PDA

View Full Version : What worked and what didn't...

pritch
6th August 2006, 22:03
Today, Sunday, I rode back from Raglan to New Plymouth in virtual non-stop pouring rain. Why? Well if it was the outward leg of the journey I may have thought twice but since it was the homeward leg options were limited.

Gloves are a conundrum; I have several pairs but not one pair that is right for rain. The Held sport-touring gloves are not waterproof but they have a nifty windscreen wiper on the index finger of the left hand. The Held super motard gloves also have this feature but likewise are not waterproof. Neither of my two pairs of (allegedly) waterproof gloves (Spid1 & RJays) have this useful wiper feature. So I chose to ride with the st gloves which were quickly saturated but which remained warm thanks to heated grips (highly recommended).

The H2Out lining of the Spidi suit sadly passed copious amounts of H2O. The suit has peformed well in the past but I think today would have really required a diving suit.

Similarly the Style Martin waterproof boots functioned perfectly, at least I didn't see any water leak out. Quite a lot got in though.

The Scott anti fog cleaner kept the visor crystal clear all the way and was worth the price of the bottle for this one trip alone.

The M1/Z6 tyre combination instilled a degree of confidence. Last winter every trip I did was at least partially in the wet, and on every trip the Bridgestone BT 020s provided at least one bit of excitement. No slides on the Metzellers though, so either they perform a bit better in the wet or I'm getting better at missing the shiny tar patches...

If looking for a silver lining I guess the upside is that the sort of speeds I travel at in pouring rain (100 to 110... mostly) are less llkely to attract the attention of roadside road tax gatherers than the velocities attained in fine weather.

The Hornet never missed a beat. We tend to take this for granted these days but reading the English magazines indicates that there is at least one make, and some models of other makes, which do not provide quite the same assurance.

If it's still raining in the morning I think I'll shout myself a taxi to work..

Zapf
6th August 2006, 22:56
The H2Out lining of the Spidi suit sadly passed copious amounts of H2O. The suit has peformed well in the past but I think today would have really required a diving suit.

I have learnt to carry some good outdoor water proof gear to wear over my leathers, tried and tested by the outdoor advanture types. Might be something to have next time :)

Sounds like u had a fun ride. riding in the wet teaches you about riding again.... much less traffic and cops on the road too.

dhunt
7th August 2006, 09:05
Today, Sunday, I rode back from Raglan to New Plymouth in virtual non-stop pouring rain. Why? Well if it was the outward leg of the journey I may have thought twice but since it was the homeward leg options were limited.

Gloves are a conundrum; I have several pairs but not one pair that is right for rain. The Held sport-touring gloves are not waterproof but they have a nifty windscreen wiper on the index finger of the left hand. The Held super motard gloves also have this feature but likewise are not waterproof. Neither of my two pairs of (allegedly) waterproof gloves (Spid1 & RJays) have this useful wiper feature. So I chose to ride with the st gloves which were quickly saturated but which remained warm thanks to heated grips (highly recommended).

Similarly the Style Martin waterproof boots functioned perfectly, at least I didn't see any water leak out. Quite a lot got in though.

The Scott anti fog cleaner kept the visor crystal clear all the way and was worth the price of the bottle for this one trip alone.

The M1/Z6 tyre combination instilled a degree of confidence. Last winter every trip I did was at least partially in the wet, and on every trip the Bridgestone BT 020s provided at least one bit of excitement. No slides on the Metzellers though, so either they perform a bit better in the wet or I'm getting better at missing the shiny tar patches...

If looking for a silver lining I guess the upside is that the sort of speeds I travel at in pouring rain (100 to 110... mostly) are less llkely to attract the attention of roadside road tax gatherers than the velocities attained in fine weather.

The Hornet never missed a beat. We tend to take this for granted these days but reading the English magazines indicates that there is at least one make, and some models of other makes, which do not provide quite the same assurance.

If it's still raining in the morning I think I'll shout myself a taxi to work..

Sounds like you had fun. I rode my new bike back from Hamilton yesturday in all the rain. A good test of the bikes capabilities - no cops helped as well as this things doesn't like slow. Had to stop in Te Kuti to take some clothes off as was cooking sooo much. My boots were a little damp today - I've got damp socks now :( But still was lots of fun.

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 09:40
How old is your Spidi kit and where did it leak from?

