PDA

View Full Version : Starting out

XR250 Si
25th July 2006, 12:12
Hi all,

I am just getting into motorcycling and will hopefully be buying my first bike in the next month or so ('06 Honda XR250L).

What I need to do is get my riding gear sussed. Will mostly be using bike to commute to work daily and use off the beaten track in the weekends. Will mostly be gravel and light stuff to start off with until my confidence builds

I have had a look at the Dririder range and think I will go for the Rallycross Evo jacket with the upgrade kit and the Rallycross pants. The Rallycross gloves seem to have a good amount of protection too, although I haven't had a chance to have a proper squiz at them (only seen these on the Dririder website).

I'm seeing all these boots and helmets, but what I need to know is what to look at and what to avoid. I would prefer to have just one pair of boots that I can use for on road/off road. With regards to the helmet, should I be looking at the closed face style or the motorcross style with goggles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

degrom
25th July 2006, 12:31
Welcome to KiwiBiker(KB)....

Helmet - I would go for the closed face if you are going to commute a lot. It keeps the wind and weather out. But the open-faced once looks cooler with a XR.

Boots - Get comfortable once!! You will be using them a lot and I would hate to ride around with sore feet!!!

Your gear is something that defines you. (Don't take orange boots if you don't like it!!!)

Zukin
25th July 2006, 12:39
Hi there

Welcome
It wasnt too long ago that I stumbled on this website too:yes:

Most of the guys on here are fantastic, I also ride on the 250, and am currently looking at all the gear.
Whislt I have trail riding gear, I have found it too cold when on the open road for long periods of time

In regards to the Jackets and Pants, you are looking at the right ones there, these are what I am about to buy too.
Whilst there is more in the Dririder range, these appeal to me as a good cross riding style jackets and pants

Boots - There is a really good thread on here so look through the posts on here.

Cheers and welcome

clint640
25th July 2006, 12:53
Welcome to KB, that XR is a great choice for a learner bike.

I'm looking at updating some of my gear before summer & have quizzed a few people about their Rallycross jackets & the reports have been all good.

No doubt you've seen the boot thread, Unless you want to splash out on some $700 Sidi Discoveries the Forma GT is probably the best blend of on & off road.

Get a full face helmet 1st but an MX helmet + glasses/sunnies is great for zapping around town in summer so maybe consider getting one eventually.

With gloves it's good to have a couple of sets as well, get some warm waterproof ones 1st then invest in a lightweight set as summer sets in.

Cheers
Clint

XR250 Si
25th July 2006, 13:15
Cheers guys, glad to be here too.

Thanks for the great advice so far. I will take a look at all these suggestions.

I certainly am looking forward to bike purchase day.

merv
25th July 2006, 13:47
Great bike you'll have there and welcome.

We've talked about all sorts of stuff here:

Here's what I said when I got my XR http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22715

Then when I took it out in the Wairarapa http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=22980

We've talked about boots here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32686

I talked about our GRex adventure helmets in this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=30301 and that's the type of helmet you could get for mainly road and a bit of dirt. I used mine on the Capital Coast Adventure ride and on a trip in the South Island and its great. Would only use goggles and MX helmet for more hard out dirt.

XR250 Si
25th July 2006, 14:52
Thanks for those cool links Merv. Certainly sounds like you've had fun on your XR250.

I've been looking ahead and found a pack rack for the XR250L on an Aussie website. Can't remember what the web address was now though.

Will have a look at those GRex helmets.

Ruralman
25th July 2006, 15:15
Hi there and welcome - the XR will be a great starter bike. I do both road and off road riding. The Dri Rider stuff is great so carry on there. If I had to economize and buy one helmet it would be my flip front HJC - I certainly wouldn't want to ride any distance at road speed with my dirt bike helmet. The HJC has good venting and you can ride with either the visor or whole front opened up. When trail riding you often need plenty of venting.
I personally wouldn't only have one set of boots. Again if I was trying to economize I would buy a set of tidy road boots like the RJays (about $160) and get a second hand pair of dirt boots off Trademe unless you were going to be using them a whole lot. The road boots will fit under the legs of your pants if they're not too tight in the leg so you can walk around comfortably without the boots being obvious. Most dirt boots are pretty uncomfortable to walk in for any length of time as they are designed not to have a lot of give in them, but my road boots are just as comfortable as a pair of shoes. There are usually heaps of good boots on Trademe

Zukin
25th July 2006, 15:23
Thanks for those cool links Merv. Certainly sounds like you've had fun on your XR250.

