PDA

View Full Version : Wolf's "Adventure Ride"

Wolf
29th July 2006, 17:52
Just got back from a 148km ride about an hour and a half ago - lovely fine day for a ride and I wanted to go somewhere scenic to take some pics and put the XT and myself through our paces.

I took River Road to Ngaruawahia then took Waingaro Rd into Hakarimata Range, up past Waingaro Hot Pools onto Highway22, took Otorohaea Trig Rd to get to Rotowaro Rd, went through Rotowaro then took Waikokowai Rd thru Waikokowai to Rotongaro, took Rotongaro Rd past Lake Rotongaro to Glen Murray Rd and Rangiriri, returned home via Te Ohaki Rd to Huntly West and Riverview Rd (becomes Hakarimata Rd) to Ngaruawahia and River Road back to Hamilton.

I'll write a full ride report later and post pics but at the moment I'm too tired to think straight and I'm looking after the cubs.

Edit: Added the link up here (http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/jon_tocker/hakarimata/hakarimata01.htm) so you don't have to hunt for it in the later posts.

degrom
29th July 2006, 17:53
Can't wait to see the pictures!!!

Motu
29th July 2006, 18:07
That's my ''round the block'' ride from Huntly...or atleast variations of.Otorohaea Trig road is my closest and most fun gravel road,fine gravel and fairly slippery.The others are just perfect - take em fast,take em slow,it doesn't matter.Great to see you getting out there at last.

Wolf
29th July 2006, 18:47
That's my ''round the block'' ride from Huntly...or atleast variations of.Otorohaea Trig road is my closest and most fun gravel road,fine gravel and fairly slippery.The others are just perfect - take em fast,take em slow,it doesn't matter.Great to see you getting out there at last.
If I'd realised you were so close I would've PMed you and asked if you were free for a ride today - you could've a) shown me how it's done and b) had a great laugh at my expense.

All three people I had hoped would be in for a ride today were unavailable so I wound up going on my own.

Stopped at a friend's house at Waikokowai and had a coffee or two and a chat so it was a fairly leisurely ride what with slowing for unfamiliar roads, stopping to take pics, crawling along Otorohaea Trig Rd mostly in first and second (got into third a couple of times :eek: ), stopping off at the "Waikokowai Coffee Shop".

Haven't ridden out to Waingaro for ages - not since my uncle sold his farm - so I was a trifle slow on it.

Te Ohaki and Hakarimata Rds, however, I know very well so I picked up the pace somewhat.

merv
29th July 2006, 18:49
Good on ya mate and yeah a bit far away for me to join you this time.

Wolf
29th July 2006, 18:54
Good on ya mate and yeah a bit far away for me to join you this time.
Zukin was looking for places to ride and people to ride with but he was a bit far away, too...

Ghost Lemur
30th July 2006, 00:05
Sounds like you had a blast in Motu's backyard.

*Waits for the pics and full write up*

Wolf
30th July 2006, 18:57
OK, here it is (http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/jon_tocker/hakarimata/hakarimata01.htm), such as it is.

And no, I didn't bother photoshopping out my rego - since the report and pics are hosted on a site that has my real name on it, I didn't see the point.

Edbear
30th July 2006, 19:04
29 km/l...! How can you afford to run it, Wolf!? The fuel companies just won't like you at all - that's cheating!

BTW great report and nice looking bike, too damn clean though!:first:

merv
30th July 2006, 19:14
Those certainly are roadie tyres you've got on that and the back brake rod is installed at an interesting angle with the lever at the back rotated to the top.

Keep enjoying your riding.

Wolf
30th July 2006, 19:20
Those certainly are roadie tyres you've got on that and the back brake rod is installed at an interesting angle with the lever at the back rotated to the top.

Keep enjoying your riding.
The tyres are Pirelli Scorpion MT90 A/Ts - mostly road biased but aparently OK on hard earth and gravel as well.

The brake rod and lever were set that way prior to me purchasing the bike. It is, however, a common modification as it moves the lever up out of the way of rocks and other obstructions on or near the ground.

Ghost Lemur
30th July 2006, 21:21
Cheers for the write up and pics Wolf.

crashe
30th July 2006, 21:33
Great write up and choice pictures......:first:

strayjuliet
30th July 2006, 22:40
Glad you enjoyed your ride hon, but just 1 thing....

