PDA

View Full Version : Scooter coats revisited

DougB
4th August 2006, 00:17
Was walking past a horse gear shop on Te Rapa road Hamilton and saw drovers coats for $140. Today I visited again on my scoot, put on a large one over my usual gear and then sat on my scooter. It was almost identical to the ones Jap ones shown in Aska's earlier post of 11 July "Found something interesting on the internet".It came right down to cover my boots. There are leg straps and it is split up the back for horse riders. Only drawback they are black. The lady in the shop was very interested and said that as they made the coats they could be interested in making and marketing special scooter coats. I am taking her a print out of the Jap ones shown in Askas post tomorrow.

I carry over trousers but it takes time to put them on and it is always in the rain so I get wet. With this coat it could be on over whatever I am wearing, giving head to toe weather protection in seconds. I dont give a stuff if I look strange, odd or "queer" as long as it works for me.

Tomorrow I will go back and see how much room it will take up in the under seat compartment. If it fits I will buy one and keep my over trousers for when I ride my bike.

Ixion
4th August 2006, 00:41
I would be intereste din something like that.

But would it work on a motorcycle ?

You used to be able to get them so they sort of went across the tank rather like a divided apron and covered your legs.

Whereabouts in Te Rapa is it?

I too don't give a toss what I look like. Form follows function in my book, if it works right it looks right.

DougB
4th August 2006, 16:08
I dont think the coat would work well on a motorcycle.I will not be using it when riding mine, but on my scooter where we ride in the 'knees together' position they would be ideal. Scooter blankets? have been discussed here or on another forum. They wrap around the waist and attach to the frount of the scooter. Sound like to much time to fit
but the idea is good.

I hark back to the days when I started biking, we had ex army greatcoats and put pads of newspaper under our shirts to provide insulating warmth and a balaclava to keep the ears from getting frostbite. No helmets available then.

Kendog
4th August 2006, 18:51
Speaking of horsey type gear... I have often wondered how effective equestrian's back braces would be in a crash off the bike? Anyone know?
Mrs KD.

Steam
30th August 2006, 23:05
I had one of those coats in Taiwan, totally waterproof, windproof. awesome. Massively dorky, but how cool is being wet.

sKilled
28th September 2006, 22:58
Hey if they manufacture, would they be able to make one to my measurements? (I am 6ft6, with a normal buil, so if it fits my torso the sleeves are usually too short - or the sleeves fit but I can hide half a dozen jihadists in there).

NSR-Dan
29th September 2006, 18:27
Meh

i just wear my snowboard gear on my scooter. its waterproof up to 15m and will keep me dry for hours in the rain.