PDA

View Full Version : M3 BMW vs Falcon XR8 vs 919 Nana

skelstar
30th July 2006, 20:34
In a couple of weeks Im going to have a go on Manfield with a mate and some of his mates. My mate drives a 2006 Falcon XR8, one of his mates (the organiser) has just bought a BMW M3 (2003 maybe).

My question is: how do you reckon Ill go?

For those that dont know me, or havent had the pleasure of riding with me, Im a pretty conservative rider. Im faster on the road than on the track (I dont know :weird:), but not that fast on the road. Im too sensible...but given the right motivation I may be able to pull out a hottish lap (maybe if there were hot chicks watching).

Im more worried about the M3 than the XR8. I think my mate in the XR8 will be cautious (as well), but M3 guy...I havent met. M3's handle pretty well too I hear ;).

So I reckon that Ill be faster out of the corners, but cornering speed will be down, but better under brakes...crikey. This paragraph is flavoured with optimism.

I could go on the track at the same time, behind the cars not infront, but probably will be on a time-trial basis.

What do you reckon? :)

Finn
30th July 2006, 20:49
I'd be careful on the track with two inexperienced car drivers. You don't want to be mixing it up with them two in the corners. However, if it's an off the line start, I'd nail it and just make sure you keep in front.

I'd put my money on the M3. It'll piss all over that piece of shit Ford and if he's good he'll get you on the corners.

RantyDave
30th July 2006, 20:51
Honestly, I reckon you're going to have to f'kin gun it. Performance car brakes and cornering are way ahead of what can be done with a bike - although obviously the bike accelerates way harder. The other thing is that the car boyos have less to lose in terms of broken ribs etc. if they do have a velocity related incident.

On the plus side, give them something to aim for and they'll be looking at a grand a head for new tyres at the end of the day. Gnaaaaa!

Can be done. Going to be tight. When is it again?

Dave

skelstar
30th July 2006, 20:51
Yeah, I appreciate the 'danger'. Thats why I think I would stay behind them for the most part, but would LOVE to nail it past them on an exit of a corner.:blip:

skelstar
30th July 2006, 20:52
In a couple of weeks maybe.

RantyDave
30th July 2006, 20:54
I'd put my money on the M3. It'll piss all over that piece of shit Ford
You saying that an XR8 is a modified taxi, perchance?

Dave

degrom
30th July 2006, 20:55
I feel the same!!! In the strights you will burn the M3 but he might just eat your ass in the corners.

The German wheels are blasting fast but they don't come with a auto pilate... LOL

Do you want to make it fun? As the M3 driver to take off all the electronics... He might just not make the first corner with all that over steer!!!

Finn
30th July 2006, 20:58
You saying that an XR8 is a modified taxi, perchance?

Dave

No, I believe they are the same.

skelstar
30th July 2006, 20:59
degrom: I might just have to ask him that LOL!!!

betti
30th July 2006, 21:01
bmw m3 0-60mph 5.5 seconds.....
nail it off the line he won't catch ya.

Finn
30th July 2006, 21:03
degrom: I might just have to ask him that LOL!!!

He'll actually be faster with DSC turned off anyway. With a 50/50 weight distribution, good rubber and that wizzie diff, if he's any good it should be close.

I used to own an M3. Excellent track car.

skelstar
30th July 2006, 21:06
Im guessing he still has to be good though.
Im sure I do more 'track time' on the road/takas than (just about) anyone can do in an M3. Esp one hes just bought :devil2:

Marknz
Recipe for disaster mate, and you'll probably find that the Manfield staff won't let you three on the track at the same time.

degrom
He'll actually be faster with DSC turned off anyway. With a 50/50 weight distribution, good rubber and that wizzie diff, if he's any good it should be close.

I used to own an M3. Excellent track car.

The M3 is amazing... I wonder why the Germans don't build more bikes with all that knowledge?

Good luck with the race and let us know how it went!!!
(Please don't let the caged people win!!!)

Mooch
30th July 2006, 21:10
Based on what your saying I'll put you and the M3 (e46) in low 1:20's . (Providing the M3 guy/girl can drive). Watch out in the in field or do timed sessions without the cars.

The Xr8 will be good for about 1 1/2 - 2 laps before the standard brake pads / disc combo start to fade badly ... My guess would be high 20's low 30's.

skelstar
30th July 2006, 21:11
Do my best Finn.

skelstar
30th July 2006, 21:13
1:20 soounds a bit optimistic for me. What are F3 times like (I will be slower, but its a known quantity)?

