PDA

View Full Version : How to take forks off a CB900 Hornet?

Zapf
26th July 2006, 17:23
How to take forks off a CB900 Hornet?

Can anyone point me to some material or general idea of how to take the forks out from a CB900 Hornet? This is with the view of sending them to someone to work on.

Cheers

ManDownUnder
26th July 2006, 17:31
See if there is a manual avaialable online (see this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=10556)thread)...

MDU

dveus
26th July 2006, 17:33
Take plenty of photos for reference and just start unbolting stuff. You'll eventually get the forks out and will most likely learn alot in the process.

sparrow_34
26th July 2006, 18:36
Here ya go.

Gremlin
27th July 2006, 01:46
Do not, as I have already told you, accept advice from either myself or aff-man... :wait:

Our little adventure. (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=26464) Bit of info in there too.

Basically... don't expect 100% success by holding the handlebars... but by all means invite me round to watch :corn:

WickedOne
11th August 2006, 16:22
Here ya go.

Hey there, do you by any chance have the rest of the service manual?

crazybigal
11th August 2006, 16:41
how are you going to suport the bike once you have the front end off?
I jacked my rf up and put v shape axle stands on each side of the motor ( no center stand :-(
that shifted the weight to the rear of the bike and lets you slide the forks out.
dont know if there is anywere you can safely jack the cb900 onto, main thing is to stop it falling over! so 1 under the motor wont do it! been there done that with other bikes! need to spread the load as wide as possible.
good luck!

FROSTY
17th August 2006, 09:15
Its VERY VERY easy--first off-you buy a paddock stand and front stem stand off of FROSTY. Put the bike on the rear stand then lift the front end with the stem stand.
undoo the caliper bolts -remove calipers.
Undoo front axle and remove front wheel.
At this point you need to think what you're doing-if its a simple fork height adjustment then loosen the upper triple clamp bolts then the lower bolts
just ease the lower bolts so theres a tiny bit of stiction.
you can now tap the forks up and down.
If its a strip down then remove the fork brace first then drop the forks individually -

sparrow_34
17th August 2006, 13:02
Hey there, do you by any chance have the rest of the service manual?

Yeah, but it is only in hard copy. I scanned that page in.