NEXT TIME TAKE ME.

Wolf
30th July 2006, 22:43
Glad you enjoyed your ride hon, but just 1 thing....

NEXT TIME TAKE ME.
Come, now, be practical. You know we'd never fit the cubs into the packs...

SDU
1st August 2006, 12:49
Good write up & pics Wolf. The XT group would love the lingo help.

You know you have only a few choices now.
A to get a sidechair for the cubs
B Another XT for SJ & C get a babysitter.

Wolf
1st August 2006, 13:04
Good write up & pics Wolf. The XT group would love the lingo help.
Montana Tracy reckoned the soundbites were "a hoot". Blue has been practising Maori pronunciation.

Don't really see a side car fitting on the XT so the second XT and the babysitter seem the most practical solutions.

Zukin
1st August 2006, 13:07
Hi there

Yes I agree it was a good writeup:yes:

Wolf if you are about on the weekend of the 26th & 27th August, let me know, I maybe heading away for a few days and it would be good to catch up for a day or two of riding.

Not sure where I am going yet, but will decide soon.

Cheers Scott

Wolf
1st August 2006, 15:00
Hi there

Yes I agree it was a good writeup:yes:

Wolf if you are about on the weekend of the 26th & 27th August, let me know, I maybe heading away for a few days and it would be good to catch up for a day or two of riding.

Not sure where I am going yet, but will decide soon.

Cheers Scott
I'm sure I can organise to be about for at least part of that weekend if you're heading up. Hope you're OK with riding slow :laugh:

Zukin
1st August 2006, 15:09
I'm sure I can organise to be about for at least part of that weekend if you're heading up. Hope you're OK with riding slow :laugh:

Haha - That will make two of us :yes:

I will be on the 250, and a novice at that too :)
So it could become NZ's slowest adventure ride....... :first:

Ixion
1st August 2006, 15:27
Montana Tracy reckoned the soundbites were "a hoot". Blue has been practising Maori pronunciation.

Don't really see a side car fitting on the XT so the second XT and the babysitter seem the most practical solutions.

Trailer. Sorted. Mr Motu was at one point contemplating fitting his strange sidebox thing onto his XT5 1/2 .

Wolf
1st August 2006, 15:41
So it could become NZ's slowest adventure ride.......
No, I'm sure that happened on Saturday...

Wolf
1st August 2006, 15:44
Trailer. Sorted.
Can't put the kids in a trailer, Ix, 'twould be illegal.

I suppose strayjuliet and the cubs could have followed in the car - NZ's Smallest Group Ride: one bike and the sweep car...

strayjuliet
3rd August 2006, 00:23
Can't put the kids in a trailer, Ix, 'twould be illegal.

I suppose strayjuliet and the cubs could have followed in the car - NZ's Smallest Group Ride: one bike and the sweep car...

When I said next time take me I meant on the bike not as a sweep car, if we have to take the car for "sweep" duty your driving. (while I ride).... Booking in for my bike licence just as soon as wolf gives me the money for it. lol

Lias
3rd August 2006, 09:25
When I said next time take me I meant on the bike not as a sweep car, if we have to take the car for "sweep" duty your driving. (while I ride).... Booking in for my bike licence just as soon as wolf gives me the money for it. lol
There's a perfectly good massage parlour down the rd, earn your own license money!

Wolf
3rd August 2006, 10:15
There's a perfectly good massage parlour down the rd, earn your own license money!
Nah, we don't want your money, mate.

Ghost Lemur
3rd August 2006, 10:20

So on one hand he could give you the money for the licence, and have to stay home with cubs while you're out on YOUR bike having fun.

Or... He could not give you the money. Leave you at home (or bring you in as a sweeper) and continue to "test" your bike. Making sure it stays in good well run shape for that day when you do have your licence.

:blip:

strayjuliet
3rd August 2006, 10:22

Why earn it when Wolf gives it to me anyway?? I prefer to get money off my husband, after all that's what he's there for lol.

strayjuliet
3rd August 2006, 10:22

Why earn it when Wolf gives it to me anyway?? I prefer to get money off my husband, after all that's what he's there for lol. :nya: