PDA

View Full Version : 1200 Bandit test

carver
6th August 2006, 20:58
Yet another UJM test
The 2000 Suzuki bandit.
Courtesy of Boyd Honda Hamilton
This particular example I tested was a 2000 model Suzuki GSX 1200y bandit, with 60,000kms on the clock.
On initial inspection I noted that Suzuki build quality had lived up to its name, with a good surface coating of rust on the triple clamps.
This particular example had also been “down the road” once before, with numerous scratches on the left side.
An encouraging detail was the amount of space under the seat, enough to fit a pair of gloves, and a 1pce rain suit methinks.
The GSX gets its engine from the old GS 1000 of the late 70’s, and all the other GS based lumps of the 80’s.
The 1200 was smooth as I warmed it up; I noted the “Showa” rear shocks, the Brembo badge on the brakes, the large section rear tire, the hydraulic clutch, and the chunky retro styling.

As I took off from Boyd Honda, just taking it easy down the service lane, trying to get used to the bike.
The first thing I noted was that my open face helmet would not be up to the job for this test, so I headed for home.
On the way in I saw my next door neighbor, a girl in her late teens driving her parents red Toyota Levin.
In the past this girl had spread many lies and bullshit about me, which had made my move to Hamilton all that much harder, but here I was, 1200cc’s of grunt, Im guessing 100hp~ needing a reason to let it rip…reason found.
I opened the throttle up, closing the 30m dist between us in seconds, by the time I was passing her I would have been doing over 100 (in a 50 zone), I ripped past her like she was standing still, the 4 cylinder screamed , I was just hanging on guiding it!
I was really laughing now, man, what fun, better slow down now.

Helmet collected I went out and hunted a few boy racers, encountered a turbo’d Nissan 200 SX/Sylvia on Cobbham drive, 3 of your typical long curly haired, baseball cap wearing, boy racers on board, all very good at posing. I purposely lined up beside them and did the surging thing, and off we went, they initiated the drag, so I was slightly behind them.
The blow-off valve hissed, my right hand wound the throttle open, and in a matter of seconds I was 15m ahead of their car, and they were trying hard, due to traffic we ended up having a few of these drags, inside my helmet I was singing “hi ho hi ho, it’s off to work I go”. Sheer horsepower and torque combined with light weight (compared to a car) always makes a winning combination.
From what I have heard the Bandit lump is very tunable, from memory 30hp can be found just by adding a full Yoshimura system, this bike was “bog standard”

Anyhow, I headed out to a little spot near Hautapu for a little speed testing- it’s easy to get to 200, the torque is fantastic, but not enough to lift that heavy front end. Consequentially the rush from revving the smooth 4 cylinder engine to the red line is fantastic. I can honestly say I was just hanging on, pointing it where I wanted to go, I did a corner at 200kph, not too tight, but I can assure you the bandit tracks very nicely, and hold the line well, despite the twin shocks on the rear. The fastest I got to was 215, still slowly pulling.
What is funny is the last time I did over 160 was also on a Bandit, but a 250 Bandit, also being road tested! Once I had tested the power deliver I was more confident to take corners harder, and pushed it through 2 roundabouts with ease.

In the process of professional fooling about I had to complete a few tight U turns, the bandit does it in its stride, no problem, despite its weight it’s easy to balance, also it is as comfortable riding around town at 2-500 rpm as it is on the highway sitting at 4000 rpm (from memory). The seat is good, I would call it plush and roomy, I found the ergonomics’ fine for my 5’8 frame.
The bandit has the basic instruments, same as my comet. Rev counter Speedo, fuel gauge, indicator lights, neutral light and a hi-beam. The paint quality seemed “acceptable” a small portion of the alloy on the engine covers had oxidized, but this bandit has not exactly “sat around”

Back through Hamilton , I noted that the gear box is excellent, very smooth, and giving very good feedback and feel, I had no problem finding neutral by feel (unlike my Hyosung GT 250). In the traffic it was easy to ride, the torque motor giving good pull, even from idle, and the engine happy to sit at 2-500 rpm in every gear, the hydraulic clutch is easy to use, giving good feedback. The reason for such low revs is the predicable nature of the power combined with the unpredictable nature of the cage pilots around me.
I tried a stoppie on the dry tarmac, no such luck, just a locked tire sliding. This must be due to weight distribution more than anything else; I just wonder how the stunt dudes do them on the same bike? The Brembo’s are excellent though, giving great stopping power and feedback.

I headed out west of Te-Rapa, the bike was happy enough to split the traffic that was doing 40kph, it was easy enough to apply the torque and power on when needed, and the Brembo’s to hall the Suzuki up when the situation arose.
I passed a few cars down Te-Kowhai road, easy as, pushed it through a slightly rough 75 at 110kph no problems, the road used previously for my “go to jail” speed testing is excellent, well surfaced, with good visibility, and large flat verges on the side..

Out to a side road, riding through the 55’s and 35’s was no problem once I got used to the bandit’s stance on the road, and how it reacted to different power applications in different sections of the corner. I found a gentle application ½ way through the tight part of the apex worked best. The bandit is great at this speed, top gear, just pile on the power when needed, which makes for a smooth relaxing fast riding style. I even took it through an intersection corner in top gear, and brought it down to 800rpm, doing 40kph, once out, an easy opening of the throttle saw the bike pull smoothly up to a good speed! I tested the grip through one wet downhill 35 corner which also had gravel on it; the bike took it smooth, with no problems to speak of. A few farmers gave me a few stares as I pushed the bandit at 130kph~ around the area near the zoo.

All I can add to my comments is that the bandits engine and gearbox is very flexible, and there is a gear for every situation, and it can take on any corner despite its weight and twin shock suspension.
The flip side is that 93kms used close to a full tank of gas, which seems a bit excessive, and I did not ride it hard all the time and I was riding cautiously.

