PDA

View Full Version : Can a Katana do it?

Ozzie
30th July 2006, 17:37
Ok, seen heaps of people do wheelies, and I wanna give it a go.

I know f all about my bike, so given the oil thing, the fact it is heavy and no crotch rocket, will it actually do it? And without dieing in the process (saving me spilling it of course :innocent: )

froggyfrenchman
30th July 2006, 17:50
Short answer... Yes with an if.
Long answer... No with a but.

Its not the best bike to be teaching yourself to wheelie on by any stretch, however some of the more experianced riders could do it.

My advice would be to start out on a 50cc or dirt bike if you have never wheelied before. Also remember, when learning wheelies on anything... you will fall off and it will hurt.

Thats just my $2.75.

Ozzie
30th July 2006, 17:58
thanks froggy, would a 50cc pull my fat ass off the ground?

182cm, 105kg?????

98tls
30th July 2006, 17:59
yes it will...........will be very expensive to learn to wheelie on that bike..as above get an old trail bike or similar to learn...you will fall off.

Edbear
30th July 2006, 18:41
Thats just my $2.75.

Damn inflation!!!!:doobey:

froggyfrenchman
30th July 2006, 18:45
Damn inflation!!!!:doobey:

When was the last time you could spend 2c in cash? Before i was born, i think

Edbear
30th July 2006, 18:47
When was the last time you could spend 2c in cash? Before i was born, i think

LOL!!!! You'd be surprised what you could get for 2c back in the day...!:second:

bugjuice
30th July 2006, 19:08
with balls, almost anything can wheelie. Just don't be stupid about it, and you'll be fine. I learnt to wheelie on the 636 more than any other bike, and that's one thing I really don't want to chuck down the road. Just start small and take note of what's happening. The first couple of inches are the hardest to get up, then it gets easier after that. So, just start small and slow. Go first gear 20-30k, and just clutch it up a tiny amount. Then move on from there. It'll most likely be a little jerky, but just smooth it out and work on it over time. no need to rush it. And, you'll be nowhere near as high as you think you will be..

Ozzie
30th July 2006, 19:19
thanks heaps.

It isnt the balance i am worried about, it is flipping it, and the landing that concerns me, from a spill perspective.

From the bike perspective, i read the thread on how to, it said a lot about the make up of the bike, and starving it of oil, that is probably my bigest concern.

bugjuice
30th July 2006, 19:22
doing 100k wheelies for a few k's will starve the bike of oil. by the sounds of it, that's not really a problem at the mo. The worst thing you can do is get it up too high and drop the front heavy. So work on bringing it down gently. Best trick for that is not to ride the rev range out when you start keeping it up for a bit longer. Let the front come down under acceleration so that it has a softer landing than shutting off the throttle or bouncing it off the redline. But those are also huge wheelies that you'd break something. Starting out, you don't have too much to worry about aside from your own fear. Get some time with someone who knows a bit or a lot already, and get tips in person, that'll be a good start.

McJim
30th July 2006, 19:29
Theoretically it should be possible to pop a wheelie on just about anything. considering I've seen 90kg riders pop wheelies on Mountain Bikes (yep - the ones with pedals not engines) and ride 500metres without dropping the front wheel - if it's anything like popping a wheelie on a bicycle it just involves a low gear, a bit of torque, excellent clutch control and a bit of an upwards tug on the handlebars as you go. Get someone to video your early attempts by the way - I'd love to watch!

Ozzie
30th July 2006, 19:37
Get someone to video your early attempts by the way - I'd love to watch!

Jeeze, thanks!

98tls
30th July 2006, 19:39
DO NOT....i repeat DO NOT do what i did....showing off as i entered the caves resturant carpark in kaikoura i wheelied a TT500 straight into a trailer..wasnt pretty at all and it hurt.

sndrmn
30th July 2006, 22:42
Dude I am a wheelie novice I am learning on a brand spanker ZX6R.....sure I am worried about dropping it. Only today I overcame my fear and actually got the front lifting.... (wicked feeling). But like u I've been doing all the reading on the net etc. Just don't try too much too soon.....actually the best vid I found on wheeling is this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6656191590638402466&q=wheelie

I just followed what he says. Hope it helps