The_Dover
30th July 2006, 21:22
if you can't beat a couple of homo's in hairdressers cars then give up now bro.

Timber020
30th July 2006, 21:28
M3 is going to breakfast the rest of you, I used to race porsches on my RGV around taupo, the thing is that car drivers often dont know how big or close they are and dont like the idea of getting scratches. if you want to win your going to have to keep close to them and keep them wide, screw with there lines and late apex, this way your can dictate the race how you want it to be, a HP match.
for christ sake dont try to match anything that they do because its like trying to chase a guy on ice when he has spiked shoes. sure you can get up speed but he can slow and change direction like you can only dream of. If they are infront of you try to ignore them, dont take there braking points into consideration, they might be about to crash. just ride your own race unless you start to get to close.

My sensible side says just let them go and stay clear, but how did we ever get quick or have fun being sensible?

skelstar
30th July 2006, 21:32
T20 - I know what you mean. Get infront and weave like a bastard?:)
Again, it would be good just to shadow, then blast them on the exit. Thats all that they will care about I reckon. Straightline speed.

Toast
30th July 2006, 22:16
Honestly, I reckon you're going to have to f'kin gun it. Performance car brakes and cornering are way ahead of what can be done with a bike - although obviously the bike accelerates way harder. The other thing is that the car boyos have less to lose in terms of broken ribs etc. if they do have a velocity related incident.

On the plus side, give them something to aim for and they'll be looking at a grand a head for new tyres at the end of the day. Gnaaaaa!

Can be done. Going to be tight. When is it again?

Dave

Ah, good old bike vs. car, just waht I feel like.

With average Joes going at it, it comes down to the relative skill of each more than the vehicle.

With Andrew Stroud going at it on a road bike vs. Greg Murphy in a road car, it's no contest, the bike will destroy the car.

A Careera Cup driver told me that the top dudes can get 1:05ish around Puke from a GT3 RS in road trim. Stroud gets sub-60 on a standard K5 I'm told.

The brakes and cornering of road cars are better, but not that much better if you can exploit what the bike has, which most of us can't really.

Compare the times of the race version of each (bike and car) to their road equivalents though, and you see that the bikes are really pushing the envelope of the grip that two wheels can generate.

Have fun on the track Skels, but focus on what you're doing, not what you'd like to be doing (on one wheel out of the corner around the outside :) )

skelstar
30th July 2006, 22:21
Cheers...its going to be bloody fun.
If I beat the XR8 then Ill be happy.

kiwifruit
30th July 2006, 22:24
you should have a good shot at cleaning up i recon
i dont think its a good idea if you are all out there together, could get messy....
time trail would be sweet

lettuce know how you get on!

skelstar
30th July 2006, 22:36
Well I reckon Ill sound the best anyway :).

mikey
30th July 2006, 22:38
can i come?

skelstar
30th July 2006, 22:40
You be watching.
I thought I be hearing from you soon enough Mikey...;)

Kornholio
30th July 2006, 22:44
Im picking you'll get run over....Hope ya dont tho.

slowpoke
30th July 2006, 22:46
can i come?

I bet you say that to all the girls....

slowpoke
30th July 2006, 22:57
Yep, the M3 is awesome and your main threat. We had an old e36 M3 in Oz and even with just 215kw it was a quick car, the faster it went the better it got.
You don't say how old the XR8 is but if it's a relatively new one then it ain't gonna be slow.
As per previous posts/threads it's really gonna come down to driver/rider comparison rather than machinery comparison. Your bike should be quicker but the "pucker factor" is gonna be the limiting thing. With limited track time you'll be worried about damaging the bike and/or yourself if everything goes horizontal whereas even an inexperienced driver will be able to push it much harder with only having to worry about a spin.
Good luck tho' bro, how's about racing for rego's to really make it interesting, haha.....

mikey
30th July 2006, 23:19
I bet you say that to all the girls....

i dont ask.

anyway, when is this track day? got it cleared with track peopel that you'll be out with the cars? sounds like a fuckload of fun, when i asked if i could go out with the v8's last open day i was looked at like i was an idiot

VasalineWarrior
30th July 2006, 23:39
Yeah il come and cheer. Even if you are on a honda

StoneChucker
31st July 2006, 00:35
I'd be careful on the track with two inexperienced car drivers. You don't want to be mixing it up with them two in the corners. However, if it's an off the line start, I'd nail it and just make sure you keep in front.

I'd put my money on the M3. It'll piss all over that piece of shit Ford and if he's good he'll get you on the corners.

haha

I find it funny when "hard, staunch" Holden supporters knock Fords AND vice versa...

Buying a new Ford or Holden, for me anyway, came down to looks and technology... I want a car that it up with technology in all areas. Take Holdens for example, the LATEST 2006 VZ Holden Commodore SS has a FOUR speed automatic transmission! I mean come on, that is detrimental not only to acceleration in all ranges, but also fuel economy on highway driving...

I like my ZF SIX speed automatic transmission, with dynamic sequential automatic, performance dynamic auto or performance tiptronic user modes! Not to mention, CERTAIN Holden salesmen are arrogant arseholes. Even though it would have been a waste of money so I'm glad I have what I do now, a certain Wgtn Holden HSV branch salesman quite possibly lost out on a sale, all because I didn't secrete bank note dye from my pores. Hell, even if you think someone might be wasting your time, keep that to yourself for heavens sake.:whocares:

Zapf
31st July 2006, 00:58
can I bring another Hornet down too? :wait: :innocent:

Korea
31st July 2006, 01:52
Diceing with cars on a racetrack, eh?
Sounds like a recipe for disaster ~ do it, do it! :doobey:
Just ride within your limits. If your limits are faster than theirs, cool.
But take it easy, Mmmkay?

Insanity_rules
31st July 2006, 07:23
Love to see the event. Shall we do a ride up and cheer on our boy? Do us proud Skel.

Lou Girardin
31st July 2006, 08:34
The Top Gear test between a CBR600RR and an Aerial Atom(?) resulted a a narrow win for the car. The Beemer is nowhere near as fast as one of those track day specials.
The question is how much difference there is between a CBR and a Hornet.

frogfeaturesFZR
31st July 2006, 08:40
It was a R1 I think Lou !

Lou Girardin
31st July 2006, 09:01
It was a R1 I think Lou !

The one I saw was a 600. I was surprised that it annihilated the car off the line.

Finn
31st July 2006, 09:01
haha

I find it funny when "hard, staunch" Holden supporters knock Fords AND vice versa...

You seemed to have confused me with the masses of brainless kiwi's that follow mass produced, shit box, Australian built motor cars with a passion that is only rivalled by that sport of inbreeds chasing a leather ball around a field.

My life is not so meaningless that I have to pledge elegance to a particular car manufacturer. I respect (for example) the M3 because for it's engineering excellence and development. 343 bhp out of a naturally aspirated 3.2 inline six, I mean come on!

In future, please remember me as refined, educated and throw in an enormous amount of intelligence. That's me.

Lou Girardin
31st July 2006, 09:02
The M3 is amazing... I wonder why the Germans don't build more bikes with all that knowledge?

Good luck with the race and let us know how it went!!!
(Please don't let the caged people win!!!)

You want a bike with electronic everything?

skelstar
31st July 2006, 09:10
Well...

Its not a track day as such, its a 'private session'. There will be other 'mates of mates' there with cars but Im sure the M3 will be the quickest. The XR8 is a 2006. Its not a SVO but I think maybe its the 260kW one. Bonnet bulge but no stripes down the side. Its black for the girls reading this.

It would be quite cool to have someone else there just to calm my nerves! KS will tell you that Im going to over-analyse this thing :). The hooligan in me wants to teach these cagers a lesson on power to weight ratio!

Ive always been in awe of the M3. Its quite amazing how much grunt they can get out of 3.2l and not resort to turbos or superchargers. The aussie rockets to seem to rely on displacement alot.

Sparky Bills
31st July 2006, 09:19
Sounds like it could be a fun day.
Keep us informed of the happenings.

cowpoos
31st July 2006, 09:54
sorri bro...but you'll get your arse handed to you on a plate skel!!! you might beat the xr8 if your lucky....

degrom
31st July 2006, 12:13
You want a bike with electronic everything?

If it will make me look like a world champion... Why not!!!

RantyDave
31st July 2006, 14:31
The one I saw was a 600. I was surprised that it annihilated the car off the line.
I saw that too. It was a 600 and it did completely destroy the car off the line but lost the plot utterly round corners.

Lesson for skelstar: how about you do best of three, one at a time (so you don't get munched), and from a standing start.

Dave

skelstar
31st July 2006, 14:51
I think a standing start is a bad idea. Im not that flash off the line. BUt Im sure id be quicker.