I've been looking ahead and found a pack rack for the XR250L on an Aussie website. Can't remember what the web address was now though.

Hey there

You can always get this pack rack (http://www.ventura-bike.co.nz/english/fitments/display.asp?manufacturer_id=6) (you need to scroll down about 3/4's of the page, they have 2 lisitngs for different models) which should fit (not 100% sure though with the late model one though) and even better its made right here in little ole NZ:yes:

clint640
25th July 2006, 15:50

2 words about packracks: They Suck. (IMHO anyway)

You want to keep the weight as close to the centre of the bike as possible, particulary offroad. I've seen packracks break more than once on adv tours too, they don't like rough roads & the XR won't have a hugely beefy rear subframe to support it anyway.

If it's a light pack carry it on your back. any heavier strap it onto a carrier - you won't be carrying a pillion so a duffel bag or similar can be strapped lengthways over the rear of the seat & a carrier.
I use panniers, riding solo they can sit well forward & you hardly notice they are there, I like to be able to swing my leg over the bike. You do need to fit some rails to tie the bottom of the bags to so they don't flap around & push the plastics into the muffler.

A few of us are aiming to be at the KiwiRider Kaipara Coast Adv ride on Labour weekend if you're set up by then. They reckon it will be perfectly suitable for n00b's & there was even talk of some gravel riding classes.

Cheers
Clint

far queue
25th July 2006, 16:10
Jacket - I got a Dririder Rallycross Jacket with the accessory liner about 6 months ago – brilliant. Leave both liners out and let the breeze blow through on the hot summer off road rides, put them both in and stay warm and dry on the wet winter rides – I stayed warm and dry in the cold and wet on the way home from the Brass Monkey.

Pants - I don’t have any adventure pants yet – I wear leather on the road and jeans off road. I’ve looked at the Dririder Rallycross pants, but didn’t like the look of the vent in the knee area – it’s permanently open – if it could be closed I’d probably get them. One of the local shops have Thor and Moose adventure pants that I’m thinking about.

Gloves - MX for off road and summer riding. Insulated road gloves for the cooler weather and rain.

Helmet - An MX style helmet off road and a road helmet on the road. The MX helmet is great off road – lightweight, cool, good field of view, peak. The MX helmet is crap on the road at any speed for any distance (100+ kph for 50+ km), it’s noisy and really catches the wind, thus putting strain on your neck. My road helmet (Shoei XR600) is at the end of its life (great condition, but 8 years old) and will be replaced with a Shoei Syncrotec2. If you want one helmet get a flip front (lots of brands and prices to choose from) or if you want to spend a bit more have a look at the Arai TourX adventure helmet.

Boots – I wear MX boots (Thor Quadrant) for any ride that will have off road component in it and road boots (Stylmartin Stormy) for road only riding. A cheap starter boot I’ve seen used is army surplus lace up boots. I haven’t used them but I guess they do the job and the price is right.

Ummm, I think that’s about it … oh, and welcome aboard

merv
25th July 2006, 16:11
If you read my links you'll see that I talked of the Ventura racks and they only have them for the hard out dirt XR and not the L model and the subframes are all totally different. Sparky got me a set of brackets but they were no where near right so I adapted the old ones from my DR250R in the end and he sent the brackets back.

So sorry Zukin for this model XR the Ventura link is no use except for the racks themselves. You need to figure out how to make up some brackets of your own. The other brand of rack is perhaps the way to go. I stuck with Ventura because we already had so much of their gear.

As for Clint640's comments I'm happy with the Ventura racks on adventure rides. For a long day you don't want the weight of a pack on your back. I have racks on all our dirt bikes and the WR is the most hard out and with the flimsiest subframe and it is surviving OK. I strapped a bag onto that when I first got it because I couldn't get the Ventura L brackets initially and on its first ride the Pukemanu I was forever having to check the bag was still hangoing on - it fell off once because no matter how well you strap them down they get a hard time on rough tracks. As soon as they made the brackets I bought them.

