PDA

View Full Version : I had a dream....

Motu
3rd August 2006, 20:25
When I had a BSA A10,I knew these existed - imagine....your broken bike transported 20 years into the future and all the problems rectified as a new bike.The 1972 Kawasaki W1 650 - an almost identical Japanese version of the BSA A10 650.

I might sell one of my kids......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=65042010

The Japanese really did copy the British....

bladez
3rd August 2006, 20:38
bloody good old bikes :yes: mates got one restored it all over a year road it twice and parked it up :gob: he moved to germany and comes back every 5-6 years last time i seen it it had that much crap on it doesent look good anymore :angry:

Colapop
3rd August 2006, 20:42
Sell one of the kids - they're old enough to find their way back!

eliot-ness
3rd August 2006, 20:47
When I had a BSA A10,I knew these existed - imagine....your broken bike transported 20 years into the future and all the problems rectified as a new bike.The 1972 Kawasaki W1 650 - an almost identical Japanese version of the BSA A10 650.

I might sell one of my kids......

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=65042010

The Japanese really did copy the British....

Not a copy Motu. The A10 was built under license by Megura, (I think) who were taken over by Kawasaki who also took over the license. I think I'd prefer the original A10 or better still, the Road Rocket

Motu
3rd August 2006, 21:26
No,not a copy,but they started with the blueprints and improved the bike - long after BSA had stopped making them too.The Japanese were making some pretty outdated products well into the '70's,you could still see the British and American influence in the '80's.

I've never seen one in the flesh,because they weren't sold here,any you see are imported.But I've done a fair bit of work on the old A7/A10 motor....10 years past their used by date they weren't a lot of fun to work on.

Ghost Lemur
3rd August 2006, 23:08
Don't sell a kid.

Put the buggers to work. They owe you their lives.

Not to mention your going to need a steedy stream of cash to get your dream machine mint and on the road.

Ixion
3rd August 2006, 23:55
I always wanted one of those. The pre unit ones.

They used to be a sort of a legend, that somewhere in Japan they made 650 twins , that were like proper Briddish iron, but with all the Jap goody stuff.

People used to speculate why they never left Japan.

Never knew anyone who'd even seen one, until now.

Motu
4th August 2006, 00:02
I had a workshop manual covering many brands and models of bikes,must of been a Clymer (I still have it) because it had Harley too.....and this Kawasaki 650.It was pretty obvious it was an A10,but that's all I had of it for years....a glimps into another world.It's only recently they have sprung out of the woodwork - from Japan...or America? Too big a project,but I know I dreamed of a 12volt A10 that didn't leak oil and blow up.....

4th August 2006, 00:46
I had a workshop manual covering many brands and models of bikes,must of been a Clymer (I still have it) because it had Harley too.....and this Kawasaki 650.It was pretty obvious it was an A10,but that's all I had of it for years....a glimps into another world.It's only recently they have sprung out of the woodwork - from Japan...or America? Too big a project,but I know I dreamed of a 12volt A10 that didn't leak oil and blow up.....

They did make it over to the states, manufactured for two years only I think.

model W650.

A local bike shop had one cafe racered up, alloy manx style tank, clip ons rearsets etc.

Very tasty ( they priced it at 6 large though)

This article reviews it and references the W1 as well :http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mckaw/00w650.html

T.W.R
4th August 2006, 01:08
Sturdy old school bike :yes: . The W1/W2/W3 Commander were made from 1965-75. pretty much went head to head against the XS-1/B & XS2 Yamaha

Edbear
4th August 2006, 07:02
They did make it over to the states, manufactured for two years only I think.

model W650.

A local bike shop had one cafe racered up, alloy manx style tank, clip ons rearsets etc.

Very tasty ( they priced it at 6 large though)

This article reviews it and references the W1 as well :http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mckaw/00w650.html

That's the current one.:yes:

An English Classic Bike mag did a comparo with the A10 not long ago and decided the Kawa was the better bike, but lacked the image. Always liked the Kawa for the same reasons as you, Motu. Got a book on the history of Kawsaki which lists the various versions of the bike.

I do like the current W650, though and would like to get one. Our kids are all grown up nad married now... Hee hee!:blip: