PDA

View Full Version : KTM 950cc Vtwin Superenduro

cooneyr
2nd August 2006, 15:34
How about a KTM 950 superenduro for an dirt orientated adventure bike? Recon they would be awsome :blip: If you can handel the power and weight off road that is. :blah:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-65339652.htm

Oh well dreams are free - no where near the dollars in the budget to pay for the broken bits when it gets droped/crashed let alone the bike.

SDU
3rd August 2006, 14:22
mmmm!

Shush don't let Lemans see it, it'll take my bikes & his in to trade in on it :gob: Then what will I have to play with.

NB to self: Change locks on bikes...

Mind you if I got the LC4 out of it.....

spudchucka
3rd August 2006, 14:27
Looks like an awesome machine but $22,490 for a chook chaser? I don't think so!

Finn
3rd August 2006, 14:56
And it's a manual too. I'm after an auto.

FlangMasterJ
3rd August 2006, 15:08
Can't wait too see these things at Baja and Dakar.:first:

cooneyr
3rd August 2006, 15:56
mmmm!

Shush don't let Lemans see it, it'll take my bikes & his in to trade in on it :gob: Then what will I have to play with.

NB to self: Change locks on bikes...

Mind you if I got the LC4 out of it.....

It'd take all of our bike budget just to get the LC4 - maybe I should send Lemans a PM :blip:

I'd fight you for the LC4 but that would be crule - where's wifey when I need her :devil2:

Can't wait too see these things at Baja and Dakar

Saw a video of it competing against the HP2 at an enduro somewhere in Europe but it didnt do very well - new rider and suspension settings lacking supposidly. Have lost that link unfortunatly.

Cheers
R

laRIKin
3rd August 2006, 21:04
I have seen and I want. (for about 6mth's now)

And I want one badly.

Now I'm going in to corner to suck my thumb and cry.

OR

shhh don't tell SDU going to the bank.

And you two can fight over the LC4, my money's on the short red head as she fights dirty.

Oscar
3rd August 2006, 21:11

Bloody cheap compared with an HP2.
Same price as my Adventure.

Oscar
3rd August 2006, 21:12
It'd take all of our bike budget just to get the LC4 - maybe I should send Lemans a PM :blip:

I'd fight you for the LC4 but that would be crule - where's wifey when I need her :devil2:

Saw a video of it competing against the HP2 at an enduro somewhere in Europe but it didnt do very well - new rider and suspension settings lacking supposidly. Have lost that link unfortunatly.

Cheers
R

I have an LC4E.
A great adventure bike...

SDU
4th August 2006, 12:45
It'd take all of our bike budget just to get the LC4 - maybe I should send Lemans a PM :blip: QUOTE

He doesn't need much arm twisting now.

[QUOTE=cooneyr]I'd fight you for the LC4 but that would be - where's wifey when I need her :devil2: QUOTE
:rockon: Like Lemans said I'll win:nya: :innocent:

[QUOTE=cooneyr]Saw a video of it competing against the HP2 at an enduro somewhere in Europe but it didnt do very well - new rider and suspension settings lacking supposidly. Have lost that link unfortunatly.
R

There is a write up on the bike in the latest ADB mag. They said the factory suspension setup wasn't great, but a with a little adjustment sweet.

cooneyr
4th August 2006, 13:07
He doesn't need much arm twisting now.

:rockon: Like Lemans said I'll win:nya: :innocent:

I recon if the price was right for the LC4 I'd even take you on. I wear glasses and you a girl so that makes us even doesnt it :nya: Just hold on a minute while I put my contacts in though :shake:

Have you managed to get Lemans out of the corner or is he still sucking his thumb and crying :yes:

There is a write up on the bike in the latest ADB mag. They said the factory suspension setup wasn't great, but a with a little adjustment sweet.

Thats gotta be one of the great things about it - its a big bike that you can adjust the suspension on. Will have to keep an eye out for a write up on it, I havent seen one yet.

R

laRIKin
4th August 2006, 18:07
I recon if the price was right for the LC4 I'd even take you on. I wear glasses and you a girl so that makes us even doesnt it :nya: Just hold on a minute while I put my contacts in though :shake:

Glasses, glasses, you think they will save you?
That doesn't work for me mate, beware of the red heads.
Next you will be trying to eat some of her chocolate.:gob:

Have you managed to get Lemans out of the corner or is he still sucking his thumb and crying :yes:

Only because I have to go to work.

