PDA

View Full Version : A new bike in my garage

miSTa
6th August 2006, 09:16
Well I've done it! The mighty Kawasaki ZZR1100 has been replaced with a 2000 BMW R1150GS.

This is the best move I've ever made, the BMW is a great bike and is getting better each time I ride it. It's comfortable, light (lighter than the ZZR and no doubt helped by the wide bars as well), lots of usable grunt with quite surprising acceleration, and it's naked and great looking. I like it.

I'm really looking forward to exploring the back roads and getting off the beaten path.

PS: who can tell me where the shot looking towards to snow capped mountains was taken?

TonyB
6th August 2006, 09:26
Awesome ZZR! I take it a name change might be in order?

Been thinking of swapping from road to dual purpose myself.

paturoa
6th August 2006, 09:32
PS: who can tell me where the shot looking towards to snow capped mountains was taken?

South of the Bombays I'd guess.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 09:35
A name change is definately needed, not sure what but am open to sensible suggestions.

I think that a DS is the only way to go. I don't feel that I'm missing out on anything roadwise with the BMW and have everything to gain offroad. A visit to http://www.advrider.com will show a lot of BMWs in some pretty extreme places.

dangerous
6th August 2006, 10:00
A name change is definately needed, not sure what but am open to sensible suggestions.
GHOB... gray haired old boy, hey ZZR awesome how that old persons kraut built bike is colour coded to your hair... did it come with a walking stick in the top box?

Pics somewere near Mayfield?
congrads on the new bike, coulda been worse, coulda been a Goldwing... hey you joining the Ulysses now? :scooter:

Transalper
6th August 2006, 10:10
Congrats on the purchase.
It's all down to the learning curve and tyre choice now.
So we will keep an eye on meetings and events for you to suggest a nice run somewhere now should we?

T.W.R
6th August 2006, 10:10
Nice new scoot ZZR :yes: so who have you been immitating so far Mcgregor or Borman ?:wait:

lols don't listen to the ginga ninnie (p/t D :nya: ) it's a good looking machine and way better looking than a Guzzi Quota

The pic looks like your parked just above the intersection at Ashburton forks looking up towards Alford Forest.

Rashika
6th August 2006, 10:14

SENSIBLE?! geez better not ask us then ;)
gess youe need a sensible name to go with your very sensible bike eh?

Will be kinda sad not to the zzr following behind now... :( :innocent:
and just what the hell is that bloody thing under the headlights? Looks just a little bit scary, is that like bull bars for a motorbike? :blip: Maybe its where the german hitchhikers sit?

oh yeah, congrats on the bike dude ;)

laRIKin
6th August 2006, 10:28
Nice bike you will have a lot of fun on that.

I can feel a Lees Valley trip come up soon, real soon.

We were going to go to day for a real quick trip, but because we both had stuff to do around the house.
G.M needs to get the hot water back on, and I must do some more work in the bathroom.
And we both are after some brownie points. (I want a new bike)
And because of the weather we are giving it a miss.

far queue
6th August 2006, 10:43
Well I've done it! The mighty Kawasaki ZZR1100 has been replaced with a 2000 BMW R1150GS.Good choice, nice bike. That'll be a blast on the dirt roads.

It's comfortable, light (lighter than the ZZR and no doubt helped by the wide bars as well).You wont think it's so light when you have to wriggle out from under it, and then pick it up for the first time on some dirt track out the back of beyond :D

I'm really looking forward to exploring the back roads and getting off the beaten path.It'll be good to ride along with you.

far queue
6th August 2006, 10:46
I can feel a Lees Valley trip come up soon, real soon.

We were going to go to day for a real quick trip, but because we both had stuff to do around the house.How about a quick blat through there next weekend? Saturday would be best for me, but Sunday is OK.

laRIKin
6th August 2006, 11:55
How about a quick blat through there next weekend? Saturday would be best for me, but Sunday is OK.

Could be on for that, will check with Green Meanie and PM you.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:32
GHOB... gray haired old boy, hey ZZR awesome how that old persons kraut built bike is colour coded to your hair... did it come with a walking stick in the top box?

Pics somewere near Mayfield?
congrads on the new bike, coulda been worse, coulda been a Goldwing... hey you joining the Ulysses now? :scooter:

:nono: You young bucks have no respect for your elders do you? :finger: I look forward to your 40th. ;)

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:34
Congrats on the purchase.
It's all down to the learning curve and tyre choice now.
So we will keep an eye on meetings and events for you to suggest a nice run somewhere now should we?