I think a standing start against my mate (XR8) anyway, just to prove a point.

sAsLEX
31st July 2006, 15:11
Ok the dudes in Aussy did this on a car show the other day, timed not a race as thats just dumb!

I have the link for you here http://outlet.shafted.com.au/fc/The_Car_Show_675_vs_FP6.wmv

as I posted in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32753&highlight=675+instruction

Link is a twenty minute vid of two joe averages racing a FPV ford thingo against a 675. Both av joes and the bike wins easily. Bring in two racers to coach the two for a new hot lap. Bike wins. Racers go out on their own . Bike wins

Vid is about 20 minutes and a good watch, I would recommend it skel

skelstar
31st July 2006, 15:20
Cheers dude. Might have a watch when I get home and 'broadbanded'.

RantyDave
You would recommend it in a kind of "ignore the superbike instructor guy pranging a 675 a 200kph" kinda way?

Still, not going to happen to skel, is it? No no no no no. No skidding arse first down the road as his pride and joy visits gravel and tyres. Won't happen.

Dave

sAsLEX
Cheers dude. Might have a watch when I get home and 'broadbanded'.

What good is the work connection if you dont use it just a little?

skelstar
31st July 2006, 15:21
They dont even like me using it a little.

I assume my pride and joy is my bike eh Ranty ;)

RantyDave
31st July 2006, 15:25
I assume my pride and joy is my bike eh Ranty
Ah, yeah, I guess the bike will scrape down the road a bit too.

God, I must do some work....

Dave

sAsLEX
31st July 2006, 18:42
You would recommend it in a kind of "ignore the superbike instructor guy pranging a 675 a 200kph" kinda way?

Still, not going to happen to skel, is it? No no no no no. No skidding arse first down the road as his pride and joy visits gravel and tyres. Won't happen.

Dave

Did you watch the whole 20 min vid? Only the racer really pushing it put it down! The normal average joe didn't and still beat the car quite respectably!

mikey
31st July 2006, 18:49
if you got broad band go onto google video an have a look at some of the nurembugerRING videos, the 12minute track one, where the woman beats clarkson in a van, bikes and cars go on it at same time. think" ghost who isnt a ghost rider" has been there an a local dealt to his legend status.

heaps of different paced riders/drivers on all sorts of machines so sometimes cars win sometimes bikes.

but at manfield, its goign to be a personal vendetta of you vs your mates. bikes vs cars.

ill come up and watch/ then race the winner!

onearmedbandit
31st July 2006, 19:06
Fuck, any decent driver with 'local' knowledge of the 'ring will destroy most 'legends' mikey, fuck me the track has about 147 corners. Try learning that in an afternoon.

RantyDave
31st July 2006, 19:21
fuck me the track has about 147 corners. Try learning that in an afternoon.
Two words: Gran Turismo. Took me a couple of weeks, but I know the bastard inside and out. Now there is only the minor question of getting good at riding and going to Germany :)

Dave

Toast
31st July 2006, 19:32

That guy rode like a nana...typical Clarkson, stacking the odds in his favour.

I think that the supercharged Atom they had, had a similar power-to-weight ratio as the bike once you add the people piloting each of them in to the equation...very quick car.

Leong
31st July 2006, 19:58
Will be an interesting day for sure skelstar!! I've done a few trackdays in a 2004 M3 and it's MUCH easier to get 90% out of that car than 60% out of my bike. My guess is it'll depend on how brave you are going thru the sweeper, otherwise the M3 will probably get you round the infield.

Be careful if you do get out on the track with the cars..... In a car it feels comfortable to be only a few cms from another car travelling the same direction/speed..... don't think I'd like a car that close to me. Interesting to hear your report after the day!!

skelstar
31st July 2006, 20:11
Im pretty keen to findout too. Reckon youre right though...the sweeper is the key.

onearmedbandit
31st July 2006, 20:15
Two words: Gran Turismo. Took me a couple of weeks, but I know the bastard inside and out. Now there is only the minor question of getting good at riding and going to Germany :)

Dave

Two weeks. And I bet that on your first lap around (and many more after) you'll feel lost. The awe of the place, the track surface, the other traffic (everything from hi-po race cars through to tour buses), weather, etc will throw all your track knowledge into disarray.

skelstar
31st July 2006, 20:18
...and you wont be sitting in your favourite chair sipping your zap and wearing your favourite rocket-ship undies.

