PDA

View Full Version : Sport touring tyre information

pritch
24th July 2006, 10:59
I was checking the Metzeler web page this morning and came across this:

http://www.metzelermoto.com/metzeler_world/news/page_0001/roadtec_z_best_sport_touring_fitment.htm

There is a link to a pdf file which contains the results of two magazine tests which rank Z6s as the best sport touring tyre (of course). It would help if you could read French or German, or better yet both. Otherwise like me you'll just have to look at the bits that go 1-2-3-4... . Until I can get the German translated anyway...

The results in both tests are somewhat surprising, to me anyway:
1st Metzeler Z6
2nd Pirelli Diablo Strada
3rd Continental Road Attack

And the German mag ranked the also-rans:
4 = Michelin Pilot
4 = Dunlop D220 ST
6 Bridgestone BT020
7 Avon Azarro

E & 0 due to my "translation" excepted...

beyond
24th July 2006, 12:43
Thanks for that mate. I use Z6's and they are a very good tyre. :)

SPman
24th July 2006, 12:55
Z6s are my pick - they are brilliant!

pritch
25th July 2006, 13:41
The minor headings don't translate too well but I have a slightly better view of what the results mean now.

One thing I found surprising was that the number one rated tyre for wet use was the Pirelli Diablo Strada. I have seen comments on KB to the effect that some people here don't rate Pirellis in the wet at all. I've thought this odd as other things I've read (mainly UK scourced) rate the Diablo series very highly (highest?).

The other surprising thing was the low results acheived by the BT020s which in tests I've read previously rated very highly wet or dry.

James Deuce
25th July 2006, 13:45
Dunlop D220 ST got 4th equal??? Are they MENTAL?

The Stranger
25th July 2006, 13:50
Personally I feel that the bike also comes into it a lot i.e the same tyre on different bike would yeld a different result.

When I first put the Z6 on the X11 I wasn't happy with it on high speed corners, bike would tend to wallow. I increased the compression damping one click and viola, I am converted.

Had Avon Vipers on there before that and the setting was as good as I could get for the viper.

Had I not had the ability or inclination to play with the settings I doubt I would be saying good things about them.

R6_kid
25th July 2006, 20:46
never had any problems with the Z6 on my R6, and now i've got an M3 i cant complain with that either.

If you are a bit more hardout go for the M3 as its a more sportier than the Z6 but is supposed to have similar wear charateristics. Otherwise the Z6 is a goer for sure.

terbang
25th July 2006, 20:59
I ran Stradas on me bandit, they were OK but fell apart rapidly. I have an Azarro on the rear of my Busa. It takes the HP well and is doing good mileage where the origional BT 56 used to give up the ghost when hot. The Azarro isnt that great when the road is a bit greasy and will easily start spinning under power though it is fairly good in the dry and does OK when its raining. In a nutshell, it appeals to the scotsman in me with only slightly above average performance. A good touring tyre I guess..!

Maha
25th July 2006, 21:14
Got Z6s on the Triumph..........:first:

DEATH_INC.
25th July 2006, 22:58
Dunlop D220 ST got 4th equal??? Are they MENTAL?

Obviously, they shoulda been no1:first:

Zapf
26th July 2006, 21:07
D220 are :nono: didn't like them when they came factory on the SV

jadmac
26th July 2006, 23:37
Puzzled..went to Arthurs Pass ytd, grit wet in places. Average "bike speed" with the odd coupe to impress. enjoyed the ride really. came home and washed bike today. shit "canvas" showing, bought the bike new done 7800km on Dunlop Sportsmax D204 180/85 ZR17 impressive tyre....stick like glue even when bald...new tyre arriving. at least i know what to inspect now.