PDA

View Full Version : Hmm, I couldn't post in here before. Now I can

Ixion
30th July 2006, 19:45
Tis good to be back on a big single. Bit different to the old Velo, mind, but a thumper none the less.

Stupid headlamp can't be turned off, I'll sort THAT who would be stupid enough to do such a thing on an off roader.

And the tyres are Bridgestone "Trail King" Which apart froma naff name, look suspiciously like the old Trail Universal of unlamented memory. Anyone had any experience of them. Are they as crap as they look, they're not proper knobblies.

Alas, nothing in life come swithout sacrifice, and so Ratty's going on the block. A pity I shall miss the little fellow.

Edbear
30th July 2006, 19:49
A big single what?

Ixion
30th July 2006, 19:54
Oh. I forgot that. One of these. XT600.

I don't like not having a kickstart , either. Does anyone know if the earlier kickstart can be retrofitted. The boss still looks to be there, blanked off with a plug.

Wolf
30th July 2006, 20:16
Oh. I forgot that. One of these. XT600.

I don't like not having a kickstart , either. Does anyone know if the earlier kickstart can be retrofitted. The boss still looks to be there, blanked off with a plug.
I know you can get kick-start kits for the XT225 so they may well make one for the 600.

Do a search of Yamaha's accessories.

Motu
30th July 2006, 21:23
Oooooo - good one! A kickstart can be fiited,but you need a few parts - the thing itself which is gears and springs and stuff,it stays all together....drop it into the hole.An idler gear on the end of the final drive shaft,just remove the spacer and fit the gear - it meshes with a gear on the back of the clutch hub.You also need a peg for the return spring...this is what stopped me,I couldn't get the peg out of the SRX case.I guess I could make one,but I needed to get the bike back into one piece.I don't really mind the missing kickstarter,I figure I can always push it....

Tyres - now you are going to kick yourself for getting a dual purpose,read all the tyre threads....it's your biggest focus,the thing that charactises the bike,alters it from one thing to another.Tyres,tyres,tyres.....adventure bike hell.

Looking forward to crossing paths in the middle of nowhere....

Wolf
30th July 2006, 22:20
Having both is the best. Save your battery and start on the kick. If you regularly use the battery and it goes flat, you have the kick start in reserve. And if your bike stalls in a knotty place where trying to kick start would send you tumbling into oblivion, a quick push of the electric start should get you going again.