Now if I trade the LC4, DR and XT and maybe one of the Guzzie's :blip:

Just kidding SDU, I'm kidding honest.

Maybe

Ghost Lemur
4th August 2006, 21:16
I'd watch your talk Lemans. Otherwise you'll be needing to get dangerous to build you a dog box too. Although from what (iirc) Biff said they're well made.

laRIKin
4th August 2006, 21:49
I'd watch your talk Lemans. Otherwise you'll be needing to get dangerous to build you a dog box too. Although from what (iirc) Biff said they're well made.

I'm lucky that we had a Irish Wolfhound, so the dog kennel is a nice big and roomy one.:zzzz:

And if I get one, I will be to busy riding it to go home to face the music.:scooter:

inlinefour
5th August 2006, 11:43

Some people dream of whats available and the rest of us just go out and get what it is that we can afford and get out on the roads/goat tracks etc and enjoy life...

Besides Im happy to give my DRZ utter shit and into the fun factor, don't think Id be the same on that. Might be a nice bike, but IMO poor value for money...:whocares:

laRIKin
5th August 2006, 13:14
Well I did a bad thing, no I did not buy it. (yet)

But I did look sit and start it.:drool: :drool:

And hopefully the guy that is thinking about buy it will, to put temptation out of my way.
They are bringing in 4 in total, so far.

They are a lot better than any chook chaser that I have ever seen.
These bikes rock and are meant to be off road and should do the job very nicely.

And as far as value for money, I think it is good for what it is.
After all there are a lot of people that buy one brand for twice that money.
And there are a lot of people that would not even give them the time of day let alone buy one. (go on guess the brand)
After all it could be the best on and off road combo. (for me at least)
I would and could take it off road and keep up with any street bike on the road. (tires would be the limiting factor)
Sure it's still a compromise, but what a compromise, one I am prepared to make.

Oops SDU home, must go.

laRIKin
6th August 2006, 17:38
Well I took SDU to look at it.
She likes it as well, but as you could guess it is way way to tall for her.
The bash plate would have to be touching the ground to lower it enough for her to ride it.
The seat height was up to her ribs.:shutup:
For me I was on tip toes and the suspension was stiff, so if it doesn't sag down a bit I would want to lower it.
It sounded great and was smooth running. (one one has test ridden it yet)
It is using the older type adventure motor that is carbed.
I was talking to the mechanic and from what he has heard that is the better option as the injected one's are to snappy off the bottom end which cause problems in the tight muddy stuff.
As for any other spec's I can not help you.

The bottom line is I want one and I have SDU blessing after I finish the bathroom, laundry and the small hall way back door?
They are all connected and have a knock on effect. (we'll see)

So the other guy that is looking hard at it, all so has a LC4 and wants it as well.
But like most of us it's down to finding money. (and properly putting it pass his wife)
So the race is on to find to cash.
I may be giving my MKIV Guzzi away to someone I know to help my cause to buy it.
But seriously I properly not going to buy this one, this time around.
But it is one of the few bikes that I have seen for years that I really want.
I could stretch the finances and buy it, but do not really wish to.
I might, well see how hard the bug to buy bites.

So the bike is still there for those of you that want to look at it in the flesh.

cooneyr
7th August 2006, 08:00
Well I did a bad thing, no I did not buy it. (yet)

But I did look sit and start it.:drool: :drool:

And hopefully the guy that is thinking about buy it will, to put temptation out of my way.
They are bringing in 4 in total, so far.

Your buggered now. I bet the bug has bitten really hard! Better hope that it is bought ASAP so that you dont have to think about "your" bike sitting there for the next month or two. You recon if you had one, you'd let me take it for a spin under the waimak bridge like you did the LC4? I'd be nice, promise :devil2:

I'll have to keep an eye out at Superior though if there is a potential LC4 trade in comming up.

It is using the older type adventure motor that is carbed.
I was talking to the mechanic and from what he has heard that is the better option as the injected one's are to snappy off the bottom end which cause problems in the tight muddy stuff.

I've read the same thing about the 990cc injected motor being snatchy. Sounds like the carbed 950 is the pick of the two until they sort the injection.

There is always a corner and your thumb or work to hide/sulk until it is sold.