Cheers matey.

A learning curve? Yep, just a little one - have been seriously off sealed roads for years. Looking forward to it.

Oscar
6th August 2006, 12:34
Just for GS's...

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:36
Nice new scoot ZZR :yes: so who have you been immitating so far Mcgregor or Borman ?:wait:

lols don't listen to the ginga ninnie (p/t D :nya: ) it's a good looking machine and way better looking than a Guzzi Quota

The pic looks like your parked just above the intersection at Ashburton forks looking up towards Alford Forest.

Cheers. I way better looking than Mcgregor or Borman so at least I'll look good falling off.

No where near Ashburton for the pic.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:41
SENSIBLE?! geez better not ask us then ;)
gess youe need a sensible name to go with your very sensible bike eh?

Will be kinda sad not to the zzr following behind now... :( :innocent:
and just what the hell is that bloody thing under the headlights? Looks just a little bit scary, is that like bull bars for a motorbike? :blip: Maybe its where the german hitchhikers sit?

oh yeah, congrats on the bike dude ;)

Bloody hell, if its not D its you :nono:

The ZZR only followed you on a couple of occasions and then by my choice :shake:

Cheers for your comments G ;)

Transalper
6th August 2006, 12:41
How about a quick blat through there next weekend? Saturday would be best for me, but Sunday is OK.
I could do Saturday, but Sunday should be the next sealed road Plains Club run and i'm intending to do this one as i've missed the last few of theirs.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:46
Good choice, nice bike. That'll be a blast on the dirt roads.

You wont think it's so light when you have to wriggle out from under it, and then pick it up for the first time on some dirt track out the back of beyond :D

It'll be good to ride along with you.

Thanks Owen. I had thought about the weight but really too bad. I remember being a youg fella working on a farm south of Te Awamutu and getting the bosses DT175 stuck in a creek. That was hard work as was freeing the tractor I used to get the bike out. Thank goodness the boss never found out. If I can get out of that then I can get out of anything.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:51
Just for GS's...

What do we have here...a couple of 1200s and a HP2. That would be a great ride shame in it's the wrong part of the country.

Oscar
6th August 2006, 12:56
What do we have here...a couple of 1200s and a HP2. That would be a great ride shame in it's the wrong part of the country.

That's me on the left.
I got to ride all three that day (and have the GSA for the weekend).
The HP2...Wow.

miSTa
6th August 2006, 12:57
As for doing Lees Valley next weekend that sounds like a great idea. I do have a preference for Sunday but either day...

As for the picture, I cannot believe that no one knows where this photo was taken and what mountain range its captured.

Ruralman
7th August 2006, 10:11
You might be interested in this ride if yu have time in Feb. The GS would be ideal.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33279

SDU
7th August 2006, 15:47
Awesome bike. Bet you had a blast riding it through the Kaikoura's to home. :rockon:
Guess you've been blasting heaps around the block on the new toy. & what mountain range are you on about, I thought they were hills last time I looked.
Will look forward to catching you on a ride some time soon.

miSTa
7th August 2006, 21:59
:sherlock: Good bit of guess work there SDU (mind you I did tell you our route home with the bike last week). BTW the Kaikoura Ranges are mountains - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikoura_Ranges

Ruralman - That sounds like a great trip and yes perfect for the GS. I could be keen.

Ruralman
7th August 2006, 22:06
[
Ruralman - That sounds like a great trip and yes perfect for the GS. I could be keen.[/QUOTE]

Keep watching and we'll keep bringing it up as we get nearer the date. I'm meeting with Jantar tommorrow so we'll nut out a few more ideas then. Hopefully some of the Canterbury riders can join us for some of it - or even for a few beers one night as we pass thru.

miSTa
7th August 2006, 22:15
I'd be keen on cathing up and doing at least some of the trip with you (its a bit far out to say all of the trip at this stage but it does appeal). I can't but think it would good to tie in the Vincent County rally which I would think would the weekend before. Jantar I think should be able to confirm that.

98tls
7th August 2006, 22:16
very nice zzr...i was lucky enough to be raised at the start of the hundalees..plenty of ground clearance on that thing eh.

far queue
7th August 2006, 23:13
Hopefully some of the Canterbury riders can join us for some of it - or even for a few beers one night as we pass thru.I hope to manage both of these :ride: :drinkup: with you and Jantar

far queue
7th August 2006, 23:18
I can't but think it would good to tie in the Vincent County rally which I would think would the weekend before.I'm planning on giving Woodstock a miss this year and doing Vincent instead. Bit of a bummer that they're only a week apart, makes it a bit tricky getting to both, and I haven't done a Vincent rally before, so this could be the one.

