PDA

View Full Version : Lost Key

bluninja
22nd April 2003, 13:36
Bugger, bugger, bugger ! Went to ride the Aprilia yesterday and couldn't find the key. Wasn't in it's normal place....or the other places I stash it......a full scale search didn't find it, so no ride. Where's the spare you ask ? Well some thieving git stole my bike jacket with key in a year ago and I haven't got round to replacing it.

So today after another good search I still can't find the damn thing, so I call AMPS to order a new one. 4 WEEKS for a key!!!! They can get me some blanks, but a locksmith said they'd need 3-4 and lots of time to create one by inserting them in the locks and gradually cutting a new one.

I think it will be a midnight call to the UK to see if their dealerships can source a key any quicker.

So if you are down to your last key, make sure you get a spare made up. It's a lot easier than trying to get a new one from the manufacturer.

PS if anyone knows a good way around this let me know (other than breaking the steering lock and hotwiring it)

TTFN

bikerboy
22nd April 2003, 17:26
I hope it is covered by the warranty or not too expensive.

When that happened to me the key cost $1000.00 to replace and recode the immobilizer (for my car). Thank goodness it was covered by the warranty.!

It also took four weeks from Germany.

Best of luck:rolleyes:

SPman
22nd April 2003, 19:16
Your bikes not going to suddenly become involved in high speed road activity, is it Bn???

Sorry officer, it couldnt be me, I have lost all my keys and heres the proof.........:rolleyes:

Slim
23rd April 2003, 01:09
There should be a code (number) somewhere on the ignition. With this code (assuming that you've got a normal key, and not a special barrel-type one or anything odd like that) and the correct blank, any locksmith should be able to cut you a new one. They simply have to refer to their book, or get the Aprilia importer to provide the cut depths/sequence from the code off your ignition & voila!

Try the locksmiths at 601 Dominion Rd (Key 'n' Lock Services/Chubb), because I know they've done cutting to code in the past.

bluninja
23rd April 2003, 08:42
Thanks chaps. As for the key code...I have it logged with the chassis and engine numbers. However Aprilia doesn't pop on the locksmiths key lists, so the only option they suggested was get some blanks and they would manually create it from the barrel. Needs 4-5 blanks and a fair bit of time.

Lucky I still have the SV (lost a key to that too, 1 left...is there a theme to this?)

SPman, I'm not quite that devious:p

TTFN

SPman
23rd April 2003, 18:27
You Sure ??????    :eek:

bluninja
4th May 2003, 12:01
Well, I found my key !!! It was in a video box!! I now have some blanks and a working key, just need to put everything back on the bike and away we go.

SP I'm SURE I'm not THAT devious.

TTFN

Slim
4th May 2003, 15:07
I forgot to tell you earlier, that any lost items (most often keys) are always to be found in the last place you look.

;)

SPman
4th May 2003, 17:03
If only they could be in the 1st ! :p

bluninja
4th May 2003, 18:02
SLIM, I wasn't actually looking for the key, I was emptying video cases to take for an expo display. I'd already looked in the last place :D

Would you believe the video was about personal success:cool:

TTFN

Slim
5th May 2003, 08:47
Originally posted by bluninja
Would you believe the video was about personal success:cool:

PMSL :stupid: (Kidding!!!)

Coldkiwi
5th May 2003, 12:28
of course it's in the last place you look... or you wouldn't bloody keep looking would ya!? :P

wkid_one
5th May 2003, 13:10
There is a moral to that story - HAVE AN EFFIN SPARE!

Maha
27th February 2007, 20:20
Bugger, bugger, bugger ! Went to ride the Aprilia yesterday and couldn't find the key. Wasn't in it's normal place....or the other places I stash it

Found the key yet ??.....good luck with that aye?...

sunhuntin
27th February 2007, 20:54
LOL...sorry, had to laugh. how the helld it get in a video box??
ive got spares, but no clue where they are.

had an incident a few weeks back with mums car... she loaded her bags in the back, and chucked her keys in with it. slammed the boot, looks at me... wheres my keys?
i used to have a spare, but misplaced it eons ago. luckily, my insurance has call outs on it, similar to aa, and they allowed me to use my last call out for mum. thankfully, i gave her my old cell phone, and she just happened to have it in her bag. even better, she normally leaves the bag in the car and just takes her wallet. lmfao.

marty
27th February 2007, 20:55
i hope so, that was 4 years and 12000 miles ago!

bluninja
27th February 2007, 21:19
The key is on my desk in front of me....my 2 spares are in the filing cabinet....my personal success tape is on the bookshelf...the bike is in the garage having a day off....only 420 miles left of riding this week.

Sniper
27th February 2007, 21:44
Found the key yet ??.....good luck with that aye?...

:killingme :killingme :killingme :killingme

You twit