PDA

View Full Version : Buying Leathers

Ozzie
6th August 2006, 13:19
I couldn't find a forum for this to go in, if there is a better forum, please feel free to move it.

Anyway, after getting pissed on again, after having sprayed my supposed mobigs with water proofing stuff, and really having a guts full. I have pretty much decided to go for some leathers.

A couple of questions;

1. Do you were clothes under leathers? Should you?

2. Is it better to get them made, or buy off the shelf?

3. Where is the best place to go, and what make is better?

I understand fit is really important when it comes to protection factor, but am confused whether to get ones I can wear pants under or not.

4. What do you do when it is cold? Do you have multiple pairs?

5. Which is better, 1 piece or 2?

NB. I am not track racing, mostly commuting, the odd open road jaunt. I generally don't go much beyond 120 kph, but on the odd occasion have got a bit further up there.

boomer
6th August 2006, 13:34
If its cold wear something over ya leathers with thermals under; for you i'd say a 2 piece and off the shelf should do and then ask someone to alter them if need be.

Any of the makes are as good as the other, i 'spose its down to preference of style and budget, then i'd order on line from overseas for teh best deal ( after trying suits on here for size ;) )

My shopping list has either teh dainese rossi replica (http://www.dainese.be/en/moto/suits1/index.htm) on it and/or teh alpinestars Mx suit.
(http://www.onyerbike.net/alpinestars_s.php)

I have this and the matching pants for cold/wet riding (http://www.extremesupply.com/spidi/spidijackets/spidistepinroadh2outleatherjacket.html) and 2 piece leathers (Alpinestars) for spinning around at the weekends

Patch
6th August 2006, 13:42
1. Nope - all natural baby

2. Depends how pregnant you are

3. Where ever you will get the best deal.

4. Auckland doesn't get that cold - buy some thermals or hard pills, whatever works for ya

5. One piece - a real bitch trying zip a two piece

This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-65105490.htm) is who I bought minie from.

or

This guy (http://www.quasimoto.co.nz/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=14) is quite popular with some folks on here

or

Just call into AMPS an see Lou - he see's most of us right

McJim
6th August 2006, 13:52
I've been through the same dilemma myself. You'll never get leathers over a pair of trousers for example - if you do then you'll find that the armour won't fit snugly around your knees - then if you do need them for protection (heaven forbid) the armour slides round to the inside of your leg and you lose a half inch off your patella. I've got 2 piece leathers myself and I leave a change of clothes at work - slim thermals under the leathers are best for keeping warm. If it's just dryness your after then a fishing shop should be able to supply oilskins to go over the topof yor existig kit....can get a bit sweaty though.

texmo
6th August 2006, 13:54
1. No, but dont matter.

2. Better to get them made there is a place in st kevins arcade on k'rd that makes them

3. read above.

4. wear a thermal, but if you get it custom made you could get a liner for it thats removable.

5. for casual use a 2 piece.

Jantar
6th August 2006, 13:57
I couldn't find a forum for this to go in, if there is a better forum, please feel free to move it.

Anyway, after getting pissed on again, after having sprayed my supposed mobigs with water proofing stuff, and really having a guts full. I have pretty much decided to go for some leathers..

A wise move. Leather will give you a lot more protection and last years longer.

1. Do you were clothes under leathers? Should you?

Yes, I buy leathers just large enough to be able to slip them on over the top of normal clothes.

2. Is it better to get them made, or buy off the shelf?

I have done both at various times. The made-to-measure ones are a better fit initially, but I found the quality of the lining wasn't as good, and they weren't as warm as the off-the-shelf ones.

3. Where is the best place to go, and what make is better?

Unless you are planning to go racing and hence need light weight and and built in armour, (which you indicated you aren't) then the brand isn't too important. Rather choose ones that are a good fit and well padded. Have a look at http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=7543&highlight=leathers where I describe where we finally found suitable leathers for my wife.

I understand fit is really important when it comes to protection factor, but am confused whether to get ones I can wear pants under or not.

4. What do you do when it is cold? Do you have multiple pairs?

Yes, wear your normal pants underneath. In really cold conditions consider wearing thermal underwear such as "icebreaker" under your normal clothes.

5. Which is better, 1 piece or 2?

Two piece is much more versatile. In really hot weather, you can forget about the leather trousers and just wear Dragon jeans or similar.

Leather is a natural skin product that is not fully waterproof. It is water resistant and once rain does start to seep through the outer (shiny) leather layer, the inner part of the leather will absorb a lot of water before it gets through to the lining and inner clothes. Once wet leather must be dried slowly to maintain its suppleness and water resistance. It can be made waterproof by regular treatments of beeswax. And I do mean waterproof. I have now had many rides where I stay dryer in leather than other riders do in DryRider and similar gear.

saltydog
6th August 2006, 14:05
I just splashed out on 2-piece leathers from Whites powersports called the Z1's. A nice unit, comfortable, armoured and good fit. I would recommend a try as the price is reasonable too.

Firefight
6th August 2006, 14:10
as stated elsewhere on kb,,Quazzi has helped a lot of kbers into good quaility bike gear, can recomend him and his product, plus he's not bad guy ..

edit, hard to miss his ad on the KB home page, big birthday sale on atm

F/F

Hellraiser
6th August 2006, 14:49
For commuting during the week i use Dragun Jeans with Waterproof pants over the top if its raining, I wear a Suzuka Jacket with a Shift Rain jacket over the top if it rains. I have had the jeans adapted to allow the jacket to be zipped together with the jeans.

I am lucky that dragun jeans come in all differant styles so i can get away with wearing them at work.

there is nothing better than leather but the are alot more comfortable solutions out there .... lol

Titanium
6th August 2006, 14:58
Go see Quasi......

What you want, he has got or will get, 3 weeks from wo to go on a set of custom leathers for under $800......

I have a custom 1 piece on order and a custom jacket.

A large number of the Hamiltorn crew all use or race with his gear. No problems with the quality either.....

Cheers.

The Stranger
6th August 2006, 19:11
One word

QUASIMOTO

The_Dover
6th August 2006, 19:50
This (http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Helmets-clothing-footwear/Leathers-jackets/auction-65105490.htm) is who I bought minie from.

Oh and aren't they pretty.

Quartida
6th August 2006, 21:47
Leather is a natural skin product that is not fully waterproof. It is water resistant and once rain does start to seep through the outer (shiny) leather layer, the inner part of the leather will absorb a lot of water before it gets through to the lining and inner clothes.

This does have the unfortunate effect of making them smell pretty rank though. Mmmm...wet dog.

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 08:19
Your gear leaks, so you want to get leathers? There's only one brand that does that in NZ. Harley
I can sell you their waterproof leather kit, but most people need a second mortgage for it.
If you want waterproof kit at a reasonable price that is as close to a full leather suit as you can get without buying leather, the Spidi Step-in road suit is the only one around. (and $1000 cheaper than the above)

SARGE
7th August 2006, 08:40
i wanted a 1 piece for awhil ..

couple problems i run into though..

hard to find in just BLACK without all the gay floro colors or logos on them... just black!!

the Green party is always on my ass about killing 3 water buffalo for the material..

i look like a condom full of walnuts in a leather suit..

ill stick with Jeans and a textile coat thanks .. ((pffft to all the safety Nazi's)

dawnrazor
7th August 2006, 09:17
gota think 2 piece is better for commuting, as there will be days you won't want to get the pants on and just where jeans. Leather isn't very good at stopping you get wet in the rain, so you need some sort of one piece over suite as well.

Unless you are some kind of 7 foot tall, monkey armed, race whippet with a hump and a gammy leg, chances are off the peg will do ya just fine.

Ozzie
7th August 2006, 10:34
The idea of the leathers is;

They are sold as not being water proof, not misrepresented.

The MOBIG stuff is represented as being water proof, but isn't, even after additional coatings of water proof spray.

At least with leather, I know what I'm getting, don't look like michelin man, and can get a wet suit big enough to go over it and still fit through a door way.

The other shite is massive, which would be worth it if it did what it is supposed to, but it does not.

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 12:23
The idea of the leathers is;

They are sold as not being water proof, not misrepresented.

The MOBIG stuff is represented as being water proof, but isn't, even after additional coatings of water proof spray.

At least with leather, I know what I'm getting, don't look like michelin man, and can get a wet suit big enough to go over it and still fit through a door way.

The other shite is massive, which would be worth it if it did what it is supposed to, but it does not.

Unfortunately riding gear is a case of getting what you pay for. We've had the odd brand at AMPS that gave nothing but trouble. We replaced it, but it leaves a sour taste for the customers. I bought my Spidi kit with my own money (retail for the pants), it was recommended by my brother and has proved to be superb. The problem is that the holes your neck, legs and arms poke through are the areas where leaks will show in extreme conditions. These are not diving dry suits after all. If I had to ride 4 hours in pouring rain I'd wear an oversuit as added insurance.
If you can spend around $1400 have a look at the Step-in road suit. You'll be impressed.