R

SDU
7th August 2006, 16:28
Buggar it I reckon one would be great to have too, but there is no way it'll ever be lowered enough for this hobbit.:crybaby:

The bottom line is I want one and I have SDU blessing after I finish the bathroom, laundry and the small hall way back door?
They are all connected and have a knock on effect. (we'll see)
:wait: Yip there is a follow on effect & having a bathroom is not under- rated. It's been so long that we've just forgotten what its like to have one.

So the race is on to find to cash.
I may be giving my MKIV Guzzi away to someone I know to help my cause to buy it.
You're not getting the MKIII! :nono: I can see I am going to have start to driving to work with the trailer & 3 bikes.

SDU
7th August 2006, 16:41
I'll have to keep an eye out at Superior though if there is a potential LC4 trade in comming up.

R
No the LC4 will be mine & your glasses won't help you:kick:
Lemans warned me about your sort, stay away from my chocolate:bash: :nya: :innocent:

laRIKin
7th August 2006, 19:16

I will be all right I have self control.

cooneyr the problem with you young guys, is no self control.

I can control my urges with self control and mediation.
To you it is raining, cold and dark out side.
To me I ‘m sitting relaxed in a grassy paddock next to a small river.
The grass is green and the sky is blue and all the small furry animals playing in the long grass.
You can hear the river the birds and a wonderful noise in the back ground.
The sun is warm and the lovely sound is getting closer.
Even the small furry animals can hear it.
I stand up to see what it is and see a beautiful orange and black bike.
It wheel stands though the river does a power slide on one wheel and spits out the odd slow furry animal grass dirt and rocks.
The beautiful sound and bike float off in to the sunset.
The small startled furry animals limp around the camp fire and there is now a clear night and a full moon.

See mediation and self control is all you need.
One day I will have to teach you this, but it may come on it's own with age.:bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs:

cooneyr
7th August 2006, 20:32
I will be all right I have self control.

I stand up to see what it is and see a beautiful orange and black bike.
It wheel stands though the river does a power slide on one wheel and spits out the odd slow furry animal grass dirt and rocks.
The beautiful sound and bike float off in to the sunset.

Dude - did you go to work today or were you just :drool: down at superior. You are totally smitten - calling it beautiful and all. :killingme Nothing like a small furry animal killer aye.

I know enough about self control that 6 months of R licence is too damn long - I want a 650 dirt bike now now now. If it wasnt for her in doors I'd have done the "get licence now" course at Mainland Driving, have a 650 and be done with it. See I have self control - no licence, no 650 and having to put up with you lot talking about beautiful orange and black bikes.

Time to go for a walk in the rain.

R

far queue
7th August 2006, 20:32
Yip there is a follow on effect & having a bathroom is not under- rated. It's been so long that we've just forgotten what its like to have oneI wondered what that odour was, thought he must have stepped in something :whistle:

miSTa
7th August 2006, 21:43
I can control my urges with self control and mediation.

Are you sure thats not medication? :D

The 950 is a seriously nice looking bike though.

laRIKin
7th August 2006, 22:18
Are you sure thats not medication? :D

The 950 is a seriously nice looking bike though.

Both, Bourbon is a medicine.

laRIKin
7th August 2006, 22:21
I wondered what that odour was, thought he must have stepped in something :whistle:

I did, you know those little parcels that you leave on the ground just before you crash.:nya:

But seriously we have a proper shower in the wash house.
Just been going with out a bath and basin.
I have motivation now to finish it now.

laRIKin
7th August 2006, 22:30
I know enough about self control that 6 months of R licence is too damn long - I want a 650 dirt bike now now now.

Time to go for a walk in the rain.

I don't understand?
Are you trying to tell us you want a new bigger bike, maybe a 650?:innocent:

far queue
11th August 2006, 17:25
So the other guy that is looking hard at it, all so has a LC4 and wants it as well.
But like most of us it's down to finding money. (and properly putting it pass his wife) ...

... So the bike is still there for those of you that want to look at it in the flesh.I went and sat on your new bike today - man it's a big mother - way too big for me. It looks real nice, just way too big. Had to chat to the sales guy too, who said that the other fella who was looking at it has been told by his missus he's not allowed it. So, there you go, get the housework finished and it's all yours.

laRIKin
11th August 2006, 18:55
So, there you go, get the housework finished and it's all yours.
O if only it was that simple.

