View Full Version : What's it worth?

myvice
24th July 2006, 22:31
Any thoughts?
Going to sell my little 250 Bandit.
40,000ks,
New paint job, being done now.
New chain and sprockets.
75%+ tread on the rear and a new front tyre, Michelin Pilot Powers.
No rips in the seat.
Serviced every 5,000ks for the last two years, Motul full synthetic oil, ex Japan, so no previous history.
New WoF.
New air filter + spare, new spark plugs, Iridium NGK’s.
Been a good little bike, I’ve changed all the fluids since owning it and it’s never let me down. A little under geared, but that’s an easy fix for someone who does a lot of motorway riding. (Front sprocket +1 tooth) But good around town.
Lots of room under the seat.
Comfy to ride, I'm 5'10" and have no problem. Not bad two up ether.
18lt tank gets you about 250ks befor hitting reserve.
I want $4k, cost 5k two years ago and its in better shape now than it was then.
Sorry to see it go, but after a bit of bad luck, (crashed new baby) I need the money
Still going for $5-6 grand in the shops so I don’t think I'm asking too much.
What do you think? I haven’t been in the 250 market for a while and it’s changed a lot in a short amount of time.
Where’s a good place to advertise it?

bobsmith
25th July 2006, 08:05
Hell I reckon you can get at least about 4500 for that, if it is in the condition you describe in. In fact, I would try for about 5000 or even 5500... though 5500 might be pushing it because of the milage...

Trademe is usually very good, though, they just increased the listing fee.

you can either put it up as an auction or classfied. I prefer auction since with auction buyers can add them to their watch list and ask you questions on the auction etc... with classfied, buyers can email or ring you but that's about it.

With auction, list it with the minimum you want for it (I would start at 4500 or something) and make the start price same as reserve (ie no reserve) so that all the buyers know exactly the minimum you want for it and so it makes it more likely for serious bidders to bid for your item. If you think you can get more for it and want to wait until the right buyer comes along rather than sell it quick you can even make it more expensive (ie 5000 or so) and just keep re-listing it for no extra fee. With vehicle auctions, you can list your contact details such as your phone number on it so list it if you can, it makes it more approchable for potential buyers.

damn if I hadn't just bought a bike, I might be knocking on your door.

for your reference I paid for mine 5250 at the dealers with the pack rack and a ventura pack. I think I over paid though, I had to get some new chain sprokets, oil change and the tyres were really shitty so ended up getting new tyres which all together cost about 600...

Good luck with the sale.

[edit]- as for my reasoning in why I think I overpaid, the fairing aren't in that great condition either, etc...
- I think I talk too much...

Wasp
25th July 2006, 09:37
I bought mine from a dealer with about 28,000 kms on it for $3,500 - I reckon I got a good deal though as it had %50 Peralli Sport Demons and a Cycleworks exhaust and had been re-jetted. Oh. and a custom petrol tank.

Sadly mines got issues......

I hope the sale goes well.

myvice
26th July 2006, 19:58
Ta for that, will look at trademe and go from there...