PDA

View Full Version : HELP fxr150 electric start problem

takethis
29th July 2006, 14:49
hi all
my bike refuse to electric start even in a warm day or after riding for a while
so now i can only use my kick start
the battery is fine and the bike is charging the battery
someone said the problem could be the starter motor (make sense to me)
however, will there be some other possibilities that cause this problem?
thank heaps for the help

jeremysprite
29th July 2006, 22:30
yeah i've had a few problems starting using the lekky start in the past
A)The battery was kaput, dead, broken.
B)The battery was drained.
C)The main electric thing that plugs into the back of my screen was disconnected? (I think that was one)
D)The electric cabling for the electric starter was left unjoined
E)The killswitch was on

So obviously A,B, probably C and hopefully E aren't your problems.
Check D.
Again.
Otherwise, if your fxr is particularly old, done a few k's, then it could open up a few more possibilities eg the wiring that comes out by steering column is crushed by said steering and is frayed.

Lights, screen, killswitch all working?

takethis
30th July 2006, 21:51
hi jeremysprite, thanks for the help
i hope it's only the cable thing, as you said.
it was working just few days ago.
my light and dashboard light was flashing
and they stop flshing when i give it some gas.
not sure why? :(

is your bike fxr too?
becoz im not sure where my starter motor is located.
is that under the fuel tank?

skidMark
31st July 2006, 15:11
i can come have a look at it for you tonight if you like...?

brngiton@hotmail.com email and msn messenger....

or send me a private message on here... try get back to me as soon as you can.

can bring out my trusty multimeter and have a looksy

jeremysprite
1st August 2006, 13:35
Your dash was flashing? Yup I had that problem too, broken battery. The dash is all running off the engines generator power, which isn't a real consistent flow of electricity, so the thing flashes and dies etc. I bought a new battery, a cheap $60 one from taiwan. They're special batteries, you'll have to get a bike shop to order one prolly (well, cromwell didnt stock them, but then again, my house is biggern the cromwell shop), and they have to charge it, fill the acid levels up or whatever. When i fit the new battery it was all sweet.

Now my cheap $60 taiwanese battery is dead, cause the bikes been sitting, waiting, wishing for a coupla months. You get what you pay for.
JS

takethis
2nd August 2006, 19:09
bro thanks been buzy of moving the house these days
i brought it to mechanism and he found out that battery was not fully charged. so he just help me charge it, the bike is all sweet now thanks for da help. jeremysprite, thanks to u, much appreciated

Flyingpony
3rd August 2006, 09:13
Now my cheap $60 taiwanese battery is dead, cause the bikes been sitting, waiting, wishing for a coupla months. You get what you pay for.

Even the $120 Yusa (sp) go lame after a bike has been sitting idle for two months ... and these are the batteries so many people and bike shops recommend too!

Don't think it's the brand, think it's bike batteries in general. Had my car Champion battery go flat 3 times in one year - only tried to use it three times that year too :whistle: When the car went back into regular weekly usage the battery worked fine for over 12 months before I sold said car.

Now when my bike is looking at not being used for more than several weeks, the battery gets disconnected for good measure. I also employ the kick start on first attempt so battery doesn't get stressed by electric start. Touch wood, it's all good thus far.