PDA

View Full Version : Popped my Wheelie Cherry!!!

sndrmn
30th July 2006, 16:24
Wahoooo!!! I can pull wheelies now....
Ok ok...its not the stand up 100km + wheelies. Just the little power wheelies in first gear. I decided to go for (and ignore the fear of dropping my new bike....maybe then I could see if the crash bungs work...hehe).

After a few squirts nothing happened...kept giving it a little more and more until PRESTO....the front comes up.....some more and then the tank seems to float upwards at me......hold onto it for a little while and thud back down to earth at 99ks.....haha.....
Mmm I went down by seaview cause its industrial and no ppl...going up and down and this old guy comes out of this industrial garage in his slippers and night gown wavinvg the fingers at me....haha...I prob woke him up reeeving the crap out fo the kawa!!!

Wicked....I spent the next half hour going up the Lower Hutt motorway pulling my little power wheelies at the lights...haha....man that sure put a smile on my DIAL!!!

Anyways once I get more confident and get used to the sensation I will get onto clutching it! oh yeah!!!!

But yeah just had to post something......

tl_tub
30th July 2006, 16:35
Let me know when your doing it next and ill take some pics so you can see how high your getting and how puckered up your face is :yes:

APPLE
30th July 2006, 17:06
welldone superman.keep practising.....

sndrmn
30th July 2006, 18:09
Let me know when your doing it next and ill take some pics so you can see how high your getting and how puckered up your face is :yes:

Haha.....sweet.....might wear my iridum visor....that way no-one will see my fear!!!

limbimtimwim
30th July 2006, 18:11
Fun :yes: :yes:

See, you didn't need that thou..

shafty
1st August 2006, 20:02
How did ya do it Superman? Dump the clutch in 1st? Slip the clutch?

sndrmn
2nd August 2006, 00:29
How did ya do it Superman? Dump the clutch in 1st? Slip the clutch?

Just kept reving 1st gear out until the front lifted then the whole bike (or so it seemed). Just getting used to that feeling. Slipping the clutch will be the next step after I learn a bit of throttle control.

Zed
2nd August 2006, 00:55
Just kept reving 1st gear out until the front lifted then the whole bike (or so it seemed). Just getting used to that feeling. Slipping the clutch will be the next step after I learn a bit of throttle control.You should stick with the 1st gear lifts for a while and work on your technique: While in 1st gear you should be able to bring the front up quite high if you ride somewhere between 6-8000rpm and release the throttle for a split second so you feel the forks load, then throttle on hard again giving the bars a lift or tug (bumping/bouncing it up) as you accelerate which should bring the front up nicely, from there it's working on throttle control and gear changing. I don't recommend clutching it up, too unpredictable, and especially when learning them on a new Kwaka 636!

What will make it much easier is to change the gearing on your bike, dropping 1 tooth off the front stock sprocket is a big help, and adding some teeth on the rear will make a huge difference...if you can afford it.

Be safe out there and don't be an idiot k. :bye:

sndrmn
2nd August 2006, 01:24
Cheers Zed....yeah will stick to the first gear stuff for a while. From reading on the net, i see clutching makes the front come up a bit more violently. Last thing I want is to hurt myself or someone else if i stuff it up!

Will try what you said this weekend if its nice weather.

At the mo I ain't got no money :( saving up for my wedding in April 07! So won't doing much to the bike.

Zedd I assume your technique work if I have a full tank of petrol?
I tried to pull some power wheelies after I filled up and the front wheel lifted a bit but the bike did'nt really "stand up" like when the tank was emptyish....I realise its a weight thing.

Zed
2nd August 2006, 01:39
At the mo I ain't got no money :( saving up for my wedding in April 07! So won't doing much to the bike.Least you will still have the bike dude! I had to sell mine when I got married lol.

Zedd I assume your technique work if I have a full tank of petrol? I tried to pull some power wheelies after I filled up and the front wheel lifted a bit but the bike did'nt really "stand up" like when the tank was emptyish....I realise its a weight thing. Nah, I'm inclined to think it's more in your mind than in the level of the tank. Of course there will be a weight difference but I don't think you'd even notice it, would hardly effect the wheelie methinks...I should check it out on my bike?

sndrmn
2nd August 2006, 09:19
Least you will still have the bike dude! I had to sell mine when I got married lol.

Oh stink mate, that must have sucked! I told her there was no way I was selling my beast to pay for wedding stuff....haha.....nah shes really understanding, she would not make me sell my bike.

But Ppl keep telling me that its only a matter of time before "my soon to be wife" will make me sell it.......time will tell

kiwifruit
2nd August 2006, 09:41
nice work :D

Biohazard
2nd August 2006, 09:50
Haha.....sweet.....might wear my iridum visor....that way no-one will see my fear!!!

It may hide your fear.....but we can still smell it :sick:

Sparky Bills
2nd August 2006, 10:10
Good stuff!
Little bit at a time, get higher as you get confortable. Theres no rush is there..

Just ALWAYS cover that rear brake!
an look out for copas etc.

Have fun!

sndrmn
2nd August 2006, 11:17
It may hide your fear.....but we can still smell it :sick:

You been near my leathers then have yah? Damn I thought no-one noticed... was airing them out in the garage :rolleyes:

Biohazard
2nd August 2006, 11:22
You been near my leathers then have yah? Damn I thought no-one noticed... was airing them out in the garage :rolleyes:

Its coz ya left the garage door open and it wofted out too the hills :blip:

texmo
2nd August 2006, 11:25
Good stuff!
Little bit at a time, get higher as you get confortable. Theres no rush is there..

Just ALWAYS cover that rear brake!
an look out for copas etc.

Have fun!
I keep hearing this cover the rear brake, I saved my self once or twice on the scooter but thats an auto. I havent heard of anyone saving a "oh fuck" moment on a motorbike.

Zed
2nd August 2006, 11:35
I keep hearing this cover the rear brake, I saved my self once or twice on the scooter but thats an auto. I havent heard of anyone saving a "oh fuck" moment on a motorbike.Different strokes for different folks, personally I don't give the rear brake a thought...if throttling off doesn't bring the front down then i've gone past the point of no return - 12 oclock!

texmo
2nd August 2006, 11:47
you binned a wheelie yet zed?

Zed
2nd August 2006, 15:47
you binned a wheelie yet zed?Yeah once a coupla weeks ago outside TL's house, twas quite funny too!

texmo
2nd August 2006, 17:08
not on the 954 then?

Zed
2nd August 2006, 17:13
not on the 954 then?Nah mate, couldn't find balance point on the Street Magic lol!

texmo
2nd August 2006, 17:27
haha yeah, there aint a balance point you need to use the rear brake.