So…would I buy one? Maybe, using 10lts of gas for 93kms is thirsty even for a 1300cc car! However the practical aspects of the bike appeal to me, such as under-seat storage, a big cushy seat, easy balance at low speeds, and this example had a pack rack too. I found 200kph was quite hard to sustain due to the wind on my torso and arms, but I love the flexibility of the engine, I could ride this to work, and in the weekend head off anywhere, overtake safely with all that torque (this would be great for pillions)
At $ 6-500 this is quite cheap for a 2000 model bandit, a 2001 GSX 1200Y is going for $ 10k with a scorpion can, and it has 34,000kms on it! 60,000kms is not too much of a worry, with around 100,000+kms left on the engine, in conclusion this is a big basic practical bike, with reliability and power on its side, and also it is a great all-rounder. It’s tempting.

Upcoming tests: Dririder Rallycross gloves and pants, The great Quasimoto “Speedster” leather jacket test
photo's comming soon.

Edbear
6th August 2006, 21:06
Heard the Bandits aren't that economical, same with the GSX-Y's, but apparently the GS1200ss is very economical with 2mm smaller carbs. A pipe change gets about 120+hp. I personally like the ss over the Bandit. But everyone who has a BAndit sems to love them. Good write up.

carver
6th August 2006, 21:24
I also may do my hyosung once again, but in a bit of a different light. this may be a goodie

marty
6th August 2006, 22:29
strangest test i've ever read!

and 98k out of a tank? i'm picking you'd get 1000k out of a tyre too

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 10:45
First, the 1200Y isn't a Bandit.
It must have been a little tired too, because mine will wheelie off the throttle in first. And 9.3 k's per litre is a little thirsty, mine won't drop below 14 on the road. Maybe that's why it won't wheelie, it's running way rich.
Did the girl phone you in awe and say she wants to have your babies?

TerminalAddict
7th August 2006, 11:08
I rode that exact bike, and didn't like it at all ;)

I found it too heavy in town, trying to trow it around traffic and round abouts just scared the shit out of me :)

98tls
7th August 2006, 11:09
Got a mate with an 04 1200 Bandit and yea its a great bike..does everything pretty good.whoever said you would get 30hp from a yoshi exhaust was talking out of the bottom hole.....do the exhaust,filter,ignition advancer,suzuki race kit needles and GSXR exhaust cam and you may get somewere around another 20...bigger carbs may be an option for a few more.

Motig
7th August 2006, 11:15
Yep its a great pocket rocket, 1200cc in a 750 body you cant go wrong (must need a tune tho that mileage is crap) Just imagine if you had the full power:gob:

Pixie
7th August 2006, 11:34
The real Bandit 1200 (GSF 1200 ) gets it's engine from the oil cooled GSXR 1100 of the eighties.
The GS 1000 was an eight valve aircooled motor and the GSX 1100 was a 16 valve aircooled.
As Lou said if it won't wheely,something is wrong with it.
They don't use them as stunt bikes for nothing.

A can will liberate 15 horse power

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 12:55
Got a mate with an 04 1200 Bandit and yea its a great bike..does everything pretty good.whoever said you would get 30hp from a yoshi exhaust was talking out of the bottom hole.....do the exhaust,filter,ignition advancer,suzuki race kit needles and GSXR exhaust cam and you may get somewere around another 20...bigger carbs may be an option for a few more.

I got 25 crank hp from a can, airbox mod and rejet. That's on a conservative dyno

98tls
7th August 2006, 12:58
I got 25 crank hp from a can, airbox mod and rejet. That's on a conservative dyno nice....going any further with it?

rogson
7th August 2006, 13:28
The GSF12000 (Bandit), GSX1200Y and GS1200SS all have the same air/oil cooled 1157cc engine as the starting point but differ in the detail.

The Bandit has 36mm Mikuni carbs and a cam designed deliver strong mid to top-end.

The GSX1200Y and GS1200SS have a softer cam and both have 32mm keihin carbs. This combination is designed to deliver a strong low to mid range.

All are retricted to 100HP in standard trim , and will deliver significantly more power when derestrcted. However, the Bandit is more amenable to getting a high top-end because of its larger carbs and hotter cam.

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 14:31
nice....going any further with it?

Not me, I sold it and got a newbie.

98tls
7th August 2006, 14:40
Not me, I sold it and got a newbie. much difference with the new ones..as i say a mate has an 04...he would be interested to know whats changed.

Patrick
7th August 2006, 14:53
Getting 240 in a tank on my 2001 1200S and I thought that was thirsty...

Hitcher
7th August 2006, 14:58
Not that I would ever attempt such a thing myself, but I understand that the front wheel of a Bandit comes up very easily in first gear. And in second.

rogson
7th August 2006, 15:13
On my 1200Y (has 18 litre tank - Bandit tanks are bigger I believe) I get 220-240km on a tank (i.e. to sucking fumes) around town, and 240-280km highway riding (depending on throttle use).

rocketman1
7th September 2006, 22:28
Ive had 2001-1200 bandit for about a year now, it has the Scorpion Can, & has been rejetted, it goes like a cut cat. I really dont want any more power it will easily lift the front wheel, in any of the bottom 4 gears. Very reliable, has the good old oil cooled motor, no water corrosion problems, will still be going in 20years time. Quite economical if you take it easy, much better fuel economy than a VFR800.

roogazza
8th September 2006, 09:46
I also may do my hyosung once again, but in a bit of a different light. this may be a goodie

Well thats Cathcarts job fucked !!!!!!!! G.

JimO
8th September 2006, 19:49
Well thats Cathcarts job fucked !!!!!!!! G.

HA!!! .................apparantly i need more characters