI3VOM, AVOVOM

Has anyone worked out these two yet? :rolleyes:

marty
11th June 2004, 20:45
no good on a bike, as you need to look in the mirror.

what about:

TIMOV
EM TA3
TONS
AGOOB

one of my favorites - used to pick on him all the time - FNBAD7, on an RX7

or on a bmw belonging to a famous atlantic rower - DEIMBT

or for a millionaire, JOIMBS.

and on a CRX with a hell stereo, TREMOR

Skyryder
11th June 2004, 20:51
I've never been a great fan of personalised plts. Just too easy to remember. some of witty though.

Skyryder

marty
11th June 2004, 20:55
i reckon WKID is good. not easy to remember what way around the KI goes, and is it an I or a 1?