Adventure ride links here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=27185 and here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=2336

Motu
25th July 2006, 17:10
I use the Nolan N70,same as the GRex,and it's a good helmet....if you have small ears.Probably a bit noisy by road rider standards,but you won't be cruising at 225kph anyway.I really like my MX helmet for around town,gravel and of course off road - it's just so light and breezy with good visability,but no good over 100kph.I prefer my trials boots,not as full on as MX boots - but oh so much safer than road boots,I know what I'd rather be wearing when a car bumper hits my lower leg.Even after getting an enduro jacket,it seems I prefer my old Spidi touring jacket - it's 3/4 length (like,down to your bum) with good pockets,hard armour,coolish in summer and toasty in winter,extras for ''extra'' weather.It's dusty and worn looking,like I'm in the Afrika Corps or something.....it's just....comfy.All my bikes have a carrier,I strap down to that.

cooneyr
26th July 2006, 08:42
Just to add my two cents worth. First up I'm about 3 months of getting my full so dont have any experience like some but have learnt alot over the past 9 months.

I have a Grex RD1 helmet and use it all the time for commuting and long distance adventuer riding. I foolishly got a MX helmet first and found it to be noisy and cold at high speed and also rain drops hurt at 100kph (hit below the googles but above the chin guard. The RD1 is a good price too.

Re the Rally cross gear. Got a 2005 jacket (pre zip off arms version) and really liked it until I had a low speed low side on some ice on monday. Now I have a couple of holes (one small and stiched/glued up and one large with a nice big black patch on it) in the mesh pannel on the front of the shoulder. Not overly impressed given that hit the ground around 40kph - what will happen at higher speeds. The non mesh parts stood up well but the mesh pannel seems a little bit weak. The mesh liner (the second layer) interestingly didn't rip though and the waterproof liner is fine. If you wont be falling off then awsome jacket but not so sure for those of us in the realy world.

I really like the Rally cross pants. With resped to Far Queue's post about the knee vents, I do notice the cold a little but when you warm up (I'm a hot person that can break into a sweat on a -10 degree day) they are fine. The vents dont let to much air in so dont seem to bother me too much. Besides all of which if you are going for a longer ride put the waterproof liner in to stop the wind.

A really good feature of the rallycross pants is that they are fine/light enough (due to lack of lining) to be able to be put inside your boots off road so that you dont get holes in them from stones flicking up and hitting your shins. I commute with the same boots though and get annoyed with having to clean them though so can put pants over the outside. Again foolishly got a pair of Dririder Nordic 4 pants for commuting then found them too warm in summer but they only fit over the boots due to the bulk.

I have Fly 605 boots which I find OK but they are heavyish and stiff. I have some Neo leather gloves with a thinsulate layer that I use everwhere. I've fallen off a treadly enough times on road (did about 15000 kms commuting in past 5 years) to want the extra protection and put up with them off road. Leather gloves dont seem to be that bad off road when wet and covered in muck.

Best of luck with whatever you choose. Biking is heaps of fun just remember there will be set backs (I'm still nursing the damaged ego from my ice slide) but its worth it.

Man this is a long post - have to keep it shorter next time :yes:

Cheers
R

XR250 Si
26th July 2006, 09:55
Cheers for all this info guys.

Clint, I'll have to see how I'm getting along before I commit to any adventure rides. Will keep this trip in mind though.

XR250 Si
28th August 2006, 10:03
Well, still waiting for the new XR250L to arrive in the shops.

In the meantime I have been busy looking at and buying gear. Went for the Dririder RallyX Evo jacket and yesterday bought an HJC Helmet. I went for the 'Kast'. It was the most comfortable of all that I tried on. I could have sworn that some of those helmets were going to rip my blimmin ears off had I tried hard enough.

Tried on all the boots and have decided on a pair of Sidi Canyon's. They look like they'll handle the job and they're pretty comfortable for walking around in.

Wolf
28th August 2006, 11:39
Well, still waiting for the new XR250L to arrive in the shops.

In the meantime I have been busy looking at and buying gear. Went for the Dririder RallyX Evo jacket and yesterday bought an HJC Helmet. I went for the 'Kast'. It was the most comfortable of all that I tried on. I could have sworn that some of those helmets were going to rip my blimmin ears off had I tried hard enough.

Tried on all the boots and have decided on a pair of Sidi Canyon's. They look like they'll handle the job and they're pretty comfortable for walking around in.
Welcome to the site, XR.

Glad you're finding the gear that suits you. As with anything, it comes down to what fits best and works best for you. My wife finds her Nolan fits perfectly yet I find it is fine width-wise but my nose scrapes on the chin guard putting it on and when properly seated the chinguard touches my chin - different head shapes. We're all different and have different needs.

Those Sidi Canyons look good - quite a nice fusion of on- and off-road from the look of them.

Sounds like you and I have similar requirements in riding gear - "all-rounder" garments.

I'm looking at the GRex RD1 as a replacement helmet (if it fits) for my aged HJC CL. I currently wear the precursor to the Sidi "Thunder" boots and I'm thinking of Sidi "Thunder", Gaerne "Explorer", Dririder or (thanks to your suggestion) Sidi "Canyon" as suitable replacements.

I wear Dririder "Alpine" leggings and jacket and the only complaint I have with them it that the linings are not removable so I tend to cook in summer. The jacket has the internal pockets at shoulder and arm to allow hard armour inserts to be fitted. I found suitable shoulder armour at the local Cash Converters for $5 but as yet have not found elbow/forearm armour that fits in the pockets.

I'm looking at replacing them with Spool or Mobig gear - removable liners, waterproof and hard armour inserts at shoulders, elbows/forearms, knees and (I think) hips.

For gloves, I'd like Quasi's Extreme Cordura (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Jobs/IT-computing/Networking-systems/auction-68030798.htm?key=42521) ones - reinforced carbonfibre/Kevlar knuckle protectors, Thinsulate lined and waterproof. Wish I could afford them before the Cold Kiwi as my Darbis are fucked.

XR250 Si
28th August 2006, 12:27
Cheers Wolf.

I found the XL size helmets a good fit width wise, but too much up down movement. The L size is a tighter fit, but as the helpful guy at Cycletreads, where I bought it pointed out, the internals will shrink a little after a bit of use. I like the cheek paddingin the HJC's, it just feels that little more secure.

I tried on the Gaerne Explorers too. They were my second choice. I just found the Sidi's a little more comfortable as they weren't so stiff in the ankle area. Of course, you'd expect after more wear, any boot will loosed up a bit.

I was looking at the Draggin' Jeans cargo pants yesterday. They've got kevlar lining and apparently you can get additional armour for them. Will probably get some Dririders for those days where it looks like rain is coming.

For my jacket I bought the armour upgrade kit. I swapped out the original armour. The forearm armour from the upgrade kit isn't as long, so I might put the original pads back in.

I'm not sure if I saw any Quasi gloves. I did try on several of the Nordic and Dririder gloves. They had kevlar and carbon fibre protection. I guess it's best to buy one pair for winter and another for summer. I found the feel through the winter gloves excellent considering the thickness of them. There was an Italian made pair that felt great. I can't remember the brand... only thing was they were $250.

Wolf
28th August 2006, 13:51
I'm not sure if I saw any Quasi gloves.
Quasi is one of the KBers, located here in Hamilscum. The link in my previous post points to the entry for the gloves on his web site - $89 for the Cordura Extreme. He does mail order.

Lias has some and reckons they withstood the rain extremely well when he rode from here to New Plymouth. His hands were damp but he thinks that was not from the gloves leaking but from putting wet hands back in his gloves after stopping and taking them off a few times.

Personally I'd love the Icon "TiMax" - Titanium knuckle protectors and skid plates on the cuff, rivets on the main impact point of the palm, seriously designed to protect your hands in a crash but seriously expensive, too.

My Darbis are crap - some gloves are made with a built-in curve to the fingers so that when you wrap your fingers around the throttle the underside does not bunch up too much. My Darbis were not made in such a fashion and it feels like I'm trying to grip the throttle while holding a teatowel. The lining bunches so badly that trying to put them on with even slightly damp hands is a mission and they soak through in a matter of minutes in a decent rain. To cap it all off, they do not have wrist fasteners, just zips to size-down the cuffs and even when zipped tight I can put on and remove the gloves with ease (given dry hands) so if I have an accident I'd better pray my hands are wet or I'm likely to find out what it feels like to have my gloves ripped off my hands at speed.

When choosing gloves, ensure that they are not merely comfortable but that you cannot remove them when they are fastened - if you can take them off, you can bet the road can.

Thanks for your assessment of the relative differences between the Gaerne Explorers and the Sidi Canyons. What are the prices like and where did you find them? I can't find either here in Hamilscum.

