PDA

View Full Version : Sugilites Dvirke-Manawatu Gorge-Akatarawas-Takas-LakeFerry-Masterton-Pongoroa-HM Ride

sugilite
6th August 2006, 03:35
Warning: If you do not like long posts, click on close window.
It was 1am Saturday morning, nothing was rustling, not even a mouse, hold it thats a lie because I was at my PC using the mouse to check on what Wellington rides were happening later that day! There appeared to be two groups meeting at the same place at the same time.
I set my alarm for the dreaded time of 6:45 am and go to bed thinking about corners, Pongoroa, corners Alfredon, corners Rimutakas, corners, corners, corners :zzzz:

BRAH, BRAH, BRAH The evil alarm chops through my sleep state with all the subtlety of a chainsaw, For fucks sake I think, maybe I should just nuke the ride, roll over and go back to sleep.
An incredibly long 1.5 seconds later I spring out of bed, wracked by guilt, I promise myself right then and there that I would sacrifice many a bug this day to appease the mighty biker gods in hope of redemption for even having such a thought!

The sun was shining the birds were tweeting as I suited up and fired the bike into life.
As the bike warms up with it's purposeful growling exhaust note, my spirit was skipping and soaring ahead, anticipating the amazing synergy as man and machine merge into one, transcending the rat race we live in, with all it's trappings, weights and burdens. They simply melt away as the kilometers start slipping by.

The plan was to head off to Dannevirke, gas up, then head for Webber, Pongoroa, Masterton and take the interesting way to the Takas to meet the KB crews.

Choke off, Visor down, I snick the bike into gear, we smoothly surge forwards. I ease her through the gears tentatively picking my way through the wet undulating twists and turns.
With the rising sun shining brightly upon me and there not being a breath of wind, I was thinking it just does not get any better, and I was right!
Rounding the bend coming onto the 2 km "Jetting Straight" I see some mist in the distance, then lots more of it. :nono:

Within a short space of time we are submerged into a foreign wet and murky world.
The once familiar road that seemed so welcoming and friendly just moments ago had now become a sneering, snarling adversary intent on waging a campaign of surprise attacks within the murky mists.

A change of plan was required, so I bypassed Dannevirke and set out to head down the western side of the North Island.
The fog continued to shroud us in a pal of gloom dreariness. I had to follow the car in front, with passing only being an option for fools, I submitted to the fog and bide my time knowing that sooner or later we will escape this infernal mist.

As I head toward the Manawatu Gorge the ever oppressing fog appears to be losing its grip and light starts to appear. The suns rays start to pierce through as we snake our way through the gorge. With the demons of fog now vanquished we start to soar. The sound of the induction roar combined with the howl of the four into one exhaust reverberate of the rock walls creating a harmonious symphony of sound that nourishes the riders spirit and soul.

While pumping gas at the Linton BP, I'm attempting to calculate distance, speeds and times trying to work out if I will meet the KB crew in time for the 10:30 departure time from the Rimutaka Caltex.

The roads are starting to dry out and the bike and myself are finding our rhythm as the kilometers start to slide past with greater haste.
Approaching Waikanae the drums of the Akatarawas are reaching a crescendo and will not be denied!

As I enter the realm of the Akatarawas I have corners appearing and greeting me as long lost friends from the past. It had been a long time, way, way to long.
The winding road twists it's way ever upwards climbing out of rugged pasture lands into the bush zone, at times just hanging precariously to the edge of cliff faces.

With my head constantly swiveling around on my neck, my eyes are on full alert watching for any flicker of movement signifying other vehicles.
The often one lane road is notoriously unforgiving of any lapse in concentration.
I spot a slight flash of movement through the bushes and I slow and sure enough, around the next corner comes a cyclist, the cheeky buggar yells abuse at me whilst invading my side of the road! I chuckle as in my minds eye I see myself turning round and kicking him off the nearest big droooooooooooooooop that are found in ready supply on this road!

The road being wet in many areas, covered in moss and other debry has me just caressing the throttle and stroking the brake lever gently, my senses are constantly seeking traction reports from both tyres.

