PDA

View Full Version : Dodging Plug Fouling

Huntaway
29th July 2006, 22:27
Had trouble recently with fouled plugs in the R6 causing misfiring. Had a new set installed about 4 k ago and damned if it isn't doing it again. Was running sweet until tonight too.
My bike is my main ride and I have noticed this "cooler" weather the engine temp often struggles to get to 70oC even on long rides. Summertime it usually runs a steady 80oC.
Should I be running a hotter plug wintertime or screening some of the radiator when its cold maybe?
Other thing is that I usually fill at my local brand A petrol station. Filled with brand B last night and have to wonder that the problem has resurfaced so suddenly.

scumdog
29th July 2006, 23:49
I would go back to your previous brand of fuel since that is the only change you have made - and see what happens.

If no better I'd check thermostat and see if it is working.

Hotter plugs may help but it's a bit of a Band-aid fix and should not be needed.

Crappy fuel is the No.1 suspect here.

Huntaway
5th August 2006, 22:22
Thanks for the thoughts Scumdog. Had the R6 out again today, which was almost spring weather, and noticed the temp gauge running nearer its normal level, so probably not the thermostat, though had wondered on that. Gladly the misfiring has ceased so maybe it was a combination of fuel quality and ambient temperature. I'll avoid the suspect brand for a while and see how the bike goes.

I've recently discovered my suspension sweet spot and right now the R6 is a joy to ride! Turns and tracks well, tyres glue to the road and the frame movement is balanced. Love it! Its been a long journey getting there but well worth the patience!

Regards to Chrissy Bimbo

scumdog
5th August 2006, 22:38
Good one Huntaway, nice to know your scoot is running like it's meant to.

Shame no Einstien on this site could offer you a solution as to why the bike started playing up.