PDA

View Full Version : Buying older GSXR 250

The Big J
6th August 2006, 20:30
Hi there

First post so hello to everyone. Have been searching a few threads for peoples' thoughts on the GSXR250.

I have limited bike experience - about 4 months riding a Kawasaki 250 GPX RII (1988). Great bike to learn on, could do distance ok, was starting to feel it lacked a bit of power but it felt a good sort of thing to learn about and I could blat around on before stepping it up. However as of 4 weeks ago while watching the rugby my bike 'vanished' into thin air so I either stop riding or get back on the horse by buying something new.

I'm looking at an older bike 1989, reason being that I'm looking to go overseas in 6 months so not much point investing big $$$. Also, would still class myself as a learner in dealing with corners/rain (but am getting there).

Am hoping for some people's thoughts about the suitability of this bike. Any common problems with age, mechanical issues etc., suitable for riding longer distances?.

I'm sure you get asked these sort of questions by newbies all the time so if this rings a bell, just post a link to a previous thread and I'll have a look there. Cheers!

DUBDUB
6th August 2006, 21:33
I got a 88 gsxr250 off trademe for $600 bout a month back as a project and it runs sweet as(only has cosmetic problems now due to lack of fairings). No problems with the engine apart from a crappy plug cap.

carver
6th August 2006, 21:37
Hi there

First post so hello to everyone. Have been searching a few threads for peoples' thoughts on the GSXR250.

I have limited bike experience - about 4 months riding a Kawasaki 250 GPX RII (1988). Great bike to learn on, could do distance ok, was starting to feel it lacked a bit of power but it felt a good sort of thing to learn about and I could blat around on before stepping it up. However as of 4 weeks ago while watching the rugby my bike 'vanished' into thin air so I either stop riding or get back on the horse by buying something new.

I'm looking at an older bike 1989, reason being that I'm looking to go overseas in 6 months so not much point investing big $$$. Also, would still class myself as a learner in dealing with corners/rain (but am getting there).

Am hoping for some people's thoughts about the suitability of this bike. Any common problems with age, mechanical issues etc., suitable for riding longer distances?.

I'm sure you get asked these sort of questions by newbies all the time so if this rings a bell, just post a link to a previous thread and I'll have a look there. Cheers!
stop man, dont buy it, just dont, take my word for it, i had on exactly the same, they are badly ; made, engineered, finished, and everything else.
just in my opinion though

Sketchy_Racer
6th August 2006, 21:40
Welcome to the site mate,

Having ridden all the 4 cylinder 250cc bikes, I would not rate the GSXR250 to be a good one.

For a easy maintainece bike i would suggest the Honda CBR250rr Or Single R. Good power, quite comfortable and handles nicely.

Next would be the Kawasaki ZXR 250 C model.

Better suspension than the CBR as it is all adjustable. A slightly sportier (sp) riding position, but they have the Cam Chain thing. The cam chain needs to replaced quite frequently, and if you can't do the work yourself or have mechnical hook ups, it can get quite expensive.

Yamaha FZR 250 3ln is good the 2kr is not so good.

Others will have more input as well.

The way i see it is that the GSXR is quite rare in comparison to the CBR or the ZXR. I Personally would go for either of those but not any of the others (as much)

Cheers,

Glen

rookie
7th August 2006, 20:26
hmmm...not sure if anyone is listening to you aye.

right, wat u wana do is find something cosmetically challenged (who cares you're only on it for 6months) so if u drop it it, you wont lose much value.

always aim for good brakes, tyres and usual stuff.

i havent owned a gixxer but my mate does and it goes, it holds on quite well during cornering considering the thin tyres the thing has....he weighs 55-60kg which helps...would struggle a bit more if i was on it....but basically they all have similar performance.

ive heard the fzr's have the most issues, stay away from zxrs with high k's (50,000+), well actually prob any of the 250's (bar the cbr...cam gears help).

This is my opinion anyway...just another pile of crap to sort through really

The Big J
8th August 2006, 09:54
Hi guys

thanks for the opinions.

The bike's out of town but my old man happened to be passing through. He said 'the bike looks great, paint looks great but it's got no guts'.

I think I'll probably bow out on it.

Only think being that the old man would weigh about 95 kg and I weigh at a spritely 72 kg (despite the rugby). could be a small person's bike basically but I don't think I'll buy having not ridden it personally if the old man didn't like it.

So I'm back in the market! Everything on trademe seems to get bidded up out of the realms of reasonableness.

cheers

rookie
8th August 2006, 22:51
So I'm back in the market! Everything on trademe seems to get bidded up out of the realms of reasonableness.
cheers

yep good call....i got mine 2months ago...right before the prices started getting real stupid!!