I'm not sure it is the right bike for me, as it only has a 13L tank.
Maybe the Adventure is a better choice after all.
And going by what the Adventure's are getting to a tank on the road.(300K's just)
If the Super Enduro was gear the same and ridden on the road, you would only get about 177K's to a tank.
Now if you gear it down (that is if it needs it) and are riding in the lower gears off road, you would get a even shorter range that that.
Now that scares me to where I could ride it before I have to top up the tank.
I get about 180k's to reserve and off road riding I have got it down to 120K's now on the LC4.
And I find that I want a bigger tank now.
So I have some food for thought.

I'm doing the first off the big shop's tomorrow, that is a new shower, toilet, Gib and and etc. (it's going to hurt)

cooneyr
12th August 2006, 16:56
I went and sat on your new bike today - man it's a big mother - way too big for me. It looks real nice, just way too big.

Well it was my turn to got and have a look today. I think I'm a little taller and heaver than you lot and even I couldnt put both heals on the ground. It is one big mother. Seriously like the room though, it is rather crampt on the Gerbil comparitively. The little fuel tank sux though. Can only hope that KTM makes a bigger one like they do for the LC4 640 E's (havent looked cause whats the point!).

Very nice bike.

Cheers
R

laRIKin
12th August 2006, 19:44
The little fuel tank sux though. Can only hope that KTM makes a bigger one like they do for the LC4 640 E's (havent looked cause whats the point!).

Yep they make a 18L and a 28L tank that goes from the Adventure model for the LC4.

And I'll wait to see if a bigger tank comes along for the Super E.

rogson
13th August 2006, 16:04
Ridiculous bike at a ridiculous price.
Wait for the dirt version(s) of the 690 single (prob 2008).
Far more practical.

miSTa
13th August 2006, 16:36
Just buy the bloody thing man, you know you want to, SDU will get over it eventually... :innocent:

jonbuoy
13th August 2006, 19:16
Thats bikes crying out for some sticky road rubber on the rims and a twisty back road.

Dazza
14th August 2006, 09:49
Yeah wouldn't mind a hoon on it but I think I'd start on a gravel road before venturing into the dirt, my LC4's heavy enough off road or maybe I just need to harden up.:wait:

clint640
14th August 2006, 10:48
Yep they make a 18L and a 28L tank that goes from the Adventure model for the LC4.

And I'll wait to see if a bigger tank comes along for the Super E.

I wonder if the 950 Supermoto tank would bolt on?

Cheers
Clint

laRIKin
14th August 2006, 16:48
I wonder if the 950 Supermoto tank would bolt on?

Cheers
Clint

Don't tease me.

Rik

PS: I had to edit a earlier post, The range stays the same but the Super E has a 13L tank and not a 15L.

PPS: Just read in a mag that it has a 14.5L tanks. What gives, does every one just pick a number they like?

cooneyr
14th August 2006, 18:52
Thats bikes crying out for some sticky road rubber on the rims and a twisty back road.

You mean like this one -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-65339653.htm
They've been around a little longer than the super enduro I think but not 100% sure.

R

laRIKin
23rd August 2006, 18:34
You mean like this one -
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Dual-purpose/auction-65339653.htm
They've been around a little longer than the super enduro I think but not 100% sure.

R

Yep they have been around for all most a year now, I think.

I have just read this report on the bike by a new owner at the KTMtalk.com site with the user name of Rovman
Thanks mate it was good to read a review from a normal person point of view.

Well,
I have 300 miles on my SE and have ridden the bike in many environments. The street riding has really surprised me. It really handles well, even with the Karoo's mostly geared toward offroad riding. So far, I have done some woods riding, a little single track, street, and fire roads. As someone mentioned earlier, the bike will pretty much do whatever YOU can do. The bike has the potential but it takes a fair amount of skill and strength to handle her.

For ....s and giggles, last week I took her down to the local MX track for some jumping. I showed up at the end of the day, hopeing that no one would be there, didn't want to embaress myself on this huge bike that is not really meant for the MX track.

First off I went to the sand drag strip to see how she handles in the deep sand. Wow lots of power and pretty stable in deep sand, just let the front end hunt a little push your weight back and hold on. I got up to about 65 mph in Deep sand with not much effort. The weight of the bike helps in deep sand tracking. However, the bike has more than enough power to exceed the level of traction the Karoo's can give. A smooth throttle hand, a little skill, and a little time to calibrate to the power and you should be able to adjust fairly quickly. After throwing rooster tails of sand about 75ft. long and 12 ft. high behind the bike I started to draw a crowd.