Nearing the outskirts of Upper Hutt has us enjoying a transition to a drier road and we start to accelerate harder, brake later and lean further.
Starting up the last hill we are greeted with positive cambers which have us ducking, dancing and diving into and out of the bends with un abandoned glee.
Optimum synergy between motorcycle and rider has been reached, zen state is attained and we are transported into our own time and space.
Though all too soon though the kill joy 50 kph sign has me on notification that we have arrived in Upper Hutt.

Low and behold I pull into the Caltex at 10:25 am with a whole 5 minutes to spare, whew :sweatdrop
As I fill up with 91, a rider with the latest gear pulls up on a 06 ZX10R sporting akropovic mufflers, niiiiiice!
He takes a glance at me in my faded leathers and aged bike and a look of disdain spreads across his face. As he struts purposely off to pay for his gas, I glance at his tyres, they always tell a story, and it's always found in the non fiction section. The authors tyres were a short uninspiring read with tales of pansies, Chicken recipies and soggy seaweed.
For a short moment I seriously considered putting Sir ZX10R to the sword or at the very least a good old fashioned public humiliation session.:devil2:
However, the desire to be sociable with kindred souls won over, so I sauntered over to meet Limbimtimwim, MAXIMUSDEMERITUS, Uncle B and wasp.

In short order it was off to the Rimutakas summit!
The other Kwaka and myself ease ahead and set a brisk pace to the top of the hill. UncleB and Wasp went out on training exercices, Limbimtimwim and MAXIMUSDEMERITUS decided to push on to Castle point.
I decide to stay at the summit for a while and have some breakfast.
While I was chatting to a few bikers I heard the unmistakable sound of a powerful Ducati coming. I turn to see non other than Flame on this weeks bike , that being her super tasty Ben Bostrum replica Duke She also had Sparky Bill, Skelstar and Andreas in tow. I was starting to sense some good fun riding ahead!

We all took off to Featherston to pick up the last member of the crew, and what a huge surprise to see who it was, yep, yet another female racer, Aria on her GSXR600!
It was now a 6 bike pose containing four current road race contenders.
Yep, it was going to be a slow ride....yeah right!!!
We cruised over to Martinborough and I admired the line up of MV's at one of the cafes there and wondered if they rode or trailered their bikes there...
Heading away from Martinborough, Flame set a cracking pace and we made good time to Lake Ferry. I couldn't help but chuckle at the line up of bikes, all new and shiny late model blasters and then my bike, a decidedly crusty looking 1989 ZXR750 lol.

We got back on the bikes and the girls led us out heading back to Martinborough for gas. They started cranking up the pace once on the open road and as I matched the girls pace I noticed the other lads were dwindling in my mirrors :oi-grr:
I can not tell you how fast we were going as my modified ZX9R front mud guards fork protector had somehow caused my speedo cable to break, but I'm sure the girls would not have recklessly led me astray by going over 100 kph :innocent:

Sparky Bill and Andreas headed for home, which just left 4 of us. I conned the others into doing an extended loop of Gladstone, Cliff hanger road, Looping back around to Masterton. I was esp eager to do those awesome orgasmic sweepers coming down the hill on the last leg to Masterton!

Being the nice guy that I am I rode as 1st up crash test dummy for the reportedly slippery conditions we were heading into. It was not to bad as it turns out. I took them on a short tour over Admirals road which is always a blast (I felt guilty bout taking you up there Skelstar when I heard you only been riding about a year! Sorry bro!)

I came 2nd in the open class in the cliffhanger event held earlier in the year, so I set a good pace up this hill climb.
Flame and I pulled away and I enjoyed seeing a Ducati being punted as intended by their designers! I'm well impressed with your riding skills Flame and you sure punt the Duke harder than your ZX9R!:gob:

All to soon we were heading into Masterton. Just before the 70 kph area, Skelstar put in an aggressive passing move on us racers and then fair smoked his tyres leaving us in his wake. It's amazing what the smell of good coffee will do for some riders!
While I gleefully scoffed down Flames baked wedges we put on a KB comedy act for an elderly couple. We had them giggling up a storm and I'm sure they have a slightly different view of motorcyclists now :yes:

It was time for me to part ways with the crew :bye: and depart for home.
I left Masterton with a full tank of gas, I needed it, for there are no gas stations within the next 170 kilometers stretch to home.
It is such a lonely stretch of road there are only two one pub towns to go through!!!
I must have seen no more than 15 cars the whole way home!
I arrived back just on dusk feeling content that I had enjoyed a great day of about 500 Kilometers or so of riding.
I thank the heavens above that I was born in this AMAZING country. Amen

slowpoke
6th August 2006, 04:49
And that's being polite! I'm stuck out at work a looooong way from any land at all and you've just reminded of everything I love about motorcycling: great roads and good bikes although it's a shame you didn't do a bit better with the company...and the fog, you can keep that shit....
Seriously mate, fantastic write up, just wish I could have been there. Then again there's no substitute for time on a bike, so I'm knackered just getting the ol' girl outta the shed, let alone coping with the orgy of corners you seem to thrive on.
I'll catch you...er, make that you'll catch me...on the 'taka's in a couple of weeks.
Now I'm off to start up the crane, it's got a rattly ol' Cummins in it that sounds just like a Honda....

Oh yeah, where's this Gladstone hillclimb road? I'm gonna have to investigate that lil' number, it's only just down the road.

Uncle B
6th August 2006, 09:29
Fantastic writeup Sugilite,
Reading your post makes me grow impatient for the long summer rides where 12 hour sessions on the bike are the norm and munching up 700+ k's on favorite roads that are best revisited during the longer daylight hours.

Roll on summer.

cowpoos
6th August 2006, 10:25
And that's being polite! I'm stuck out at work a looooong way from any land at all and you've just reminded of everything I love about motorcycling: great roads and good bikes although it's a shame you didn't do a bit better with the company...and the fog, you can keep that shit....
Seriously mate, fantastic write up, just wish I could have been there. Then again there's no substitute for time on a bike, so I'm knackered just getting the ol' girl outta the shed, let alone coping with the orgy of corners you seem to thrive on.
I'll catch you...er, make that you'll catch me...on the 'taka's in a couple of weeks.
Now I'm off to start up the crane, it's got a rattly ol' Cummins in it that sounds just like a Honda....

Oh yeah, where's this Gladstone hillclimb road? I'm gonna have to investigate that lil' number, it's only just down the road.
txt me when ya get home....I'll give ya directions to the watertower road [hill climb]

T.W.R
6th August 2006, 10:56
Great write-up Sugi, enjoyable to read as always :first:

lols don't belittle the ZXR :nono: still capable of showing more modern machinery a thing or two, as per my sig :blip: it all boils down to the pilot :yes:

babyB
6th August 2006, 11:16
way coo write up Sugi :2thumbsup sounds like a premo day ya had

lmao at 1am ya could have come got me...... ya know ya sposed to share:nya:

Kendog
6th August 2006, 11:23
Great write up Sugi, sorry we missed you at Rimutex,(not that you missed much by not seeing us!) we must have left just before you arrived. Sounds like you all had an awesome ride!!

Rossi Gal
6th August 2006, 13:53
Aweomse write-up Sugilite!!! and what a wicked ride. the coolest play ground to have!! thanks again :)

Bonez
6th August 2006, 14:07
Well done! This'll look familiar then ;) - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7585

skelstar
6th August 2006, 16:24
Cheers for the ride Sugi. Was good to hangout for the day (albeit at the back). That Admirals road was a pile of shit and I WAS cursing your name, but dont worry about my inexperience dude, Ive done some kms... :niceone:.

Madness
6th August 2006, 16:36
It was a lovely day at Castlepoint too by the way. It's suprising how many slips have come down in the past month in the back-roads, that and the lichen moss and a sprinkling of rain made the return ride in the late afternoon even more interesting.

Good to meet ya Sugilite!

limbimtimwim
6th August 2006, 16:50
As I fill up with 91, a rider with the latest gear pulls up on a 06 ZX10R sporting akropovic mufflers, niiiiiice!
He takes a glance at me in my faded leathers and aged bike and a look of disdain spreads across his face. As he struts purposely off to pay for his gas, I glance at his tyres, they always tell a story, and it's always found in the non fiction section.Don't you mean 'non-friction' section? ;) Pretty sure it was the same guy whom me and Skelstar passed at Manfield on the straights. I can understand the ZX-10R is an intimidating machine, but maybe you made the wrong choice if you can't get up the courage to smoke a 12 year old 400 being ridden by a fatty in a straight line.
I arrived back just on dusk feeling content that I had enjoyed a great day of about 500 Kilometers or so of riding.
I honestly thought I hadn't heard you right when you were saying where you had already rode that morning by 10:30. Respect :)

Me and Max had a good ride out to Castle Point, via martinboughghghgh. But the crud on the Castle Point road made it a little disappointing because one could not trust the surface. Funnily enough, the southbound side of the road was a bit cleaner.

Felt great coming down the water tower road, the rain stopping at the summit, dry on the way down. When I saw you guys at the intersection, I felt a bonus round going up was required. Couldn't get past Skelstar in a safe manner, and besides, I was only going to the top. The cyclists looked so incredulous when they saw me coming back down for the second time!!! I am sure they were thinking :tugger: :weird:

In fact, cyclists often look at me with incredulity.

chanceyy
6th August 2006, 17:01
awesome write up as per normal sugi .. enjoy reading your exploits, guess i missed you going past, since i had to work yesterday :(

must have been a classic car show in palmy yesterday though cause going to horses around 6am there was shit loads of classics on the road even more when coming back & heading into work .. :blip:

skelstar
6th August 2006, 17:14
That was you behind us!!! Rossi-gal and I had been sure that there was someone behind us but then you were gone. Wooooooo ghost bike.

cowpoos
6th August 2006, 18:28
Aweomse write-up Sugilite!!! and what a wicked ride. the coolest play ground to have!! thanks again :)
we don't have tomato juice....so ya might just have to have a bourbon....

limbimtimwim
6th August 2006, 18:59
That was you behind us!!! Rossi-gal and I had been sure that there was someone behind us but then you were gone. Wooooooo ghost bike.Wooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Here is some footage I got yesterday of said ghost rider. Sorry about the size of the file. He was a nice person, liked to haunt places and say weird things.

Okay, 'twas me. The footage is fake. Giant riderless bike aside; I can't mono this well.

skelstar
6th August 2006, 20:14
Nice vid lbtw (leg before the wicket?).
So much for creating a local legend...well of the supernatural kind anyway...

sugilite
6th August 2006, 23:22

Sweet bro, see ya there. I'll be planning a series of rides round my local roads too.
I guess as I'm on the Waiarapa electrol role, I must qualify as being on the Waiarapa crew?

Fantastic writeup Sugilite,
Reading your post makes me grow impatient for the long summer rides where 12 hour sessions on the bike are the norm and munching up 700+ k's on favorite roads that are best revisited during the longer daylight hours.

Roll on summer.

For sure man, and roll on mud free roads too!

lols don't belittle the ZXR still capable of showing more modern machinery a thing or two, as per my sig it all boils down to the pilot

Na, not I don't mean to belittle it in any shape or form. As I mentioned to a few people on Sat, I really enjoy riding the 750 and have no intention or desire for a change of roadbike! It appears to be doing everything I ask of it quite happily anyways :blip:

lmao at 1am ya could have come got me...... ya know ya sposed to share:nya:

Ha! And share I will, watch out for a "Sugilites excellent adventures" road ride coming near you! I'll be planning a series of rides in both nth and sth Islands once the actrix series has finished. I'll be riding on what I hope will be the Post Classic Senior series winning machine!

Sorry we missed you at Rimutex,(not that you missed much by not seeing us!) we must have left just before you arrived. Sounds like you all had an awesome ride!!