Marknz
31st July 2006, 20:32
Ok the dudes in Aussy did this on a car show the other day, timed not a race as thats just dumb!

I have the link for you here http://outlet.shafted.com.au/fc/The_Car_Show_675_vs_FP6.wmv

as I posted in http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=32753&highlight=675+instruction

Link is a twenty minute vid of two joe averages racing a FPV ford thingo against a 675. Both av joes and the bike wins easily. Bring in two racers to coach the two for a new hot lap. Bike wins. Racers go out on their own . Bike wins

You gotta remember too that that test was done at Phillip Island which gives the bike a lot more chances to get away from the cars before the two tight corners, Honda and MG. You've only got those three pissy little straights at Manfield to try and either get away from them or pass. And the rider of that 675 ain't no mug, despite the spill on cold tyres.

Patch
31st July 2006, 20:50
Crikey, thats almost worth the trip down to whoop some german ass. Hell, if a tricked out government ford can't catch me, what chance does a std 8 have. An M3, hmmmmmm farkin tempting.

Hav fun Skel, lucky bastard. Its not everyday you get a chance to whoop a cage fair 'n' square and legally.

:rockon:

Kendog
31st July 2006, 21:11
If you want some photographic evidence let me know.
I may be keen to come up and snap some pics.

skelstar
31st July 2006, 21:21
Sounds dangerously like an audience and a bad case of performance anxiety.

Kendog
31st July 2006, 22:13
I can keep one eye shut while taking the pics.

Up to you.

vtec
31st July 2006, 22:30
Just relax, and go for a standing start, off the mark bikes own all (well nearly all). Have fun, and if you have practiced on the circuit before, and they are first timers you should seriously deal to them.

paturoa
31st July 2006, 22:56

entertaining - wonder how much quicker a 1000cc would be at the island?

RantyDave
31st July 2006, 23:10
And I bet that on your first lap around (and many more after) you'll feel lost. The awe of the place, the track surface, the other traffic (everything from hi-po race cars through to tour buses), weather, etc will throw all your track knowledge into disarray.
Oh, I'm sure it will. But for now Gran Turismo will have to do.

Dave

onearmedbandit
31st July 2006, 23:31
Yup, games are pretty much the only option at the moment. The wife and I will travel to Europe in the future, I'll definately be heading there for a lap or two!

Edbear
1st August 2006, 06:56
In future, please remember me as refined, educated and throw in an enormous amount of intelligence. That's me.

You forgot, "modest"!:yes:

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 08:23

Dave

Clarkson thought he knew Laguna Seca because he'd done it on PS2. Turns out he didn't when he got a car on the track.
Virgins can watch porn all day long, but it still ain't sex.

The_Dover
1st August 2006, 09:11
Virgins can watch porn all day long, but it still ain't sex.

What about masturbation? Is that like a having a few practice laps?

skelstar
1st August 2006, 09:17
So heres a (non masturbation related) question regarding tyres:

I ride on Diablo Stradas. Not the sexiest tyres but they suit my needs. Now I know that tyres shouldnt be ridden hard until up to temp. Slicks take ages, something like Super Corsas still take a while, but my Stradas will be pretty quick eh?

I know they dont have that much grip, but I can be less concerned about having to get laps in before 'pushing it' eh?

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 10:04

I prefer to think of it as a warm up lap. Just to get some heat into the rubber.

ManDownUnder
1st August 2006, 10:11

Laps of a pool maybe - those are strokes mate... or so I'm .... err... told... :whistle:

chickenfunkstar
1st August 2006, 10:34
So heres a (non masturbation related) question regarding tyres:

I ride on Diablo Stradas. Not the sexiest tyres but they suit my needs. Now I know that tyres shouldnt be ridden hard until up to temp. Slicks take ages, something like Super Corsas still take a while, but my Stradas will be pretty quick eh?

I know they dont have that much grip, but I can be less concerned about having to get laps in before 'pushing it' eh?

They should warm up quickish. I've got similar tyres on the SV, my 'warm up' is to go about 50% pace on the 1st half of the 1st lap, 75% on the 2nd half of the 1st lap, 90% on the 2nd lap, then not quite 100% on the third. I'd imagine you'll have alot more grip than you think. I'm not sure how low the pegs on the 919 are, but if I were a betting man i'd say you'll scrape pegs before the tyres will run out of grip. Provided your technique is ok that is.

skelstar
1st August 2006, 11:23
Yeah, scrape my epgs in the Takas from time to time. The clearance isnt flash by any means.

madboy
1st August 2006, 13:11
It'll all come down to the rider/drivers. XR8 is a shit track car. It's heavy and not that far removed from a taxi. The M3 is the proverbial wet dream in car terms, but if the guy doesn't want to risk anything it's no quicker than a people mover. And you ain't Stroud.

The cars will clean up in getting the power down out of the corner, and clean up in corner speed itself. If it's on the full track the bike is at a significant disadvantage. Somewhere like Puke with a massive long straight is okay for a bike, but even the Manfeild short circuit ain't that flash. And if a car slides, who cares? If your bike slides, I bet you'll care ;)

If the guy in the XR8 is a real pussy, tell him I can do low 30s in a stock standard MX-5 (the slow as 1.6) running on trashed tyres. That'll make him feel better about spending $60k on a taxi. And if the guy in the M3 can't do a lot better, tell him to return his penis.

HDTboy
1st August 2006, 13:15
M3s scare me whenever I drive them, they are that quick.
It all comes down to the driver/rider though.
I doubt you'll be better under brakes too, the car drivers can both stomp as hard as they like on the brake pedal, and let the ABS take over.

It was good of you to start another car Vs bike thread though

sAsLEX
1st August 2006, 14:07
Yup, games are pretty much the only option at the moment. The wife and I will travel to Europe in the future, I'll definately be heading there for a lap or two!

Reckon it would be worth going for a ride in one of the Ring Taxi's first to be shown the layout and what its like going proper pace around there

skelstar
1st August 2006, 15:27
Sorry. I didnt really mean to start another c vs b thread :) ...I figured it is going to be a bit of a larf. As soon as I heard about it I wondered what would happen. This is a bit about advice too to be honest.

Also, it has to be stressed that I will not be a true reflection of what a bike can do against a car. Maybe what a commuter could do, but not a hard out rider.

skelstar
1st August 2006, 15:28
Oh...and cheers sAsLEX, that vid was cool. The lowside out of that fast sweep is going to haunt me for a few nights though :).

sAsLEX
1st August 2006, 15:31
Oh...and cheers sAsLEX, that vid was cool. The lowside out of that fast sweep is going to haunt me for a few nights though :).

But that was the hard out racer guy goin a bit balls out, your more like the other guy nanaerin round teh corners safetly

skelstar
1st August 2006, 15:33
True...didnt say I was being rational ;).

sAsLEX
1st August 2006, 15:35
True...didnt say I was being rational ;).

It was also a Triumph so it is likely something jsut fell off causing the accident, nothing to worry about on a reliable Honda!

skelstar
1st August 2006, 15:38
Ok...you definitley have to be in my pit-crew...blindfolded so I dont have to worry about you watching.

SimJen
1st August 2006, 15:55
hahaI find it funny when "hard, staunch" Holden supporters knock Fords AND vice versa...

Buying a new Ford or Holden, for me anyway, came down to looks and technology... I want a car that it up with technology in all areas. Take Holdens for example, the LATEST 2006 VZ Holden Commodore SS has a FOUR speed automatic transmission! I mean come on, that is detrimental not only to acceleration in all ranges, but also fuel economy on highway driving...

I like my ZF SIX speed automatic transmission, with dynamic sequential automatic, performance dynamic auto or performance tiptronic user modes! Not to mention, CERTAIN Holden salesmen are arrogant arseholes. Even though it would have been a waste of money so I'm glad I have what I do now, a certain Wgtn Holden HSV branch salesman quite possibly lost out on a sale, all because I didn't secrete bank note dye from my pores. Hell, even if you think someone might be wasting your time, keep that to yourself for heavens sake.:whocares:

Problem is big Holdens and Fords are not "up with technology in all areas" they are miles behind the current tech in all areas.....have you ever looked at a decent European car????
As for ZF six speed boxes, they're shit. Mercs and Beemers now have 7 speeds+, they are not "Tiptronic" that is a Porsche trademark name and falsely used by companies professing to have something that approaches the Porsche version.
Get a decent manual and feel the sudden rush of power that hasn't been sapped by all that auto crap.
Why do people need Auto's?? Its for towing they say.......what you can't apply the throttle or change gears when you have a trailer???? Oh thats right, Cagers want everything easy so they can go to sleep while on a journey and take out as many bikers as possible.

SimJen
1st August 2006, 16:00
The Top Gear test between a CBR600RR and an Aerial Atom(?) resulted a a narrow win for the car. The Beemer is nowhere near as fast as one of those track day specials.
The question is how much difference there is between a CBR and a Hornet.

