PDA

View Full Version : Rev counter problem

hXc
28th July 2006, 08:04
Well the other day I was sitting at 100k's and I look down at speedo and rev counter to find that the needle of the rev counter is sitting PAST 14,000. I listen carefully, to find that the engine note is fine, but the needle is still not where it should be.

At 100k's in 6th gear, the needle should be showing 9-10,000. Now the needle sits past 14,000, which is the end of the red line.

It doesn't do it all the time, but the majority of the time it does. I also noticed that when it's idling, the needle is pointing at about 3-4,000. It should be pointing at 1,500.

Anyone know what the problem is, and how I can fix it. By the way, it's an electronic counter, not mechanical.

bugjuice
28th July 2006, 08:07
does it sound like it's actually revving that high, or the needle is saying it's that high? You'd know if it was idling at 3g vs 1500..

and the revs at 100k's would only change if you've changed the drive ratio, ie put a larger sprocket on the back or dropped a tooth on the front

hXc
28th July 2006, 08:30
does it sound like it's actually revving that high, or the needle is saying it's that high? You'd know if it was idling at 3g vs 1500..

and the revs at 100k's would only change if you've changed the drive ratio, ie put a larger sprocket on the back or dropped a tooth on the front
As I stated above: It's only the needle. The engine note is how it should be, but the needle is pointing way too high.

I haven't changed anything like that.

bugjuice
28th July 2006, 19:38
ok, well to a point, ignore what the needle says, cos the bike isn't dying. It could just be a dirty pick up on the connector. You'd best be trying to find a wiring diagram for the bike, and tracing the plugs in the engine.. for a start..

WINJA
28th July 2006, 19:41
last time i had this it was a loose battery terminal

Korea
28th July 2006, 20:01
It's not a Yamaha is it? Because those new R6's rev all the way up to 17,000rpm!

insert Tui here...

nadroj
28th July 2006, 21:39
Loose wire or dirty connection.