PDA

View Full Version : Read a good book lately?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Kickaha
7th June 2004, 09:20
Following on from Life the Universe and Everything it appears we have a few people who like to do a bit of reading.

What books have you read lately and what's your favourites books and writers
My general preference would be for scifi/fantasy, with my personal favourite being "A Mote in Gods Eye" by Niven and Pournelle about mans first contact with aliens.

I'm also a big fan of the discworld series with any book that features Sam Vimes and the City Watch or Rincewind the Wizzard and his Luggage.

The Riftwar books by Raymond E Feist would also be high up in my list along with the Dark Tower books by Stephen King,these are unlike any of his usual writing combining a western with scifi and magic and I'm just waiting for the 5th one to come out in paperback to grab it.

Other Authors I enjoy Jack Higgins,Issac Asimov,Robert Heinlen,David Drake,Louis L'Armour,Sven Hassell,Clive Cussler,Alistar McClean,Fritz Lieber,
Frank Herbert,Gordon R Dickson and a heap more.

My personal library has a few hundred books in it and the only thing that stops it getting bigger is a lack of funds,so I've finally joined the local library,I just hate having to give them back though!

James Deuce
7th June 2004, 09:25
Looking at that list of authors, you'd like John Ringo too.

Try the "March" series for some rousing space opera, and the books about the Posleen - alien invasion of Earth at it's best.

S.M. Stirling's Island in the sea of time series is great too.

Ms Piggy
7th June 2004, 09:27
I love reading too but my problem is I'm quite a slow reader, so I would never get a book finished by the time it's due back at the Library.

The last book I read that really impressed me was one I had as a text for Uni:
'The Treaty of Waitangi' by Claudia Orange. Not intellectual at all and very real. Before that I had read the autobiography of Maya Angelou - a black American poet.

Oh yeah and I do like sci-fi/fantasy novels, although I find it staggering how expensive books are! Yay for a good lot of 2nd hand book stores in Wellington.

Motu
7th June 2004, 10:01
I'm a compulsive reader and I must say this computer stuff cuts into my reading big time.Si/Fi is my favorite too - I just found a complete set of Phillip Jose Farmers Riverworld series in a s/h bookshop,that was a good one,Harry Harrison did some good Si/Fi,and the idiotic Stainless Steel Rat,nothing like spoofing your own genre eh!,but he has also done some historic novels as well,always a good read no matter what he's doing.Piers Anthony was one of the first Si/Fi authers I read (Macroscope) and I followed him for years,but his trip into fantasy land has lost me,any stand alone novel of his is worth a read though.

Of course Lord of the Rings was the first fantasy I read,then along came Terry Brooks with the Shanara series - but then came the deluge and I just can't be bothered going into the countless worlds of dragons and wizards - but a few stand out.Anne Mc Caffery of course,read them from the start,David Eddings has been one the whole family has read and we are picking up books as we go along.

I will read anything,historic novels,crime,horror,workshop manuals,biographies,cereal packets and the instructions on a tube of glue,if it's writting it has my undivided attention.As you'd expect my whole family reads - like,they have a choice?! My eldest daughter suprised a few people when as a 4 yr old she read The Hobbit - ''oh,she's not reading that'' yeah right.They always get a bedtime story and I was reading her John Steinbeck when she was 16.My younger boys are just finishing the complete David Eddings works - my wife reads them that morning and night.

Uh....do you get the idea we like books?

Ghost Lemur
7th June 2004, 11:36
Among the authors I have read and enjoyed (no particular order) -

Adams, Douglas - Burroughs, William S. - Kerouac, Jack - Doestovsky, Feydor - Baudelaire, Charles - Rimbaud, Arthur - Crevel, Rene - Rushkoff, Douglas - Eric Idle - Elton, Ben - Poe, Edgar Allen - Aligieri, Dante - Welsh, Irvine - Astimov, Issac - Prachett, Terry - Orwell, George - Hemmingway, Ernest - Morrison, James - Rollins, Henry - Clarke, Arthur C - Capote, Truman - Shields, Bill - Cave, Nick - Thomas, Dylan - Burgess, Anthony - Huxley, Aldous - etc - etc- etc

I'll pretty much read anything... except for romantic drivel.

sAsLEX
7th June 2004, 12:40
Ludlum, Hawking, older clancy are some good reads

wkid_one
7th June 2004, 13:33
Sci Fi - If you like David Eddings & Raymond E Feist try Stephen Lawhead & Sara Douglass ( The Axis Trilogy (well 9 books) is fantastic).

Others - Lee Child (Reacher Novels) & Stephen Leather.

Skyryder
7th June 2004, 13:37
For Sci Fi fans try 'The Sparrow' by Mary Doria Russell

In 2019, humanity finally finds proof of extraterrestrial life when a listening post in Puerto Rico picks up exquisite singing from a planet which will come to be known as Rakhat. While United Nations diplomats endlessly debate a possible first contact mission, the Society of Jesus quietly organizes an eight-person scientific expedition of its own. What the Jesuits find is a world so beyond comprehension that it will lead them to question the meaning of being "human." When the lone survivor of the expedition, Emilio Sandoz, returns to Earth in 2059, he will try to explain what went wrong... Words like "provocative" and "compelling" will come to mind as you read this shocking novel about first contact with a race that creates music akin to both poetry and prayer. --Not a fast read but different.

I'm not a great Sci Fi fan but this was a little different. The sequal is 'The Children of God.' Have not read this.

For Tolkien buffs the 'Silmarilion.' Deals with the events of prior to the Third Age

Alistair McMclean. 'Circus.' Set just after the end of the American Civil War about a sharp shooter who joins a circus. Big read. Good story.

'Pillars of the Earth' by Ken Follet. Set 60 years after the Norman invasion. About a mason and the building of a Catherderal. Big read but once started you will not be able to put down.

Len Deighton 'Winter.' A Berlin Family 1899-1945. One of his best.

'The Far Pavilions' by M M Kaye When The Far Pavilions was first published nineteen years ago, it moved the critic Edmund Fuller to write this: "Were Miss Kaye to produce no other book, The Far Pavilions might stand as a lasting accomplishment in a single work comparable to Margaret Mitchell's achievement in Gond With the Wind."

From its beginning in the foothills of the towering Himalayas, M.M. Kaye's masterwork is a vast, rich and vibrant tapestry of love and war that ranks with the greatest panoramic sagas of modern fiction.

The Far Pavilions is itself a Himalayan achievement, a book we hate to see come to an end. it is a passionate, triumphant story that excites us, fills us with joy, move us to tears, satisfies us deeply, and helps us remember just what it is we want most from a novel.
Big read but an unstoppable read. Basicly a love story set in the time of the British Raj. Do not let the love fool you.

Could go on and on on this one.

At the moment I am reading Bram Stoker's 'Dracula.'

Skyryder

menace
7th June 2004, 14:11
I just got thorugh the wilbourn smith trilogy... The egiptian one...

Give it 4/5 for the whole trilogy... :)

Satan
7th June 2004, 15:49
I can recommend the following:

A pact with the devil - John Allee
Avoiding Evangilism - Lillee Allee
Heaven and Hell - Richard Arbib
Is there a soul - Christopher Henderson
The Black Book of Satan - Conrod Robury (has all me bitches numbers in it)

Posh Tourer :P
7th June 2004, 17:05
I used to read almost constantly, and have tailed off dramatically since the computer came along. I read almost exclusively fantasy, starting with tolkein (LOTR was read to me at age 7 or so) and apart from reading that many times and it's related books including the silmarillion, hobbit, and unfinished tales and skim through the biography of J.R.R., I also enjoyed all of Piers Anthony's Xanth series, the Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman series whose name I cant remember, Anne McCaffery, David Eddings and Terry Pratchett, as well as HHGGTTG (Douglas Adams). Essentially any fantasy with more than one book. This also includes Robert E. Margoff and Piers Anthony's series, Piers Anthony's Mode and Adept series and some L.E.Modesitt. I sort of ran out of long fantasy series after all that, as there was nothing else at the libraries. The only ones I think I have missed are Raymond E Fiest's series. I'm trying to broaden my reading to other things, like histories and non-fiction, as I dont really enjoy Scifi, or romance. However, at the moment I dont really have the time... :S Kiwibiker is sucking all free time out of me...

erik
7th June 2004, 17:35
I go through spells of reading and not reading. I love reading books, but I guess I'm more addicted to the internet than I am to reading novels, so haven't found the time to read a book in ages.
I've read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and a fair few of Terry Pratchet's discworld novels. Also Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman was a good read, although I don't know if religious types would like it.
No-one has mentioned Orson Scott Card, I really liked Ender's Game by him, and the books that followed.
I thought the Foundation books by Isaac Asimov were really good too.

One author that I didn't like was Tom Holt. I picked up one of his books ("Here comes the sun" iirc) from the library once and tried reading it. But it pretty much seemed like a not-so-skilled author trying to copy Terry Pratchett. But perhaps his other books are better.

Motu
7th June 2004, 18:26

No Alister Crowley?

Oh yes P/T,Orson Scott Card for sure - Return to Earth was a good series from him too.David Gemmel writes some good stuff too,but I'm kinda lost in who,when,where with his books.I really like good old Si/Fi - like new planets and meeting aliens,but it's hard to find now,but recently read some new author doing that,a refreshing change.

What's on my table at the moment?....still getting through the John Britten bio,the thick one by Tim Hanna,but it's borrowed so better return it soon.Have been reading Tamora Pierce's Alanna series,my daughters are giving them to me as they finish their libary copies.Also in the middle of reading Juan Manuel Fangio's autobiography ''My Twenty Years of Racing'',I found that in the Hard To Find Bookshop when I picked up the Riverworld series,which I will read again next.

Home schooling 4 kids we have amased a fair collection - it's huge...uh,no...in the middle of shifting seeing how many books we have is scary,I have no idea where they will go,boxes and boxes andboxes and boxes..........

matthewt
7th June 2004, 18:35
A lot of the authors I read have already been mentioned. I quite like Greg Bear's books as well.

What?
7th June 2004, 19:25
For fiction, I pretty-well start and stop with Dean Koontz and Richard Laymon, with a bit of fantasy from Douglas Adams.
More into bikes and bio's. One of the best books I have ever read was Jupiters Travels by Ted Simon. A tale of a bloke who rode around the world on a 500 Triumph twin. Also Lucy Irvine's Castaway was a good read.
And for the sake of difference, I have read most of what Mr Crowley wrote, as well as most of the bible. Don't have a lot of time for either any more...

MikeL
7th June 2004, 19:41
Have read the odd book or two in my time.
Now it's time to start writing them...

wari
7th June 2004, 19:49
I see the word geeks .... :moon: :mobile:

I see the words ... Bary Crump ... :not: :spudwave:

bungbung
8th June 2004, 08:39
For those of you with a SF bent, try China Mieville, a Brit author in the 'steampunk' genre. "The Scar" and "Perdido St. Station" are pretty cool.

riffer
8th June 2004, 12:13
The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson. Not as heavy as the Thomas Covenant Series, more tongue in cheeck SCIFI.

The Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert. Also, the three books that follow in the series, and the prequels written by Brian Herbert, continue in quality. Also, the Dune and Children of Dune mini-series on DVD are excellent.

Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice. Love em all.

The Lord of the Rings by J R R Tolkein.
Haynes Yamaha FZR 600, 750, & 1000 1987-1996 Repair Manual

I tend to re-read my favourite books a lot. Like re-visiting an old friend.

FROSTY
8th June 2004, 13:03
Following on from Life the Universe and Everything it appears we have a few people who like to do a bit of reading.

What books have you read lately and what's your favourites books and writers
My general preference would be for scifi/fantasy, with my personal favourite being "A Mote in Gods Eye" by Niven and Pournelle about mans first contact with aliens.

I'm also a big fan of the discworld series with any book that features Sam Vimes and the City Watch or Rincewind the Wizzard and his Luggage.

The Riftwar books by Raymond E Feist would also be high up in my list along with the Dark Tower books by Stephen King,these are unlike any of his usual writing combining a western with scifi and magic and I'm just waiting for the 5th one to come out in paperback to grab it.

Other Authors I enjoy Jack Higgins,Issac Asimov,Robert Heinlen,David Drake,Louis L'Armour,Sven Hassell,Clive Cussler,Alistar McClean,Fritz Lieber,
Frank Herbert,Gordon R Dickson and a heap more.

My personal library has a few hundred books in it and the only thing that stops it getting bigger is a lack of funds,so I've finally joined the local library,I just hate having to give them back though!
Holey cow dude--Ive almost finished the MOTE book
My favorite is the ringworld series.

duckman
8th June 2004, 13:18
The Gap Series by Stephen Donaldson. Not as heavy as the Thomas Covenant Series, more tongue in cheeck SCIFI.

The Dune Trilogy by Frank Herbert. Also, the three books that follow in the series, and the prequels written by Brian Herbert, continue in quality. Also, the Dune and Children of Dune mini-series on DVD are excellent.

Yea, The Vamp Chronicles were pretty cool, but boy I got sick of eveyone crying all the time!!!

James Deuce
8th June 2004, 13:43

Best thing in that list is that Haynes manuals. :msn-wink:

But seriously I find Stephen Donaldson an incredible bore.

Frank Herbert's original 3 Dune books are classics but the rest of the series is appallingly tepid.

Anne who???

I love LOTR, but I can't touch it until I have purged the mental images that that light weight film series placed in my brain.

8th June 2004, 14:06
Just watched Dune on Video last week. Got me a little how on the desert planet Arrakis the locals had heaps of precious.........water that no-one knew about, and they were stockpiling it so that they could control the universe and deny the emporer rights to mining. Sounded a little too blatantly allegorical for me. That and the fact that the evil baron had a skin disease and was immediately identifiable as evil. Too obvious. He only floated so that they could show off some effects too. I tried to read the books ages ago, but I think the movie has put me off trying again, as I didnt really like them that much last time

Gixxer
8th June 2004, 15:47
Alice in Wonderland

vifferman
8th June 2004, 15:58
Have read the odd book or two in my time.
Now it's time to start writing them...
You too?
Mind you, they reckon almost everyone in NZ "has a novel in them".
(Whoever "they" is...)

vifferman
8th June 2004, 16:06
Wow! This forum thread is quite an eye-opener.
Who'd have thought that Wikd would be a fan of David Eddings (me too), or that they'd be several others on this list who know of the "Moties"?

Gixxer
8th June 2004, 16:12
David Gemmell - Druss the legend, waylander etc
Raymond E Feist - Riftwars
dragonlance - Many many authors.
Death Dealer - Frank Frazetta and James Slike

Kickaha
8th June 2004, 17:59
Wow! This forum thread is quite an eye-opener.
Who'd have thought that Wikd would be a fan of David Eddings (me too), or that they'd be several others on this list who know of the "Moties"?