Awwww, drats! Hopefully I'll catch up with you both next time eh. Don't be strangers, I'm not one of these tossers that will only talk to other people who's bikes are of the same capacity or larger or just a "little" bit slower than me, it's not like I ride a blue ZX636R eh :lol:

Was really cool to have you along on the ride Rossi Gal. You were riding really well on unknown roads!
See if Poos can come along on the next one. Pssst, don't tell him bout that secret takas ambush I have planned for him eh!

Well done! This'll look familiar then ;) - http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7585

Funnily enough, yes, it does look very familiar!

Cheers for the ride Sugi. Was good to hangout for the day (albeit at the back). That Admirals road was a pile of shit and I WAS cursing your name, but dont worry about my inexperience dude, Ive done some kms...

Hehehe, I'll remain unrepentant on Admirals road, get rid of the mud slips and it will be back to it's technical best, roads like that can teach us shitloads bro . :yes:
Hey, as you guys were all wearing the obviously fashionable Black and White Leathers, when Sparky Bill went past me doing that horn mono, I momentarily thought it was you and I thought, Holy hell, why does that guy not race with skills like that :p

Don't you mean 'non-friction' section? ;) Pretty sure it was the same guy whom me and Skelstar passed at Manfield on the straights. I can understand the ZX-10R is an intimidating machine, but maybe you made the wrong choice if you can't get up the courage to smoke a 12 year old 400 being ridden by a fatty in a straight line.

The cyclists looked so incredulous when they saw me coming back down for the second time!!! I am sure they were thinking
In fact, cyclists often look at me with incredulity.

Yeah, Another KiwiBiker informed me that he put Sir ZX10R to the sword later that day, thank goodness, as someone needed to do it! It's only right it should be a rider from KB!

As for the cyclists, they don't pay rego fees, thus they don't own the roads like we do, so feel free to punt them off it any time you like :devil2:

must have been a classic car show in palmy yesterday though cause going to horses around 6am there was shit loads of classics on the road even more when coming back & heading into work

Yep, I saw swags of them too, some real nice machines were going past for sure!

we don't have tomato juice....so ya might just have to have a bourbon....

Huh, WTF????? Is it mushrooms season down there Poos?

I had to trim some of my ride report down to make the max char regulations, I'd wanted to mention I saw a guy on a KR150 up the hill, I'm quite sure he is on KB. I overheard him say he loved going down hill better...I can relate to that man, as I had a couple of RG250's in my past. I followed you for a while going down the Featherston side of the hill and you were riding really well with very good smooth lines. Keep it up and we will see you doing well on a race track soon. Heres a hot tip, keep to the Kawasakis!!! seems like the older they are the more race wins you get :blip:

skelstar
7th August 2006, 08:53
...I'm quite sure he is on KB....
Im pretty sure youre talking about RG100. I knew what this guy could do on his bike and let him get through on the way up (not an excuse I really did). Was quite keen to learn some tips but the traffic was traffiking and the point was moot. Nevermind. You shoulda come along with us RG.

Sparky Bills
7th August 2006, 09:18
Was good to get out with people again.
I hadnt been up the Tukas since Jan/Feb, so was good to remind myself what its like.
Far too many cars though, and had some dick in a WRX want to pass all the cars before me!

Oh well.
Am looking forward to getting out again.

Oh and Thanx Andries for letting me ride your new toy on the way back to Matinbourogh (sp?) from Lake Ferry. I didnt rev her too hard:innocent:

flame
7th August 2006, 15:42
Another fun filled ride, chats, giggles, slow bits, fast bits and faster bits, dirt, rain, stonechips and laughs! all what weekends are for, and of course us girls would'nt lead you astray Sug!! lol :msn-wink:

Enjoyed tagging on behind ya up the hillclimb :)

Thanks to all you guys for sharing the ride. Really looking forward to the next one.

Rossi Gal
7th August 2006, 18:38
Another fun filled ride, chats, giggles, slow bits, fast bits and faster bits, dirt, rain, stonechips and laughs! all what weekends are for, and of course us girls would'nt lead you astray Sug!! lol :msn-wink:

Enjoyed tagging on behind ya up the hillclimb :)

Thanks to all you guys for sharing the ride. Really looking forward to the next one.
thank you chicky!! was awesome funs!!! :)