I find I spend a lot of time walking around in my riding boots when I come into town on the bike and my Sidis are indeed excellent for that - comfortable, flexible but with good protection. I could imagine that the Canyons would be made with comfort in mind. I didn't try the Dririders on, but they look very similar to my Sidis except they have hard impact pads on both the inside and outside of the ankles (my Sidis only have them on the outside - bugger all protection for your ankle if the bike lands on you.) MX boots look too rigid - serious armour but screw walking around town buying things while wearing them.

My ideal jacket would be 3/4 length, waterproof shell, hard armour at shoulders, elbows forearms and spine, and have a removable thermal layer. The Spool and Mobig jackets at "Road and Sport" fit that description and are only $200. The Spool leggings likewise come with the armour at the knees, removable liner and waterproof shell. They're only $200 as well.

JeremyW
12th September 2006, 18:32
Sounds like everyone has given some good advice. This might be a hugely ameturish mistake but stay away from anything looking remotely like a shift leather glove (road warrior I think) if you want any warmth.

Great feel but you will lose all feeling on any day other than a blistering heat wave day.

XR250 Si
20th September 2006, 16:00
Well, still waiting for the bike. Any day now fingers crossed. All I want to do is get out there and get riding.

The gloves are sorted. One pair of Dririder Nordic for Winter and one pair of Dririder Rally Cross for summer.

XR250 Si
16th October 2006, 08:46
Went out on Saturday morning and bought my XR250. Have to wait till Wednesday evening for the bike to be delivered at my place, all regoed, WoF'd and ready to go. Will be here just in time for the long weekend.

To say I am excited is a bloody understatement. I'm looking forward to this very much.:D

Wolf
16th October 2006, 10:14
Went out on Saturday morning and bought my XR250. Have to wait till Wednesday evening for the bike to be delivered at my place, all regoed, WoF'd and ready to go. Will be here just in time for the long weekend.

To say I am excited is a bloody understatement. I'm looking forward to this very much.:D

I hope that it all goes smoothly and it turns up on time. It took a month of farting around on the part of LTSA to get my bike regoed. A month of "it should be ready Monday/Wednesday/before the end of the week". Missed out on a corker of a long weekend with great riding weather (was seriously pissed off about that).

All the best.

XR250 Si
17th October 2006, 16:14
That sux Wolf! The rego was done yesterday and we're just waiting for the funds to go through.

Bought some pants yesterday arvo and that was the only remaining kit I hadn't got. So now I'm already to roll. Bought some security cables and locks today and have one of those disc locks with inbuilt alarm to hopefully deter anybody else trying to take her for a ride.

Wolf
17th October 2006, 18:17
The rego was done yesterday and we're just waiting for the funds to go through.
Glad to hear it. Hope to be seeing you on the road sometime.

XR250 Si
18th October 2006, 13:32
Bike arrives at 6.30 tonight. Also happens to be the same time the folks are coming around for dinner... Hope they don't mind if I eat my dinner outside.:laugh:

It's all come together nicely, just in time for the long weekend.

Zukin
18th October 2006, 19:00
So did it arrive as planned??:laugh:

upshift
18th October 2006, 19:38
So, are you coming to Kaipara?

Mr. Peanut
18th October 2006, 21:16
Excellent choice of bike. A VERY good learners bike.

Wolf
18th October 2006, 21:41
So did it arrive as planned??:laugh:
It must have - he's too busy riding it to answer you. Wonder if his folks just got left eating dinner at his place while he buggered off for a ride...

Zukin
18th October 2006, 21:58
So, are you coming to Kaipara?

Hi

No unfortunately not :(
Only one Bike has arrived and still waiting for one :(
Have fun
Will see you on the trail somewhere

Scott

upshift
18th October 2006, 23:18
Hi

Have fun

Scott

Very unfortunate.
I have been lurking on your mountain to sea ride thread and possible starter for that. Also looking at coming up that way on 25/26 November.

cheers,
Neil

XR250 Si
19th October 2006, 07:51
Yep, it arrived on time. The mechanic went over a few things with me... most of which I have already forgotten. LOL.

One thing I hadn't tested was the horn. Well crikey! It scared the crap out of me. I guess it needs to be loud to alert all those crazy cage drivers out there.