Just finished David Eddings Tamuli series yet again,I tend to reread all my books numerous times.

The Moties are cool I particulary like the crazy Eddie figure of their legend that appears in both books,reminds me of some people I know.

Jim2 I would have to agree with you regarding the Dune trilogy and the books that followed,although I didn't mind Chapter House.

What,if you liked Ted Simon you may also like Full Circle by Richard and Mopsa English about riding around the world on a sidecar.

Dean Koontz is another I didn't think of with "Lightning" being my favourite one of his.

Motu,I have read both the John Briitens books and found the Tim Hanna one to be the far more interesting of the two.

Big Dog
8th June 2004, 18:36
Dragons Egg by David Eddings is my favourite book of all time.

Most Eddings fans have never heard of it.

Other favoured authors are,
Andy McNab,
Eric Van lustbader,
Douglas Bader,
Ludlum,
Eric Idle,
Aaron Slight,
Tom Clancy.
Basically if it is two or more of the following
Funny,
informative,
fast paced,
dark,
action filled,
entertaining,
Thought provoking,
About bikes, war, science, crime or cars (whispered).
I'll read it.

merv
8th June 2004, 19:31
I never seem to have much spare time but I'm slowly working my way through Tim Hanna's book on John Britten. Very interesting. I read the Felicity Price one first and found that great but the Hanna one certainly has more of the real guts. Trouble is I'm lucky to get through a chapter a night.

I have the Possum Bourne and Carl Fogarty books to get through yet too - all presents given to me as a guy who likes his books with pictures in them. Typical engineer - no arty fiction stuff for me eh!

RiderInBlack
8th June 2004, 21:22
Just finished "Stranger In A Strange Land" Robert A. Heinlein. An Oldie but a goodie. Would freak out a few people in the Reg. Rav. Thread if I started to quote it!
I like to keep books I've enjoyed reading and reread them when I feel in the mood.
Had a large collection but been selling some because I felt I was reading too often (Idiot, because I'm having to rebuy them now as I can afford and find them), and because my exwife (who read the same books as I did) got half (well more than half) of the books when we separated:angry:
Here just a few that I have enjoyed:
Anne McCaffrey - Dragons of Pern Series, Ship Who Sung Series, Crystal Singer Series, Acorna, Acorna's People, Decision At Doona
Stephen Donaldson - First and Second Chronicles Of the Thomas Covenant, Mordant's Need (2 books).
Any Terry Pretchet but especail the Disc World Series
Julian May - The Saga Of The Exlies (The Many-Coloured Land, etc).
Douglas Adams - THHGTTG Series
Most of The Star Trek Next Gen Series (books). Thats why one of my cats is called Kahless:Oops:
John Wyndham - The Day Of The Triffids, The Chrysalids
Frank Herbert - too many to list but most favourite ones are The Green Brain, The Whipping Star and Destination Void (another one that would fu*k a few in the Reg Rav Thread)
J R R Tolken - LOR (read 10-15 times well before the movies), The Hobbit
C S Lewis - The Nanian Series (The Lion, The Witch And The Wardrobe, Etc)
Finially Rudyard Kipling - All The Mowgli Stories (The Jungle Book, etc. Not the fu*ken Disney shit). Favourite quote from The Jungle Book "Be clean, for the strength of the hunter is known by the gloss of his hide"

bluninja
8th June 2004, 23:05

what ? no 'The Devil Rides Out' ??
OR 'To the Devil a Daughter' ?? by Dennis Wheatley :bye:

bluninja
8th June 2004, 23:14
I like reading, but I become totally zoned in on a book. Will pick up a book and just read to the end...my wife interrupts every so often to make sure that I eat, drink.....but I'll often just read till 4 in the morning to finish the story. Most modern fiction lasts under a day, but it took me about 5 days to read the bible (KJAV) from cover to cover(make of that what you will).

As for authors read....I think I have a database of the 400 books I have left :eek: that doesn't include all the library books, and borrowed books, or those I've had to let go. Like sci-fi, fantasy, general fiction, but not really into biographies.

Twist of the wrist 2 is pretty good to keep re-reading, but I find it hard to read and ride.

Milky
8th June 2004, 23:44
I like reading, but I become totally zoned in on a book. Will pick up a book and just read to the end...my wife interrupts every so often to make sure that I eat, drink.....but I'll often just read till 4 in the morning to finish the story. Most modern fiction lasts under a day, but it took me about 5 days to read the bible (KJAV) from cover to cover(make of that what you will).
I remember the days when I used to be like that - many a day i would get to sleep in the wee hours of the morning because I was engrossed in a book... Unfortunately what with being a student, motorcycling, tv and computer, I am too lazy to get off my ass and go get some good books to read. I read through heaps of fantasy - LE? Modesitt, Piers Anthony etc, and also Chris Ryan, Andy McNab and that genre... I think when I stopped reading, my vocab growth dropped off greatly and my ability to string together coherent sentences with correct grammar and spelling took a large backward step :( Maybe it is time that I made time and restarted my reading....

bluninja
9th June 2004, 00:00
I remember the days when I used to be like that - many a day i would get to sleep in the wee hours of the morning because I was engrossed in a book... Unfortunately what with being a student, motorcycling, tv and computer, I am too lazy to get off my ass and go get some good books to read. I read through heaps of fantasy - LE? Modesitt, Piers Anthony etc, and also Chris Ryan, Andy McNab and that genre... I think when I stopped reading, my vocab growth dropped off greatly and my ability to string together coherent sentences with correct grammar and spelling took a large backward step :( Maybe it is time that I made time and restarted my reading....
You should try work, kids, bike, PS2, TV

Slim
9th June 2004, 10:46
Seems we've got a lot of Fantasy/sci-fi fans round here. I'm another. :)

Anne McCaffrey, Tad Williams (especially the Otherland series about The Net), Heinlein (love the way he writes about cats - class), Marion Zimmer Bradley (she of The Mists Of Avalon), Terry Brooks, Charles de Lint (Canadian Urban Fantasy author - blends native & celtic myths into urban settings), Feist (especially the Magician series & The Empire series with Janny Wurts), Janny Wurts, Robert Jordan (started off really well, but when is he ever gonna finish it!?!?!?), Stephen Lawhead, Juliet Marillier, Elizabeth Moon's Paksenarrion & Gird series, Sheri S Tepper (great womens sci-fi/fantasy) and Melanie Rawn (been waiting ages for the next in one of her series).

Then there's Stephen King (new & old), Nicholas Sparks (he of Message in a Bottle), Anne Rice (will she ever stop writing about vampires?!?!?), Stuart Harrison (a NZer living in London), Nicholas Evans & Barbara Erskine.

I'm a prolific reader too. I'm also the Aunty who only buys books for birthday & Xmas gifts. I've just found out that my soon-to-be-10yo niece is currently reading the 3rd Harry Potter book (it had smaller type than the one I'm currently reading!!!) so I'll get her the 3rd in the Lion, Witch & Wardrobe series (which I also loved as a kid), plus see if I can get a nice hardcover copy of the 1st Harry Potter book too. :)

k14
9th June 2004, 11:18
I hate all of those sci-fi books etc, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, dunno why. Only read non-fiction.

Read the john britten bio by tim hanna a few months ago and that was pretty good, also the possum borne bio, damn good. Read another book called Cold Zero an autobiography by a guy called Chris Whitcomb. He was a guy in the top fbi anti-terrorism team called the hostage rescue team. Really good, very interesting.

A book i want to read is The Art of Deception by Kevin Mitnick. He was one of the first guys jailed for computer hacking, he did some funky stuff with some cell phones and managed to rip off heaps of massive corporations. Problem is that no librarys have it in stock and it costs $50 at whitcoulls.

moko
9th June 2004, 11:19
I read all kinds of stuff,my Mum taught me to read before I started school and it`s been ongoing.
Just finished "King Rat" by James Clavell,well-worth a read,love true crime books and read loads by the usual suspects.Phillip Pullman`s Dark Material`s trilogy(well it seems to be stretching from that)is a good lightweight read on different levels,you could read it at 11 and enjoy the story,read it 10 years later and find the anti-church under-current running through it.
All of Ian Rankin`s "Rebus" books are great,and get better and better,well worth starting from scratch.Michael Connelly`s pretty good too.Read LOTR but found it a bit of a grind,enjoyed Silmarrillion more much to evryone else`s bemusement,they either gave up on it or just didn`t get it.I`ve always got 50 or so books kicking around to read,give them away afterwards,if I kept them I`d have no room,read really quickly.Mate of mine`s daughter is well into reading and I probably buy her as many books as I do for myself,get a real buzz out of expanding her reading horizons,smart kid and we discuss what she`s read,not too long before I can pas mine onto her rather than hunting down teenage-type stuff.
Good thing about here is that wherever you go you find plenty of charity shops selling books people have donated so I can pick up plenty of good stuff for a fraction of the original price,when you can polish off a typical crime novel in a couple of hours like I do then no way can you afford to pay new prices.Coming back from N.Z. year before last I got through a bike mag,a true crime book and all of the "Jake Heke" books on the flight and still had a couple of hours to go.
Carl Fogerty`s autobiography is quite funny,god knows how they ever got a helmet to fit the guy`s head!!O.K. so he was damn good but boy does he know it.

vifferman
9th June 2004, 11:33
Carl Fogerty`s autobiography is quite funny,god knows how they ever got a helmet to fit the guy`s head!!O.K. so he was damn good but boy does he know it.
That's one thing that I REALLY didn't like about him. Yeah, he was/is a good rider, but he's such an arsehole. He hated racing bikes (or so he said), but he loved winning races. Even when he was winning, he bleated all the time about the tyres, the bike the mechanics, the other riders.
Rossi is a completely different kettle of fish, and such a likeable bloke. He LOVES riding bikes, LOVES racing, and enjoys the whole thing. He switched teams just so he could have more of a challenge! The guy is a LEGEND. :Oops: :Offtopic:

Ah books....
No, I don't believe I've read any lately, certainly not in the last few months. Kind of strange, given that I used to be a prodigious reader, devouring 6 or more books in a weekend.
I blame that damned Interweb thingo. What a time-waster....

Skyryder
9th June 2004, 11:33
I love LOTR, but I can't touch it until I have purged the mental images that that light weight film series placed in my brain.

I'm reading it again to get back the images that the film destroyed. Just up to the part where the Orcs are destoyed on the edge of Fangorn forest.

Skyryder

Hitcher
9th June 2004, 15:01
It's not about the bike

What if (1)

What if (2)

A short history of nearly everything

Motorcycle marsala

The book of Mormon

The Hobbit

Captain Corelli's mandolin

Hitcher
9th June 2004, 15:04
[b]

I read The Hobbit, but gave up on LOTR -- too much bloody singing, and who cares really how the plural of elf should be spelt...

James Deuce
9th June 2004, 15:21
I read The Hobbit, but gave up on LOTR -- too much bloody singing, and who cares really how the plural of elf should be spelt... elfs :bleh:

Big Dog
9th June 2004, 15:30
Just finished "King Rat" by James Clavell,well-worth a read,

Excellent book on its own, even better if taken in context with the other books in the series.

A bit like The power of one (sorry forget the autor at just this moment). Excellent insightful book. As is Tandia, Potatoe factory, Tommo & hawk etc but they make a better story the more of the others you have read. IMHO. The Power of one was a much better read the second time around.

Big Dog
9th June 2004, 15:32
elfs :bleh:
I would have thought that the possesive, and elves the plural?

James Deuce
9th June 2004, 15:34

Possessive would be elf's.

You've stumbled into a long standing argument unfortunately :)

Hitcher
9th June 2004, 16:26

You are not alone in that belief, Senor Pero Grande... But then again, sometime when you're really, really, bored, read the prologue to LOTR (yawn).

Then bring yourself back to reality by reading anything written by Kurt Vonnegut or Catcher in the rye!

jrandom
9th June 2004, 16:48
Possessive would be elf's.

You've stumbled into a long standing argument unfortunately :)

No, you're all wrong. The plural should be elfi. <_<

TBH I've never been one of those individuals who can get enthusiastic about the syntactic differences between Sindarin and Quenya, so... meh.

By the way, I quite liked the films' imagery; I didn't grow up reading the books before the ubiquity of Howe and Lee's (particular Howe's) artwork. I thought that the production design was eerily reminiscent of my own ideas about How Middle Earth Should Look.

Ms Piggy
9th June 2004, 18:04
Actually my fav books would be 'Wuthering Heights' by Emily Bronte and 'Jane Ayre'. by Charlotte Bronte. I love the language it's really quite powerful - I could read those books again & again. :niceone:

One authour I've become quite dissapointed with is Bryce Courtney - his books have become really formulaic (is there such a word??). Tragic hero or heroine, some comic relief, another equally tragic side kick and a life full of tragedy but a spirit of triumph only to all end in trgedy! YAWN! :wacko:

Skyryder
9th June 2004, 18:39
Has anyone read The Outlaws of Liang Liang Marsh Chinese Classic .

Skyryder

RiderInBlack
9th June 2004, 20:09
Seems we've got a lot of Fantasy/sci-fi fans round here. I'm another.
... Terry Brooks,
.... I've just found out that my soon-to-be-10yo niece is currently reading the 3rd Harry Potter book (it had smaller type than the one I'm currently reading!!!) so I'll get her the 3rd in the Lion, Witch & Wardrobe series (which I also loved as a kid), plus see if I can get a nice hardcover copy of the 1st Harry Potter book too. :)Fu*K, forgot to add Terry Brooks - Tangle Box and others of the same series.
Really liked the Harry Potter books (bloody ex has the books but, so will have to rebuy them).

wari
9th June 2004, 20:20
NO ones mentioned The Golden books ... :eyepoke:

Motu
9th June 2004, 20:23
Or - One Fish Two fish red fish blue fish.

RiderInBlack
9th June 2004, 20:33
NO ones mentioned The Golden books ... :eyepoke:OK just for you Wari:
The Saggy Baggy Elephant
The Pokey Puppy
The Scrawny Lion

wari
9th June 2004, 20:39
Now we're talkin turkey .... how about Are You My Mother ? ... top readin that ... :yeah:

I finished it in A day no less .. no more :spudwave:

not such a fan of popup books ... reduces the imagination I find.

RiderInBlack
9th June 2004, 20:50
How about Comics?
Used to read heaps of Mavels - X-men, Wolverine, The New Mutants, Alpha Flight, The Increadible Hulk, The Thing, etc.
Wish I'd held on to them as a lot of them would be worth a mint now for a collector.

danb
9th June 2004, 21:10
"BOOK", what’s a "BOOK"
God haven’t read one well since 4th form before I had to get a Laptop For St Kentigern College where we had to do everything on that..

Please don’t laugh but the last book I probably read from cover to cover was "Hatchet the return" or whatever it was called :yes:

Forums/Internet replaces books!!!!!! :2thumbsup

wkid_one
9th June 2004, 21:15
How about Comics?
Used to read heaps of Mavels - X-men, Wolverine, The New Mutants, Alpha Flight, The Increadible Hulk, The Thing, etc.
Wish I'd held on to them as a lot of them would be worth a mint now for a collector.
You HAVE to go see The Punisher then....went and saw it tonite - it rocked!

RiderInBlack
10th June 2004, 06:52
You HAVE to go see The Punisher then....went and saw it tonite - it rocked!Seen it. He chased the baddies down the beach on a retro Trumpy with nobblies on:killingme

What?
10th June 2004, 07:37
NO ones mentioned The Golden books ... :eyepoke:
Or Dr Suess. Green Eggs and Ham must be a literary classic!

Slim
10th June 2004, 16:59
Or Dr Suess. Green Eggs and Ham must be a literary classic!
Dr Suess is cool, but my absolute favourite childrens book/s is Hairy MacLeary From Donaldson's Dairy, and others in the series. I think that's what started my nieces love of books - all the adults around them had so much fun reading these books to them, doing all the voices & sounds & the whole rhythm of them, that they couldn't not end up loving books. :)

riffer
10th June 2004, 19:24
I didn't grow up reading the books before the ubiquity of Howe and Lee's (particular Howe's) artwork.

I had the honour and pleasure of digitising all of the conceptual artwork that John Howe, Alan Lee and Jeremy Bennet produced for the movies, and got to work with them (especially Alan) along the way.

A wonderful bunch of chaps. Alan and John have gone home now (after seven years here!) but Jeremy (a kiwi) is now working on King Kong.

And yes, I would agree with you on the look and feel - just how I imagined it to. I mentioned that to Alan once - and apparently I was one of many who had said it.

I first read the Hobbit at 6. It was the first book I ever got out of Stokes Valley Library, followed quickly by Fellowship, Two Towers, and ROTK. Precocious reader, I guess.

Skyryder
28th June 2004, 01:35
I am trying to find the name and the author of a novel I read some time ago. It is about a Pope who sells the art of the Vatican and gets assasinated I think in Sicily.

Has anyone read a book with this theme?

Skyryder

toads
1st July 2004, 14:47
Home schooling 4 kids we have amased a fair collection - it's huge...uh,no...in the middle of shifting seeing how many books we have is scary,I have no idea where they will go,boxes and boxes andboxes and boxes..........[/QUOTE]

Hey Motu I homeschooled some of my kids too!!, and we have books everywhere also!, I'm reading april fools day by Bryce Courtney at present I like biographys and historical novels but will pretty much read anything including cereal packets and workshop manuals, I never, ever read instruction manuals however, unless I have to!. Bloody stupid really, I would save a whole lot of time if I read the "how to assemble it" thingy first!

Motu
1st July 2004, 22:40
Yeah,homeschoolers amass a lot of 'resourses' alright! I feel sorry for kids who have no interest in reading .All my kids have had an unstopable thirst for knowledge,books are ripped out of your hand at mind feeding time,they have a fish bin each to take to the library and often exceed their limit of books.Not sociable,but well read.

In front of me now - Jean M Aurel's 'The Shelters of Stone',the 5th volume of Alya and the Clan of the Cave Bear series.Being a fella I'm not keen on the personal relationship stuff but just love the setting - human pre history,she's put so much reshearch into this stuff.

Future histories are fun too - Sos the Rope,Var the Stick and Neq the Sword are a trilogy by Piers Anthony of the future world he wrote years ago,Rings Of Ice is a flood story he wrote too.Sterling Lanier wrote a book in 1973 called Heiro's Journey of a future world,I loved it and had to wait until 1983 for the sequel.

Given a choice between not being able to ride or not able to read - I think I would rather have the world to read...that's saying something eh?!!

Hitcher
2nd July 2004, 09:24
In front of me now - Jean M Aurel's 'The Shelters of Stone',the 5th volume of Alya and the Clan of the Cave Bear series.Being a fella I'm not keen on the personal relationship stuff but just love the setting - human pre history,she's put so much reshearch into this stuff.

Lots of research indeed but the Cave Bear series can be best summarised as "Sex and Aryanism". Alya's biggest claim to fame appears to be "inventing" the female orgasm...

Motu
2nd July 2004, 13:10
Oh dear,you didn't have to read one to find that out did you? Pity sex is required to sell books,as with everything - but the chicks like it.

Tolkein knew where the women belonged!

Skyryder
2nd July 2004, 13:38
Read all of the Clan of Cave Bear series. Apart from the Clan of the Cave Bear the best was the Mamoth Hunters. Shelters of Stone just did not feel right. I think the next book is the last in the series. Heard some rumours of the storyline but will keep Mum.

Still hoping someone can tell me the name of the book where the Pope sells the Vatican treasures. He wants to rid the world of poverty, but his actions cause such a furore that he is asassanted I think in Sicely by the Mafia.

Skyryder

Hitcher
2nd July 2004, 14:09
Still hoping someone can tell me the name of the book where the Pope sells the Vatican treasures. He wants to rid the world of poverty, but his actions cause such a furore that he is asassanted I think in Sicely by the Mafia.

We should have a competition...

1. The Godfather Part V
2. Fear and loathing in the Vatican
3. Hanging at Picnic Rock

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 14:32
We should have a competition...

1. The Godfather Part V
2. Fear and loathing in the Vatican
3. Hanging at Picnic Rock

4. Ave Venturus: Pope Detective

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 14:51
Anyway - this is the book thread, innit.

I don't think anyone's mentioned Neal Stephenson yet. I've enjoyed all his stuff - Zodiac and Snow Crash were fun little pieces, The Diamond Age showed a maturation in style and vision, and Cryptonomicon was marvellous.

I've recently finished The Confusion, which is Volume II (after 'Quicksilver') of his Baroque Cycle. Volume III, The System of the World, isn't released yet, but I'll be buying it from amazon.com on the release date.

All thoroughly recommendable, IMHO.

Oh yes. While we're on the topic, and before anyone starts in on Stephenson's formative influences, I rate Thomas Pynchon just below Joyce as a Famous Writer of books that pretentious wanky types own pristine copies of, but nobody reads for any reason other than masochism or lit. degrees.

As in (re. Gravity's Rainbow):

"... members of the 14-member board, which makes recommendations on the 18 Pulitzer Prize categories ... had described the Pynchon novel during their private debate as "unreadable," "turgid," "overwritten," and in parts "obscene." One member editor said he had tried hard but had only gotten a third of the way through the 760-page book."

And *they* were on the Pulitzer Prize committee.

vifferman
2nd July 2004, 14:55
Home schooling 4 kids we have amased a fair collection - it's huge...uh,no...in the middle of shifting seeing how many books we have is scary,I have no idea where they will go,boxes and boxes andboxes and boxes..........

Hey Motu I homeschooled some of my kids too!!, and we have books everywhere also!,
Man, there's some weirdos around here...
Two of our three boys were homeschooled as well.:eek:

vifferman
2nd July 2004, 14:57
4. Ave Venturus: Pope Detective:killingme
....or is that an actual book title...? Surely not?

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 14:59
:killingme
....or is that an actual book title...? Surely not?

No, that's gen-yew-eyne two-pint-lunch Friday afternoon J. Random Humour.

Glad to be of service...

vifferman
2nd July 2004, 15:00
Read all of the Clan of Cave Bear series. Apart from the Clan of the Cave Bear the best was the Mamoth Hunters. Shelters of Stone just did not feel right. Agreed. It sort of fizzled a bit; lacked any real central crisis or major event around which the story was built....

Must read another book sometime. Haven't read anything for AAAGES.
There's enuff of them around here - I should just pick one up and go for it. But there's sooooo much to do, so little time to do it....:crybaby:

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 15:04
Two of our three boys were homeschooled as well.:eek:

I homeschooled my way through high school, thanks to having weird-arse parents :baby:

Don't think it did me any harm though.

vifferman
2nd July 2004, 15:18
I homeschooled my way through high school, thanks to having weird-arse parents :baby:

Don't think it did me any harm though.Damn those weird-arse parents.:crazy:
Err... my eldest (home-schooled) son is a BIG Discworld fan. Got Terry Pratchett's signature too.
Doesn't like bikes though - he vibrates all over if I give him a lift.

Weirdo.

jrandom
2nd July 2004, 16:09
Doesn't like bikes though - he vibrates all over if I give him a lift.

Weirdo.

I dunno. Yoof of today.

:no:

moko
8th August 2004, 11:37
Just read "Lovely Green Eyes" by Arnold Lustig,pretty harrowing stuff about a girl in Auschwitz who denies that she`s Jewish(knowing she`d be gassed if she hadn`t) and volunteers(if that`s the right word)to be a prostitute in a German field-Brothel.Might sound like sleazy exploitative shit but it`s far from it.Shows the true barbarity and madness of war and in particular the psychopathic nature of the Nazis.Really good bit about the main character telling a Rabbi of her experiences,she`s accepted what she went through,saw and heard while he`s driven to the point of madness by what she tells him and seriously questions his God.It`s written by a survivor of Auschwitz and his descriptions of what went on are all the more powerful for not being sensationalist,just "this is what happened",and what happened was truly horrific and made me at least wonder how people can sink to the depths they do.Scary resonance with recent events in Iraq as well,nowhere near the same scale but the same contempt for other human beings who are seen as somehow inferior,the bringing out of the baser side of human nature.

Indiana_Jones
8th August 2004, 12:04
I finished reading "All quiet on the western front" not too long ago, good read :niceone:

wkid_one
8th August 2004, 13:39
Stephen Leather 'Hard Landing' and Lee Child 'The Enemy'. Both out on new release - both fantastically on par with the previous novels - excellent read

Hitcher
8th August 2004, 15:43
Reading "Travelling with Che Guevara -- the making of a revolutionary". This is Alberto Granado's diary account of a road trip involving himself, Che and a Norton called "Ponderosa II" around South America in 1952. This diary was combined with Che's account of the same trip to make the screenplay for the movie "The motorcycle diaries". Highly recommended!

Ghost Lemur
8th August 2004, 15:52
Reading "Travelling with Che Guevara -- the making of a revolutionary". This is Alberto Granado's diary account of a road trip involving himself, Che and a Norton called "Ponderosa II" around South America in 1952. This diary was combined with Che's account of the same trip to make the screenplay for the movie "The motorcycle diaries". Highly recommended!

Very good book. I'll reserve judgement on the movie til after I've seen it. Just hope they haven't gone hollywood on it (probably too much to expect I know).

Hitcher
8th August 2004, 16:24
Very good book. I'll reserve judgement on the movie til after I've seen it. Just hope they haven't gone hollywood on it (probably too much to expect I know).
This movie was on at the recent film festival and reviewed very well. It's an "independent" production, so isn't oozing Brad Pitt and Monet Mazur...

toads
8th August 2004, 17:52

Don't think it did me any harm though.

Yeah baby yeah, we are wierd -arse parents, gr8 huh!! H/schooling is an excellent way to learn, my kids all got an excellent start with home schooling,
just really hard work for parents.

dhunt
8th August 2004, 22:42
Yeah baby yeah, we are wierd -arse parents, gr8 huh!! H/schooling is an excellent way to learn, my kids all got an excellent start with home schooling,
just really hard work for parents.
I'll have to agree it's the way to go. Having been to school for a total of 1 year in my life. I got to learn stuff I wanted to, as well as the stuff that I sought of had to. Having learnt other stuff has enabled me to get some good jobs that I wouldn't have been able to get had I been in school.

David

LB
9th August 2004, 06:10
I've just finished Stuart Barker's Barry Sheene biography - a great book, very easy to read and brought back some great memories. Thanks for the loan Matthewt. Thoroughly recommended. :niceone:

What?
9th August 2004, 07:05
I've just finished Stuart Barker's Barry Sheene biography - a great book, very easy to read and brought back some great memories. Thanks for the loan Matthewt. Thoroughly recommended. :niceone:
I've got about two dozen books on the shelf waiting to be read. That one is ranked at about No 13. Maybe it will get a promotion...

9th August 2004, 08:55

They most certainly havent gone hollywood on it... Its one of those docos that have really good characters..... The storyline is a bit rambling, like the books apparently, and I suffered from being constantly surprised when hollywood moments didn't happen - kinda took away from the film a little, as the background music / heroic moment I was expecting just didn't eventuate...
Not that thats a bad thing....

Hooks
9th August 2004, 09:19
I am trying to find the name and the author of a novel I read some time ago. It is about a Pope who sells the art of the Vatican and gets assasinated I think in Sicily.

Has anyone read a book with this theme?

Skyryder

It's called The Road to Gandolfo ... I can't remember the psuedonem but it's a Robert Ludlum book ... really funny and the intro is worth a read as well. He had to wait to become famous before he dared to release it !!

moko
9th August 2004, 09:20
Anyone who`s a fan of good crime fiction should check out Ian Rankin and also Mark Billingham,both consistently excellent,Rankin started out fairly run of the mill but has improved with each book.I`m currently reading Billingham`s new one "The Burning Girl"started this afternoon,quick check on here for an e-mail I`m expecting and to stick my nose in here and I`ll finish it in an hours time.As wkid-one says Stephen Leather is an excellent writer as well,"The Chinaman" is my favourite so far though I`ve not read "Hard Landing".

KATWYN
9th August 2004, 10:21
Just read "Lovely Green Eyes" by Arnold Lustig,pretty harrowing stuff about a girl in Auschwitz who denies that she`s Jewish(knowing she`d be gassed if she hadn`t) and volunteers(if that`s the right word)to be a prostitute in a German field-Brothel.Might sound like sleazy exploitative shit but it`s far from it.Shows the true barbarity and madness of war and in particular the psychopathic nature of the Nazis.Really good bit about the main character telling a Rabbi of her experiences,she`s accepted what she went through,saw and heard while he`s driven to the point of madness by what she tells him and seriously questions his God.It`s written by a survivor of Auschwitz and his descriptions of what went on are all the more powerful for not being sensationalist,just "this is what happened",and what happened was truly horrific and made me at least wonder how people can sink to the depths they do.Scary resonance with recent events in Iraq as well,nowhere near the same scale but the same contempt for other human beings who are seen as somehow inferior,the bringing out of the baser side of human nature.

That book sounds interesting. Is it non fiction ? or is it fiction based on the author drawing on actual past experiences and putting it in a story?

moko
9th August 2004, 11:14
That book sounds interesting. Is it non fiction ? or is it fiction based on the author drawing on actual past experiences and putting it in a story?