Flyingpony
7th August 2006, 10:32
I have learnt to carry some good outdoor water proof gear to wear over my leathers, tried and tested by the outdoor advanture types. Might be something to have next time :)
I've got that setup. Less than two years of riding and the expensive adventure jacket started to leak :angry: , it's now good for 10 minutes of heavy rain. Took 4 years, but the Warehouse $7 pants are now leaking too.

I'm now thinking about getting better gear, jacket & pants & boots, but it's very expensive. Sort of ruled out the material gear because it'll no doubt leak. Leather appeals greatly to me and appears to be rather leak proof though heavy when wet. Had a look at 2nd hand stuff but they've either been down the road, wrong size or really old and biker gang looking. In the mean time, I'll stay with my leaky house setup.

98tls
7th August 2006, 10:49
Leather is ok but once wet it stays wet for a long time...bloody heavy,i bought a good set of cordura gear a few years back and find it just cant be beat..no leaks and drys out in no time...a few westcoast rallys ago i rode back from hokitika to oamaru in very heavy rain and it was great,if i could just find some boots and gloves that were as good....plastic bags taped around the legs inside the boots works ok if things are really grim and you have a long way to go.

dhunt
7th August 2006, 18:05
Leather is ok but once wet it stays wet for a long time...bloody heavy,i bought a good set of cordura gear a few years back and find it just cant be beat..no leaks and drys out in no time...a few westcoast rallys ago i rode back from hokitika to oamaru in very heavy rain and it was great,if i could just find some boots and gloves that were as good....plastic bags taped around the legs inside the boots works ok if things are really grim and you have a long way to go.
I always wear wet weather gear over my leathers - doesn't let any water through. My boots look they might need a bit of work - they leak a bit after a while now :(

Zapf
7th August 2006, 18:16
I always wear wet weather gear over my leathers - doesn't let any water through. My boots look they might need a bit of work - they leak a bit after a while now :(

good point that too. cause a dry set of leathers will act as insulation as well.

pritch
7th August 2006, 20:41
How old is your Spidi kit and where did it leak from?

Basically the whole front of my jersey was soaked and the lower part of both sleeves. I bought it early '05.

It has previously never leaked like that before, only a very minor leak under considerable provocation.

Not so long ago I gave the suit a spray with Nikwax silicone. I've washed the thermal liner with techwash but haven't washed the outer...yet.

James Deuce
7th August 2006, 20:54
Not so long ago I gave the suit a spray with Nikwax silicone. I've washed the thermal liner with techwash but haven't washed the outer...yet.

There's your problem right there.

It will have stopped the jacket from breathing properly and instead of wicking the water down the lining the "waterproofing" has bunged it up, making the water wick straight through.

Ruralman
7th August 2006, 21:37
we got a flyer in the mail a couple of days ago. Oringi have a sale on some wet weather gear including some larger sizes of one piece rainsuits - like overalls only made from their flexible waterproof stuff. It is bloody good gear - we use it on the farm. Go to www.oringi.co.nz - sorry you'll have to type that in yourself.

Zapf
8th August 2006, 00:38
we got a flyer in the mail a couple of days ago. Oringi have a sale on some wet weather gear including some larger sizes of one piece rainsuits - like overalls only made from their flexible waterproof stuff. It is bloody good gear - we use it on the farm. Go to www.oringi.co.nz - sorry you'll have to type that in yourself.

looks interesting... wonder how heavy they weigh and how it folds down... and if Poos recommend any...

e.g. http://www.oringi.co.nz/product.pasp?emGUID=81F1082231394C0CB65D6CCA5EDF77 C4!2241!3122&categoryid=6&productid=10

Ruralman
8th August 2006, 20:28
looks interesting... wonder how heavy they weigh and how it folds down... and if Poos recommend any...

e.g. http://www.oringi.co.nz/product.pasp?emGUID=81F1082231394C0CB65D6CCA5EDF77 C4!2241!3122&categoryid=6&productid=10

Their stuff is really light (unless you buy the lined stuff) ,it is also flexible with an amazing amount of stretch which helps it avoid getting ripped in situations that would put a hole in other stuff. It also helps make sure it doesn't give way in places like your crutch which occasonally gets a stretch as you fling your leg over, especially if you've got a heap of stuff on underneath.
While its light and folds up reasonably small it probably won't fit in the small pocket under most bike seats (I could fit it in the pocket under my Transalp's seat but its bigger than most) , so you might have to carry it in a bag or something. Like some other breathable stuff you need to clean it every now and then to maintain its performance - you just put it in the washing machine. This is probably more of an issue with the mud and shit we get over it than you ever will.

TLDV8
10th August 2006, 13:02

I have to admit firstly that i am of the leather jacket with Belstaff jacket over that for rainy days school.That was until i bit the bullet some years ago and got the whole Spidi outfit.... First time in heavy rain (which i like riding in?) what happens,the water goes through the arms and runs down into your gloves..What am i missing ?..I was told that is how they work,the water hits the inner liner and then drains at the lower parts..Derr

Hitcher
10th August 2006, 13:16
Sunday was certainly a good test for wet-weather gear. Mrs H and I rode home from New Plymouth in non-stop and sometimes torrential wetness. My Spidi H2Out gloves failed progressively en route to Wanganui. My H2Out trousers, however, never failed. Nor did my Oxtar boots. The lower portions of the sleeves of my jersey got a bit damp under my Tecknic Goretex jacket, but I suspect that this was probably wicking up from my wet gloves.

Mrs H's Nibo liner Derby gloves failed spectacularly early on. Each appears to hold about a litre of water when wrung out. And the liner sticks to wet hands and pulls out of the glove. Lovely. Her so-called waterproof boots had also failed by Wanganui, each holding about 8 litres of water, in addition to her lovely feet.

However it should be noted that Mrs H rides a cruiser that offers little in the way of weather protection, indeed cruiser riders cop quite a bit of spray from the front wheel. How one sits on a bike seems to have a degree of influence as to how gear performs in the wet, to a point where gear that fails in wet riding on one bike works perfectly fine when riding another.

But, apart from the ones that vets wear, there is no such thing as a waterproof glove.

Lou Girardin
10th August 2006, 16:08
But, apart from the ones that vets wear, there is no such thing as a waterproof glove.

Well I haven't done New Plymouth to Welly, but I've done 2 hours in West Coast rain and a wet hour through the Wangamoas, and still had dry hands.
And you've got a barn door of a fairing too.

Hitcher
10th August 2006, 19:45
Well I haven't done New Plymouth to Welly, but I've done 2 hours in West Coast rain and a wet hour through the Wangamoas, and still had dry hands.
And you've got a barn door of a fairing too.
Ahh, your secret is safe with me...

Pieyed
10th August 2006, 20:05
Dri rider boots - for dri riding only. Never been drier with the technics pants on a very wet trip to hoki but the nazram jacket ain't so good. Best was when I was a learner up in central nth island and rode around in para rubber pants wth duct tape and an old leather jacket that was stiff and everything just rolled off, same with the johnny rebs. I agree with previous writer about leather proabably being the most water proof - if its treated right. I had good Darbi touring gloves that were up to it but when I went to replace them after five year the ones they offer now aren't as robust looking. Long short of it is that I reckon you need good boots and always carry a second pair of gloves. Then any reasonable sort of of outer wear will then be enough.

marty
10th August 2006, 20:50
i've got a 2 piece spidi wet weather gear- cut the cloth liner out as it was a pain in the arse - got caught up when donning it. it doesn't leak a drop, except for down the back of my neck, but i'm a man, so i handle it.......

Hitcher
10th August 2006, 21:00
Leather can be waterproofed. But the seams can't. Be carefully with your choice of leatherproofing products too. Some will rot the stitching.

Zapf
11th August 2006, 00:28
I have been thinking of buying a cheap pair of dish washing gloves to wear over my leather gloves.... cheap and water proof 100%

Ruralman
11th August 2006, 22:57
I have been thinking of buying a cheap pair of dish washing gloves to wear over my leather gloves.... cheap and water proof 100%
You'd need to have bloody small hands - I can hardly get those things over bare hands let alone with gloves on. I guess they make them for female hands??? - like the old line about why to chicks have small feet - ........

Zapf
12th August 2006, 00:11
You'd need to have bloody small hands - I can hardly get those things over bare hands let alone with gloves on. I guess they make them for female hands??? - like the old line about why to chicks have small feet - ........

I just thought they come in like extra large sizes? guess will find out soon... just need to look for some that are not furo yellow or green

Brian d marge
18th August 2006, 01:52
These are my tried and tested methods m as a dr in london for a few odd years ,

Rukka , Still got mine Still water proof after how many years ,,
Para rubber PVC over trousers
Rubber / over boots OR that Nylon With chain spray on the front yes I know but it works

Fo that really Posh look I have a cordura Jacket , But I use ,,,Yes an Over suit and the PVC trousers

Gloves

IF you are stopping say at a red light , then you can get PVC ober mitts that you put under you cuffs , so that the rain goes OVER the seam
If you aint stopping , then the Large wind defectors the MX people use , not the newer ones but the olser ones , v cheap from UFO ...( dont look posh , but the rain goes OVEr your hands , so much so you can wear Summer gloves in winter , and not get cold /wet

Finally ..( Stand by for Flack ..My call this )

I wear an Open face with a strip visor .. just an inch or so along where the visor clips on , tip you head and the rain misses your eyes, and you can never mist up

Oh and you never can speed , tried rain on face at 120 km ??

