PDA

View Full Version : Fuel economy of a Motard?

Sparky Bills
31st July 2006, 09:21
How do they compare to a normal road bike?

Im going through a few options, and this will be one of the main questions.

SimJen
31st July 2006, 09:36
Not sure about economy, but be aware of the servicing costs for a high spec motard. They can be costly to run as some are pretty highly tuned.

Ghost Lemur
31st July 2006, 09:50
That question is like asking the fuel economy of a sportsbike?

Highly dependant. Depends on the bike. Though even at worst, I'd say they're no worse than your average sportsbike.

cowpoos
31st July 2006, 09:56
big trailies can be thirsty...depends on the spec and the bike...but compared to your hon-duh...probally use a lil more gas...servicing ain't cheap though bro...

Dazza
31st July 2006, 10:00
Not that economical,depends on how much you twist the throttle (they love to go fast),and definately no easier on road tyres,I bought one kidding myself it would be easier on tyres compared to my road bike and that was a big crock !!!

Hellraiser
31st July 2006, 10:15
I'm going to do a complete write up later but the new XT660X that i just bought has really crap fuel ecconomy currently i'm only getting 150km before it hit res which is to be expected as it is a thumper ..... lol

Sparky Bills
31st July 2006, 10:28
I'm going to do a complete write up later but the new XT660X that i just bought has really crap fuel ecconomy currently i'm only getting 150km before it hit res which is to be expected as it is a thumper ..... lol

But how much fuel does it hold?

Im working off a bike like an xr650 or similar.

merv
31st July 2006, 10:32
As an example my WR which is only a 250 drinks gas faster on the road than my VFR750 does in the 15 - 20 km/litre range. With taller gearing maybe it would ease that a bit.

Lower spec dirt bikes like our DR650, XR250L and XT250 are quite light on gas doing between 25 - 30 km/litre.

skelstar
31st July 2006, 10:32
Specs say 15 litres (XT660X).

Sparky Bills
31st July 2006, 10:36
Just need somthing thats going to take the brunt off my real bike. Will be used for commuting etc. So no hard riding or anything like that, just a bit of fun on Piekok hill.
Ive done 24000km's on the cbr since October last year.

sAsLEX
31st July 2006, 11:19
Not that economical,depends on how much you twist the throttle (they love to go fast),and definately no easier on road tyres,I bought one kidding myself it would be easier on tyres compared to my road bike and that was a big crock !!!

You talking about that stone throwing Duke of yours? I would say the torque aint freindly to the tires, plus you aint no slouch so that never helps tire life

spudchucka
31st July 2006, 11:26
But how much fuel does it hold?

Im working off a bike like an xr650 or similar.
My XR650 does about 110Km (road riding) before the reserve kicks in, thats about 8 litres. Its been fully uncorked & re-jetted. I have no idea what a standard XR would do but I'd suggest its quite a bit better than that.

Biohazard
31st July 2006, 11:38
My mistake...read the topic incorrectly..thought it read "Fuel economy of a Retard".:doobey:

slick
31st July 2006, 11:42
I have an XR650 in motard trim, I get about 120Kms to reserve (10ltrs) and can usually guarantee 150kms before it runs dry. After the usual sportsbike diet (blades, R1s, Dukes etc.) the XR uses about the same fuel, doesn't shred tyres as fast and is much more fun grunting around town. Maintenance is easy, check valves and change oil every 1000kms both simple jobs to do yourself. I looked at Husabergs and the like but they need crazy amounts of maintenance. Only 'issue' is getting it started!

spudchucka
31st July 2006, 11:50
I have an XR650 in motard trim, I get about 120Kms to reserve (10ltrs) and can usually guarantee 150kms before it runs dry. After the usual sportsbike diet (blades, R1s, Dukes etc.) the XR uses about the same fuel, doesn't shred tyres as fast and is much more fun grunting around town. Maintenance is easy, check valves and change oil every 1000kms both simple jobs to do yourself. I looked at Husabergs and the like but they need crazy amounts of maintenance. Only 'issue' is getting it started!
Where did you go to get your motard parts for the XR?

Mine starts up no worries. If its cold I put the choke on full, roll over to just past TDC, kick and it will usuallyl tick over a couple of times. Then move the choke to the second position, kick just past TDC again and it fires up, let it idle while I put on helmet & gloves then turn off the choke and ride.

Ghost Lemur
31st July 2006, 11:57
Still waiting on your longterm write up of the XR Spud. Sounds like you're enjoying it.

slick
31st July 2006, 12:01
Bought it in Motard trim, wheels are from an RGV250, machined spacer for the front caliper and different wheel spacers. All works great but prefer the look of spoked wheels but then you're talking serious money! I have tried so many starting combinations, you think you're getting the knack then it stops working and another 'method' works better. It never seems to like any choke, the best way, at the moment, is to kick over a few time to get some fuel in, find tdc, decompressor to just past TDC then a smooth kick will usually get it fired but it takes a few attempts. It doesn't get used daily and the longer it sits the harder it is to start. I will try your method next time...

spudchucka
31st July 2006, 12:01
Still waiting on your longterm write up of the XR Spud. Sounds like you're enjoying it.
Its cool but it makes my arse go to sleep!

spudchucka
31st July 2006, 12:22
Bought it in Motard trim, wheels are from an RGV250, machined spacer for the front caliper and different wheel spacers. All works great but prefer the look of spoked wheels but then you're talking serious money!
I'd like to go this way but I don't have the $$$ at the moment.

http://www.motostrano-store.com/wheels3.html

Did the RGV wheels need any modification?

clint640
31st July 2006, 12:36
Road riding I get between 4.5 & 5.5 litres/100km on the KTM (22 - 18 km/L) Usually around the 5L/100km mark, even giving it stick with luggage. Bike has an SXC muffler, vented airbox & rejet.

I would suspect that the slightly lower SM version of my bike may be fractionally less thirsty.

I know DR650's & XT600's use very similar amounts as we've compared numbers at the pumps on several rides.

The fuel injected F650 BMW's are the heroes at the servo, they are very frugal.

Cheers
Clint

Sparky Bills
31st July 2006, 14:58
Thanx guys, that helps lots:rockon:

Clivoris
31st July 2006, 20:18
Hi Sparky,
I wondered about the miles you were doing to the CBR. I reckon go for the XR650 motard with all the bling bits. Nothing but top shelf gear mate. It's got to be worth it, and think of all the savings you'll make by hardly using the front tyre. Let me know when your tired of it. I might be able to take it off your hands if you price it right. :innocent:

inlinefour
1st August 2006, 03:26

Giving my DRZ400 total utter bollocks it does about 160kph, but only holds a massive 10 litres. Have got another tank, holds a wee bit more...