PDA

View Full Version : Indicators not indicating… :)

degrom
24th July 2006, 11:12
I have an 83 Suzuki GN250 that needs a new WOF. I went for it last week but it failed miserably. After replacing both tyres, turning the head light upside down and replacing a front axel bolt I am still having troubles with the indicators!!!

When the bike is cold and not started it works okay for a while. Then when I start it, it starts to flicker slower. Then it just stalls and stays on. The left side is also better than the right side. (Reason the one side has 21w globes and the other has 23w globes). Also if I rev it a bit it starts flickering sort off…. The voltages at the battery while rev’ed a bit is about 14.5v. (I don’t think it’s the charging, it’s more like the vibrations that’s making the flicker tick… LOL)

What voltage should the indicator globes be?
Should I replace the Flasher unit or can I test it in a way?

Sorry, I wanted to get the work-shop manual from the library but it’s out at the moment.

Thanks. This is a really kick-ass site!!!:rockon:

T.W.R
24th July 2006, 11:42
Sounds like the flasher relay is faulty, maybe caused by the mix of bulb wattages possibly? 21w is about the norm for indicator bulbs. Just check all the connections & wiring in the circuit too.

the hollowman posted this up recently, if you haven't found it already.

http://rapidshare.de/files/10405403/GN250.zip.html

degrom
24th July 2006, 11:51
Thanks... I will download it and have a look.

degrom
24th July 2006, 12:02
:gob:

Christmas has come early!!! Just what the doctor ordered….

Thanks. This will really help me a lot!!!

Thanks!!!!!! (x1'000'000)

et al
24th July 2006, 12:34
Make sure you check the basics ie check all connections are clean and secure (specially since it sounds like the wiring around headlight could have been moved around?). Also important that you have matching bulb wattage all round. And.... if you do end up suspecting the flasher unit and find the genuine Suzuki item too expensive then you could try to source a generic type (any 12v flasher should do) - Repco used to have them.

degrom
24th July 2006, 12:53
Thanks for the advice!!!

I just talked to Mattzxr750 and he replaced his old unit with a non-load flicker unit on his ZXR750. I think I will try this option first, I am thinking of making my own Led based indicators and I will need a flasher unit that won’t need a load to work correctly. (And $5 at SuperCheap sounds like the perfect budget for my experiment bike… LOL)

Thanks again for the advice. I think the bike is a Frank-En-Bike because there are a lot of parts that does not match. I bought it for $500 to get my licence and now I starting to love the little thumper. Especially because my bigger bike is giving my more trouble for a lot more money!!!

degrom
25th July 2006, 18:59
Hey!!!! It worked... I bought the new flasher unit at Super CHeap for $5.99. Works like a charm... Fit's perfectly into the plug.

The unit was designed for car's but it does the job!!!