So, I made and exit and went over to a few jumps that were set up next to the sand drag strip. I was feeling good and jumps were calling so I decided to take it slow and build up speed slowly will getting the bike aloft. These were your typical table top jumps that were about 6 ft. high with a table top about 12 ft. long on top then sloping back to the ground. It was a little circuit with a few berms and 3 jumps. I believe it is a little circuit used to warm up the rider and bike prior to getting on the track.

After I went around 2 or 3 times there were about 8 or 10 guys watching. So what do you do when people are watching, start to show off a bit. Coming up to the first jump I brought up the speed to about 40 mph and the bike was roughly 10 feet in the air and cleared the table top and landed about 5 feet passed the jump alltogether. The landing was absolutly plush and smooth. I was floored. I was expecting to bottom out and have a really hard landing, but I experienced the exact opposite. I pulled off and checked my tie wrap on the front forks and it was about 1 1/2 inch from bottoming out. NOT BAD. At the time I hadn't touched the suspension yet, so this was the stock set up.

I then got back on the bike and went around for about 10 more circuits. All the jumps I went about as fast as before and the bike handled every one effortlessly. On the last time around I brought the speed up close to 45 mph , according to the people watching with eyes and mouths wide open, The bike was probably 12 feet in the air and I flew about 8 to 10 ft. passed the jump. The bike handled that just as good as all the other launches. Needless to say before Murphy reared his ugly head I decided to call it a day. My buddy and I pulled off to chew the fat and proceded to get mobbed by the people watching. The normal question were flying, what is it?, how many cc's?, etc. etc. etc.

Long story short, the bike has some very good and capable suspension. I weigh 195 lbs, and add about 20 more pounds with my riding gear, so with roughly 215 lbs. on the bike she handled those jumps without even blinking.
Needless to say I AM VERY HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE.

Some more information ya'll (from the south) might be interested in:
I was there with my buddy who happens to have a BMW HP2. We went there to compare thier offroad and suspension capabilities. We swapped bikes while we were there and I got test the HP2 on the same terrain that I rode my 950 on. I have to say that the HP2 feels very different yet is just as capable. The suspension is a little softer though. With me on his bike I was coming close to bottoming. He weighs about 250 lbs and was bottoming on his bike, coming close to on the SE. Without getting into to much detail, the suspension is totaly different on the HP2, The front forks have no spring preload adjusting, but have 2 rebound adjustments????? One is for normal rebound and the other is linear rebound???? not quite sure.

Anyway he is still learning about the suspension so perhaps it could be made to handle more weight, it will just take a little know how and set-up. The rear has a really trick AIR shock. No oil in it.... The bike also comes with an air pump so you can adjust the pressure(simulating spring pre-load). Pretty trick but I am not sure how proven. All in all, the suspension is top quality also, even though it takes a different approach. The one thing I did notice negative about the HP2 is when in low traction situations, the bikes back end would want to slide to one side and you would have to adjust to bring it back. Probably due to the shaft drive and torqueing issues. It wasn't too bad, and once I knew to expect it I could handle it pretty easily. It was just something I never had to deal with on my SE, due to its conventional lay out (chain drive). One thing that stand out about the HP2 is its abundance of torque. Wow, as soon as you are off idle, gobs of torque is available. Once again a judicial throtle hand is needed to get any sort of drive offroad. Both bikes have too much power for most offroad situations.

Did I just write that, too much power.
What I am hopeing to do next time we go for fun is to have a buddy of mine who is a photographer come along and take pictures of us excercising the bikes. Should be fun.

Rovman

cooneyr
23rd August 2006, 20:21
I have just read this report on the bike by a new owner at the KTMtalk.com site with the user name of Rovman
Thanks mate it was good to read a review from a normal person point of view.

That review is very interesting. Definatly sounds like a very cool bike. What was the link Lemans - I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one for some pics of the flying beautiful black and orange bike.

R

Transalper
24th August 2006, 17:54
This might be a little out of context and maybe even posted before? but for you who like the KTM's and snow...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhpkuaQanhQ

laRIKin
24th August 2006, 18:14
That review is very interesting. Definatly sounds like a very cool bike. What was the link Lemans - I'm going to have to keep an eye on that one for some pics of the flying beautiful black and orange bike.

R

Sure can CooneyR but the thread has dyed for the moment, but could fire up again after the weekend, when he has had another ride.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=183613

far queue
24th August 2006, 19:26
This might be a little out of context and maybe even posted before? but for you who like the KTM's and snow...Coooooool, could've done with one of these a couple of months ago at the Waimak.