It`s fiction KATWYN but the author was in Auschwitz and a couple of other concentration camps himself,hard to explain but I`ve read a few "survivor`s" true stories but this seemed to hit home more,I think because it`s so understated.I got the author`s name wrong by the way,it`s Arnost Lustig,not Arnold.
Review here that dosnt give much of the story away

http://www.arcadepub.com/book/index.cfm/GCOI/55970100312930

MikeL
9th August 2004, 11:24
I got to learn stuff I wanted to, as well as the stuff that I sought of had to.
David
... but spelling obviously wasn't part of it. :bleh:

Sorry, the pedant in me couldn't resist... :Pokey:

Dr Bob
9th August 2004, 11:35
Just finished "Stranger In A Strange Land" Robert A. Heinlein. An Oldie but a goodie. Would freak out a few people in the Reg. Rav. Thread if I started to quote it!
......Julian May - The Saga Of The Exlies (The Many-Coloured Land, etc).
Douglas Adams - THHGTTG Series
Most of The Star Trek Next Gen Series (books). Thats why one of my cats is called Kahless:Oops:
John Wyndham - The Day Of The Triffids, The Chrysalids
Frank Herbert - too many to list but most favourite ones are The Green Brain, The Whipping Star and Destination Void (another one that would fu*k a few in the Reg Rav Thread)
[/color][/font]

I grok your first thing.

If you liked the Saga of the exiles, Julian May has written another series about the galactic melieu, I've got one of them at home (or was it one book and the series is about something else? can't remember now).

I got half way reading this thread and nobody has mentioned Philip K. Dick, he is/was my favourite Scifi writer.

And to MikeL, I have already written one book - but it was non fiction, now I have to work on the fiction {I have a screen play in progress at the moment, but it is a killer trying to do it}.

Dr Bob
9th August 2004, 11:39
OK just for you Wari:
The Saggy Baggy Elephant
The Pokey Puppy
The Scrawny Lion
I thought it was the Pokey little puppy, and of course the sequel, the pokey little puppy goes to sesame street.

Kickaha
9th August 2004, 11:52
I got half way reading this thread and nobody has mentioned Philip K. Dick, he is/was my favourite Scifi writer.

I've read Philp K Dick "Do androids dream of electric sheep" and liked it,which was filmed as Bladerunner.

Just been of to the library and got out
Jack Higgins : A Season in Hell
Raymond E Feist : Krondor The Assasins
Douglas Adams : Resturant at the end of the Universe (read it many times)
Claudia Orange : An Illustrated history of the Treaty of Waitangi
David Wragg :Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (military blunders)

after years of avoiding it I am now turning to a bit of non fiction,mainly to learn a bit more about NZ history.

jrandom
9th August 2004, 11:59

Never could get enthusiastic about REF. His writing style always seemed a bit strained and hack-like, and the mindless, unspirited ripping-off of Tolkien was depressing.

jrandom
9th August 2004, 12:03
I've read Philp K Dick "Do androids dream of electric sheep" and liked it,which was filmed as Bladerunner.

Indeed. Read PKD or Harlan Ellison when you need a bit of brain-bending but don't happen to have any LSD on hand. I always need a walk in the sunshine followed by a stiff glass of reality and soda after a session with either of those two.

Dr Bob
9th August 2004, 15:37
If you want any old SciFi drop me a PM I have quite a few that I don't mind parting with (or exchange for that matter).

duckman
9th August 2004, 15:43
Just started "The De Vinci Code" (sp) - 4 Chapters in and I'm hooked.

bungbung
9th August 2004, 16:01
I spent some of my time on planes and at airports reading "'The O-zone" by Paul Theroux. Google for reviews. I rate it worth reading.

rodgerd
9th August 2004, 16:08
"The Separation" by Christopher Priest is a very well-written alternative history with twist, based around Hess's "peace flight" to Britain. Well researched, very well written. Priest is an under-rated sci fi author.

"Coelacanth" by Samantha Weinberg. Story of the rediscovery of the fish in the 20th century, and the ongoing efforts to study and protect it. Some great photos, very well written, really cracking read.

RiderInBlack
9th August 2004, 18:03
If you want any old SciFi drop me a PM I have quite a few that I don't mind parting with (or exchange for that matter).Name them (please) as I am trying to rebuild mine and am missing a few book in different series.:niceone:

James Deuce
9th August 2004, 18:15
Indeed. Read PKD or Harlan Ellison when you need a bit of brain-bending but don't happen to have any LSD on hand. I always need a walk in the sunshine followed by a stiff glass of reality and soda after a session with either of those two.

Algis Budrys is good at provoking an hallucenogenic response.

9th August 2004, 18:26
Just been of to the library and got out
Jack Higgins : A Season in Hell
Douglas Adams : Resturant at the end of the Universe (read it many times)
Claudia Orange : An Illustrated history of the Treaty of Waitangi
David Wragg :Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory (military blunders)

Claudia Orange is certainly quite readable :)

Kickaha
9th August 2004, 20:01
Claudia Orange is certainly quite readable :)

Well I'm really reading it just so I can have more informed debate with a certain student who inhabits this forum.

MikeL
9th August 2004, 20:53
And to MikeL, I have already written one book - but it was non fiction, now I have to work on the fiction {I have a screen play in progress at the moment, but it is a killer trying to do it}.

Trying to write while earning a living elsewhere (not to mention fitting in the very occasional bike ride) will always be a challenge.
To do the research properly for my next book (historical novel) would take months of full-time reading. At the rate I'm going I should get there sometime before my seventieth birthday. Whereupon with the Alzheimer's I will no doubt have lost the plot in more ways than one. To think that all those acute observations of society, politics and religion, and the wry musings on the tragi-comedy of life, as well as the heart-felt empathy with the pathos of the human condition - the noble Virgilian theme of the lacrimae rerum, the "tears of things" - that such a literary treasure may never see the light of day because of the sheer grind of tedious labour necessary to earn a crust and keep the wolf from the day (please note that my fictional writings are by no means as cliche-ridden as this!) is a prospect that can scarcely be contemplated with equanimity...
Offers of sponsorship or patronage, or information about lucrative sinecures, can be communicated by private message...

jrandom
9th August 2004, 21:06
To think that ... such a literary treasure may never see the light of day because of the sheer grind of tedious crust necessary to earn a labour and keep the wolf from the writings (please note that my cliche-ridden days are by no means as fictional as this!) is a prospect that can privately be patronised with contemplation...
Offers of sponsorship or equanimity, or information about lucrative messages, can scarcely be communicated by sinecures.

At this point, I'd just like to register a sincere recommendation for Mac's Copperhop Ale.

As you were...

MikeL
9th August 2004, 21:39
At this point, I'd just like to register a sincere recommendation for Mac's Copperhop Ale.

A man of taste and discernment, I see.

I only recently discovered Copperhop and I suspect it will rapidly supplant my previous favourites...

LB
10th August 2004, 05:40
Well I'm really reading it just so I can have more informed debate with a certain student who inhabits this forum.

Now let me think.....I wonder who that could be? :sly:

moko
10th August 2004, 06:02
Just started "The De Vinci Code" (sp) - 4 Chapters in and I'm hooked.

I enjoyed that but kept thinking back to the old "Broken Sword" pc game,if you enjoy that you`ll also enjoy "The Templer Revelation",one of several books it uses ideas from.

Dr Bob
10th August 2004, 09:34
Name them (please) as I am trying to rebuild mine and am missing a few book in different series.:niceone:
You have got to be kidding, this is just not possible. Rather an ecclectic collection, probably something that you would like.

jrandom
10th August 2004, 09:54
You have got to be kidding, this is just not possible. Rather an ecclectic collection, probably something that you would like.

Ooooh! Ooooh! Um... what would it take to bribe you for a wee pop-round-the-corner and book borrowing session? I'm *right* out of reading material at the moment. Sniff.

I'll PM you.

Skyryder
22nd August 2004, 20:52
Can some one tell me the nest book in line from the magician byb Raymond Fiest. Read the Mag. sometime ago and neet to read next book.

Incedently anyone read the "Marshes of Mount Liang" by Shi Nai'an and Luo Guanzhong (The Marshes of Mount Liang)

Skyryder

Slim
22nd August 2004, 23:45
Raymond E. Feist wrote The Magician, Silverthorn & Darkness at Sethanon in the Riftwar Series. I think he then wrote the Empire Trilogy with Janny Wurts which is the other end of the War going on in the Magician novel. There's Daughter, Servant & Mistress of the Empire in that series. Finally, there's Prince of the Blood and The King's Buccaneer to complete the story.

MrMelon
23rd August 2004, 12:32
I used to read any book I could get my hands on, but then the internet came along, and online gaming took over for 8 years or so...

But I've just finished reading my first book in ages.. It's The Life of Pi. It's a pretty cool story, and reading some interesting books is definately better than sitting on the computer doing nothing productive. So I'm going to make an effort to read some more cool books now.

boris
23rd August 2004, 19:09
bill the calactic hero, Harry harrison.

Preacher (graphic novels) by Garth Ennis.I think there are nine books in total.Lots of blood and gore.I think they are funny, my mate thinks they are sick.

NordieBoy
29th August 2004, 10:09
Most of my library is online (http://fran.nelson.geek.nz/books.rvt) - (MySQL back end with the Apache Rivet module decoding the TCL pages)

Harry Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat series...

Go Slippery Jim :rockon:

jrandom
24th September 2004, 09:29
I just finished reading The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie (yes, as in Bertie Wooster).

Great book. Very British in its narratory diversions to, for example, explain that when a female character engaged in the hackneyed action of "turning a pair of grey eyes in his direction" they were, of course, her own eyes, since there weren't exactly boxes of spare eyes on the table, ready for picking up and turning in people's directions, you know.

Also, the protagonist rides a ZZR1100, and no inaccurate statements regarding firearms were made throughout the book, with the exception of the inclusion of a magical telescopic sight that could be disguised as an SLR lens, carried in one's pocket, affixed to a stockless rifle and used for a single-shot assassination without any intermediate boresighting or zeroing whatsoever.

In any case, well recommended.

Blakamin
24th September 2004, 09:37
I just finished reading The Gun Seller, by Hugh Laurie (yes, as in Bertie Wooster).

Great book. Very British in its narratory diversions to, for example, explain that when a female character engaged in the hackneyed action of "turning a pair of grey eyes in his direction" they were, of course, her own eyes, since there weren't exactly boxes of spare eyes on the table, ready for picking up and turning in people's directions, you know.

Also, the protagonist rides a ZZR1100, and no inaccurate statements regarding firearms were made throughout the book, with the exception of the inclusion of a magical telescopic sight that could be disguised as an SLR lens, carried in one's pocket, affixed to a stockless rifle and used for a single-shot assassination without any intermediate boresighting or zeroing whatsoever.

In any case, well recommended.

Definately a good read! I got it out of the library a couple of months ago :2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
16th November 2004, 07:17
Just thought I'd revive this thread b/c I've just about finished reading a really good book.

It's by Celia Lashlie, she was the 1st woman prison officer in N.Z and caused a huge stir back in 2001 when she made a comment a little blonde haired, blue eyed boy who she knew would end up in prison.

Her book is called The jouney to Prison, who goes and why.

The reason I liked it was b/c it was practical and real, this woman is not some flowery bleeding heart liberal, she has written to book from her own experiences of the prison system and observations she has made. She also challenges us as a community that we're responsible as well.

It's an easy read as well.

Jase W
16th November 2004, 13:10
I'm currently reading the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis... Bloody brilliant series. They are a series of mystery novels set in Vespasian's rome (beginning after the Judean wars A.D 70). Theres about 16 books in the series so far, starting with "The Silver Pigs". If you ever come across any of these books at a library, I suggest you pick one up... a good thing about this series is that you can pretty much pick up any of them and not feel like you have no idea whats going on. I started with "Time to Depart" which is about the 7th book in the series... got me hooked :D

I'm also a scifi/fantasy buff, but I havent really read many books in those genre... only the likes of The Hobbit/LotR/Silmarillion, The time machine etc...

RiderInBlack
27th November 2004, 16:55
Not my normal type of read, but really enjoy this one. Picked it up from a 2nd hand bookshop for $39:2thumbsup It covers the histroy of motorbikes from the first steam powered bike in 1868 through to the modern bikes of 2004. I've only got as far as 1914 so far but it has been very interesting. After reading about what these old boys (and girls) rode, I think they would think our modern bike were for pussies. The book is full of info like:
Board Racing around 1911-13 done on Excelsiors, Flying Merkels, Indians and HD's reaching speeds over 161KMP (100MPH) on wooden velodromes. Many of these bikes had no brakes, no silencing, no throttle (ran flat-out and only slowed by a kill switch). The rider themselves didn't ride with much in the way of protective gear (f*ck they had huge balls back then).
Glenn Curtiss on his 4.4L Curtiss V8 shaft-dive MBike became the fastest man on earth in 1907 after riding his machine at 219.4KPH (136.36MPH) on sand (not bad if you look at what he was riding on).

Indiana_Jones
27th November 2004, 18:12
"Enemy at the gates" - though I read it a while ago, it's a great read, Stalingrad is my favourite battle (in hindsight). 1st hand accounts from both sides and the civs in the middle, Right from the start to the end. Great read. :niceone:

-Indy

Skyryder
27th November 2004, 18:51
Just finishing Magician for the second time. Needed to read this again as I am going to start Silverthorn and the rest in the Riftwar series.

Anyone read the Hounds of God by Rafael Sabatini??

Skyryder

Skyryder
27th November 2004, 19:09
"Enemy at the gates" - though I read it a while ago, it's a great read, Stalingrad is my favourite battle (in hindsight). 1st hand accounts from both sides and the civs in the middle, Right from the start to the end. Great read. :niceone:

-Indy

There's a piece on the Battle of Stalingrad on the History channel at paresent. Will make a point of reading this.

You might be interested in Peking by Athony Grey. Saigon by the same author worth a look if you are interested in historical novels of recent history. Topaz in much the same vein deals with the Cuban missile crisis. Could give heaps of others. The Word can't remember who wrote it deals with the Bible publication industry. Facsinating book even if only a novel.

Skyryder

Skyryder
27th November 2004, 19:12
I'm currently reading the Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis... Bloody brilliant series. They are a series of mystery novels set in Vespasian's rome (beginning after the Judean wars A.D 70). Theres about 16 books in the series so far, starting with "The Silver Pigs". If you ever come across any of these books at a library, I suggest you pick one up... a good thing about this series is that you can pretty much pick up any of them and not feel like you have no idea whats going on. I started with "Time to Depart" which is about the 7th book in the series... got me hooked :D

I'm also a scifi/fantasy buff, but I havent really read many books in those genre... only the likes of The Hobbit/LotR/Silmarillion, The time machine etc...

Try Magician by Ramond E. Feist. So you are a Tolkein fan. Interesting. So am I.

Can't say I am a great Fantasy reader but some I do enjoy. Tend to get into historica novels like Pillars of the Earth. Big book.

Skyryder

zadok
19th June 2005, 11:48
I was going to start a link like this one, until I found this one!
I love reading and thought that this thread could be revived to get some updated reviews.

