PDA

View Full Version : The Setup

Zukin
27th July 2006, 20:37
Well I am about to set up the little ole 250 for my first ride at the end of August :yes:

What gearing would you recommend?
I have a 48 on the rear, and a 13 on the front?

Your thoughts?

Cheers

warewolf
28th July 2006, 10:40
What gearing would you recommend?
I have a 48 on the rear, and a 13 on the front?What's the intended use? On my DR-Z250, I run 15/42 on the road; 14/42 was a tad too short. In the forest I run 13/46 but maybe 13/49 would be better.

Zukin
28th July 2006, 10:46
DOH :shit:

It will be used on the road for most of the trip, but also on gravel?

Cheers

warewolf
28th July 2006, 12:09
It will be used on the road for most of the trip, but also on gravel?Probably close to the 14/42 OEM compromise, I'd say. 15/48 is close but shorter and would require a long chain. 13/39 would be good if available, requires a short chain. (Just trying to save you replacing both sprockets).

merv
29th July 2006, 21:55
I ran my Suzuki for a while on the stock 42 back sprocket but then changed it to a 45 alloy and on the road I found it fine on the 14/45 combo as I reckon it was geared rather high stock for a 250. On 14/45 it was still good for 130km/hr. On the trail I then just slipped either a 13T or 12T onto the front. The 12/45 still didn't give it a good enough 1st gear but by then the ratios were too close - remembering my bitching about this bike anyway.

So if you are off on a mainly road trip go with 14/42 or 13/42, as 13/48 is pretty low, or do you not have a 42 back sprocket? According to my gearing spreadsheet the 13/48 combo means you'd only be able to do 117km/hr at 9,000rpm - not good on the road.

Zukin
30th July 2006, 20:35
Hey

I definately have a 13/48, and yes it is low
This is why I want to change it to a higher ratio

So you think a 13/42 will be ok?

Cheers Scott

merv
30th July 2006, 21:44
13/42 is just over 130km/hr at 9,000 rpm if you are running a 120 or 4.60 tyre or equiv on the back. That's just over 6,700 rpm at 100km/hr - as long as you are happy with that.

Zukin
31st July 2006, 11:06
Thanks for your help Merv

Well as I am wanting to go away for a few days at the end of the month, and the new bikes dont arrive until late August, I thought I have better get the Ole XR into shape!:yes:

So on the weekend I installed the larger tank (15 litres), so that will help me get a little further without refills
It is actually for an XR400, but it fits perfectly onto the 250 without any modifications.
Only took a few minutes for a mechanically challenged person to do.
Luckily I only put in a splash of fuel to check for leaks, as there was a few small drips coming from the tap, a new O ring sorted this out.

So next is to get a rack setup on the back, so I can carry the tent and then some panniers for the other gear.
Hope to get a look at this, this weekend.

Then I need to change the gearing (and probably the chain too :wait: ) and then I have to get two tyres (as mine arent currently highway rated). I will also get heavy duty tubes fitted at the same time.

The its a full service and then hopefully if all goes to plan its on the road on the 25th August for a few days:yes:

merv
31st July 2006, 11:38
You'd have a 48 or 50T back sprocket on your XR250, the new L runs a 40T so you could change to one of those or source a bigger front sprocket which is easier to change and if you go up only 1 or 2 T you can usually get away without changing the chain. My old XR I used to run 13T trail and 15T road. The L is 13/40 so I've bought a 48 for it plus longer chain in case I do take it heavy trail riding - haven't ever fitted it yet because the chain guide on the L also needs changing to take the bigger sprocket.

I still reckon that once you've done the rides on the old XR when you get the DRZ's you won't be impressed in the end. The XR has a much lazier vibration and smoother engine than the buzzy Suzuki and if you can cure the sticky throttle problem you are a whizz

Zukin
31st July 2006, 11:58
I still reckon that once you've done the rides on the old XR when you get the DRZ's you won't be impressed in the end. The XR has a much lazier vibration and smoother engine than the buzzy Suzuki and if you can cure the sticky throttle problem you are a whizz

HAHA - You are like the little Energizer Bunny, just doesnt give up!!! :first:

The new 07 model DRZ will be much better, so I will reserve judgement until they arrive :yes: (thats what we are waiting for)

Cheers Scott

Zukin
31st July 2006, 12:02
Now you are confusing me with all this sprocket stuff:gob:

So I have on my bike now a 13/48

So the bigger the front sprocket the higher the gear
and the same by changing to a smaller sprocket on the rear?

So when you as 48, I take it thats the teeth on the sprocket? what is T mean after some of the sizes you refer too?

So maybe I go to a 13/40, what sort of RPM/speed does this give me/

Cheers

merv
31st July 2006, 12:05
Just T for teeth. See if you can get a 14 or 15 for the front of your XR I reckon that would do it - cheaper than changing the back sprocket and the chain.

As for the 2007 DRZ is it the usual a different paint job? - that will make all the difference.

clint640
31st July 2006, 12:12
So where are we going on the 25th? I've got that weekend free...

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
31st July 2006, 12:26
Hey there

Probably around the East Cape, then up to the Coromandel??
Thats the rough plan??

Cheers

merv
31st July 2006, 14:39
My comments above on gearing were initially about the Suzuki which is why we might have sounded a tad confused but once you confirmed in post 8 it was the Honda I then talked about that. Does that help? So all the earlier talk about 14/42 etc is about the Suzuki.

Zukin
31st July 2006, 14:53
Cheers for that :yes:

So I think a good compromise is a 14/48?
Hows does that sound?

Cheers Scott

Zukin
31st July 2006, 21:42
Well there is less than 3 weeks until I set off on a mini adventure ride:yes:

4 days of riding around the North Island somewhere

I will add my progress on this topic, the experts on here may not find it very interesting, but the noobs like myself may find some use out of it.

So how is the setup going:wait:

Attached is a photo of the XR250 as stock standard.
On the weekend I installed the 15 litre fuel tank and checked over a few mechanical things, all looks good!

Next on the list
Feet - Yep I have decided on the Tyres, I will put MT21's front and rear (due to the fact I cant ride fast and they are only on an XR250 so I should get some good mileage).
Gearing - I will change the front sprocket to a 14, that should help me out on the road.
Racks - I will install the Ventura Rack system and then weld some loops down the side for the panniers.

I will load a photo of the progress as it happens :yes:

Cheers Scott

far queue
31st July 2006, 22:05
I will add my progress on this topic, the experts on here may not find it very interesting, but the noobs like myself may find some use out of it.I don't know how you class someone as an expert, but there's always an opportunity to learn from others. Sometimes new people can come up with new ideas and achieve new things because no one told them it couldn't be done. You seem to be doing well and have certainly done plenty of planning. Good on ya for getting out there and doing it. I'm looking forward to reading your progress reports and seeing the pics.

merv
31st July 2006, 22:09
Cheers for that :yes:

So I think a good compromise is a 14/48?
Hows does that sound?

Cheers Scott

OK you want some figures:

XR250 on stock 13/48 sprocket combo and 120 or 4.60 rear tyre at 9,000rpm will be doing 118km/hr or 7,600rpm at 100km/hr.

On 14/48 combo this translates to 127km/hr at 9k or 7,100rpm at 100km/hr roughly, so it'll knock 500rpm off the engine speed at the legal limit making for an easier and probably more economical ride.

If you could fit a 15 front sprocket that translates to 136km/hr at 9k or 6,600rpm at 100km/hr. This compares to the 13/40 combo that the new L runs giving 142km/hr or 6,300rpm at 100km/hr. Even at that the Honda because of its superior gear spread still has a first gear way lower than the DRZ allowing you to get into some tight going with ease if you go off road.

I presume your Mrs is missing this first trip. Let me know if you are coming close to Welly early in the trip, remembering I'm off to Adelaide after the 27th.

You never did tell me how tall your Mrs was. Stock seat height on a DRZ250 is 890mm compared to 875mm on the XR250L though I presume the latest Suzuki still has the adjustable rear shock mount allowing you to drop it 40mm.

The pics of your XR makes it look like its pretty good for its age.

Noob or not I'm happy to read your stories.

Zukin
1st August 2006, 08:45
I presume your Mrs is missing this first trip. Let me know if you are coming close to Welly early in the trip, remembering I'm off to Adelaide after the 27th.

You never did tell me how tall your Mrs was. Stock seat height on a DRZ250 is 890mm compared to 875mm on the XR250L though I presume the latest Suzuki still has the adjustable rear shock mount allowing you to drop it 40mm.

The pics of your XR makes it look like its pretty good for its age.

Noob or not I'm happy to read your stories.

She is about 160cm tall and is as light as a feather, but she is reasonably strong (see attached photo, she in the one on the side:gob: )

She wont be going on the August trip as I only decided to go a few weeks back (in the middle of changing jobs) and the other reason in the DRZ's wont have arrived in time.

Cheers

far queue
1st August 2006, 17:54
She is about 160cm tall and is as light as a feather, but she is reasonably strong (see attached photo, she in the one on the side:gob: )
Christ, bugger that for a lark. I've watched those mad buggers and always cringe. But good on her, she must have big balls :doobey:

Zukin
1st August 2006, 22:31
Well the Ventura rack system arrived, so I installed that.
Man those guys make it so easy, a few bolts here and there and its installed.
I decided to go with the sports rack instead of the pack rack, just to keep the height down a bit.

Whilst I had the guards off, I made a holder for my fly tent poles :yes:
Why do you ask? As my tent is only small, I hate it when it rains and rains, so I will be taking a fly with my poles, so I can make a shelter that I can stand in if the weather turns bad.
The idea is to attach one end of the fly to the bike then drape it over the bike and the two poles at either end of the fly, the other side is pegged to the ground...Thats the idea anyway:wait:

I semi packed everything on including some panniers I found in the shop today, they were kind enough to loan them to me to try :yes:
Seemed to work ok, now I just have to make a loop system to stop the bag getting near the exhaust.

I will post some photos on the weekend

Cheers

Wolf
2nd August 2006, 12:42
I semi packed everything on including some panniers I found in the shop today, they were kind enough to loan them to me to try :yes:
So did you lie it down, try to pick it up and work out what stuff to leave behind? ;)

Zukin
2nd August 2006, 13:59
Haha - Nope not yet, but then again I do travel light anyway:yes:

I went with slightly smaller panniers, so I cant overload them, the only thing I haven't really accounted for is if I have to remove clothing for whatever reason, I may not have room in my panniers to put it anywhere :wait: But then again I will probalby take a small dry sack, so that I have a place to stash things and at the same time it will allow for easy access.

Scott

Zukin
3rd August 2006, 10:44
Hi All

I am struggling with the racks to mount onto the XR

I have attached 2 pictures below
1. Is a picture of a similar bike with the Ventura rack on it, I need to add some pannier racks to the side, and because I am not mechanically minded, I am struggling to see how to fit some up

2. Is a picture of the same bike but with an idea of how I would like the panniers. (yellow square)

or

3. Is the same picture but with a different design?

Now I like Clints Idea, but again I am stuggling to see how to mount them onto the side securely?? (Dont suppose you have a closer image Clint?)

You will see on the XR, there isnt really anwhere on the frame to bolt anything to (there are no passenger footpeg holes) there are the exhaust mounts on one side, but my concern is will the heat transfer up the rack?

There are two bolts (allen key heads) that hold the side plastics on, maybe I could use something here??
The only other option is to use a clamping system onto the frame (by the engine) and also onto the Ventrua rack system? Would this be ok? But again I cant see how to build this.

I welcome any suggestions :wait:

Cheers Scott

clint640
7th August 2006, 09:36
For the front mount on my pannier rails I used the pax footpeg mount. It looks like the lower bolt on the sidepanel might be in the best place for you - if it is strong enough. You could also just get a tab welded onto the frame, best to get it done by a certified welder in case you get asked for a cert at wof time but if you make it look factory it probably won't be noticed. In the rear I'd go for a socket on the ventura bar that the side rail fits into & is held in by an R clip or similar.

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
7th August 2006, 16:57
Thanks Clint

Are you still keen to meet up at the end of August to join in my ride?
Do you have to work on the Friday? If you do I could meet you somewhere on Friday night or Sat?

