PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle certification - Where in Aucks?

Brett
28th July 2006, 23:06
I finally have my other ZXR road ready(other than paint). I had Mt Eden do the brake certificate for me today, now i just need to get it registered/complied.
Can anyone recommend somewhere that is not gonna charge me an arm and a leg? I know VTNZ do them, or at least the one in manukau does, but they charge bucket loads.
I obviously want someone that is going to confirm that the bike is legit, but i also don't want to go somewhere that will charge me like im a foreigner or get too anal over the inspection.

Any recommendations out there?

Motu
28th July 2006, 23:33
Is your life cheap too?

R6_kid
28th July 2006, 23:49
i went to onroad new zealand to get mine done (they have a place in glenfield) was $150 for the VIN inspection (incl wof) + rego costs, but thats going from memory.

Basically there arent many places that are going to do a 100% job on it, if you have your brakes 'certified' then thats a hell of a lot more than i had done to mine. I left the place knowing that my headlights were aiming high, i had no steering stoppers, i had a pillion seat with no pillion pegs, and one of the engine mount bolts were missing (which i obviously sorted out anyway).

Anyway my saying is "a man who does not trust his work should not be trusted", if your doing it to be legit then all good, if you think/know that something isnt up to scratch then get it sorted regardless of what they tell you.

texmo
29th July 2006, 00:57
302 great north road opposite red baron. cant rember how much it costs. you got my number brett give me a yell, I am in the same building as the place that does it.

Brett
29th July 2006, 09:54
Is your life cheap too?

My life is my most valuable asset.

Brett
29th July 2006, 09:57
i went to onroad new zealand to get mine done (they have a place in glenfield) was $150 for the VIN inspection (incl wof) + rego costs, but thats going from memory.

Basically there arent many places that are going to do a 100% job on it, if you have your brakes 'certified' then thats a hell of a lot more than i had done to mine. I left the place knowing that my headlights were aiming high, i had no steering stoppers, i had a pillion seat with no pillion pegs, and one of the engine mount bolts were missing (which i obviously sorted out anyway).

Anyway my saying is "a man who does not trust his work should not be trusted", if your doing it to be legit then all good, if you think/know that something isnt up to scratch then get it sorted regardless of what they tell you.

$150 sounds pretty good. My brother paid $400 for his, i just don't want to pay that much if i dont have to.
There has not been very much structural on the bike to do, only cosmetic...and anything that do, i do very well with money not being the main factor. You cant cut corners on motorbikes...cheap could = death. I just want someone who will confirm that it is sweet in writing...obviously i cant comply my own bike since i am not qualified.

Brett
29th July 2006, 09:57
302 great north road opposite red baron. cant rember how much it costs. you got my number brett give me a yell, I am in the same building as the place that does it.

Sweet bro, sounds like an idea. I will give you a yell.

texmo
29th July 2006, 13:17
$150 sounds pretty good. My brother paid $400 for his, i just don't want to pay that much if i dont have to.
There has not been very much structural on the bike to do, only cosmetic...and anything that do, i do very well with money not being the main factor. You cant cut corners on motorbikes...cheap could = death. I just want someone who will confirm that it is sweet in writing...obviously i cant comply my own bike since i am not qualified.
$400 probbly inculdes rego might have been a rereg? your bike was deregistered right?

crazybigal
29th July 2006, 13:50
yeah but that was prob with 1 years rego on it, otherwise he got ripped!
standard vin is normally $100 and if they need to send it out for brakes testing at another place they will charge you for that as well.

[QUOTE=Brett]$150 sounds pretty good. My brother paid $400 for his, i just don't want to pay that much if i dont have to.

texmo
29th July 2006, 14:25
what do you mean send it out for brak testing? all it has to do is stop withing 7meters at 30km/hr if the pads need replacing then the bike needs new pads with a brake declaration.

Brett
30th July 2006, 13:44
what do you mean send it out for brak testing? all it has to do is stop withing 7meters at 30km/hr if the pads need replacing then the bike needs new pads with a brake declaration.

Had to have a mechanics - i.e. Mt Eden MC, do a brake compliance inspection. Maybe a new thing? I know my bro didn't have to get one either...

texmo
30th July 2006, 18:50
Had to have a mechanics - i.e. Mt Eden MC, do a brake compliance inspection
nah they dont.

Brett
31st July 2006, 16:02
nah they dont.

Maybe i got fed BS then...oh well, at least I have confirmed on paper that the brakes are sweet. Of course, i also dont have that hundy anymore either.:bye:

Brett
31st July 2006, 16:32
Just spoke with VINZ...and yes, it is a requirement to get a brake declaration form completed by another crowd.

texmo
31st July 2006, 16:50
Just spoke with VINZ...and yes, it is a requirement to get a brake declaration form completed by another crowd.
if your bike needs new pads or rotors.

Brett
31st July 2006, 17:00
That is what the inspection was for, to determine whether the pads and rotors are acceptable...supposedly. Maybe most places offer to do this as part of the compliance?