PDA

View Full Version : When did you last practice emergency braking

Squeak the Rat
31st July 2006, 11:24
I had some time to kill the other day so decided to practice some emergency stops in a carpark. What I found was that I hadn't practiced these in too long....

While I didn't significantly improve my stopping distance, it did refresh my confidence on what the bike (and I) can do in an emergency..... And that I'm going to think about a brake upgrade....

You practiced lately?

skelstar
31st July 2006, 11:38
E-braking scares me a little. Have locked up the front before and I didnt like it very much (same time as the back incidentally).

Flyingpony
31st July 2006, 11:39
Had the real deal recently and survived unharmed.

Once a month I do a few practice runs to keep the skills honed. Even do the odd one with the rear thrown into the mix and this simply goes to prove why not to touch that brake when it's the real deal. Even practice a few mid-corner but I'd better not get too keen because I felt the front starting to shudder and slide, at least I now know approximately its wet road limit :yes:

I'm very happy with the FXR handling performance.

If I were going to do a braided brake line up front, then I'll upgrade the front to something that provides more grip in the wet.

Squeak the Rat
31st July 2006, 11:48
I was taught to just apply the rear and ignore it if it locks up. It's relatively safe to ride straight with the rear locked, and the little bit of extra braking force could make the difference....

The other train of thought says that the thinking time is better used concentrating on the front, but if you practice enough you should be able to do it without conciously thinking about it....

kiwifruit
31st July 2006, 11:57
friday, on the track at 100mph plus
had to brake hard then go around a dirty big DL1000 sliding down the track

Motu
31st July 2006, 12:27
If you lock up your rear brake on a cambered road,the rear wheel will slide down the camber,and you'll need opposite lock to controll this,also puts the right foot on the low inside - to foot you need to release the brake...resulting in a highside.I'm not saying don't lock the rear,just be aware of the result.

sAsLEX
31st July 2006, 12:34
Most days commuting their is some twat who decides to test my braking

ZeroIndex
31st July 2006, 12:38
I practice daily.. for real on my ct110.. but, that's what you get for being a postie riding on footpaths etc..

..and after adjusting the brake lever a bit, I am starting to learn how to do stoppies :) <-- on the ct110, not gonna try on the ninja anytime soon..

Macktheknife
31st July 2006, 12:45
I haven't practiced anything lately as I'm still not allowed to ride! But when I am riding I generally practice every month or so.

Hitcher
31st July 2006, 13:06
Has anybody admired my skidmark on the Kaitokes, deposited expensively on 11 June 2006?

Ixion
31st July 2006, 13:25
I was taught to just apply the rear and ignore it if it locks up. It's relatively safe to ride straight with the rear locked, and the little bit of extra braking force could make the difference....

Ho hum. Shall I say --- ABS :whistle:

Otherwise, that is pretty much what I do. In general, on seal a locked rear is neither here not there. It will tend to lock as the front bites and takes weight off the rear wheel.

But --

If you lock up your rear brake on a cambered road,the rear wheel will slide down the camber,and you'll need opposite lock to controll this,also puts the right foot on the low inside - to foot you need to release the brake...resulting in a highside.I'm not saying don't lock the rear,just be aware of the result.

is true too. One more reason why I deplore the blurdy yanks forcing us to have the gear lever and brake on the wrong side.

However, sealed roads are seldom that sharply cambered . And gravel is a whole other story. Just something to watch out for

Str8 Jacket
31st July 2006, 14:30
Ive had my rear lock up on me once before. I was going up the Hutt Motorway and the lights which were just a hundy metres or so away had just turned green so I start to speed up a little. Just as I reached the intersection a fire truck came through with its lights on etc, I hadnt seen it on my approach as there were bushes in the way. So I freak out and shove on my front brake furiously dropping the gears but I wasnt stopping fast enough (2 stroke, no engine braking) so I put on my rear, must have been too much too soon cause I lock it up and my rear wheel starts weaving all over the place while skidding. I let go of the rear brake immediatley and somehow managed to avoid the truck. Poor firefighters though, they looked freaked! Im not to sure how or what I did there but I know I need to practice my emergency braking properly!

