PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy corners or intersections

Jonny Rotten
6th August 2006, 20:53
so i was having a think today while on a ride about corners/intersections that i always get put off on....some of the corners/intersections i go around/thru every day but i still get put off everytime or im extra carefull while goin trhu them.....like the one on wellington street turning on to the motor way because its off camber and slippery.......so what i thought was time to share all the corneres that give you the willys or you think are a bit dodgey.....
this could help us all out when ridding instead of being caught out by a corner or intersection

SwanTiger
6th August 2006, 21:54
Jonny Rotten says:
go say some shit on my thread so i dont look like a tosser
Swanny says:
what thread
Jonny Rotten says:
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=33523
Swanny says:
haha

What a tosser!

Jonny Rotten
6th August 2006, 21:54
thats bulll shit yo

sunhuntin
8th August 2006, 20:33
so i was having a think today while on a ride about corners/intersections that i always get put off on....some of the corners/intersections i go around/thru every day but i still get put off everytime or im extra carefull while goin trhu them.....like the one on wellington street turning on to the motor way because its off camber and slippery.......so what i thought was time to share all the corneres that give you the willys or you think are a bit dodgey.....
this could help us all out when ridding instead of being caught out by a corner or intersection

i know what you mean....theres a corner around from my house that is a maze of white paint and manhole covers. im always dodgy around that and really should learn to take a different route, lol.

judecatmad
11th August 2006, 19:23
There's a corner in Upper Hutt which scares the cr@p out of me - on SH2 going towards Wellington as you approach the bridge before Riverstone Terraces, there are some 'wiggles' scored into the road. My front tyre seems to lock into these wiggles and I'm convinced each time that I won't make it around the corner!! LOL. I AM bit of a nanna tho........:rofl:

sunhuntin
11th August 2006, 22:17
There's a corner in Upper Hutt which scares the cr@p out of me - on SH2 going towards Wellington as you approach the bridge before Riverstone Terraces, there are some 'wiggles' scored into the road. My front tyre seems to lock into these wiggles and I'm convinced each time that I won't make it around the corner!! LOL. I AM bit of a nanna tho........:rofl:

yep, tar snakes. also those "lines" that supposedly help drain water, dont like those one bit.

petesmeats
17th August 2006, 10:28
The whole of waimairi street is just a whole lot of tar snakes... I thought i actually saw some concrete there at one stage but on further inspection it was just a discoloured bit of tar... honestly i think it is the worst road ever...

HDTboy
17th August 2006, 12:39
The other dodgy corner is heading towards Kaukoppakoppakoppakoppa, I think it is Old North road (heading away from riverhead) and anyway there is a 35k right hander after the series of roller coaster humps, its not long before a one lane bridge.

I love that section, used to go through there pretty quick in the good old days.

I try to assess each corner as it comes. if there's a mental list of corners someone else thinks are dodgy in my head, it'll fuck with me whenever I go through said corner.

There's a corner on the CoroGP which is a blind left hander over a crest and tightens, there's a nice gravel driveway off to the right though, and even though the gravel is fist sized you can keep a bike upright going up this driveway at 1xx'ish

McJim
17th August 2006, 12:46
Here's one for the Aucklanders.

Pakuranga - take Gossamer Drive southbound from Pakuranga Road in the rain. Now try turning right into Reeves Road at the roundabout.

The corner is seriously off camber and the asphalt is as smooth as glass. I regularly see cars sliding on that one at low speeds - I won't even try it on the bike in the wet - scary enough in the dry.

ManDownUnder
17th August 2006, 12:56
This corner near my place... bastards are doing a lot of digging and the trucks are rolling this thin film of mud right onto the apex of the corner (beautifully marked in red).

I'd embed it in the message but don't know how...

sunhuntin
17th August 2006, 14:36
remembered another one....by the local hospital heading sorta north. got a couple of "S" bends which is my route, that opens onto a straight.
as you come into the last bend, on your left another road opens out and has a give way. to the right, is a layway thing for oncoming traffic to turn down that road. i hate that layway, i always freak and think the car there is going to go and hit me. even worse when theres a car there and also at the give way. love that bit of road, but hate the part of it. what makes it worse is that most cars here roll slightly, dont stop, but roll. ARGH!