PDA

View Full Version : New dude....kinda long story

Funkyfly
8th June 2004, 13:14
Sup,

Great site, thought i would join.

Im fairly new to riding at 27 years of age, i have been riding for approx 2 years now.

Brought a motorcycle trader 2 1/2 years ago for no real reason, saw and fell in love with the Suzuki TLR (Yellow), that bike sparked it off, I got a TZR 250 to learn to ride (never ridden bikes before that) and get my license on, blew that up and then got a ZXR250 for both my wife and me to learn on (she got her license because she didnt like riding on the back). Got my full and brought a TLS (coundnt afford the TLR) my wife then got her full, i got a really good deal on a written off 2002 VTR250 which i brought and fixed, my wife rode it for a while before i gave it to my mum (devious plan to get my parents riding, dad would HAVE to get a bike if mum had one!) My wife went back to riding the ZXR which she hated after the comfortable VTR250.

In march this year we all did a south island tour, Dad had brought a VTR1000 by then. He used to ride a 250 suzuki 25 years ago! It was great to have the family together on the bikes, My wife was extremely slow on the ZXR, she had lost all her confidence, so we traded it in on a 2000 Ducati Monster 750. Wow, talk about a cool bike! Her confidence on the monster was noticable straight away as we left Christchurch heading south. Best thing we ever did was get her that bike! Spent 11 days down there, was way cool.

Sold my TLS a couple of months ago, and had plans to import a VTR1000 SP1 as it was the only way i could afford one, it didnt work out. I ended up offering a guy what cash i did have for his 2002 GSXR1000, to my utter surprise he accepted! i had two wikid weeks on this bike, then i decided to go to the test day at manfeild to learn the bike more, im still useless at leaning the bike over, anyway was great fun, heading home a car fails to give way and writes my GSXR off! bummer! I get my cheque this week and have hopefully sorted out a deal for another GXSR in Christchurch (long way to go to get a bike - im in Taranaki) which could be another steller deal!

So thats pretty much my bike history, theres a few tales about outrunning cops and being chased out of town up the east coast but they can wait!

Its good to see plenty of rides on here and hopefully will catch up sometime.

So if you see a poser on a GSXR give em a wave :spudwave:

FunkyFly

sAsLEX
8th June 2004, 13:18
Welcome to the site, as you can probally pick from my little pic I hail from the Naki as well.

merv
8th June 2004, 13:19
You've been there done that in just a couple of years huh!

Enjoy!

duckman
8th June 2004, 13:21
Welcome fella,

So ... if you've got enough to buy a Gixxer thou' , Why aren't you buying that TL1000R (in yellow of course) ??

Ms Piggy
8th June 2004, 13:55
Welcome - lotsa great people here with lotsa good stories...look forward to hearing a few more of yours too. :niceone:

Funkyfly
8th June 2004, 14:37
Welcome fella,

So ... if you've got enough to buy a Gixxer thou' , Why aren't you buying that TL1000R (in yellow of course) ??

Well believe it or not i got the gixxer 1000 CHEAPER than the going rate for a TLR! It was to good a deal to pass up.

And after riding the GSXR..what can i say.. man its wikid, although im not a great rider i appreciated speed, well acceleration really, and the gsxr has it!

Plus the GSXR inspires confidence, the rotorary damper (rear shock) in the TLS freaked me out hitting bumps mid corner, it sucked and was going to cost $1600 for an ohlins unit!

Dont get me wrong i love t-twins! They got soul. Just had too much fun on the gsxr to go back just yet dude.

duckman
8th June 2004, 14:39
Well believe it or not i got the gixxer 1000 CHEAPER than the going rate for a TLR! It was to good a deal to pass up.

And after riding the GSXR..what can i say.. man its wikid, although im not a great rider i appreciated speed, well acceleration really, and the gsxr has it!

Plus the GSXR inspires confidence, the rotorary damper (rear shock) in the TLS freaked me out hitting bumps mid corner, it sucked and was going to cost $1600 for an ohlins unit!

Dont get me wrong i love t-twins! They got soul. Just had too much fun on the gsxr to go back just yet dude.
Ahhh well, I guess you can't complain about that now can you.

Hitcher
8th June 2004, 16:14
Funkfly -- a great story, I enjoyed it hugely.

Good to see another Taranaki boy represented here! I may have lived elsewhere for 30 years, but get back there at every available opportunity. As they say, you can take the boy out of the 'naki...

White trash
8th June 2004, 16:45
.....but you can't take the gargre outta' the boy. :msn-wink:

wari
8th June 2004, 20:42
NIce intro F-fly ... welcome :spudwave:

Mongoose
8th June 2004, 21:08
From ine new boy to another, great sight, mixture of people is great too. Sounds like you have fitted a grat deal of experience into a short time.

Mongoose
8th June 2004, 21:09
From ine new boy to another, great sight, mixture of people is great too. Sounds like you have fitted a grat deal of experience into a short time.

And I gotta remember to proof read and correct BEFORE I post!!

claire
9th June 2004, 14:44
Hey Funkyfly

thought I'd better do the official welcome thing. Tell Nadine I think her bike is pretty cool too. I wanted a yellow 749 but not whether I'd be too disapointed after the R1. Looks like you're bringing all the x Taranaki people out of the woodwork too! Will definately have to catch up for a ride next time we're down

Claire

Racey Rider
9th June 2004, 19:10
.....but you can't take the gargre outta' the boy. :msn-wink:
:lol:

Would have been a :killingme but you spelt "boy" wrong! (boi) :rolleyes:

We haven't heard from him for a while...
I Told him not to put that Hydrocillator so close to his computer! :nono:

Don't worry FunkyFly, in house joke, before you got here.

I do a bit of Race track stuff when I can. There's always room on my truck for another bike if your keen to head to Manfield again when your new one arrives.
Catchya :niceone:

k14
9th June 2004, 19:21
Welcome funkyfly. I too hail from the naki, will be up in the summer holidays, nov-feb. Must go for a ride sometime when I am up there, don't really know anyone else that rides up there.

Funkyfly
11th June 2004, 20:53
Thanks for all the posts. Really looking fwd to meeting a few of you when your over this way or at a KB meet some time.

Go the Naki!

LB
14th June 2004, 04:41
Hi - welcome to the site. Nice roads in your area, specially when there's snow on the mt and it's a nice crisp (but not too cold!) winter's day with blue sky.

And you've got a great cafe at Inglewood (McFarlanes)

Funkyfly
14th June 2004, 18:05
True, nice spot, and great food :blah: , we turned up there a couple of weeks ago and there were a couple of other bikers there which was cool.

babyB
14th June 2004, 23:08
hay ya welcome to the site good story too. lol naki where i born & bred, looks like there a few of us out there

magnum
20th June 2004, 21:05
hello and welcome