If you must use a full face .. then washing up liquid rubbed on and polished off , stops fog ,,or rain x ,,but thats expensive

and Last thing , A spare pair of gloves and a handkerchief in a sealed plastic bag

Stephen

Who now lives in the tropics ...we dont have sealed drains... as a cloud burst like we have just had would blow manhole covers clear across the street ( 3 inches in a handfull of min )

Now I just get wet its easier !!!!

Jantar
18th August 2006, 03:21
All makes of gloves can be made waterproof quite easily and cheaply. Buy beg or steal two large rubber bands. Save a few of those lightweight plastic bags that your bread comes in, and stash them under the seat of your bike. Next time it rains just slip your hands into the bread bags, and I'll leave it your imagination just what the rubber bands are for.

redbaron36
3rd October 2006, 19:12
Year long periods in wet weather riding does suck a bit.
I found a lont time ago that my jacket does not live up to what the maker claims.
So in bad weather i wear a normal rain ocat over the top has kept me dry for yonks.
Best pull over pants that i have found are from Redbaron in Akld about $60, used those yellow things for ages but they bite .

TLDV8
3rd October 2006, 22:23
I remember this thread and posting in it...... Since then i have crash tested (low speed) the Spidi suit in the wet,up until that point it had let no water in but was a little worse for wear after doing a bit of a break dance on the road.
As much as i like its armour which saved any injury (worn through at the L/H hip /shin and forearm) and overall water resistance i now have some reservations that it would stay together in a dry road slide.Considering the jackets $995 price tag the construction is a little shoddy with one popped zip and 2 inner attachment points stitching failing.Perhaps they are simply to complicated in construction.
I still need to get it fixed but it has been a case of just one more ride.I am still happy with it but compared to leather,the abrasion resistance is not in the hunt but in the ability to stay warm and dry department it is tops.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=34253

You can get cheap vinyl overboots for water protection from folk like MotoMail
Once apon a time i always had a jumbo plastic rubbish bag stowed for those big wet rides.Rip a hole for head and arms and on it went.:cool: they even came in stealthy black :laugh:

scumdog
3rd October 2006, 23:43

Wotchoo talkingabout Willis?
Last rain we had here was Saturday night - and then it was only a shower or two, before that it was last Tuesday.
Sounds like our Northern bretheren have a little more precipitation eh????

scumdog
3rd October 2006, 23:47
Once apon a time i always had a jumbo plastic rubbish bag stowed for those big wet rides.Rip a hole for head and arms and on it went.:cool: they even came in stealthy black :laugh:

Yeah but once the bag starts to disintegrate at about 100kph your mates riding behind you get the impression they are being attacked by rabid crows leaping from your shoulders..:whistle:

scumdog
3rd October 2006, 23:54
Leather can be waterproofed. But the seams can't. Be carefully with your choice of leatherproofing products too. Some will rot the stitching.

But well dubbined ex-freezing works steel-cap boots with ex-army gaiters (also well dubbined) combined with a pair of elastic waist-and-cuffs overtrousers has been THE best anti-soggy-feet device I've had yet!!
:yes:

I've got a regular pac-a-mac type thing that I can wear under the jacket if needs be, my jacket is big enough as it is, putting more stuff on top might start to act like a parachute in the wind.

Also... worst thing I have on the 4r is that the tank and my riding position seems to be perfectly aligned to ensure that it's always my nads which get cold and wet first, leading to a somewhat unpleasant trip from there...

scumdog
4th October 2006, 00:03
I've got a regular pac-a-mac type thing that I can wear under the jacket if needs be, my jacket is big enough as it is, putting more stuff on top might start to act like a parachute in the wind.

Also... worst thing I have on the 4r is that the tank and my riding position seems to be perfectly aligned to ensure that it's always my nads which get cold and wet first, leading to a somewhat unpleasant trip from there...

And just wait until you have riden 20km+ and THEN find out that 90% of the hail you've just ridden through has ended up in your lap.....

