PDA

View Full Version : SV 1000 Cans

Westy
26th July 2006, 22:34
Hi all, anyone got any ideas of which mufflers sound best on an sv thou. I want to get that nice deep throaty sound like a ducati but better if you know what I mean.

The_Dover
26th July 2006, 22:36
The carbon microns sound pretty good, not heard them with yoshis but the tlr sounded great with rs3's.

SpankMe
26th July 2006, 22:37
The Yoshi's sound good but I got a fair bit of popping on deceleration.

degrom
27th July 2006, 09:10
Is Carbon pipes meant for Twins? If I can remember correctly, someone said once that the big cylinder size and frequency of a V-Twin made the Carbon structure vibrate wrong and then they don't last that long...

WickedOne
27th July 2006, 09:19
DucGurl has a pair of carbon Yoshis and they sound amazing!!!

DMNTD
27th July 2006, 09:46
Yep I got Duc-Gurl a set of carbon Yoshi's (lollies for me)...mmmmmmmmmmighty fine thump produce and they look purdy too. Not the cheapest but got the guys at Maunders Suzuki down to $1200 for the pair,usually closer to $1400-$1500 though. I use the "walk out the door" technique which usually has a good result with salespersons :blip:
Check (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=660916&postcount=6) a pic out here.

Yep this is true to an extent...apparently there's a slight adjustment that can be done to the fueling as it indicates a leaness,which isn't ideal.

Uncle B
27th July 2006, 10:06
I had Yoshi's on mind....deep throaty rumble, plus I removed the PAIR system which eliminated the popping on decel.

DMNTD
27th July 2006, 10:08
..., plus I removed the PAIR system which eliminated the popping on decel.

Could you please explain how you did that mate?

loosebruce
27th July 2006, 13:19
Arrow carbon Ovals are the best i've ever heard on a twin, go a full system if you want something really special, love that vtwin noise.
Some carbon cans are no good on twins, Kerkers for one fall apart when the vibes shatter the carbon weave, Microns, Arrow and to an extent Yoshi carbons are pretty sweet. Do a bit of research into each can before you buy if you're going down the carbon route!

98tls
27th July 2006, 16:04
Arrow carbon Ovals are the best i've ever heard on a twin, go a full system if you want something really special, love that vtwin noise.
Some carbon cans are no good on twins, Kerkers for one fall apart when the vibes shatter the carbon weave, Microns, Arrow and to an extent Yoshi carbons are pretty sweet. Do a bit of research into each can before you buy if you're going down the carbon route! got to agree on the arrows...i work with a guy thats got a set of carbon ones on his SV..sounds awsome.

manuboy
27th July 2006, 16:18
. Yoshi .

Uncle B
27th July 2006, 17:08
Could you please explain how you did that mate?
Did that link I PM'd you help?

DMNTD
27th July 2006, 17:32
Did that link I PM'd you help?
Appreciated Uncle B :yes: ...not the easiest mod it appears but it must be done therefore it shall!
Cheers mate :first:

imdying
27th July 2006, 18:29
Hi all, anyone got any ideas of which mufflers sound best on an sv thou. I want to get that nice deep throaty sound like a ducati but better if you know what I mean.
For that deep sound, get some carbon fibre mufflers. The Yoshimura stainless cans sounds great, but aren't as deep.

I've got some Micron carbons on mine, you will not need a full system if it's deep and loud you want. I run mine without baffles, every ride is a joy.

At approximately $1800 the Arrow cans are the most expensive, but it's a really only a brand thing. If you stick with Arrow or Micron you'll be fine as far as quality goes. IMHO, Yoshimura cans look older faster.

The Microns are nice because they don't use rivets at all, which cleans them up a little.

Twins have a 'reputation' for eating carbon fibre cans, but many people with TLs and Ducatis have been running them for years without problems. Many of the problems associated with older carbon fibre construction techniques appear to have been well ironed out.

The PAIR mod relates to a a little hose that runs to a solenoid from the airbox, and from the solenoid to each cylinder head. It's easy to plug up if adding cans makes your bike pop on the over run (although some people like that and are happy with the effect). I've not had to plug mine, although the K3 with stainless Yoshimura cans I've ridden does pop.

As indicated above, the popping is as much a sympton of the lean state of tune the SV comes in as standard... plugging the PAIR isn't the best option.

From standard, the injection is reasonably lean on the SV1000. Adding cans will intenisfy this 'problem', and may create an off idle stumble. It's a trivial matter to have your injection system remapped by your dealer, which will eliminate this, and increase your horsepower throughout the range. Interestingly, because the bike runs better down low, by enriching the mixture, it also improves your fuel economy.

Don't waste your time and money on a TRE, it's not effective on the SV (you'll wheelie happily without it, and eliminate the other idle problems associated with the TRE).

Bugger all else you need to know, just look at the Yoshimura, Arrow, and Micron cans, pick the ones you like best/can afford. I chose the Microns because I
- Didn't feel the Arrows were worth the extra money
- Couldn't get the Yoshimura stainless mufflers when I wanted them
- Found that the name plates on the Microns were a perfect match to the stickers on my black SV

Hope that helps.

nptnz
28th July 2006, 08:33
How about the new Neptune textured black stainless muffler?approx $1400.
fixed bracket opposed to wrap around strap,never need repacking,
three year warranty.

mattp
11th August 2006, 07:08

I have these on my K3 SV and you do get a lot of popping. But when you have it at 10K in 4th they do sound the mutts :Punk:

paturoa
15th August 2006, 19:36
i've got microns and they are middle of the road - go to spanks SV1000 site there is a vid there of a bike with several setups.

98tls
15th August 2006, 19:56
I have these on my K3 SV and you do get a lot of popping. But when you have it at 10K in 4th they do sound the mutts :Punk: popping has nothing to do with your cans....get a yosh box/power comm and sort out your ECU.:yes:

sinned
23rd November 2006, 18:48
There is some good advice in this thread and an unanswered question on Neptune cans. The Neptune in textured black chrome is $1340.00 per set inc gst should look good on the bike and the price is lower than some of the others. But what do they sound like? Are they as nice sounding as the microns, yoshis or two brothers?

Has anyone got them on an SV1000?

imdying
23rd November 2006, 19:20
Haven't heard the Neptunes, but absolutely loved the carbon fibre Microns I had on my SV to bits. Excellent sound, great build quality. Don't look as pieced together as Yoshi cans, mostly because all of the assembly hardware (screws etc) is either hidden, or simply not there (the two end plates just bolt together with the tube between them). Compared to Yoshi cans, the Microns were deeper, not so raspy. In the end, it comes down (for me) whether you get off on the look of the Tri Oval yoshi cans. If you do, get them, if you don't, get Microns.