No plans to go to any events just yet guys. Will see how quickly I get the hang of the bike and then see what's going on.

Got a full tank of gas and ready to go. Just trying to remember where I put my helmet...

Alice
19th October 2006, 07:53
Hi

Have fun

Scott

Bummed out for you.
I have been reading this thread and feeling excited for you.I am in a similiar situation, I have brought a VTR 250 to learn on after months of getting things sorted, learner license, what to buy, trying to track a bike down, looking at bikes that have a high ask price, decisions, decisions.Made a final decision and now I have to wait 6 weeks for it to arrive, 6 bloody weeks ---In the meantime I have to settle for watching other people riding along and I think, soon, soon I will be doing that tooo.Its cruel particulatly on the warm sunny days we have had lately.Can't wait!
Hope yours turns up sooon.

XR250 Si
19th October 2006, 08:41
Yeah, I know how it feels to have to wait. I too have waited around 6 weeks. In the end I gave up waiting for this 'new shipment' that was supposed to arrive over a month ago and tracked down one of the previous shipment instead. It was a demo unit, but when I looked at it, it had only done 1km. So I went for it.

merv
23rd October 2006, 20:24
Hey glad to hear you have the bike now XR250 Si. When I bought mine Motomart had one in the shop and I just went in and bought it so I never had the kind of wait you are talking about. Still having fun with mine, I take it on the trips that it suits and leave the WR at home. I finally caught up with Zukin for a ride and if you haven't seen it yet check out the story here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=37744.

Don't believe those too much that are telling you its a learners bike - while they have a lower compression engine and smaller header pipes than an XR250R once you've run it in you will be able to wind it out to around 140km/hr on the speedo - a true over 130 by my GPS, and I can run mine fast on gravel and still do over 25km/litre of gas. True it is not as quick as my WR but the engine will do far more kms before a rebuild and that's why I have the XR to use it on the cruisy types of rides over longer distances where I don't need the speed of the WR and it would be pointless putting extra kms on the WR engine.

Have fun.

XR250 Si
24th October 2006, 10:10
Cheers Merv, I didn't get much of a chance to ride the bike in the weekend due to lots of other things such as an engagement party to go to. Yesterday was a write off.

I did enjoy the time I did spend on it though. On Saturday I took a corner a little too quickly and had the rear end slide out a tad. Not a major and I didn't fall off or anything. All I thought was "Whooaaa, that was fun!"

Straight home for a ride tonight.

merv
24th October 2006, 11:10
As far as riding the XR on gravel goes, I've tended to be one that runs knobblies at fairly low pressure like about 14psi and I love riding fast on gravel, but the first few outings I did on the XR it felt a bit loose particularly at the front. I thought its the damn road legal tyres being a bit too rounded and it was kind of rolling on the stones. Anyway before this latest trip I took a hunch and bumped the pressures up to 21psi both ends and on the roads we went on it made it a whole lot better, so contrary to my normal thinking for dirt riding more grip didn't come from less air.

Motu
24th October 2006, 11:45
That's a bit backwards alright Merv,I'll file that one away for future reference.I definatly equate low pressures with traction,and will only go up to take the snap out on hook up or to subdue a wobble....but I can handle a lot of wobble and shake before I up the pressures.

merv
24th October 2006, 18:11
Yeah its just the type of tyres it came with I think. Typical road legal stuff they have firm carcasses and it just took me a while to figure out they are more like a road tyre and need the firm pressure on gravel. On muddy slippery going that would be different of course. The roads we were on were quite tight but there was enough of a straight between curves for me to register 111km/hr on my GPS as the quickest I went on the gravel and the XR feels good at that. No matter what Zukin says about his DRZ (which is basically the same as the DR I had) the Honda is smoother, is more responsive (no sticky carb or driveline lash) and handles better than the Suzuki ever did. I always felt like I was riding that bike at 80% and swearing at it while I did.

XR250 Si
26th October 2006, 12:45
Took the bike out for a quick spin last night. With our typical Auckland weather whaddya know... I get to the end of the driveway and it starts pissing down on me. Nothing major, although I wish I had zipped in my waterproof liner!

Just headed around the block a few times. Think I'm starting to get the hang of things. Well, I'm having no issues with balancing at least :lol:. I'm still getting used to the gears. Biggest problem is I keep forgetting which gear I'm in (No doubt I'll get the hang of this in the near future). Don't like the feeling of dropping it into too lower a gear and having what feels like the front pitching down a bit.

Mental note to myself... must remember to turn the fuel selector to the 'on' position before heading out.:laugh:

merv
26th October 2006, 12:51
Good on ya Si keep getting used to the bike and you will love it.

XR250 Si
3rd November 2006, 10:12
Not much new to report. Have had a couple of rides around the neighbourhood this week. Had my longest ride last night. Sure, it was only 25km, but I felt this ride was in some way a turning point. Felt really comfortable and relaxed on the bike from the start and I think this has something to do having got the hang of the gearing.

A small step, but I now feel comfortable riding at 50kph+

I do need to practise the stop/start side of things a little more as I stalled a couple of times more than I would have liked at the uphill stop signs around our area. Good practise for hill starts though eh?

Hoping to get to the park tomorrow morning where I can hone a few more things in relative safety. Just hope I don't wake up with a migraine like last weekend.

merv
3rd November 2006, 11:17
Going well then, have fun.

XR250 Si
6th November 2006, 08:02
First photo after Saturday's ride.

merv
6th November 2006, 08:55
You need a KiwiBiker sticker on that bare looking front board.

Alice
6th November 2006, 09:36
Mental note to myself... must remember to turn the fuel selector to the 'on' position before heading out.:laugh:[/QUOTE]

Ha, Har,
I'm sure I will do those dumb arse things to.Like learning to drive a car, seems like a lot to remember and the brain seems to function at a slower rate of knots when concentrating on each thing individually instead of it being automatic.
Sounds like you having fun.Its interesting to read how other learners are finding the learning process, going through the un'co stage.
My bike is 15 days away now, big countdown, how exciting, can't wait.

XR250 Si
6th November 2006, 10:14
True Merv.

I went for a 50km ride on Saturday morning and all went really well. I stalled twice and that was on my driveway. Apart from that - all good.

Alice, I'm sure I'll do many more dumb ass things over the coming months. I find that when I'm really trying to concentrate on something I cock it up. Like when I'm coming to a stop sign... If I plan ahead too far, I usually end up stalling.

Alice
6th November 2006, 11:38
Glad to hear your Sat ride went well.
I'm not taking the piss out of you, I will be in the same boat soon and probably getting frustrated and wondering how long it takes to get it together.Its just a learning curve and it will be all worth it in the end.
I know its going to be a bit scary at times, just part of it.
Have fun.

XR250 Si
6th November 2006, 12:12
Didn't take it as a piss take Alice:msn-wink:... I believe if I was to take life too seriously I might not make it out alive:lol:

I've only got a few rides under my belt and Saturday was double the distance of my previous longest ride. Like you, I was worried about how long it would take to get it together. Must say I feel pretty confident on it now, but definitely not complacent. I know I've still got a lot to learn. It sure is fun though... I look forward to every evening now.

merv
6th November 2006, 12:49
Si I presume you are getting good km/litre out of your XR because mine does well even with it nailed to the throttle stop a lot.

For a dirt bike don't you just love the nice plush suspension and the smooth motor?

XR250 Si
6th November 2006, 13:00
Yeah Merv, still got a fair bit left in the tank. Very smooth it is. Must say I was glad to get off and have a bit of a walk around though. The suspension is still on the factory settings and it feels fine at the moment.

Think I'll have to go for a ride to the bike shop to get them to show me how to adjust the chain when that loosens up a bit. The mechanic went over it briefly when he delivered the bike, but I can't remember exactly what to do.:o

Wolf
6th November 2006, 14:39
You need a KiwiBiker sticker on that bare looking front board.

Nah! KB sticker on the tip of the front mudguard, seriously rad-as kick-arse custom graphics on that bare-looking front board...

merv
6th November 2006, 15:01
Think I'll have to go for a ride to the bike shop to get them to show me how to adjust the chain when that loosens up a bit. The mechanic went over it briefly when he delivered the bike, but I can't remember exactly what to do.:o

The long travel suspension on the dirt bike requires a bit of chain slack - don't have less than recommended in your handbook. I have done a few thousand kms on mine since January and have yet to touch the chain. The modern O or X ring chains never need much adjusting, just lubing. My WR which has even more power and is over two years old is still on its original setting too.

To do it though you just loosen off your axle nut and snick the snail cams around one notch on each side (I doubt you'd ever need to do more than one notch at each adjustment as they just don't need that much adjusting) - make sure they are both on the same setting to keep the wheel square in the frame.

XR250 Si
6th December 2006, 10:01
Been a while since I reported in. Still got the bike, it's still in one piece and so am I.:)

Things are going well, haven't been riding to work, but will begin that soon. Been trying to get a ride in every evening even if it's just 15 minutes.

Done a couple of stupid things like running out of gas (lucky there's that reserve tank eh?) and flattening the battery trying to get it started... found out I had accidently knocked the emergency killswitch:shit:

merv
6th December 2006, 12:00
Hey you only learn from doing shit like that so good on you.

Have fun.

XR250 Si
21st December 2006, 15:14
Santa came early today... ordered myself one of the new HJC HQ-X1 helmets:). Hopefully it arrives tomorrow in time for my holiday.

Lately I've been riding around all over the surrounding suburbs and into the city. This Sunday I'll be taking the bike over to Waiheke Island for a week or so. Plan is to explore more of the eastern side of the island. Will be heading out on the dirt and gravel roads for the first time. Nothing major but that's a good thing.

Anyway, Merry Christmas. Be safe out there – catch you next year. :niceone:

merv
21st December 2006, 18:00
Yeah Merry Xmas to you too - have fun on your bike.

XR250 Si
1st June 2007, 09:30
Still out there doing it and still loving it. Had a couple of weeks with no riding, but making up for it now. Still haven't got rid of my 'L' plate, but that's because I'm slack!

Was sitting in traffic on Khyber Pass this morning, minding my own business and having a look at all the bikes in AMPS front window. Next minute the bike lurches forward and I'm thinking "WTF?"... then I look behind me and this stupid cager is right up my backside:shit:. I don't know if she was txting, doing what ever it is women do instead of scratching their nuts,or what. I naturally gave her an ear full and she's mouthing at me and waving like it's my fault:angry:. She just sat there parked up my backside... two minutes after moving off I thought "Should've spun the rear wheel up on her bumper.":devil2:

merv
1st June 2007, 12:19
Good on ya Si, glad to hear you're still out there and sort of avoiding the problems. Just as well that one wasn't more serious.

Moki
8th June 2007, 19:52
Hi all,

I am just getting into motorcycling and will hopefully be buying my first bike in the next month or so ('06 Honda XR250L).

What I need to do is get my riding gear sussed. Will mostly be using bike to commute to work daily and use off the beaten track in the weekends. Will mostly be gravel and light stuff to start off with until my confidence builds

I have had a look at the Dririder range and think I will go for the Rallycross Evo jacket with the upgrade kit and the Rallycross pants. The Rallycross gloves seem to have a good amount of protection too, although I haven't had a chance to have a proper squiz at them (only seen these on the Dririder website).

I'm seeing all these boots and helmets, but what I need to know is what to look at and what to avoid. I would prefer to have just one pair of boots that I can use for on road/off road. With regards to the helmet, should I be looking at the closed face style or the motorcross style with goggles?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Welcome to to the wonderful world of motorcycling! I would recommend that you just go with a decent quality helmet that FITS. Try on different makes and a settle for a reputable, quality brand that fits. Don't go overboard on price, as helmets should be replaced every couple years or if it drops. There's a good range of quality lids around the $500 mark. Of course, you have to consider how much you value your gourd. Boots, Jacket, trousers, gloves - get the best quality you can afford and look for build & material quality instead of fashion. The better the quality gear you get, the better job they'll do for you and the longer they'll serve you.
Have fun and be safe!:rockon:

windboy
9th June 2007, 20:45
"Should've spun the rear wheel up on her bumper.":devil2:

Hi Si, Good on you with the new XR250, would have loved to have that as a learner bike but short legs and learning to ride on a tall bike don't mix that well.

I hear you about the auckland drivers, too busy doing all sorts of things while driving, missing what's happening on the road. I commute everyday on the bike and just about everyday I see it (a lot of nasty thoughts come to my mind, kicking doors, wing mirrors, etc.).

Anyhow, on a good note I wondered if you were keen on trying a few gravel roads I know around north and west a bit. Only 25 min from auckland central, takes about 2-3 hour and you're all done. Let us know as almost every weekend I get my fit of offroad riding, rain or shine...

later,