Yep it was a CBR600, Ariel Atom was only the 245bhp version without the supercharger.
Track is based on a runway, lots of overbanding and crosswinds make it difficult for bikes. Also Clarkson is notoriously anti-bike, and likes bias his stories to suit his own agenda.
The guy on the bike, had some truly shit lines and Im sure given a few more laps to warm tyres he could have beaten the Atom.
If the Atom was the 300hp version then nothing on two wheels really stands a chance. Its 0-100km in 2.7 secs so will keep up or see off all current superbikes.

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 16:44
[QUOTE=SimJen]
Why do people need Auto's?? /QUOTE]
Tried commuting everyday on the carparks we call motorways up here?

Lou Girardin
1st August 2006, 16:46
Yep it was a CBR600, Ariel Atom was only the 245bhp version without the supercharger.
Track is based on a runway, lots of overbanding and crosswinds make it difficult for bikes. Also Clarkson is notoriously anti-bike, and likes bias his stories to suit his own agenda.
The guy on the bike, had some truly shit lines and Im sure given a few more laps to warm tyres he could have beaten the Atom.
If the Atom was the 300hp version then nothing on two wheels really stands a chance. Its 0-100km in 2.7 secs so will keep up or see off all current superbikes.

I'm fairly sure it was the blown version. I seem to recall Jeeza wanking on about that. That's why I was amazed when the bike dicked it off the line.

The_Dover
1st August 2006, 16:50
Why do people need Auto's??

you ever tried rolling a joint, drinking a beer and driving at the same time?

inlinefour
1st August 2006, 16:58
They are cages, who gives a fuck??? Bit like bringing a knife to a gun shop, this posting about cages in the general bike ravings... :shutup:

SPman
1st August 2006, 17:22
But that was the hard out racer guy goin a bit balls out,
On cold tyres!

SimJen
1st August 2006, 20:24
Tried commuting everyday on the carparks we call motorways up here?

Yeah tried it, still prefer a manual. You just gotta be a man and build your legs up to handle the clutch ;)
Mind you I've done the car thing when I was younger, to be honest I can't see me buying another unless its a hotrod or racecar. Would rather get a motard to sit next to the gixxer in the shed :)

kro
1st August 2006, 20:28
Just don't fall off ok, that's how we want things to go..... nice and smooth, with no road rash.

skelstar
1st August 2006, 21:34
Yeah I was thinking today that if I concentrate on smooth, the time will take care of itself.

SimJen
1st August 2006, 21:37
Wether you win or lose, bikes are cooler.
and you get more chicks on bikes ;)

The_Dover
1st August 2006, 21:38
bro, have a joint first to calm your nerves. then go out and take it easy, it'll come, eventually.

skelstar
1st August 2006, 22:12
bro, have a joint first to calm your nerves. then go out and take it easy, it'll come, eventually.
Ok, you can be on my crew too.:niceone:
Simjen can organise the chicks.

scumdog
1st August 2006, 23:05
. Mercs and Beemers now have 7 speeds+,

Get a decent manual and feel the sudden rush of power that hasn't been sapped by all that auto crap.
Why do people need Auto's??

7 speed auto? - a cop-out for a pathetic torque-curve, makes you wonder how the Chev Powerglide still exists - oh, that's right, in drag racers where they only need TWO speed autos - and one of them is direct drive (top gear), tons of power and torque.

And why an auto? Try getting a blow-job while rowing a manual through city traffic, the 'blow-ee' would not thank you (if you're driving a manual).

onearmedbandit
2nd August 2006, 00:38
Come on sd, even you must admit the two applications are completely different. And the torque curves from these large capacity 8's and 12's would shame a lot of Ozzy and American V8's (of similar size).

Edbear
2nd August 2006, 06:47
Got a list of facts about top-fuel dragsters, the average domestic V8 wouldn't have the grunt to spin the dragster's supercharger!

Had a '70 HT Premier with the 308 and Powerglide, the auto was a pain, had to be doing 50k before there was enough torque to accelerate and had to wind it out to 90k in first, (at God knows what revs!), to get some meaningful accelleration in top! That was with 240hp which is pretty tame by todays standards.

Reckon you'll cream the XR8, despite my fondness for them but the M3 will be interesting, indeed!:rockon:

Lou Girardin
2nd August 2006, 08:22
7 speed auto? - a cop-out for a pathetic torque-curve, makes you wonder how the Chev Powerglide still exists - oh, that's right, in drag racers where they only need TWO speed autos - and one of them is direct drive (top gear), tons of power and torque.