Cheers Scott

clint640
8th August 2006, 07:49
Thanks Clint

Are you still keen to meet up at the end of August to join in my ride?
Do you have to work on the Friday? If you do I could meet you somewhere on Friday night or Sat?

Cheers Scott

Yep, still keen. Hopefully we'll be able to hook up Friday night. A workmate might be having his leaving do that night however so it may be Saturday, I'll find out & let you know.

Cheers
Clint

Zukin
9th August 2006, 15:52
Greetings

Well I thought about putting this under the suspension topic, but then I thought the others may not understand what I am trying to ask (then again I dont think I know anyway :blah: )

I have set the XR up for my adventure ride at the end of August.
Now whilst I think I am travelling light, the bike doesnt think so!!:nono:
So with the extra weight on the bum, should I adjust the suspension?

If your answer is yes - then what should I do? Wind it down or up?
Do I need to adjust the front?

So many questions!!!:wait:

Cheers Scott

merv
9th August 2006, 19:59
All you'll need to do is wind on a bit more preload on the back shock - if it feels bouncy then stiffen up the damping by adjusting it a bit too. Don't bother touching the front - it should be fine.

To adjust the preload loosen off the lock thingy, if you've got the C-spanners use them if they fit, if not just use a punch and hammer to bang it around - munts the thing a bit so try to go easy, then use the same tools to tighten up the spring and then finish by tightening up the lock thingy again.

While I say use C-spanners if you've got them, I have a set but the '83 XR200RD was the last bike I owned that you could use them on without having to remove something like the airbox. My late model bikes all have stuff in the way so I've resorted to be a butcher with hammer and punch these days because I usually only adjust them rarely. It would be nice if dirt bikes had an easy preload adjuster like my VFR has. On that you just put a small socket on and wind it around as it has a cable driven adjuster.

p.s what should we call the adjuster thingys on shocks - they aren't really nuts as such but castellated threaded rings?

warewolf
10th August 2006, 11:06
p.s what should we call the adjuster thingys on shocks - they aren't really nuts as such but castellated threaded rings?Give an Irishman three shovels and tell him to take his pick!

Spiral Spring Plate and Spring Retaining Plate

Adjusting Ring and Locking Ring

Lower Ring and Upper RingAn easy way to turn the adjuster is to grab hold of the spring and turn the whole thing, the adjuster will move with it.

merv
10th August 2006, 12:32
An easy way to turn the adjuster is to grab hold of the spring and turn the whole thing, the adjuster will move with it.

This surprised me because I've never had a bike that will do that - grab the spring and all that happens is the spring turns - I guess your's can't be locked very well then.

Zukin
10th August 2006, 13:31
Bloody Marvellous Guys!!:yes:

But
How do I know how much to wind it down??
Sorry probably a dumb question, but I need to ask

I found this site (http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/suspensionbasics.html) which I think explains it?

In a nutshell the more I wind it down, does it raise or lower the ride height?
And the damper adjustment, the harder I make it the harder the ride right and and its stops the bouncing?

merv
10th August 2006, 14:01
Bloody Marvellous Guys!!:yes:

But
How do I know how much to wind it down??
Sorry probably a dumb question, but I need to ask

I found this site (http://www.crustyquinns.com/tech/suspensionbasics.html) which I think explains it?

In a nutshell the more I wind it down, does it raise or lower the ride height?
And the damper adjustment, the harder I make it the harder the ride right and and its stops the bouncing?

Your adjuster is on top of the spring isn't it? Wind it down it will tighten the spring and raise the ride height.

How much? Depends on your load so just wind it until you are happy - as a guess, taking it down about 15mm I would think is all you would need.

With the damping I'd say adjust you spring first, take it for a ride, if it feels OK you could leave it alone, if not try it about a couple of clicks harder, I doubt you'd need much more than that.

I've never carried as much stuff as you are talking about so generally I've set my dirt bikes to suit my height and weight and then never adjusted them again because they are such a prick to change - remembering my comments about C-spanners versus hammer and punch.

In the old days of twin shock bikes if I had Mrs merv on the back I would click the preload adjusters around two notches because they were easy to change. We didn't have the luxury of damping adjustment then and they were fine just with the extra preload.

warewolf
10th August 2006, 15:00
This surprised me because I've never had a bike that will do that - grab the spring and all that happens is the spring turns - I guess your's can't be locked very well then.Err, I omitted the prior instruction that says, "back off the locking ring out of the way" as I felt that was obvious. Mea culpa.