By fluke I just read my first Richard Laymon book entitled 'Alarums' and thoroughly enjoyed it. Judging by some of his titles, I don't think I'll like all his books.

Other Authors I avidly read are:
Nelson De Mille
Lee Child
Michael Connelly
Harlan Coben
James Patterson

In particular I am looking for recommendations on the thriller genre.

moko
19th June 2005, 12:19
Stephen Leather`s books are good though I prefer the earlier books before he became well-known."The Chinaman" is my favourite.Mark Billingham writes good crime thrillers,if you like James Patterson you`ll probably enjoy him as well,best to read in order though as they`re loosely a series.Ian Rankin`s "Inspector Rebus" novels are massively popular here,again best read in order,early ones are good crime yarns but you can see the guy`s writing talent building as the series progresses,good central character with plenty of flaws.
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks is a pretty awesome piece of writing whatever you`re into.
Everyone here`s raving about "Cloud Atlas" by David Mitchell,havn`t read it yet but apparently it`s a series of seemingly diverse short stories that all tie together,getting rave reviews that one.Current biggie,and tipped for cult status is "The People`s Act Of love" by James Meek based on real events just after the second world war,or rather unusual situations that actually existed.

zadok
19th June 2005, 13:02
Thanksmoko. I' ll keep an eye out for those newies. I'm wih you on the Stephen Leather. The first I read of his was 'The chinaman' as well.
Forgot one as well: Jeffrey Deaver. Coffin Dancer, The Devils Teardrop & Speaking In Tongues, notable reads.

Jase W
19th June 2005, 13:13
Lately i've been reading some very old histories (2000+ years old) for my classics papers, but also just out of interest. Herodotus, Thucydides, Xenophon, Plutarch, Tacitus, Polybius, Suetonius... Good stuff really.

Indiana_Jones
19th June 2005, 13:43
Funny this should be dug up. I just brought myself a copy of "Sharpe's Eagle" :Punk:

-Indy

Skyryder
19th June 2005, 15:45
Finished the Da Code, Angels and Demons and Deception Point. All by Dan Brown. Dan Brown fans will like Angels and Demon. It deals with the Illuminati and is in a simular vein as the Code. Deception Point is equally as good as the Code and Angel. Just a different subject. Will make a start on Digital Fortress soon.

Into the third of the Merlin trilogy by Mary Stewart. The first of this series is the Crystal Cave, then followed by the Hollow Hills and the final is the Last Enchantment. You've got to be an Athurian buff for these novels as Mary Stewart prose is very descriptive and the story line is slow. Still she captures the spirit of Dark Age Britton.

Rosmary Suttcliff's Sword at Sunset is faster paced and deals with Arthur from his boyhood till death. Much the same genre as Mary Stewart.

Skyryder

Skyryder
19th June 2005, 15:53
It's called The Road to Gandolfo ... I can't remember the psuedonem but it's a Robert Ludlum book ... really funny and the intro is worth a read as well. He had to wait to become famous before he dared to release it !!

Just checked the title with Amazon etc. Not the right book. The one I'm thinking of there is no kidnapping involved. But thanks anyway.

Skyryder

zadok
20th June 2005, 11:10
What! Only five of us been reading lately?

bungbung
20th June 2005, 11:53
The title sounds dodgy, but it's not. I am about 2/3 in and liking what I am reading.
I'd write more about it, but the good people at amazon have made the effort so that I don't have to:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1860461670/qid=1119224944/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-4846245-4952813?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

zadok
20th June 2005, 11:59
The title sounds dodgy, but it's not. I am about 2/3 in and liking what I am reading.
I'd write more about it, but the good people at amazon have made the effort so that I don't have to:
Thought it sounded familiar. Was made into a movie: Smilla's Sense Of Snow.

Biff
20th June 2005, 16:24
Various over the last three months, including books by Stephen Hawkins, Bill Bryson, Freddie Forsyth, Dan Brown, Fred Adams, John Grisham.

Love astro-physics, psychological thrillers, sc-fi and such like.

Kickaha - time for a book swap meeting me thinks.
What is it with the bloody price of new books here in NZ??!!

Kickaha
20th June 2005, 17:27
In the last week I've read

New Zealanders at War,Michael King a history of wars that New Zealand has fought both on and off shore,from the New Zealand Wars to Vietnam

The Dark Tower, Stephen King the last in the Dark Tower series and I thought the ending sucked big time

Dragons Kin, Anne McCaffrey set on Pern like the Dragon Rider novels but a seperate story not really relating to the others

The Bourne Legacy, Eric Van lustbader a continution of the Robert Ludlum Jason Bourne Novels

Carpe Jugulum, Terry Pratchett, which must be one of the few Discworld books I'd missed out on with Witches vs Vampires in the Kingdom of Lancre

The Girls in the Gang, Glennis Dennehy and Greg Newbold, whith real world experiences of the partners of NZ gang members and the effect it had on them and their families

James Deuce
20th June 2005, 17:45
Various over the last three months, including books by Stephen Hawkins, Bill Bryson, Freddie Forsyth, Dan Brown, Fred Adams, John Grisham.

Love astro-physics, psychological thrillers, sc-fi and such like.

Kickaha - time for a book swap meeting me thinks.
What is it with the bloody price of new books here in NZ??!!

Small market. Very long supply lines. When I worked in publishing ('85-'87) Hardbacks made a landed profit of 1 or 2 cents for the publisher, paperbacks something like 20-50c profit.

RiderInBlack
29th September 2007, 18:09
Just Finished ready "Power Of One". Forget the Movie, the book is so much better (funny that<_<). Not my normal reading, but just couldn't put it down.

Looking forward to reading the next one, "Tandia".

Blue Babe got me into his books. She's read those two and is reading "Jessica" now.

Swoop
29th September 2007, 19:32
Have just finished Chinook! by David McMullon.
Interesting stuff on the Lockerbie bombing.

Blue Babe
29th September 2007, 20:06
Just Finished ready "Power Of One". Forget the Movie, the book is so much better (funny that<_<). Not my normal reading, but just couldn't put it down.

Blue Babe got me into his books. She's read those two and is reading "Jessica" now.
Jessica is written in a slightly different style & I've struggled getting into it, but am now really enjoying it. Scorpio said she is also reading the very latest of the line & say's it is different again, so I will have to have a look. (Can't remember the name of it off hand :wacko: Will have to ask her)

Street Gerbil
29th September 2007, 20:26
Zelazny
Neil Gaiman
Goodkind
O.S. Card
Lem
Andrzej Sapkowski (the Hexer series. No official translation to English yet, but rogue translations are available online).

Skyryder
29th September 2007, 22:09
WOLF OF THE PLAINS. Conn Iggulden. Ist of series about Temujiin (Gengis Khan) For those that like history.

I've just started reading Salmon Fishing in the Yeman. Where's TWR.

Skyryder

Skyryder
29th September 2007, 22:11

Tried but could not get into it. Wifes a big fan of this writer.

Skyryder

MyGSXF
29th September 2007, 22:34
Just Finished ready "Power Of One". Looking forward to reading the next one, "Tandia"

lols.. I've not long finished 'Tandia' & am starting on 'The Power of One'.. :banana: backwards I know.. :wacko: but I've already read them both years ago.. & that was the order I managed to score them real cheap in!! :2thumbsup both GREAT reads!! :Punk:

Jen :rockon:

Laava
29th September 2007, 22:48
I read a story by Bryce Courtney called April Fools Day. It was the tragic story of his haemophiliac son. Very sad.:crybaby:

Winston001
29th September 2007, 23:38
I read a story by Bryce Courtney called April Fools Day. It was the tragic story of his haemophiliac son. Very sad.:crybaby:

Agreed and a good book - true story.

I wander between thrillers, astrophysics, sci-fi, and non-fiction. Always looking for new authors so I'll go through this thread and make some notes.

Recently read "My Sister's Keeper" by Jodi Picoult which was excellent.

"The Analyst" by John Katzenbach is a good psyc thriller.

Any suggestions on thriller writers? I tend to follow a writer until they eventually lose their edge. Michael Connolly is one of the few who hasn't. Tom Clancy was good up to Rainbow Six then lost it. Patricia Cornwell was supreme until the 12th Precinct. James Patterson's early books are excellent but he soon started writing quick easy money books - shame.

dhunt
30th September 2007, 11:55
Lately I've been reading a lot of Robert Ludlum's books. Author of the Bourne Trilogy. Books are definitely much better than the movies. Most are mixture of sci-fi,action and thriller. All pretty good reading :rockon:

Blue Babe
30th September 2007, 15:45
Books are usually better than the movie. :rolleyes: :2thumbsup........ You can use your own imagination,:wari: which is much better than the producers imagination in movies.....

Swoop
30th September 2007, 15:54
Books are definitely much better than the movies.
As the saying goes... "Never judge a book by its movie".

Magua
30th September 2007, 15:57
I've been taking an English course at university this semester. I'm rather behind on my readings, but the last book I read I thoroughly enjoyed. Leo Tolstoy's Hadji Murat.

I just submitted an essay on the book a few days ago, so soon I will see how well I understood it, heh.

Hitcher
30th September 2007, 18:43
I've just read three science fiction books back-to-back -- the first sci fi I've read in about 15 years: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan; and Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi. I preferred the latter two. Altered Carbon, while having a strong plot, took a bit of keeping up with -- more characters than Dickens. Scalzi crafts a compelling read, but his plots are a bit ho hum -- no twists or surprises. The good guys win.

Now I'm touring North America with the Silk Riders.

bell
30th September 2007, 19:07
I've just re-read a few old Ludlum novels. All pre-Bourne trilogy. Might start on the Bourne Identity again. Will be hard not to compare the book to the films.

Can recommend:
Tim Flannery's The Furure Eaters and The Weather Makers
Tim Winton - Cloudstreet, Dirt Music
Nick Earls - Headgames, World of Chickens, Perfect Skin (actually, all of his are great reads. Brisbane based GP turned novellist)
Mark Bowden - Guests of the Ayatollah (definitive account of the Iranian hostage crisis)

Too many books, not enough hours in the day...

Swoop
30th September 2007, 19:20
Mark Bowden - Guests of the Ayatollah (definitive account of the Iranian hostage crisis)
What did you think of this? I spotted it in Whitcoulls the other day. His book on BHD was excellent and well researched and I guess GotA is the same - but is it too dry (fairly large book!).

Disco Dan
30th September 2007, 19:26
Books are usually better than the movie. :rolleyes: :2thumbsup........ You can use your own imagination,:wari: which is much better than the producers imagination in movies.....

True. But my imagination does not like me. I start wondering if its really like that or I have got it wrong, start second guessing, re-reading, then I forget what the smeg it was all about in the first place and have to read the last chapter all over again.

Nasty
30th September 2007, 19:50
I have just finished booked by Janet Evanovich finished the Stephanie Plum series and am now reading the motormouth/barnaby series .. very funny ...

Also, have completed the Other Worldly Woman Series (sci-fi type) by Kelly Armstrong ... excellent reading for both authors.

bell
30th September 2007, 21:03
What did you think of this? I spotted it in Whitcoulls the other day. His book on BHD was excellent and well researched and I guess GotA is the same - but is it too dry (fairly large book!).

[strokes chin] Ummm... Yeah, I'd say it was a touch long. Only at the expense of being superbly researched. It really does get rather heavily into the prehistory of the actual event - and that is the subject of books in their own right.

The detail that he goes into is definitely a feature of the book. Everything from the way an embassy functions, the state of Iranian politics/fundamentalism at the time, the Special Ops planning, the 'rescue' mission, the geo-politics post 1979 and then a whole chapter or two of analysis that brings the relevance of the event back to the present day realities of the Middle East.

The more I think of it, the more I should re-read it one day soon. Yeah, it's worth the effort Swoop. Might see one on trademe?

$8 . Can't go wrong.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfiction/War-military/Other/auction-120343957.htm

Swoop
30th September 2007, 21:16
[strokes chin] Ummm... Yeah, I'd say it was a touch long. Only at the expense of being superbly researched.
The more I think of it, the more I should re-read it one day soon. Yeah, it's worth the effort Swoop. Might see one on trademe?
Ta for that. I once started, what I thought would be, an excellent book on the early combatants in the Vietnam war... written by a battallion commander (Airmobile).
What a BORING book! More numbers and statistics than an accounting convention.:thud:
This one gave me the same impression, but I will take your review into serious consideration!!
:niceone:

Curious_AJ
1st October 2007, 17:42
Books for the win!!

recently, I've been read some of the classics including : Alice in wonderland and through the looking glass (in a joint book, made for teaching etc, so it has a whole lot of stuff about the author and what different things in the book relate to etc)

Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde and the Weir of Hermiston (from the same series of teaching books as Alice in wonderland) ,, This one was particularely interesting, because The Weir of Hermiston was never finished, the guy died in the middle of writing it!

I'm not sure what I'm going to read after I finish the latest Harry Potter book which I started a few weeks ago (yes I know, its Harry, but I find them entertaining)...

Any Ideas for an avid Stephen King, Anne Rice, Phillip Pullman fan?? (interested in any types of books really, though fiction/fantasy/horror/thriller/mystery are amoung my favorite genres)

Skyryder
1st October 2007, 17:56
War of the Worlds. For those that are going to see Jeff Waynes version. Grab a read of the original first.

Skyryder

Kickaha
1st October 2007, 18:11
I've just finished the The old Kingdom series by Garth Nix which was a interesting mix of magic/necromancy with the occasion touch of more modern technolgy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garth_Nix

banditrider
1st October 2007, 18:44
I'm starting to prefer non-fiction books and the latest one I read was "Miracle in the Andes" by Nando Parrado. Awesome read about the rugby team who's plane crashed in the Andes. Written by a survivor (1 of the 2 that walked out). Just amazing.

Also have read quite a few on Scott. Awesome stories about amazing guy's. "Captain Scott" by Ranuloh Fiennes is great as Fiennes has been there and done that. "Worst journey in the World" by Apsley Cherry-Garrand is also excellant and even Scott's own diary is worth a read if interested.

Not many bikes involved but great adventure stories...

pete376403
1st October 2007, 20:57
"Chickenhawk" - Robert Mason. Experiences of a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. Bought it about 20 years ago and have re-read it many times. Amazing true story.

peasea
1st October 2007, 22:25
Not so long ago I read 'Under and Alone' by William Queen. It's about an undercover cop who gets into (and rises through the ranks of) a real nasty biker gang in the US, the Mongols. It cost him dearly in his personal life and I had to wonder what motivated him but it was a good read and very insightful.

I've had a bit to do with M/C's in NZ but there's no way I'd even go close to what this guy did.