And why an auto? Try getting a blow-job while rowing a manual through city traffic, the 'blow-ee' would not thank you (if you're driving a manual).

Not exactly commuter cars though, are they?

And thank you for your reasoned comments on manuals, OFFICER.:innocent:

The_Dover
2nd August 2006, 10:06
Try getting a blow-job while rowing a manual through city traffic, the 'blow-ee' would not thank you (if you're driving a manual).

would that be legal scummy?

skelstar
2nd August 2006, 10:08
...the 'blow-ee'...
F*ck youre a romantic cunt arent ya SD?

Kornholio
2nd August 2006, 19:27
the 'blow-ee' would not thank you (if you're driving a manual).

Shouldn't that be 'blow-er' ... you being the recipient of said blow-job would be the 'blow-ee'
Correct me if Im wrong :doobey:

Lou Girardin
3rd August 2006, 08:26
Shouldn't that be 'blow-er' ... you being the recipient of said blow-job would be the 'blow-ee'
Correct me if Im wrong :doobey:

Scummy got it right.:blip:

_intense_
3rd August 2006, 11:55
Yeah, I appreciate the 'danger'. Thats why I think I would stay behind them for the most part, but would LOVE to nail it past them on an exit of a corner.:blip:

choose your moment carefully grasshopper. dont wana be nudged off by some one failing to check their blindspots out of the corner? sounds like good fun

steved
3rd August 2006, 12:29
I could go on the track at the same time, behind the cars not infront, but probably will be on a time-trial basis.

What do you reckon? :)Time-trial seems easily the safest way. Two or three laps each?

skelstar
3rd August 2006, 13:12
Yeah I think it will be like that. I might wait for my XR8mate to go out for his 'time-trial' and just nut out after him, and pass him through the infield left hander :)...

Its funny, the ones that have seen me ride on the track are going: 'yeah right...I saw a fxr150 pass you on the track last time'.

skelstar
8th August 2006, 14:17
For what its worth it doesnt look like theres any room on the track for me. Bugger...I guess the point is now moot.

I think they were scared.

I was

Shadows
8th August 2006, 15:10
For those that dont know me, or havent had the pleasure of riding with me, Im a pretty conservative rider.

I was driving behind you in my cage through Paranoid Valley from the shops yesterday arvo (are you paranoid now?), yep that was some very conservative riding.
Mind you with the conditions and the amount of fucktards on the road I don't blame ya!

skelstar
8th August 2006, 15:14
I had two cans of soup and a big glass jar of vegetable juice in my backpack, and it was raining. You'd be conservative too.;)

Shadows
8th August 2006, 21:14
Hehe, could get messy!

steved
9th August 2006, 14:27
For what its worth it doesnt look like theres any room on the track for me. Bugger...I guess the point is now moot.

I think they were scared.

I wasAny room? Do they know how big a Hornet is?

I can understand them not wanting to mix cars and bikes though, especially if there is a competitive element. :scooter:

jord
9th August 2006, 20:32
In a couple of weeks Im going to have a go on Manfield with a mate and some of his mates. My mate drives a 2006 Falcon XR8, one of his mates (the organiser) has just bought a BMW M3 (2003 maybe).

My question is: how do you reckon Ill go?

For those that dont know me, or havent had the pleasure of riding with me, Im a pretty conservative rider. Im faster on the road than on the track (I dont know :weird:), but not that fast on the road. Im too sensible...but given the right motivation I may be able to pull out a hottish lap (maybe if there were hot chicks watching).

Im more worried about the M3 than the XR8. I think my mate in the XR8 will be cautious (as well), but M3 guy...I havent met. M3's handle pretty well too I hear ;).

So I reckon that Ill be faster out of the corners, but cornering speed will be down, but better under brakes...crikey. This paragraph is flavoured with optimism.

What do you reckon? :)

You should wipe the xr8 no worries just watch that beemer round the corners though, get in front early and then you should dominate.

skelstar
11th August 2006, 13:29
Seems my mate in the XR8 is going around in 1m30s...Im sure if I was there I could bullshit talk him into a slower time. Mindgames.

vtec
13th August 2006, 14:32
I know of a guy (Jay Lawrence) who did a 1.26 on a Suzuki RG150 around there. You should seriously kick the XR8's arse.