PDA

View Full Version : Race report. (The Peoples Hero)

White trash
8th June 2004, 07:55
"I've crashed my bike!" was the opening statement of Johanns call to me on Saturday afternoon. "I can't talk long, I've got to go back out to the track and find my instrument pannel"

That sums it up really. One rooted GSX-R600K4 and a beaming, "nothing-ever-fazes-me" Bruns.

Thankfully, Johann has some pretty understanding sponsers and a shedload of dedicated mechanics and fabricators to ensure a quick rebuild for the next round of the winter series at Manfield on the 26th.

merv
8th June 2004, 07:58
Bummer!!!!

FROSTY
8th June 2004, 08:13
looks a shit load worse in ya picture than in real life but sheesh thats a lot of breakage

Cajun
8th June 2004, 10:07
Yeah it looked bad, its only the rear sub frame??

Alot of smoke came off it, after the crash was that just raditor?? or something worse??

He still didn't look to worryed, afterwards he looked like he was having a nice 'talk' to an offical

Good to see a bike like mine on the track, they sound do different to last year model, alot more tinny sounding

Deano
8th June 2004, 11:04
Bugger - how was he going up till then or was it the first race ?

Smoke from the radiator Cajun ? (lol)

Cajun
8th June 2004, 11:49
He was doing quiet good, bike sounded awsome.

Bloody kawka took him out. they always getting in the way those green machines.

hahaha Deano that teach me to post a message, while not really reading what my fingers are typing, was on phone to someone helping them fix a problem with there pc

k14
8th June 2004, 11:55
Ohh guttered. Whats the damage?? Got a few more pics?

White trash
8th June 2004, 13:44
After the clean up, that's really all thats major.

Cajun, the "smoke" was from a cracked engine cover leaking oil onto the hot exhaust.

Cajun
8th June 2004, 14:54
sweet thats not to bad then.

FROSTY
8th June 2004, 15:15
hey WT --did it end up being a weld up job or is it replacement time?

Andrew
8th June 2004, 23:43
After the clean up, that's really all thats major.

Cajun, the "smoke" was from a cracked engine <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=cover&v=55">cover</a> leaking oil onto the hot exhaust.

Yea all I could see was just heaps of smoke. Glad that you've got it sorted. :niceone:

LB
9th June 2004, 05:57
It was a very spectacular crash to see, I'm just so glad they both walked away as they went down very hard. Next worry was Johann's bike going up in flames - luckily it stopped at smoke.

Hamish went and found his instrument cluster (in two bits, 20m apart!) during the next race.

Looking fwd to seeing him back in action on the 26th.

Racey Rider
9th June 2004, 08:19
Bloody kawka took him out.

And what of the Kawasaki?
Picked it up and still came home second I'll bet.
Built tough those Kawasaki's! :niceone:

they always getting in the way those green machines.

You an't seen nothin' till I get out there! :wacko:

White trash
9th June 2004, 08:23
Bloody kawka took him out.

If Johann hadn't been leaning on Carey, Carey wouldn't have lost the front. Unfortunately, the more aggressive you are, the more you stand to loose.

Slim
9th June 2004, 10:04
[COLOR=Blue]And what of the Kawasaki?
Picked it up and still came home second I'll bet.
Hmmmm.......... Nope! :p They were both ute'd back to the pits together. :p

Looked like a couple of the bolts on that wee engine cover were sheared off, the forks were possibly twisted in the triple clamps (hopefully not bent - it did go end over end! :shit: ) and the rear subframe was toast. Not sure about bars, but brake & clutch levers were still intact, as was the front brake master cylinder. Oil was sprayed all up the tank and also a bit on Johanns leathers.

He came off with "only" a grazed/friction burn on his left elbow, although that looked like it was swelling up nicely after he got out of his leathers, and a sore left shoulder. I imagine he was very stiff the next day.

Mitch
9th June 2004, 12:10
If Johann hadn't been leaning on Carey, Carey wouldn't have lost the front. Unfortunately, the more aggressive you are, the more you stand to loose.

Well said WT. Was a great weekend racing and there was really no innocent victim in Johann and Carey's crash. When your that good and ride that hard it's not a question of who is going to give and let the other one through, neither one of them gave an inch and unfortunitly they went down.
Was some fantastic racing in the laps that led up to the crash!!!!!
The lead changed several times and both of the guys were riding REALLY well!!!!

Motoracer................ That was the debut of the century mate!!!!!
You have some serious talent and I don't doubt that you will go along way if you stick at it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Motoracer
9th June 2004, 12:16
Motoracer................ That was the debut of the century mate!!!!!
You have some serious talent and I don't doubt that you will go along way if you stick at it!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanx Mitch! It was really awesome to see you and KK battle it out as well!!

Cajun
9th June 2004, 12:22
It was great seeing everyone out there, damn me for getting rid of my 93 zxr400 18 months ago, i should have keeped it and raced it,

merv
9th June 2004, 20:04
Hey WT, what's the boss call the People's Hero?

Other than Expensive that is.

SPman
9th June 2004, 20:30
Well said WT. Was a great weekend racing and there was really no innocent victim in Johann and Carey's crash. When your that good and ride that hard it's not a question of who is going to give and let the other one through, neither one of them gave an inch and unfortunitly they went down. ...........
Quote of the day on the RT, when the Marshall said they were both OK, was " Check to see if they've got any brains left between their ears!" :bleh:
They were both racing hard fast and furious - good to watch.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2203

LB
10th June 2004, 05:34
Great shot SPMan!

White trash
10th June 2004, 07:21
Hey WT, what's the boss call the People's Hero?

Other than Expensive that is.

Did you not watch the Holden Memorial races at Wanganui, Merv?

The whole crowd was on their feet going nuts. Then for the next two weeks, about 30-40 letters and e-mails poured in from people who'd never met him but were stoked he'd done so well.

Very humbling for the big guy, I tell ya.

Cajun
10th June 2004, 07:45
thats an awsome shot SPman

merv
10th June 2004, 09:03
Did you not watch the Holden Memorial races at Wanganui, Merv?

The whole crowd was on their feet going nuts. Then for the next two weeks, about 30-40 letters and e-mails poured in from people who'd never met him but were stoked he'd done so well.

Very humbling for the big guy, I tell ya.

Yeah agreed, I was just wondering how the boss reacts to a binned bike, or does he just take it in his stride as part of the cost of racing.

To me the most famous Wgtn Motorcycles incident was Robert Holden putting his bike through the Holden sign at the end of the back straight at Manfield and then talking to the TV crews about how he'd scraped his brand new leathers. Lynda will remember the year - I'd be guessing about '84.

LB
11th June 2004, 05:32
To me the most famous Wgtn Motorcycles incident was Robert Holden putting his bike through the Holden sign at the end of the back straight at Manfield and then talking to the TV crews about how he'd scraped his brand new leathers. Lynda will remember the year - I'd be guessing about '84.

Yeah, that was a very spectacular crash indeed - I remember it well. Yep, it would have been around '85 I think. Maybe '86?

White trash
11th June 2004, 07:42
Pre 85 I think. Robert was riding a GSX not a GSXR, so maybe '84?

I don't really know, bit before my time :baby:

merv
11th June 2004, 08:02
That's what I was guessing as it was on the old fully faired GSX1100 the big touring looking model they raced before the GSXR750 was launched in 1985. The joys of the 16" front wheel and low-siding eh!