PDA

View Full Version : GN250 start up issue

FilthyLuka
5th August 2006, 12:52
hey guys.

my gn250 (1990) has stopped starting up! whenever i go to turn it over, all that happens is a click comes from behind the battery. I took out the battery and used a wire brush to get all the oxidation of the connections. Still no joy. so i took out the battery and checked all the connections. None of them appear to be melted or broken. Any ideas as to the problem? i suspect the click is coming from a small metal cyclinder behind the battery with a wire going in to it. My electrical know-how is sadly very little so i dont know where to start...

Denis

Ixion
5th August 2006, 13:37
Your battery is flat. Either because it is stuffed (most likely), or because you have left the lights on or something. Charge the battery. If the problem reoccurs, replace the battery .
The click is the starter solenoid angaging.

FilthyLuka
5th August 2006, 13:43
i have never left the lights on. ill check the battery with a multimeter and get back to you. I doubt its the battery though because the solenoid clicked once, then the bike fired up on the second try. Then after a 1/2 hour ride, i tried to fire the bike up and it just clicks. Either way ill measure the battery and see if i get the correct voltage.

FilthyLuka
5th August 2006, 14:43
okay, i managed to roll start the gn, i let it idle in neutral for a while (10min) and then i turned it of. Straight afterwards i try to fire it up, the engine turns over once (doesnt fire) and then the solenoid starts clicking again. so, probably whats happening is the battery tries to turn the engine over, shits itself and cant do it again. Im getting a multimeter later on today so ill measure the battery and see if it is infact the problem. If it isnt, im afraid it might be something expensive :(

Denis

FilthyLuka
5th August 2006, 16:59
hmm, odd. I topped up the battery with some distilled water and now it works plenty decent. im gonna leave the bike for about an hour and see if it still fires up then...

Denis

98tls
5th August 2006, 17:16
now you have topped up battery....put it on a charger overnight.

Drunken Monkey
5th August 2006, 20:40
idle revs will not provide enough power back to the battery to charge it properly, you need to get out and ride it.

FilthyLuka
6th August 2006, 10:16
okay, i charged up the battery overnight and i jump on the old girl this morning and hit the starter button. No usual 10 seconds of starter motor before it fires, oh no, hit the button and the thing just burst into life straight away! it never did this before when cold. I know the dude that sold me the bike got the battery out of a crashed bike and just topped it up with battery acid, he probably never fully charged it...

Now, hopefully it will hold onto said charge and will fire up again tonight when i gotta go home.

Thanks for all your help guys. :rockon:

Denis

degrom
13th August 2006, 20:23
How old is your battery? I bought a second hand bike recently and the previous owner said that he replaced the battery about a year ago...

I have rid-ed the bike about 20 times since I bought it and now the battery seems to be dieing.

Does any one know how long a new battery should last? I know my first car battery lasted almost 6 years...

JaseC
17th October 2006, 17:56
Yea i had the same problem just bought a new batterry fires every time now

sunhuntin
18th October 2006, 19:40
okay, i charged up the battery overnight and i jump on the old girl this morning and hit the starter button. No usual 10 seconds of starter motor before it fires, oh no, hit the button and the thing just burst into life straight away! it never did this before when cold. I know the dude that sold me the bike got the battery out of a crashed bike and just topped it up with battery acid, he probably never fully charged it...

Now, hopefully it will hold onto said charge and will fire up again tonight when i gotta go home.

Thanks for all your help guys. :rockon:

Denis

im having the exact same thing with my bike...[05 ginny] battery crapped at work [see my thread furthur down about battery] my boss charged, she held that charge for a few days, went to start today, and the same as what you described [click, lights on dash going out when i press the starter etc] lights cant be left on as they go off with the key [or mine do]
local mechanics came and picked up the bike this afternoon...the way theyve explained, it sounds like the bike isnt charging the battery properly [the battery is from 2004....bought the bike less than a year ago, brand new]
im hoping to get her back tomorrow, as ive got a big weekend planned.

best of luck mate.

EDIT! ive just got back from the shop...my regulator is stuffed...the 3 yellow wires are crapped out...only charging through 2 i think. so might be something for you to consider getting checked luka.