PDA

View Full Version : Coro Loop

XF650
25th July 2006, 21:37
Can someone please post a map pic showing the Coromandel Loop.
Might get the opportunity to ride the route so would like to see where the Loop goes. Thanks

Da Bird
25th July 2006, 21:47
Best I could do... someone might have a better one. :D

XF650
25th July 2006, 22:00
Thanks Bykey Cop

Wasp
25th July 2006, 22:19
Nope i think thats a very good and blantently ovbious map there BC

Kornholio
25th July 2006, 22:40
Can someone please post a map pic showing the Coromandel Loop.
Might get the opportunity to ride the route so would like to see where the Loop goes. Thanks

Here you go chap....

terbang
25th July 2006, 22:49
Here you go chap....

Know the road well do ya?
Wots all those black dots on the map..? Pubs..?

Ixion
25th July 2006, 22:52
XF650? Isn't that the Freewind? In which case, take the short loop (less miles, but a LOT more fun) through Road 309. Half way up the peninsula, east/west.Turn off the coast road at tapu, comes out right by the Coroglan Pub. natural providence that is.

Sprotsbikes can't go that way.

Kornholio
25th July 2006, 22:57

Na mate piss stops for my Woolworths bladder :D

How ya doin anyway flyboy...been over there yourself lately?

What?
26th July 2006, 06:20
XF650? Isn't that the Freewind? In which case, take the short loop (less miles, but a LOT more fun) through Road 309. Half way up the peninsula, east/west.Turn off the coast road at tapu, comes out right by the Coroglan Pub. natural providence that is.

Sprotsbikes can't go that way.
That ain't the 309 - it is the Tapu-Coroglen. Sprotsbikes can go that way...
The 309 goes from just south of Coromandel across to Kaimarama (a few K's south of Whitianga). Sprotsbikes would be well advised to stay away.

2much
26th July 2006, 07:17

If those were all pubs it would take Korn 6 months to do the coro.

Motu
26th July 2006, 08:37
- it is the Tapu-Coroglen. Sprotsbikes can go that way...

They haven't sealed it have they?!!! I haven't been over it for about 4 years,but it looked a long way from sealing to me.

MWVT
26th July 2006, 09:37
They haven't sealed it have they?!!! I haven't been over it for about 4 years,but it looked a long way from sealing to me.

I took the dirty old falcon over it about six months ago, sure wasn't sealed then. Was picking up my stupid mate who had managed to drive off a scary looking 'incline'. Dickhead.

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 13:56
Here you go chap....

I suggest going to opposite direction as inplied by Korn's map, Anti clock is much more fun.

beyond
26th July 2006, 15:19
Yeah, I agree. Dunno why but the loop seems much better anti clockwise for some reason.

I just love that hunk of road, especially the Whitianga to Coro bit.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :ride: :ride: :ride: :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :clap: :clap:

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 15:24
Yeah, I agree. Dunno why but the loop seems much better anti clockwise for some reason.

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :ride: :ride: :ride: :2thumbsup :2thumbsup :clap: :clap:

Yes I think thats the main reason, also the coast section on the west can dry out a bit by the afternoon if anticlocking it, but the hill just before coro is one of the better bits of roading in NZ for bikes

marty
26th July 2006, 15:53
you would be ill-advisd to take a sportsbike over the tapu coroglen, or over the 309, or over the kennedy bay hill, or over the colville - port charles hill. an xf650 on the other hand.....