Google it.

peasea
1st October 2007, 22:29
I've just read three science fiction books back-to-back -- the first sci fi I've read in about 15 years: Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan; and Old Man's War and The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi. I preferred the latter two. Altered Carbon, while having a strong plot, took a bit of keeping up with -- more characters than Dickens. Scalzi crafts a compelling read, but his plots are a bit ho hum -- no twists or surprises. The good guys win.

Now I'm touring North America with the Silk Riders.

I've never understood why people read (or write) science fiction. What is it with that shit? There's no point to it, it's all such bollocks. I know people like to escape and all that but can't you do it on your bike? Sci Fi is a waste of paper/time IMHO, what's the attraction?

Kwaka14
1st October 2007, 22:31
Just finished Rapture by David Sosnowski, was a great read about 'Angelism' as a genetic mutation, loads of fun...

cowpoos
1st October 2007, 22:41
just finnished reading hairy McClarey...good book..highly recommend it!!

mechano
1st October 2007, 22:46

started on poo's book of excuses, an im a quick reader, but he's an even quicker writer, will never finish.

Drunken Monkey
1st October 2007, 23:01
I've never understood why people read (or write) science fiction. What is it with that shit? There's no point to it, it's all such bollocks. I know people like to escape and all that but can't you do it on your bike? Sci Fi is a waste of paper/time IMHO, what's the attraction?

Are you for fucking real?

Kickaha
2nd October 2007, 05:30
Not so long ago I read 'Under and Alone' by William Queen. It's about an undercover cop who gets into (and rises through the ranks of) a real nasty biker gang in the US, the Mongols. It cost him dearly in his personal life and I had to wonder what motivated him but it was a good read and very insightful.

I've had a bit to do with M/C's in NZ but there's no way I'd even go close to what this guy did.

Google it.

That book is quite a good read, far better than Sonny Bargers book on life in the Hells Angels

peasea
2nd October 2007, 07:05
Are you for fucking real?

Yup, can't see it at all.
Some people like football too, I can't stand that either.

deanohit
2nd October 2007, 07:16

Ooohh you clever boy. :clap:

My favorite book is "This Immortal" by Roger Zelazny, found in a second handbook shop in Welly a few years back. Sci-fi yes, but what grabbed me is it is set in the future of the earth after all the wars and the planet has hot spots where the bombs went off. Planet is now run like a museum showing other races of aliens how destructive people can be. A good quick read.

Always up for a good western by Louis L'amour though.

peasea
2nd October 2007, 07:25
That book is quite a good read, far better than Sonny Bargers book on life in the Hells Angels

Well, it's a completely different take on things, isn't it? I wouldn't like to lead my life the way either of those guys lead (or have led) theirs.

RiderInBlack
2nd October 2007, 07:26
Some people like football too, I can't stand that either.Soccer or Rugby:whocares: Not in ta ether but love a good SF. For me, SF often gives me a chance at looking at life from a different angle and question the way we believe in all sort of things.

vifferman
2nd October 2007, 09:24
I'm reading a REALLY good book at the moment, by J.V. Jones. My Aussie niece lent me her "The Barbed Coil" book when we were in Seedkneee a few weeks ago - a terrific read. So, I went looking in the library for more J.V. Jones books and found a couple of series. This book is called "A Cavern of Black Ice", and is amazing. Jones must have a really weird imagination.

The best book I'd previously read was "The Time-Traveller's Wife", by Audrey Niffenegger. Bit of a chick's book ( a romance / fantasy / science-fiction novel), but well written and very enjoyable all the same.

cowpoos
2nd October 2007, 11:11
started on poo's book of excuses, an im a quick reader, but he's an even quicker writer, will never finish.
maybe you should start a book....the history of mikeys alter egos??

Joni
2nd October 2007, 11:15
maybe you should start a book....the history of mikeys alter egos??I'd buy it and even fly to Welli for the autograph... :wari:

Winston001
2nd October 2007, 11:30
I've never understood why people read (or write) science fiction. I know people like to escape and all that but can't you do it on your bike? Sci Fi is a waste of paper/time IMHO, what's the attraction?

Science fiction presents the imaginative reader a window into the future. The possibilities are endless and new ideas can be incorporated which aren't possible in ordinary novels. In some ways sci fi has taken the place of books in earlier times set in far-flung places. There aren't such places anymore, we can see the whole earth on Google or Discovery Channel.

Sci fi also serves a valuable sociological outlet where writers can explore the consequences of overpopulation, organ growing, cities under the sea, corporations governing countries, cloning, etc.

Each to their own.

Curious_AJ
2nd October 2007, 11:41
I Like Sci-Fi personally coz it questions things, and provides alternatives and ideas for the future...

one book I read called "The Handmaid's tale" I guess is kind of Sci-Fi, yet Kind of a genre of its own (reguardless of what its actually categorised as).
It's about America in the future, and what may happen due to what was happening back in 1984 when it was written (Margret Atwood's influences for the book were heavily based in the novel 1984 as well).

but yeah, each to theur own.. though I speak for a couple of people here when I say it's really entertaining, not to mention thought provoking to read this genre.

Swoop
2nd October 2007, 11:49
"Captain Scott" by Ranuloh Fiennes is great as Fiennes has been there and done that.
His book "The feather men" is intriguing. A good read regardless!

deanohit
2nd October 2007, 12:12
Yesa I agree with Winston and AJ about how there are no more of the old far flung places to write about, so they started Sci-fi to make up for it.

Me, I really enjoy post-apocalyptic novels and movies about what could happen to the earth in the future. If anyone is reading or has read any good novels like that, PM me the title and author please, always looking for a different take on things.

pritch
2nd October 2007, 12:20
Ta for that. I once started, what I thought would be, an excellent book on the early combatants in the Vietnam war... written by a battallion commander (Airmobile).
What a BORING book! More numbers and statistics than an accounting convention.:thud:

I hope that wasn't "We Were Soldiers Once, And Young". An excellent book about real people. The Mel Gibson movie is only about the first half of the book.

My tastes are rather the opposite of most hereabout; favourite author is Bernard Cornwell who writes historical novels. He is getting better with practice (must have about thirty books out by now. His King Arthur trilogy:
"The Winter King", "The Enemy of God" and "Excalibur" would be the pick so far.

Swoop
2nd October 2007, 12:24
I hope that wasn't "We Were Soldiers Once, And Young". An excellent book about real people. The Mel Gibson movie is only about the first half of the book.
Definately not.
More of "a bean-counters memoirs of war"...

peasea
2nd October 2007, 15:47
I Like Sci-Fi personally coz it questions things, and provides alternatives and ideas for the future...

one book I read called "The Handmaid's tale" I guess is kind of Sci-Fi, yet Kind of a genre of its own (reguardless of what its actually categorised as).
It's about America in the future, and what may happen due to what was happening back in 1984 when it was written (Margret Atwood's influences for the book were heavily based in the novel 1984 as well).

but yeah, each to theur own.. though I speak for a couple of people here when I say it's really entertaining, not to mention thought provoking to read this genre.

You're right, to each their own. I'm not bagging it, just never understood why anyone would take the time to read what is (IMHO) essentially imaginative ramblings. My reasoning is; as a youngster I found real-life travel stories, a touch of history and practical journals more interesting and useful than things like Robot Archie and the like. Sure I got into Thunderbirds and Stingray but even at an early age I was looking for the strings on the puppets and taking the piss. I was looking behind the scenes, seeing how it was made and wondering 'why bother, it's not real'. Fact is far stranger than fiction.

I studied astronomy for several years, I had my own telescope and was more interested in cosmic facts than sci-fi paperbacks, the real cosmos is truly mind-boggling. As I grew older my reading time was spent on how to build and modify four stroke internal combustion engines. I squeezed some pretty good numbers from a lot of them too and I know why 91 octane gas is crap. If that reading time had been spent in lala land, surfing the cosmos in my own mind, galaxy-hopping and leaping from asteroid to asteriod with gay abandon then what would I have learned about the real world? If I am going to read bollocks it might as well be Bugs Bunny, which I will add, was just one of the dozens of 'Little Golden Books' I read to my daughters.

I'm not saying 'don't read sci-fi' I just can't fathom why anyone would. In the same nanosecond there will be people asking why anyone would buy a Harley, so there you go.

Hitcher
2nd October 2007, 17:32
I think that the essence of a good sci-fi novel is to challenge our current moral or belief frameworks by putting us (as readers) in a completely new set of circumstances where our current mores no longer apply or are relevant. Similarly to how some people apply counter-factuals to historical events, but in reverse. The heavy-metal "Beam me up, Mr Sulu" stuff only creates a narrative in which to pose such issues. Such as what happens when bionically-enhanced humans fuck.

Winston001
2nd October 2007, 19:33
......Such as what happens when bionically-enhanced humans fuck.

Which reminds me, there is a wonderful short story by Larry Niven about the consequences of Superman actually having his way with Lois Lane......and the machinegun effect of Supermans orgasm. :devil2:

Winston001
2nd October 2007, 19:34
His King Arthur trilogy:

Agreed - great books.

Skyryder
2nd October 2007, 19:43
My tastes are rather the opposite of most hereabout; favourite author is Bernard Cornwell who writes historical novels. He is getting better with practice (must have about thirty books out by now. His King Arthur trilogy:

Try the Merlin Trilogies by Mary Sterwart and the Sword at Sunset by Rosemary

Suttcliff. If you like early English history. I've got another one but dammed if I can think of the name. Set in the times of the Celtic church. I'll post it when I can remember.

Skyryder

Wolf
2nd October 2007, 21:48
My reading list would be longer than this thread.

Just finished Harry Harrison's Deathworld 1 and 2, started on Deathworld 3. Really enjoyable.

Concurrently reading Boorman's "Race to Dakar" and I've got a large number of fiction and non-fiction books in my "yet to read" pile.

SF, fantasy, comedy, thriller, crime fic, "classics", encyclopaedias, dictionaries, motorcycle journeys ... all sorts of stuff.

I've tracked down some great etexts courtesy of the Guttenburg Project, which was great before I got my glasses replaced as I was unable to read books by artificial light with my old glasses and at least with etexts I could resize the letters.

Now I've got my glasses replaced I can sit up in bed at night with a book.

Curious_AJ
2nd October 2007, 21:55
You're right, to each their own. I'm not bagging it, just never understood why anyone would take the time to read what is (IMHO) essentially imaginative ramblings. My reasoning is; as a youngster I found real-life travel stories, a touch of history and practical journals more interesting and useful than things like Robot Archie and the like. Sure I got into Thunderbirds and Stingray but even at an early age I was looking for the strings on the puppets and taking the piss. I was looking behind the scenes, seeing how it was made and wondering 'why bother, it's not real'. Fact is far stranger than fiction.

I studied astronomy for several years, I had my own telescope and was more interested in cosmic facts than sci-fi paperbacks, the real cosmos is truly mind-boggling. As I grew older my reading time was spent on how to build and modify four stroke internal combustion engines. I squeezed some pretty good numbers from a lot of them too and I know why 91 octane gas is crap. If that reading time had been spent in lala land, surfing the cosmos in my own mind, galaxy-hopping and leaping from asteroid to asteriod with gay abandon then what would I have learned about the real world? If I am going to read bollocks it might as well be Bugs Bunny, which I will add, was just one of the dozens of 'Little Golden Books' I read to my daughters.

I'm not saying 'don't read sci-fi' I just can't fathom why anyone would. In the same nanosecond there will be people asking why anyone would buy a Harley, so there you go.

yeah, don't get me wrong, I love a good non-fiction about something interesting as much as the next person too.. not limited in what i read, but I usually prefer to use books to get away from what's going on.

you got some good points I'd say.

peasea
2nd October 2007, 23:26
yeah, don't get me wrong, I love a good non-fiction about something interesting as much as the next person too.. not limited in what i read, but I usually prefer to use books to get away from what's going on.

you got some good points I'd say.

Thank you, and when it comes to escapism perhaps that's what sci-fi is all about. My escapism revolves around getting into fact (specifically engines) and I revel in it when dumb-arses go all gooey about things they don't understand and I can shoot them down in flames. When it comes to Space Station 69 on Planet Wifflebat I have to admit, I know nothing.

What turns people's wheels (or gyro's) is interesting; I'm a spanner man, into pushrods and carbs (not your nutritional carbs, you understand) but I can understand and relate to EFI and OHC. All of that is real and relevant. My ultimate escape is on two wheels, where I take my life in my hands, exercise my senses and take everything I see so, so very seriously. Like 'god' how can you take something you can't see or touch (or talk to?) seriously? Sci-fi and the bible have much in common, it's a load of 'what-ifs'. Interpretation, escapism, soul searching and (if you like) spiritual release. (Or self induced imprisonment....)

Star Trek, The Hitch-Hikers Guide, all that, is what it is; entertainment. I don't subscribe to it, thousands do and not all who are interested in those forms of entertainment are idiots. On the flip side, some 'real world' scientists are idiots. Global warming (for example) is, IMHO, cyclical. It will happen, then we'll all cool down and have another ice age, then it'll come back and we'll all bask. Who do you believe? So many things that man (non sexist bracket) has imagined have come to pass. Stanley Kubrick's '2001....' is a good example, we now have space stations etc. Flash Gordon....jet-packs for the back etc. Even DaVinci had choppers (not Orange County-types) on the agenda.

You need to dream, to expand the 'article' and to push the limits. Without such thinking, such imagination, we are lost as one of this planet's greatest beings.

However, don't expect me to be found on a desert island reading about it; I'll be head down, butt up, workshop manual in hand, fixing some antiquated V-Twin motorcycle with more heritage than the entire collection of Jules Verne's greatest hits.

But again; I thank you for your insightful, positive and polite input.

Curious_AJ
2nd October 2007, 23:36
another good post.

I agree with the whole thing about global warming though, it will happen, but not as fast as they want us to think.. and as much as they'd like to guilt trip us, it's not our fault... shit happens when you live on a giant orb floating around another giant orb with another giant orb floating around the first giant orb...

but back onto topic.

Has anyone read any good vampire or Warewolf books?

I'd say my favourites have to be Anne Rice Interview with a vampire, the vampire lestat, and the queen of the damned in the vampire line

as for warewolves... cant remember the author (dont have the book in the house at the moment either) but its called Heart of Midnight... it really pulls the reader in!

peasea
2nd October 2007, 23:45
another good post.

I agree with the whole thing about global warming though, it will happen, but not as fast as they want us to think.. and as much as they'd like to guilt trip us, it's not our fault... shit happens when you live on a giant orb floating around another giant orb with another giant orb floating around the first giant orb...

but back onto topic.

Has anyone read any good vampire or Warewolf books?

I'd say my favourites have to be Anne Rice Interview with a vampire, the vampire lestat, and the queen of the damned in the vampire line

as for warewolves... cant remember the author (dont have the book in the house at the moment either) but its called Heart of Midnight... it really pulls the reader in!

Maaaaate!
Werewolf?
Vampire?