Wolf
8th August 2006, 00:09
Nice choice ZZR.

Is it the "Adventure" model or the straight R1150GS? The Adventure is listed as marginally heavier than the standard but I'm buggered if I know what differences BMW made between the bikes.

Nice to see another convert to the world of DS. That shouldn't leave you lacking on the road (after all, it can exceed the legal limit and the loss of licence limit without breaking sweat) and you won't have to get off and push when you get to the rough stuff like all these Sprots Boik riders have to (anything to increase the ground clearance...) :devil2:

miSTa
8th August 2006, 08:44
Nice choice ZZR.

Is it the "Adventure" model or the straight R1150GS? The Adventure is listed as marginally heavier than the standard but I'm buggered if I know what differences BMW made between the bikes.

Nice to see another convert to the world of DS. That shouldn't leave you lacking on the road (after all, it can exceed the legal limit and the loss of licence limit without breaking sweat) and you won't have to get off and push when you get to the rough stuff like all these Sprots Boik riders have to (anything to increase the ground clearance...) :devil2:

I've got a straight GS. Off the top of my head the GSA has longer travel suspension, bigger fuel tank, aluminium cases, single seat and a whole lot more expensive.

Yep a DS is just so practical (real world). :first:

Speaking od Sprots Boik riders here's a few of them getting a lesson around Brands Hatch http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8691188634513703087

miSTa
8th August 2006, 08:50
I'm planning on giving Woodstock a miss this year and doing Vincent instead. Bit of a bummer that they're only a week apart, makes it a bit tricky getting to both, and I haven't done a Vincent rally before, so this could be the one.

I didn't go to the Vincent this year but I did last year (when it 40 degrees) and thought it was a great rally. I'm intending to go next year and I want to go via Hakataramea, Thompsons Track between Tarras and Omakau. Then come back through Dansies Pass and across the base of the Hunter Hills. If that can be tied in with RuralMans plan trip that would be great.

Wolf
8th August 2006, 09:36
... and a whole lot more expensive.
Always a favourite "enhancement" on "improved" models (favourite for the manufacturer and the dealer, that is)

SDU
8th August 2006, 13:41
:sherlock: Good bit of guess work there SDU (mind you I did tell you our route home with the bike last week). BTW the Kaikoura Ranges are mountains - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaikoura_Ranges

Someone had to put them on track. I stand corrected!

SDU
8th August 2006, 13:42
I didn't go to the Vincent this year but I did last year (when it 40 degrees) and thought it was a great rally. I'm intending to go next year and I want to go via Hakataramea, Thompsons Track between Tarras and Omakau. Then come back through Dansies Pass and across the base of the Hunter Hills. If that can be tied in with RuralMans plan trip that would be great.

Sounds like a plan.:scooter:

Macktheknife
8th August 2006, 14:03
Nice bike ZZR! I reckon they are the bizzo.

Wolf
8th August 2006, 14:04
Speaking od Sprots Boik riders here's a few of them getting a lesson around Brands Hatch http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8691188634513703087
Just seen the clip - it's certainly giving them the learn. Love the way it rockets up behind them and passes them on the straight.

sels1
8th August 2006, 14:21
Congrats on the bike. I was looking at these myself but in the end found the Triumph Tiger fitted me better.

miSTa
8th August 2006, 15:00
Sounds like a plan.:scooter:
I reckon so, just a shame that its 6 months away.

Nice bike ZZR! I reckon they are the bizzo.
Thanks, they certainly are.

Just seen the clip - it's certainly giving them the learn. Love the way it rockets up behind them and passes them on the straight.
Its great isn't it? It just shows that its not all about outright horsepower.

Congrats on the bike. I was looking at these myself but in the end found the Triumph Tiger fitted me better.
The Tiger is a nice bike as well I just didn't like all the plastic bits (the same comment applies to the VStrom as well). The GS is a tall bikeand iff the seat hadn't had any padding added to it I would be able to flat foot it with the seat in the highest position. It helps having long legs.

Wolf
8th August 2006, 15:17
Well, I hope you're enjoying riding it and remember, if you have sprots boiks in your riding group: play nice, don't show off, don't lead them places where they can't possibly go - it's not their fault they have inferior bikes.

What am I saying? Of course it's their fault, they bought the bloody things...

:devil2:

laRIKin
10th August 2006, 20:39
As for doing Lees Valley next weekend that sounds like a great idea. I do have a preference for Sunday but either day...

I could do Saturday, but Sunday should be the next sealed road Plains Club run and i'm intending to do this one as i've missed the last few of theirs.
Sorry but the this weekend trip around the Lees Valley for Green Meanie and me is off.
Green Meanie is out of town and I'm now too busy.
And the weather does not look to good to do it, so properly be a no go anyway.

So if you lot do go for a ride, have a fun ride.

far queue
10th August 2006, 20:52
Sorry but the this weekend trip around the Lees Valley for Green Meanie and me is off.

I'm still free, but I've been watching the weather and it looks like crap for the Mainland for Sat & Sun. But I'm not complaining, as the crap weather will provide a good excuse to spend the weekend in the workshop getting stuff done. Always enjoy my time in there :yes:

Transalper
10th August 2006, 21:12
Im riding with the Plains Club to Diamond Harbour on Sunday, departing promptly form a members house in Hoon Hay at 11:30am. Be passing the big BP garage on the corner of Hoon Hay Rd and Sparks Road about 11:30am give or take a few minutes if anyone wants to tag along.
My Saturday is free.

oldrider
10th August 2006, 21:19
Congrats on the new bike ZZR, next time you are through (Black Forest/Haka/Danseys etc, will be calling your name now) drop in for a cuppa/lunch. Cheers John.

scumdog
10th August 2006, 22:00
Cool bike ZZR (GHOB?), I give you a tentative grunt of approval 'cos it's a twin (of sorts)
My Kraut mate has one a bit like it (those style beemers all look the same to me) and he's had a great run with it, put a lower geared diff in it and reckoned it made it the cats-twat for pick-up and for rough road riding, said it was too long-legged before.

miSTa
11th August 2006, 07:09
Congrats on the new bike ZZR, next time you are through (Black Forest/Haka/Danseys etc, will be calling your name now) drop in for a cuppa/lunch. Cheers John.

Thanks John, will do.

Otematata is a place a place with some sentimental value - I lived there until I was about 6 (my father was involved in the building of Benmore). Reminds of when my brother when he went to apply for his drivers licence, they wouldn't recognise Otematata as a place of birth.

There's even a guy at work who spent a number of years there as well.

miSTa
11th August 2006, 07:11

Not for me this weekend, as Owen has said the weather is going to be crap, Saturday not's good anymore anyway. I would imagine that the water levels would be quite high for the water crossings, wouldn't they?

Plenty of other times.

miSTa
11th August 2006, 07:24
Cool bike ZZR (GHOB?), I give you a tentative grunt of approval 'cos it's a twin (of sorts)
My Kraut mate has one a bit like it (those style beemers all look the same to me) and he's had a great run with it, put a lower geared diff in it and reckoned it made it the cats-twat for pick-up and for rough road riding, said it was too long-legged before.

Cheers SD.

GHOB - Grey Haired Old Bugger. Dangerous, I think, has a fetish for grey hair... :whistle:

How can they look all same? The 1150GS is the best looking bike BMW have ever made. First gear perhaps a little tall as is top but then that is stated as being an overdrive gear. They do have a lot of torque.

idb
11th August 2006, 07:32
Looks like a nice sensible purchase ZZR.
Certainly a sensible bike for sensibly getting to work and other sensible trips at a sensible pace and carrying a sensible amount of gear.

Congrats

Rashika
11th August 2006, 07:47
Looks like a nice sensible purchase ZZR.
Certainly a sensible bike for sensibly getting to work and other sensible trips at a sensible pace and carrying a sensible amount of gear.

I DID mention that his new name should be sensible didn't I? :yes: :innocent:

idb
11th August 2006, 08:05
I DID mention that his new name should be sensible didn't I? :yes: :innocent:
Yes you did.
Well it looks like we're all agreed then.

shafty
11th August 2006, 08:07
Well done ZZR, - nice choice and "Man, what a change in bike style!" Have fun.

Rashika
11th August 2006, 08:50
Yes you did.
yip sounds good... we should get someone to change it then. Perhaps we mention it to ZZR before we do it? :innocent: naaaaaaaaahhhhhhh ;)

scumdog
11th August 2006, 08:52
yip sounds good... we should get someone to change it then. Perhaps we mention it to ZZR before we do it? :innocent: naaaaaaaaahhhhhhh ;)

Change his name? Yep, that would be the 'sensible' thing to do!!:yes:

miSTa
11th August 2006, 22:25
Yes you did.

Change his name? Yep, that would be the 'sensible' thing to do!!:yes:

:Oi: you three :nono: That's Mr Sensible to you! Or even better - Sir!

laRIKin
13th August 2006, 20:03
Well SDU got the day off (a good hearted boss just said take tomorrow off I'll cover) and weather was great so we rang Far Queue (the site was down for an up grade so could not post to let you others know about the ride) and told him we are leaving in 1/2 an hour to a hour to go for a ride around the hills at the back of Little River and Port Levy.

We noticed that it was getting colder as we got closer to Little River.
We stopped for a coffee and a pie, and looked up in to the nearby hills to see snow.
We thought this could get a bit interesting and headed off to go over the pass.
Well we were not disappointed, but surprised to see that amount of snow and ice.
ZZR you may have been glad you didn't come along and risk having a little lie down with your new toy.

far queue
13th August 2006, 21:49
Was a fun ride, thanks for the invite, far too nice a day to say no :sunny:

Transalper
13th August 2006, 23:35
Bugger, I went with Plains (17bikes/19people i think) to Diamond Harbour then 3 of us hit the dirt finishing up at Pigeon Bay, then went back via Port Levy and Diamond Harbour again to Lyttelton, but we didn't find any snow like the stuff you got in photo #2...bugger again.
Was still a good trip anyhow.
1- the lineup before setting off (another 3 or 4 bikes didn't make it in to the photo)
2-Lunch at Diamond Harbour.
3-three of us at Pigeon Bay.

miSTa
14th August 2006, 07:27
ZZR you may have been glad you didn't come along and risk having a little lie down with your new toy.
Sounds like you guys had a great day. Yeah, maybe. I didn't buy the GS to sit in ther garage all clean and shiny but I do need to get myself some crashbars so I can give it a go and not have to worry about the cylinder heads in a spill.

Bugger, I went with Plains (17bikes/19people i think)
That's seems like a pretty good turn out, mind you was a cracker of a day.

BTW isn't this multiple quote feature great, very useful.

SDU
14th August 2006, 16:03
It was a good day for a ride.
We popped in to Diamond harbour to see if anyone was still there from your ride TA.
FQ & Lemans thanks for putting up with the hill nana!
I really must get out for a ride more often, instead of once in the blue.
Always fun finding gravel to slide on in the corners when you can't even see the direction off the road due to sun blindness- makes life a little but interesting!

far queue
14th August 2006, 16:31
FQ & Lemans thanks for putting up with the hill nana!Nothing wrong with your riding, just stop chucking stones and snowballs at me :dodge:

laRIKin
14th August 2006, 17:08
Nothing wrong with your riding, just stop chucking stones and snowballs at me :dodge:

If you look carefully in Pic one, in SDU right hand you can see the snow ball that she is about to throw up in the air to hit F/Q.

By the way SDU does ride her bike most days to work.
She needs more hill work, as her last good leisure ride in the hill's was the Brass Monkey.

But that will soon hopefully be possible as her boss are trying to get her one weekend off a month, so look out F/Q she is a creature of habit.

Sorry we missed you T/A.
I tried to find what you said about your ride with the Plain's Club.
But the site was down for the up grade and we even looked at the Plain web site and that was no help to us.

laRIKin
14th August 2006, 17:12
I do need to get myself some crashbars so I can give it a go and not have to worry about the cylinder heads in a spill.

A real good idea, I would say a must.

Let us know when you have some and are ready to Rock and Roll.

Transalper
14th August 2006, 18:43
Sorry we missed you T/A.
I tried to find what you said about your ride with the Plain's Club.
But the site was down for the up grade and we even looked at the Plain web site and that was no help to us.No worries. I don't put ride meetings on the Plains Site. It just takes too much time to do (it's not like posting in a forum). That and the fact we were meting at a members house so i wouldnt list that online anyway. We do however do a txt around and email earlier in the week to people on our ride list (members, prospects and friends etc.)
Seems to be some nice little interface tweaks on here now.

merv
14th August 2006, 18:45
Its a long time ago now, but I still miss the days when I could ride in the snow on the peninsula too. Glad you had fun.

miSTa
14th August 2006, 19:21
A real good idea, I would say a must.

Let us know when you have some and are ready to Rock and Roll.

Will do and the sooner the better.