Motu
26th July 2006, 15:57
An FT500 would be a good choice too....

marty
26th July 2006, 16:05
pretty much anything that doesn't have $2000 worth of fairings actually....

actually a decent 4 wheeler would be fun

sAsLEX
26th July 2006, 16:07
pretty much anything that doesn't have $2000 worth of fairings actually....

sounds like my NC30 would be perfect!

igor
26th July 2006, 20:21
it appeasr u need to get out a bit more. the maps u use r only to be used by tarmac cowboys who don't travel on roads without campa vans

sssssshhhhhhssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Kornholio
26th July 2006, 21:05
it appeasr u need to get out a bit more. the maps u use r only to be used by tarmac cowboys who don't travel on roads without campa vans

Giddy up horsey.... At least at the end of the ride I can just flick of a few bugs(and maybe change undies) and not have to go through the whole all clothes off and hose down before you can even walk in the house like you mud-monkeys do :P Meh each to their own :blip:

Goblin
26th July 2006, 21:34

Have to agree there beyond....I much prefer it anti clockwise. That way I get to do the Karangahake Gorge:yes:

btw...Lately I've been hankering to ride to Port Jackson. If any other mad buggas want to join me....(dont know when yet) Havn't done a decent gravel ride for sooo long.:wait:

igor
26th July 2006, 21:48
went up 2 port jacko a wwhile bak. hard packed gravel good for 120 plus. even some tarmac cowboy could probably ride it if he ant scared of a bit of gravel. best views up the topend

igor
26th July 2006, 21:55
you would be ill-advisd to take a sportsbike over the tapu coroglen, or over the 309, or over the kennedy bay hill, or over the colville - port charles hill. an xf650 on the other hand.....

marty the 309 was smooth as a babies bum last tiem i wnet over it, and ya can stop off at the outcasts place and get something to calm ya nervess
kennedy bay was good
tapu coroglen got me bike covered in shite as pper usual
colville port charles is ok

givus the busa i will try it out

can u put a 110/90 18 knob on front and a 120/90 17 knob on rear wwwwwwwoooooooooohhhoooooooooooooooooooo

Kornholio
26th July 2006, 22:00
best views up the topend

Yeah from a boat lol...Snapper on :D

Edbear
26th July 2006, 22:08
Yes I think thats the main reason, also the coast section on the west can dry out a bit by the afternoon if anticlocking it, but the hill just before coro is one of the better bits of roading in NZ for bikes

Yeah, but even on my bike it really gives the upper body a work out coming down! One corner was signposted at 15km/h last time I rode it! Has anyone else finished with sore wrists from pushing it around there? Maybe I'm just too feeble...:bye: Gotta be one of the best rides in the country!:first: Though I also had to bleed the front brakes after that, too!:blip:

The Pastor
26th July 2006, 22:57
So what are the fastest lap times :D how much km is it?

Gremlin
27th July 2006, 02:26
hmmm, depends on conditions. Doing the short loop, as posted by Korn is about 190km. Can be done in about 2 hours at not-cruising pace and obviously no stops.

Given that I'm slow, sub 2 hours would be quite easy I would imagine for those that ummm.... really enjoy the roads.

What?
27th July 2006, 06:44
Hell, no. I doubt the Tapu-'Glen will ever be sealed, but it is usually in pretty good nick (whereas the 309 is often muddy and tends to get rutted by logging trucks)

beyond
27th July 2006, 09:46
Have to agree there beyond....I much prefer it anti clockwise. That way I get to do the Karangahake Gorge:yes:

btw...Lately I've been hankering to ride to Port Jackson. If any other mad buggas want to join me....(dont know when yet) Havn't done a decent gravel ride for sooo long.:wait:

Port Jackson is awesome. Crystal clear water, lovely beach, nice stream.
Long time since I was up there but back then the road was crap. Thick gravel to the sides and middle and heaps and heaps of corrugation.

Hopefully that is long gone by the sounds of it but will still be a ride and half for sports bike. Hope the corrugations are gone as the front end will be going like a pogo stick otherwise. :)

A decent trailie would be a good way to go.

marty
27th July 2006, 12:53
sure igor - you can ride my bike. any time :)

XF650
30th July 2006, 21:56
While the wife went shopping I rode the top loop on Friday with "rogson", on his GSX1200 & VX800. Top bloke, great bikes, & fantastic road in perfect weather. T'was a bloody good day - thanks again Roger.