I have, for all to enjoy, transcripts of my ex-wife's testimonies about me!
You want Sci-fi? You want werewolves? Vampires?

This could be a sci-fi best seller...
Hahaahahahahha.
Nunyt.

deanohit
3rd October 2007, 06:56

Was it a part of the Ravenloft series? 4th book in the series is called Heart of midnight and is by J. Robert King.

Usarka
3rd October 2007, 06:59
as for warewolves....

I met a warewolf once his name was Tupper. Looked like michael jackson and burped a lot.

Curious_AJ
3rd October 2007, 12:30
Was it a part of the Ravenloft series? 4th book in the series is called Heart of midnight and is by J. Robert King.
YESS!!! this is it!! heh, ravenloft ftw.. the others werent as good as this one though... but ive only ever read those once,, this one ive read 3 times.. lol

I met a warewolf once his name was Tupper. Looked like michael jackson and burped a lot.
sounds like me... rofl..

Cajun
3rd October 2007, 12:40
I personally only really read books about medieval times, but i am not in to books which have tons of magic and stuff like that, more knights, vikings and such

i am in process of reading Husk 'The path of revenge' by Russell Kirkpatrick (nz authour)[http://www.authortracker.co.nz/books/new/title.cfm?ISBN=0732283906&Author=KIRKPATRICK_RUSSELL&Area=New_Voyager], while i wait for the final book in the troy series(by David Gemmell) to come out.

ManDownUnder
3rd October 2007, 12:45
http://www.amazon.com/Five-People-You-Meet-Heaven/dp/0786868716

Stunning book - makes you stop and think...

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 13:32
makes you stop and think...

This is Kiwi Biker. We can't have any of that sort of thing going on around here! What would the neighbours think?

ManDownUnder
3rd October 2007, 13:50
This is Kiwi Biker. We can't have any of that sort of thing going on around here! What would the neighbours think?

Invite 'em to KB... that'll stop them thinking.

Na seriously though... good book. Waxes philosophical so if you're in the mood for a shoot 'em up avoid it like the plague, but if you sometimes stop and wonder about life the universe and everything... and HHGTTG isn't serious enough...

Ocean1
3rd October 2007, 14:38
Books I've enjoyed recently were Richard Morgan's "Altered Carbon" and "Black Man".

One I'm looking forward to is Greg Bear's "Quantico".

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 14:47
Books I've enjoyed recently were Richard Morgan's "Altered Carbon"

Interesting. I had trouble keeping up with all of the characters in Altered Carbon -- too much body-hopping going on -- and there was more about Takashi Kovak's past that I wanted to know but wasn't told. I loved the Hendrix Hotel though.

And Greg Bear I find extremely variable as an author. Some of his stuff is outstandingly good. Other stuff is impenetrable.

Skyryder
3rd October 2007, 14:53
I personally only really read books about medieval times, but i am not in to books which have tons of magic and stuff like that, more knights, vikings and such

i am in process of reading Husk 'The path of revenge' by Russell Kirkpatrick (nz authour)[http://www.authortracker.co.nz/books/new/title.cfm?ISBN=0732283906&Author=KIRKPATRICK_RUSSELL&Area=New_Voyager], while i wait for the final book in the troy series(by David Gemmell) to come out.

Have you read SLAUGHTERBOY by Odo Hirsch. Got halfway through it. Bit too dark for me t the mo. Will go back to it one day when back into this type of read.

Skyryder

Toaster
3rd October 2007, 14:55
I don't read books... too much like work!!

.... I do like the ones with squeeky-toys in the pages though :)

Skyryder
3rd October 2007, 14:56
Maaaaate!
Werewolf?
Vampire?

I have, for all to enjoy, transcripts of my ex-wife's testimonies about me!
You want Sci-fi? You want werewolves? Vampires?

This could be a sci-fi best seller...
Hahaahahahahha.
Nunyt.

Try the Historian. Don't recall who wrote it. Elizabeth someone. One of the best vampire books I've read.

Skyryder

marioc
3rd October 2007, 14:58
Just finished "The Aquitane Progression" Robert Ludlum.
Very good if you like spy/conspiracy type stories.

Ocean1
3rd October 2007, 15:07
Interesting. I had trouble keeping up with all of the characters in Altered Carbon -- too much body-hopping going on -- and there was more about Takashi Kovak's past that I wanted to know but wasn't told. I loved the Hendrix Hotel though.

And Greg Bear I find extremely variable as an author. Some of his stuff is outstandingly good. Other stuff is impenetrable.

I love it that the reader's not treated like an idiot. In real life characters cross our path every day, they contribute to our lives and we often have no idea where they came from or where they're going. Why should fictional characters be any different? I get sick of authors chasing detail beyond what's either entertaining or pertinent to the plot, it's insulting.

The past master of such character ambushes was Roger Zelazney. He would apparently spend days writing a background novella simply to flesh out a single character. He’d then dump this apparition into the plot of the main work, sometimes for a mere paragraph or two. The power of the technique comes from the author’s confidence and understanding of the character, and what’s not revealed about him. Several of these novellas were later further fleshed out as stand-alone short stories, bloody good ones.

Agree about Bear though, very, very good or horrid...

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 15:57
I love it that the reader's not treated like an idiot. In real life characters cross our path every day, they contribute to our lives and we often have no idea where they came from or where they're going. Why should fictional characters be any different? I get sick of authors chasing detail beyond what's either entertaining or pertinent to the plot, it's insulting.

I agree. Producers (particularly of American series and movies) do this way too often to establish their character's credentials. Not that that matters after the first episode! My comment wasn't meant as a criticism, just that Mr Kovaks was a complex dude and I ended up wanting to know more about him. Unlike in real life, I couldn't take him out and buy him a beer.

Ocean1
3rd October 2007, 16:02
I agree. Producers (particularly of American series and movies) do this way too often to establish their character's credentials. Not that that matters after the first episode!

Ah, well that's different, fit-for-purpose an' all that...

Unlike in real life, I couldn't take him out and buy him a beer.

Most kind, I'll have a Speights. Ta.

Drunken Monkey
3rd October 2007, 16:14
Some people like football too, I can't stand that either.

Well I see you've managed to elaborate somewhat in the meantime, but honestly, there's nothing to be proud about being a literary ignoramous. I'm not saying you have to like it, but surely you can grasp the concept of why people have such as thing as 'literary fiction' ? Sci-fi is just one genre. A world without fiction, a world without imagination, would never have yielded the mechanical trinkets that you find so interesting.

To continue with the football example. Even if you can't stand it, surely you can appreciate it as a competitive outlet? I can't stand basketball, but I don't go bagging it, I understand it's a sport that, due to location, culture, etc, other people do participate in as one form of competitive outlet.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd October 2007, 16:17
I have just finished a bunch of James Ellroy books: real hard bitten crime fiction all set in LA in the 1950's. Two of the books at least have been made into films (the one you've seen is LA Confidential with Kim Basinger and Russell Crowe and GUy Pierce). I really like these books but they dont shy away from the seamy side of life thats for sure.

The four Ive just read are:

The Black Dahlia (also a film)
The Big Nowhere
LA Confidential
White Jazz

I also read William Gibson's new book "Spook Country" last week. Excellent: Those of you who read science fiction will have realised that I am a big fan of Gibson (neuromancer is my favourite book probably). His latest two are not science fiction really: set in the present day, and are constructed more like mystery stories. His characters and dialogue, and the intricate plot make them well worth reading.

I am going on to "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins except I have a Performance Bikes (September :thumbsup: ) to finish reading first.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd October 2007, 16:22
Which reminds me, there is a wonderful short story by Larry Niven about the consequences of Superman actually having his way with Lois Lane......and the machinegun effect of Supermans orgasm. :devil2:

Ive read that, its funny as hell: I think IIRC that it was penned as the result of late night drunken ramblings with other authors that then got put to paper.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd October 2007, 16:36
Thank you, and when it comes to escapism perhaps that's what sci-fi is all about. My escapism revolves around getting into fact (specifically engines) and I revel in it when dumb-arses go all gooey about things they don't understand and I can shoot them down in flames. When it comes to Space Station 69 on Planet Wifflebat I have to admit, I know nothing.

With respect, if you think that science fiction, or speculative fiction or whatever is "Space Station 69 on Planet Wifflebat" then you are absolutely correct, you know nothing about science fiction.

Science fiction is nothing more or less than what any other fiction is: its a mirror that is hung up by an author so that we as readers can examine and think about things that the author thinks we should think about.

A couple of examples: George Orwell's "1984": pretty obviously is about state control, authoritarianism and state control vs individual freedom. The fact that its set in an "alternative future" is just window dressing.

Ursula Le Guin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" is about male and female relationships: the window dressing is "What if there was a possibility that any given individual could exhibit the sexual characteristics of a male or a female?" How would society be different? How would we as individuals react?

Her novel "The Dispossessed" is about society, and political systems: the window dressing being a binary planetary system where one has an evolved anarchic (in the political science sense of no government) society, and the other has a society loosely like ours. One of the questions is "in a society with no laws, how does one become a criminal?"

William Gibson's "Neuromancer" (by the way, he invented the term "Cyberspace" ...... in 1984) is about the way technology is used, and abused, and about the interface between people and the way they use any given piece of technology, which may not be in the way its makers intended.

CJ Cherryh's best books are about society, and people, and the interesting and potentially devastating things that might happen when individuals from societies with widely differing values interact. She studied anthropology so its kind of her specialty.

Sanx
3rd October 2007, 21:23
For those not too keen on religion, may I recommend two books I've just finished reading:

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Although the first is probably better argued, the second's an easier read, not least because Dawkins has a habit of repeating himself somewhat, as well as over-quoting his previous books. Both books are a pretty good deconstruction of the whole God argument. They're unlikely to convince anyone who believes that there is no god, if only because (as both books point out) anyone who believes in god has already abandoned logic and reason.

However, both books are a good read and point out in glorious detail the hypocrisy of modern religion, as well as the evil religion has caused both past and present. They also provide some very good information to use against those who might preach at you ...

Curious_AJ
3rd October 2007, 21:32
For those not too keen on religion, may I recommend two books I've just finished reading:

The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins
God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens

Although the first is probably better argued, the second's an easier read, not least because Dawkins has a habit of repeating himself somewhat, as well as over-quoting his previous books. Both books are a pretty good deconstruction of the whole God argument. They're unlikely to convince anyone who believes that there is no god, if only because (as both books point out) anyone who believes in god has already abandoned logic and reason.

However, both books are a good read and point out in glorious detail the hypocrisy of modern religion, as well as the evil religion has caused both past and present. They also provide some very good information to use against those who might preach at you ...

I was brought up a Catholic, but now i'm not sure what I believe in really... but I don't think putting down someone elses religion is right, reguardless of whether its "bull shyte" or not... who's to say what exists and what doesnt...

no literature can proove anything either way really... it's all a matter of oppinion... in my oppinion...

but back onto the topic... other religious reads DiVinci code, it has to be read, reguardless of religious standings or feelings.

anne rice book called: Christ The Lord, based on Jesus life as depicted in the Bible. yet again a good read, reguardless of religious standing, as it's written in such a non-confronting way.

havn't really read any anti-religion books, I choose not to, because it's wrong to put someone else's beliefs down.

Hitcher
3rd October 2007, 21:44
it's wrong to put someone else's beliefs down.

Depends what you mean by "put down". Surely any belief system should be able to be challenged by vigorous and robust debate? Anyway, there is a thread specifically devoted to such discussion.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd October 2007, 21:46
havn't really read any anti-religion books, I choose not to, because it's wrong to put someone else's beliefs down.

Not at all. Hitler believed that it was the right thing to do to eradicate Jews and no one has a problem putting his beliefs down.

HenryDorsetCase
3rd October 2007, 21:57
. other religious reads DiVinci code, it has to be read, reguardless of religious standings or feelings.

I read the first page and thought it was a lot of tosh, TBH, and his prose style gave me the shits.

Also it has the distinction of being THE WORST film I have ever paid money to see.

Curious_AJ
3rd October 2007, 22:09
Depends what you mean by "put down". Surely any belief system should be able to be challenged by vigorous and robust debate? Anyway, there is a thread specifically devoted to such discussion.
true hitch, challenging is okay, but not bagging... to clarify.

Not at all. Hitler believed that it was the right thing to do to eradicate Jews and no one has a problem putting his beliefs down.
I don't put hitler's beliefs down.. i think they were a little over the top, btu he had his reasons for believing so... mein kampf... read it, breathe it... lol

I read the first page and thought it was a lot of tosh, TBH, and his prose style gave me the shits.

Also it has the distinction of being THE WORST film I have ever paid money to see.
well,each to their own, i thought it was interesting and thought provoking.

but we aren't talking about the film.. that was a load of bollocks.

Kickaha
4th October 2007, 05:38

Totally agree, it was shyte

peasea
4th October 2007, 14:10
Well I see you've managed to elaborate somewhat in the meantime, but honestly, there's nothing to be proud about being a literary ignoramous.

Would you please wander off somewhere and have sex?

Just because I don't read Sci Fi doesn't mean I'm a 'literary ignoramus' and if SF is all you read then you've got your head stuck firmly in the sand. (Or up your own arse.)

Fact is so often stranger (and more interesting) than fiction.

Pull your head in.

peasea
4th October 2007, 14:28
With respect, if you think that science fiction, or speculative fiction or whatever is "Space Station 69 on Planet Wifflebat" then you are absolutely correct, you know nothing about science fiction.

Science fiction is nothing more or less than what any other fiction is: its a mirror that is hung up by an author so that we as readers can examine and think about things that the author thinks we should think about.

A couple of examples: George Orwell's "1984": pretty obviously is about state control, authoritarianism and state control vs individual freedom. The fact that its set in an "alternative future" is just window dressing.

Ursula Le Guin's "The Left Hand of Darkness" is about male and female relationships: the window dressing is "What if there was a possibility that any given individual could exhibit the sexual characteristics of a male or a female?" How would society be different? How would we as individuals react?

Her novel "The Dispossessed" is about society, and political systems: the window dressing being a binary planetary system where one has an evolved anarchic (in the political science sense of no government) society, and the other has a society loosely like ours. One of the questions is "in a society with no laws, how does one become a criminal?"

William Gibson's "Neuromancer" (by the way, he invented the term "Cyberspace" ...... in 1984) is about the way technology is used, and abused, and about the interface between people and the way they use any given piece of technology, which may not be in the way its makers intended.

CJ Cherryh's best books are about society, and people, and the interesting and potentially devastating things that might happen when individuals from societies with widely differing values interact. She studied anthropology so its kind of her specialty.

Yup, a rather large packet of 'what-if's'.
My point really is; if someone writes a story/article on something in the real world, say an engine or motorcycle for example, if the writer gets one tiny detail wrong the whole thing looks like bollocks and their credibilty goes out the window. SciFi writers can write what the hell they like; it's all fiction. Also, as others have mentioned it here, I can't get my head around religion either; a big punch up to see who has the best imaginary friend? What's that all about?