All I'm saying is that the adjuster ring is not the only thing that you can manipulate: if it is too stiff, hard to get to, or just plain awkward. Try any combination of adjuster only, spring only, or adjuster and spring together. Whatever works for you.

Oh, and if we're dotting i's and crossing t's for n00bs, it is easier if you fully extend the shock before making the adjustment. That is, get the rear wheel off the ground.

Wolf
10th August 2006, 15:26
Oh, and if we're dotting i's and crossing t's for n00bs, it is easier if you fully extend the shock before making the adjustment. That is, get the rear wheel off the ground.
That's the bit I thought was obvious...

Bit of an arse to do on bikes that do not have centre stands, though.

Zukin
14th August 2006, 17:31
Vist here to see it in its stock form

Feet - Yep I have put on the Tyres, They are MT21's front and rear (due to the fact I cant ride fast and they are only on an XR250 so I should get some good mileage).
Intially they feel very good, the hum that is typical of knobblies isnt really noticeable, and much better on the road
Gearing - I have changed the front sprocket to a 14, I dont think a 15 would allow me to get top gear in a head wind. It is a vast improvement though (Thanks Merv) :yes:
Racks - I have installed the Ventura Rack system, I decided on the sports rack so I wasnt too high.

Next - Sort out the pannier racks, I think I know what I want but I need to someone to bend them and put them on :wait:

Here are some updated photos
1. The new MT21
2. Side profile
3. The Navigational aid :yes:
4. The Rack
5. The 15 litre tank

Cheers Scott

Wolf
14th August 2006, 18:32
Feet - Yep I have put on the Tyres, They are MT21's front and rear (due to the fact I cant ride fast and they are only on an XR250 so I should get some good mileage).
Intially they feel very good, the hum that is typical of knobblies isnt really noticeable, and much better on the road
Gearing - I have changed the front sprocket to a 14, I dont think a 15 would allow me to get top gear in a head wind. It is a vast improvement though (Thanks Merv) :yes:
Racks - I have installed the Ventura Rack system, I decided on the sports rack so I wasnt too high.

Next - Sort out the pannier racks, I think I know what I want but I need to someone to bend them and put them on :wait:

Here are some updated photos
1. The new MT21
2. Side profile
3. The Navigational aid :yes:
4. The Rack
5. The 15 litre tank

Cheers Scott
Looks bloody wicked, Scott! A serious touring machine!

I have plenty of tail rack options including one that I could bloody-near stick a house on, plenty of options for tyres, GPS is very do-able (I even have access to step-by-step installation instructions with more illustrations than you'd ever want), sprockets are not an issue, custom seat mods likewise, larger foot-pegs - the list goes on, courtesy of the thriving XT225 forum and its talented members. We even have a guy experimenting with fitting a tacho.

The one thing I can't source is a larger tank. 8.8 litres is it. Unless I carry additional fuel canisters strapped to the rack or the frame.

merv
14th August 2006, 18:58
Cheers Scott

OK sounds like you are happy with the gearing. I'm sure it would have been OK with a 15 if it fitted because it would have still been slightly lower geared than my L stock and you have a higher power engine on the R model. Basically you don't necessarily need to worry whether you are in top gear, just change into 5th if the going gets tough.

Zukin
21st August 2006, 14:36
Hi All

I have posted a thread in the tech section and wondered if anyone here has has a similar problem??
You can read the post here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=726077#post726077)
And more importantly, how do I fix it?

Cheers Scott

Zukin
27th August 2006, 23:07
Hey all

Yeah I know, I was not supposed to be back for another day, but I needed to get back to repair the bike after the fire :gob:

Still that happened on the first day, and that was not going to put me off the trip :yes:
Still I managed the East Cape and Coromandel, so I am happy about that!!

It was good, I will post a report and pics up in the next few days, but first I have to find some parts to repair my bike before this weekend:yes:

Cheers Scott

Ghost Lemur
28th August 2006, 01:20
Fire??? Do tell.