Swoop
4th October 2006, 10:23
with ex-army gaiters (also well dubbined)
:yes:

How the hell did Ixion get access to Scummys login details???:scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

The Pastor
4th October 2006, 18:24
Real men don't mind the wet. Toughen up!

Wolf
6th October 2006, 12:40
Real men don't mind the wet. Toughen up!
Wisdom from years of camping:

Rain will not kill you - being wet is quite safe.

Wind will not kill you - wind is harmless.

Rain and Wind is lethal. Being wet and exposed to wind will rob you of heat and bring about hypothermia.

I've seen hypothermia in action and it is insidious, the victim had no idea of what was happening and presently she was incapable of walking unassisted. She was dazed and confused and completely incapable of surviving by herself. Had she been alone she would have collapsed and frozen to death. Had she been riding a motorbike she would have crashed and probably died.

I walked out of the bush one day (2.5 hours of continuous torrential rain) wearing an absolutely saturated Swandri (woolen bush jerseys are not waterproof) over which I had put a thin nylon windcheater (of the "folds up into its own pocket for storage" variety) - likewise not waterproof but a damned sight more windproof than a wet Swandri.

Saturated to the skin but quite warm with all the exercise of walking two and a half hours and trying to stay upright on a steep clay track.

"Real men" can and do get hypothermia. If your gear is not waterproof, at least make sure it is windproof (against winds of at least 100km/h). The last thing you want is to start losing cognitive ability at 100km/h on a motorcycle.

scumdog
7th October 2006, 08:43
FWIW Have a look at the "Genuine 100% waterproof gloves" thread, will buy some myself - one day! (after the next wet ride probably)

GSX-RJIM
7th October 2006, 10:45

I always do the same dhunt, it works very well, especally in the snow & sleet ran I rode in when I lived down south.

pritch
7th October 2006, 13:46
Last week I bought a new pinlock visor for the Shoei, so far so good.
No fog, even when manhandling the bike around. Normally that'd do it if I hadn't used the Scott anti-fog.

I haven't tested it in a torrential downpour yet but I'm in no rush.

One dealer I spoke to expressed some reservations about the system, but his experience was with an Italian helmet system which apparently doesn't seal all the way round.

Now I have to trim the Sunblocker to fit...

Zapf
8th October 2006, 23:00
No fog, even when manhandling the bike around. Normally that'd do it if I hadn't used the Scott anti-fog.

One dealer I spoke to expressed some reservations about the system, but his experience was with an Italian helmet system which apparently doesn't seal all the way round.

Now I have to trim the Sunblocker to fit...

Recently made the same investment myself. After riding back at night in wind and rain last monday along SH3 and then riding in similar conditions last night. I would vouch 100% for the system. My glasses fogs up before the visor, and even if the visor does fog up its only for a sec when I exhale deeply.

Roj
11th October 2006, 19:53

I must be old school, I wax my visor inside and out, a good furniture polish works well, the water slides off and it doesn't fog up, the only downside is the need to regularily polish the visor, usually every 2-3 weeks. I have used this trick when riding through very thick fog on early morning commuttes from Hamilton to Auckland, and the fog around mecer was thich enough to cut.

idb
11th October 2006, 20:14
I rode through driving rain for two and a half hours on Sunday.
All my kit is less than a year old.
All leather, no wet weather gear.
Got completely soaked.
First was my hands through my new waterproof DriRider gloves.
Then my trou and jacket were leaking.
The only parts of me that didn't get wet were my feet.
I highly recommend Stylmartin boots!

I'd rather not have to get wet weather gear so I'd welcome any recommendations for waterproofing leather.

Zapf
11th October 2006, 22:33
I'd rather not have to get wet weather gear so I'd welcome any recommendations for waterproofing leather.

nikwax........

pritch
23rd October 2006, 15:00

Well somebody wasn't listening. I rode from Orere to New Plymouth today, wet roads all the way, rain most of the way. The pinlock visor worked a treat.

Having seen the particularly depressing forecast, and having got soaked on my last wet outing, I adopted a modified version of bike couture as practiced by Saslex. I cut holes in a rubbish bag and wore it under the riding jacket.

It worked a treat.

My Oxford heated grips failed on the way north and the (wet) fingers got a bit cold so I changed gloves at the gas stop. That worked so well I did the same coming home. That will be standard practice from now on. Possibly even if they do fix these (un)heated grips...

Highlander
23rd October 2006, 15:15
Thin disposable latex gloves inside the real gloves works on wet days too.