McJim
31st July 2006, 15:27
As a newbie to the bike I've emergency braked twice (coz I needed to) and twice I've landed on my arse. I've now enrolled for the RRRS course - hopefully I'll learn how to do this safely. BUT If the cage drivers at large would practice 'Driving properly' I wouldn't have to fuggin' practice 'Emergency Braking' though!:weird:

Squeak the Rat
31st July 2006, 15:43
. I've now enrolled for the RRRS course - hopefully I'll learn how to do this safely.
Excellent move. I've heard these are good courses, hopefully you learn some usefull stuff.....

BeakerRAT
31st July 2006, 16:35
An excellent idea. Need to practise more often. Use to practise emergency braking as I got home from every ride (provided the road was clear). Figured if I did bin it, it wasn't far to push / drag the bike into the garage. As the value of the bikes has increased, there's been less desire to try these things out on a regular basis.

Fatjim
31st July 2006, 17:01
Not for a while, but it's prepared as an excuse for when the rapa natives complain about the noise of me practicing wheelies :)

Hawkeye
31st July 2006, 17:31
Most days commuting there is some twat who decides to test my braking

Ditto .....

Kendog
31st July 2006, 18:45
Us Kendogs went to the local test strip (dressmart carpark) last Saturday morning and tested our braking on Uncle B's suggestion. Very interesting, though more practice is needed and I'm sure if out in an emergency situation I would jump on the brakes harder and probably lock it all up and crap off. Oh well, at least I can say I practcied!
Will attempt to go down at least once a month to practice braking and U turns. Anyone wanna join us is welcome.
Mrs KD.

Edbear
31st July 2006, 19:18
Timely reminder! Had to do an emergency brake last time I did the Waipu loop! Was too busy watching BusaPete et al and didn't notice the T-intersection! Think I nearly did a "stoppie"! Showed me the old girl has still got very good brakes! When was the last time anyone bled their brakesand cahnged the fluid? Should do it annually or whenever they start feeling a bit spongy. :scooter:

XP@
2nd August 2006, 15:48
Usually test once a day. Not allways down to zero sometimes I practice the first part sometimes the last.
The other week i decided to do this coming off the motorway, it was a bit wet and i was still not 100% with the new bikes brakes.

Locking the front at 110 on the motorway off ramp is almost a brown rendering experience.

The next possible opportunity I took myself down to porrirua railway station cp and started from scratch (20kmph) with my braking. Working up to 100km/h I found a couple of puddles and some loose stuff by way of a challenge.

Bend-it
3rd August 2006, 10:59
Yeah... had a couple of bad experiences with locking up the rear , once on a 50cc scooter, and once on the bike... I don't use my rear brakes anymore, just engine breaking and feathering the front usually.

Had a car pull into my lane just yesterday, which required an e-brake from about 60kph in the wet... hairy...

Surprising thing is, I wasn't even pissed off... have learnt to take it s just one of the realities of biking... Oh well...

NighthawkNZ
22nd September 2006, 22:46
eerrr i practised about an hour ago... some pillock in a box on a cell phone :spanking: :2guns: :bash: :finger: :kick: :ar15: :brick: :mad:

:calm:

Transalper
23rd September 2006, 11:00
...had a couple of bad experiences with locking up the rear , once on a 50cc scooter, and once on the bike... I don't use my rear brakes anymore, just engine breaking and feathering the front usually....That sounds like bad practice. Shouldn't you be practicing feathering the back brake more often too so as to avoid stamping on it in fright.
The bike will stop quicker with a little rear bake applied too than with using front and engine braking alone.
I have adjusted my rear brake pedal position down a bit so as when i do use it, it takes more effort to lock up.
Between that and spending time and effort training my foot to press the thing nicely instead of jumping on it in fright, I haven't locked it up unintentionally for ages.