PDA

View Full Version : Toll charges

Redstar
6th June 2004, 20:04
There is going to be a change in the New Zealand motoring scene and It starts with the B2 Extention to the northern motorway between Silverdale and Pohoi due to start construction start this year.
now this raises a few question for us Bikers.

The use of a Transponder to deduct a fixed charge from an established prepayed account. this device will be attached to the inside of your car window and will automatically debit a pre-established bank account.

In the UK M6 the charge is about 50% less for Bikes than cars and in Finland the Transponder is carried in your pocket not fixed to the Bike.

There will be a charge for the Transponder but dont worry if you dont have one because there is a video that snaps your plate and bills you plus a video charge about twice the toll charge

and if you dont pay well theres a heahty penalty charge if not paid.

I will ask all the questions of Transit and keep you posted.

but if you want to check it out go to http//www.transit.govt.nz/national_tolls/

fastford111
6th June 2004, 20:41
over here in aussie we have this system on all our motorways . they cost us $3.30 for a car and $7.10 for a truck. bikes come under a car . we also have what they call a E tag that takes money out of your bank you nomernate how much you will use a mounth and they take that if you dont use that much you get a refund at the end of the mounth works ok but it is a licence to print money

dangerous
6th June 2004, 21:12
over here in aussie we have this system on all our motorways . they cost us $3.30 for a car and $7.10 for a truck. bikes come under a car

When I was living in Brissie the toll's were $2 just biff it in the collection bin and the barrier arm lifts up..... hasent chainged has it?

Im all for you lot up north to pay for your own rd's and the transponder thingie sounds like a good idea no having to stop.

Cajun
7th June 2004, 09:37
Well the toll road in tauranga, is free for motorcycles.

sAsLEX
7th June 2004, 10:04
transponders dont sound to cheap, who pays for them??

PeteThePom
7th June 2004, 12:49
Im all for you lot up north to pay for your own rd's and the transponder thingie sounds like a good idea no having to stop.
So I assume you'd be quite happy to fund any new roads down south out of your own pocket then Dangerous?

Skyryder
7th June 2004, 13:07
Toll charges; just another example of the so called 'efficiency' of Rodgernomics. Since the abolition of the Ministry of Works New Zealand road planning and its infanstructure has ceased to exist. Auckland first the rest of us next.

Skyyryder

dangerous
7th June 2004, 13:11
So I assume you'd be quite happy to fund any new roads down south out of your own pocket then Dangerous?

I was waiting for such a reply :confused: Yes I would be more than happy to pay for the rd's that I use down here, just as I was more than happy to pay for the rds I used when in Brissie, I was happy to pay 2 bucks as it takes a lot of time off a often small trip asross the city and made my day so much easier.

Now if I am up your way once again, I am more than happy to pay a toll to use a rd that I am using.
What gets me going is when the RUC that I pay on my diesel truck goes up by 33% (last April) to pay for rd's that I am likely to never use and remember that fuel also went up for the same reasons, so I and all the others down here are paying more than once for the same thing

tolls means user pays and in this case I am all for it. If some of the money gathered was to be used on rd's here aswell that would be good as for the cock up down the rd from me now means traffic at peck times comes to a stand still out side my house and I live on SH1 thats just b/s.

dangerous
7th June 2004, 13:14
Toll charges; just another example of the so called 'efficiency' of Rodgernomics. Since the abolition of the Ministry of Works New Zealand road planning and its infanstructure has ceased to exist. Auckland first the rest of us next.

Skyyryder

Thats just the way it is every were else in the world, were just keeping up.

geoffm
7th June 2004, 16:06
Now if I am up your way once again, I am more than happy to pay a toll to use a rd that I am using.
What gets me going is when the RUC that I pay on my diesel truck goes up by 33% (last April) to pay for rd's that I am likely to never use and remember that fuel also went up for the same reasons, so I and all the others down here are paying more than once for the same thing

tolls means user pays and in this case I am all for it. If some of the money gathered was to be used on rd's here aswell that would be good as for the cock up down the rd from me now means traffic at peck times comes to a stand still out side my house and I live on SH1 thats just b/s.
:spudwave: You do realise that Auckland pays more in fuel tax than it receives in road funding - ie it is a net contributor to the NZ roading system? The magic of a higher population density, driving big 4wds...
Geoff

Lou Girardin
7th June 2004, 16:19
The more toll roads the better. It'll leave the more interesting roads traffic free.
Well, that's the theory, but I've just remembered how little used the Tauranga toll road is.

What?
7th June 2004, 19:06
Well the toll road in tauranga, is free for motorcycles.
For which I shall assume a fair degree of responsiblity...

Lou - all we need is to make the interesting roads tolled (and free for bikes). Heaven on earth...