I'm a hands-on, practical type; if you can't touch it, see it, eat it, ride it or spend it there's a pretty good chance it ISN'T THERE!

It's probably why SciFi and Religion are so close together in the library.

I'm not trying to wind you up my friend, I just don't get it.

Ocean1
4th October 2007, 14:47
Yup, a rather large packet of 'what-if's'.
My point really is; if someone writes a story/article on something in the real world, say an engine or motorcycle for example, if the writer gets one tiny detail wrong the whole thing looks like bollocks and their credibilty goes out the window. SciFi writers can write what the hell they like; it's all fiction. Also, as others have mentioned it here, I can't get my head around religion either; a big punch up to see who has the best imaginary friend? What's that all about?

I'm a hands-on, practical type; if you can't touch it, see it, eat it, ride it or spend it there's a pretty good chance it ISN'T THERE!

It's probably why SciFi and Religion are so close together in the library.

I'm not trying to wind you up my friend, I just don't get it.

In identifying SF as a shitload of "what if's" you're perfectly correct. Limiting your own reading to the relms of the "what if's" that are currently possible is also perfectly OK. Can you see that some of us, (while having little interest in science fantasy) enjoy the excercise of exploring tomorrow's "what if's"? Some of that conjecture doesn't require faster than light or time travel either, it's a perfectly valid set of assumptions about technology that's more than likely to be available in out lifetimes. Will your kids live in a world with far more oportunities than us dude? It may well depend on how we manage our "what if's".

Scouse
4th October 2007, 15:10
anything by Nelson DeMille like word of Honour, Gold Coast, Plum Island, Up Country.

peasea
4th October 2007, 15:19
In identifying SF as a shitload of "what if's" you're perfectly correct. Limiting your own reading to the relms of the "what if's" that are currently possible is also perfectly OK. Can you see that some of us, (while having little interest in science fantasy) enjoy the excercise of exploring tomorrow's "what if's"? Some of that conjecture doesn't require faster than light or time travel either, it's a perfectly valid set of assumptions about technology that's more than likely to be available in out lifetimes. Will your kids live in a world with far more oportunities than us dude? It may well depend on how we manage our "what if's".

I can understand some planning for the future and your reference to Orwell's 1984, you do need to have your eyes open. You're also right about time travel; when my first daughter was born my eldest sister said "she'll be leaving home before you know it". Guess what? Almost eighteen years have passed since that comment and the world is a different place.

...and yes, I can see, while at the same time I'm sure you can too. If you know what I mean.

If I can add; I do feel that the swing of so many toward technology is detrimental. Some? Fine, but where are our plumbers, builders and mechanics? Today's kids know their way around a computer or X-box but few of them know where their car's sump plug is or how to fix a tap washer.

Read on, McDuff.............

Drunken Monkey
4th October 2007, 17:12
Just because I don't read Sci Fi doesn't mean I'm a 'literary ignoramus'

You're right, but the fact that you can't understand why other people do read it does make you a literary ignoramus.

and if SF is all you read then you've got your head stuck firmly in the sand. (Or up your own arse.)

I agree, lucky for me I read from virtually all genres.

As for:

Would you please wander off somewhere and have sex?

...and...

Pull your head in.

Well, let's add belligerent, childish knob-end to your list of attributes. For someone who rates themselves so highly, you throw adult debate out the window right away and descend into imbecilic low-brow insults. Here's something aimed at your level: Go fuck yourself you obtuse moron!

peasea
4th October 2007, 18:53
You're right, but the fact that you can't understand why other people do read it does make you a literary ignoramus.

I agree, lucky for me I read from virtually all genres.

As for:

...and...

Well, let's add belligerent, childish knob-end to your list of attributes. For someone who rates themselves so highly, you throw adult debate out the window right away and descend into imbecilic low-brow insults. Here's something aimed at your level: Go fuck yourself you obtuse moron!

Well didn't you do well, Google those words all by yourself?

I think highly enough of myself to not stoop to your level and you've downgraded what was otherwise an interesting thread. We're all entitled to our opinions, you have one of me and I certainly have one of you.

Drunken Monkey
4th October 2007, 19:09
I don't need Google, I get my "big person words of the day" emailed right to my inbox!

Right, now we've got that BS out of the way, can we move on?

I chose 'literary ignoramus' deliberately, I mean it in a purely technical sense. You seem to not be able to differentiate between "read sci-fi" and "appreciate sci-fi".
So in this case I'm saying you appear to have an inability to grasp why we have the genre. I think your exact words were "What is it with that shit?" and "There's no point to it, it's all such bollocks"
It's got nothing to do with whether you actually read sci-fi, or even like it, of which I personally don't give a rat's arse what you like or don't like.
I point this out because I beleive it shows that you have no respect or appreciation of the subject matter. This is not a good thing to be proud about. This is why I tried to extend your anology with sport, but it still seemed to be lost on you, so I'll try again.
For example, let's take a different fiction area, like the works of Jane Austen. I don't read her novels, I don't particularly identify with the characters and their interactions. However, I do appreciate her works in respect to her contribution to how people used the English language.
So, in the same light, other people here have been trying to illustrate to you what the point is, i.e. sci-fi as a medium of putting forward concepts, ideas, etc...So, I'm not asking you to read sci-fi, I'm not asking you to like it, I am asking you to understand that the medium exists as a valid literary art for a reason and to remain ignorant of this reason makes one a 'literary ignoramus'.

Do you get my point now?

Swoop
4th October 2007, 19:12
Take the slagging match to PD, please people. Let us read in peace over here.

Winston001
4th October 2007, 21:20
Errrr......yes, well, after that interesting exchange of views shall we go back on topic...?

I've just finished "The Afghan" by Frederick Forsyth and have to hand it to the guy. I've never read a book of his I didn't enjoy. This one is more of a guide to terrorism and counter-terrorism with a plot thrown in and his attention to detail is remarkable.

The other writer I put in Forsyth's class for accuracy and detail is Tom Clancy. Pity he couldn't keep it up.

Skyryder
4th October 2007, 22:03
Errrr......yes, well, after that interesting exchange of views shall we go back on topic...?

I've just finished "The Afghan" by Frederick Forsyth and have to hand it to the guy. I've never read a book of his I didn't enjoy. This one is more of a guide to terrorism and counter-terrorism with a plot thrown in and his attention to detail is remarkable.

The other writer I put in Forsyth's class for accuracy and detail is Tom Clancy. Pity he couldn't keep it up.

You might like DAMAGE CONTROL by Gordon Kent

Basically aircraft carrier type stuff. It's a good read. There's another in this vein but will have to look it up. SAS sort of thing set in the Middle East.

Got another one in this vein but no too sure of the name of the book. Sniper stuff about the real assanation of Saddam Hussain and the new guy (a look alike) actulay took the place of the original.

Skyryder

Skyryder

peasea
4th October 2007, 22:06
Take the slagging match to PD, please people. Let us read in peace over here.

I was kinda hoping that would happen but it seems the mods are asleep today.

Just re-read George Begg's 'Burt Munro, Indian Legend of Speed' and got to thinking about Thoreson's efforts at Bonneville this year. Why do kiwi speedsters (four-wheeled and two) have to die to get recognition? Anyway, Begg's effort? Not bad.

Skyryder
4th October 2007, 22:09
Basically aircraft carrier type stuff. It's a good read. There's another in this vein but will have to look it up. SAS sort of thing set in the Middle East.

Skyryder

The Feather Men. http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/f/ranulph-fiennes/feather-men.htm

Skyryder

Ocean1
4th October 2007, 23:46
Anyone mentioned Patrick O'Brian lately?

I'm trying to resist going through the Aubry/Maturin series again, need to wait at least another year or two...

Swoop
5th October 2007, 07:21
The Feather Men.
That is the conundrum. Is it fiction?

Drunken Monkey
5th October 2007, 08:07
Well then I apologise to all, only it seems to me the title of the thread is "Read any good books lately", not "Who thinks science-fiction is a waste of time".

Winston001
5th October 2007, 08:12
Anyone mentioned Patrick O'Brian lately?

I'm trying to resist going through the Aubry/Maturin series again, need to wait at least another year or two...

Yes he is certainly a good writer. I've only read one of the books and found it very authentic of seafaring days of yore. Personally I prefer the Hornblower books which are a bit lighter in tone. Each to their own.

Skyryder
5th October 2007, 08:41
That is the conundrum. Is it fiction?

No but still worth reading.

Rogue Warrior about a Navy Seal is not a bad yarn. Not fiction

There was another I read about a guy who went undercover in Northen Island.

Don't recall the name unfortunatley. Will try and recall it later.

Skyryder

Swoop
5th October 2007, 09:43
Rogue Warrior about a Navy Seal is not a bad yarn. Not fiction.
Sounds like a goatfuck to me...:rofl:

Here (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Books/Nonfiction/War-military/Other/auction-120923698.htm) is a good read.
Responsible for the Entebbe raid.

Blue Babe
11th October 2007, 15:01
I've just finished "Jessica" by Bryce Courtney :crybaby::weep: It was so sad at the end.... Can't say too much as Doug hasn't read it yet. When he's finished "The Potato Factory" (same author) I'll read it;) In the meantime I'll read "Harry Potter's Last book to keep me going :2thumbsup

Wolf
11th October 2007, 20:06
The past master of such character ambushes was Roger Zelazney. He would apparently spend days writing a background novella simply to flesh out a single character. He’d then dump this apparition into the plot of the main work, sometimes for a mere paragraph or two. The power of the technique comes from the author’s confidence and understanding of the character, and what’s not revealed about him.
Most good authors do that, and most writing tips I've read recommend writing a details background of your characters and the place they live in. Niven and Pournelle wrote ten times as many notes about the society, technology and characters in their "Mote in God's Eye" epic as they wrote in the book itself.

It is easy to spot who has researched well, created good character profiles or is speaking from experience, even if they don't say a lot. Their words carry weight and are confidently arranged.

A couple of examples:
Some of Larry Niven's "Known Space" stories explore societies where organ harvesting is extremely commonplace and the uber-rich and powerful rulers prolong their lives indefinitely by replacing damaged bits so, in order to ensure a steady supply of organs, pretty much every crime carried the penalty of death and dismemberment - to be used as an organ/limb donor.

A US Senator read the stories, realised that ever since the advent of blood typing the potential had been there to turn condemned criminals into a source of fresh blood and that it would only get worse as advanced organ transplant techniques were developed, resulting in a society such as Niven described.

Result - he proposed a bill before the Senate that was passed into law prohibiting any compulsory harvesting of anything from condemned criminals - blood or body parts - to ensure that, in the US at least, people would not be condemned to death for their blood or their organs.

Owing to the fact that many of the operations Niven referred to are still not possible, the story was set in the far future when such surgery had been perfected - technically science fiction but very strongly a social commentary and a warning of what the greedy and powerful could do given the chance.

SciFi writers can write what the hell they like; it's all fiction.
Not strictly correct. SF readers also tend to be heavily into science fact and often shoot down scientific inaccuracies - and don't think they won't write to the author via the publishing house and point out the errors.

I'm not talking Star Trek's let's-create-a-temporal-paradox-every-week or "come to a complete stop (whatever the fuck that is in space) from fast-enough-to-travel-106-light-years-in-under-a-week in less than 2 seconds" bullshit. Serious SF readers know that's pure shit. I'm talking about well thought-out "technology suggests technology, can have serious societal implications, how can technology and or people solve the issues?" stuff.

One of my favourite authors wrote a story in which he fucked up a basic piece of solar system physics and the editor did not pick it up. Shitloads of fans wrote in, it was corrected in the second and subsequent editions and now the first edition is worth serious gold because he screwed up. Point is, everyone knew it.

Cock up something basic like one of Newtons laws or Einsteinian mathematics and you can be sure to get a lot of emails and letters from readers.

Ocean1
11th October 2007, 21:04
One of my favourite authors wrote a story in which he fucked up a basic piece of solar system physics and the editor did not pick it up. Shitloads of fans wrote in, it was corrected in the second and subsequent editions and now the first edition is worth serious gold because he screwed up.

Ringworld?

Wolf
11th October 2007, 21:08
Ringworld?
You total fucking GEEK!

:2thumbsup

Ocean1
11th October 2007, 21:22
You total fucking GEEK!

:2thumbsup

There's a first edition lurking around here somewhere, if the kids haven't sent it off to the shop with one of the occasional purges...

The freelance materials and astrophysics work subsequentially done on Ringworld's design and environment and mailed to Niven's publisher was so impressive in both volume and complexity that they published it as a research paper. Before that nobody had calculated the strength of materials required to build a Dyson Sphere let alone an orbital ring. Niven had also neglected to explain one of the inherent instabilities in such a structure, an oversight he corrected in Ringworld Engineers iirc?

Wolf
11th October 2007, 21:27
Niven had also neglected to explain one of the inherent instabilities in such a structure, an oversight he corrected in Ringworld Engineers iirc?
MIT (I think) students running through the halls chanting "The Ringworld is falling".

And in Ringworld Engineers it is revealed that many of the drives set in place to stabilise the ring have been stolen/cannibalised so there is only one drastic way to shift the ring back on course - with far-reaching implications and a major quandry for a Pak Protector. Very good in-depth stuff.

Ocean1
11th October 2007, 21:46
Very good in-depth stuff.

Indeed. ANd not just the science. Luis Woo is one of my favouritest characters, one very impressive dude. Not to mention the Kzin...

Wolf
11th October 2007, 22:06
Indeed. ANd not just the science. Luis Woo is one of my favouritest characters, one very impressive dude. Not to mention the Kzin...
One of the things I like about most of Niven's stories is that people are very much people no matter how far they've journeyed or how long they've lived - very evident in his Known Space books.

Places like "Mount Lookitthat" and "Wemadeit"; Crashlanding City/"Crashlanders", creatures named after old Terran fiction (like the Bandersnatchi) or what they looklike (Pierson's Puppeteers) and playing practical jokes like making an enormous robot with a bunch of simple robotic parts and a large amount of polystyrene and setting it to walk due east on the westbound moving walkway at the same speed as the walkway... (fuck, if we had the off the shelf robot technology and moving walkways, that's precisely the sort of shit I'd pull).

Definitely like the Kzinti as a race and Speaker-to-Animals/Chmee in particular.

Must be Niven's favourite as well as he got most the best lines...

My four favourite SF heroes for years were Louis Woo, Speaker-to-Animals, Nessus and Beowulf Schaeffer. Even though they weren't always particularly "likeable"...

Edit: Someone should buy the film rights and make a few of them. "These are the voyages of the starship "Lying Bastard", it's ongoing mission: to seek out new life and new civilisations and perform Rishathra with them..."