PDA

View Full Version : Police trial new camera to stop car theft.

Swoop
7th August 2006, 13:31
I'm guessing this is the trial that Lou(?) was mentioning some time back???

8.15am Thursday August 3, 2006

An innovative camera is being tested by police in the latest attempt to clamp down on car theft.

The camera was capable of reading 50 number plates a minute and could feed the information to police databases, the Dominion Post reported today.

Police have said the technology would help them quickly track stolen cars and vehicles used in crimes.

Former police commissioner Rob Robinson - a long-time advocate of the technology - told the newspaper last year the camera was a "hugely powerful" crime-fighting tool and "not Big Brother stuff".

However, Council for Civil Liberties president Tony Ellis said he was concerned, there was the potential for misuse.

The cameras, which cost tens of thousands of dollars each, have been trialled at two Auckland motorway sites. More trials are expected in Wellington and Christchurch.

Funding was from the national land transport programme, which has provided about $1.2 million for police technology trials this financial year.

- NZPA

Squeak the Rat
7th August 2006, 13:33
You sir were averaging 115 km/hr from Auckland to Orewa. We have you on camera at both ends with the exact time recorded. That will be 35 demerit points and $300. Thank you and have a nice day.

McJim
7th August 2006, 13:44
I remember a trick that worked back in Glasgow a decade or so ago to prevent car crime - I think they called it 'Operation Trojan Horse' they basically planted nice cars in areas with high car theft rates and staked them out. Jailed loads of car theives and car crime dropped....until they all got released into the community again.

Finn
7th August 2006, 13:56
Ahh the old "revenue tool" cleverly disguised as a theft tool trick. Sell it to the simpletons as this and no one will complain about the funding.

I don't see the police or LTSA spending millions of dollars on television ads reminding us to lock our cars.

It's being marketed as stopping car theft, but in reality it's a copycat of the UK system they're trying to put in place.

Once they have a national system of tracking car movements then they can introduce other things nice and easy;

Tolls

Similar to the central london system, they won't even need toll booths, just a camera that snaps your license plate, and if you havn't pre-paid the toll you get a fine mailed to you

Speeding

As previously mentioned, too quick between too points, must have been speeding

Road Tax

New processes could be put in place to that if your car enters certain areas you are charged more per km, ie... central auckland = 10c/km, coromandel = 2c/km or something...

Consider what the government could do if they knew exactly when and where you drive, this is what the system is.

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 14:26
Two cameras on one motorway in Auckland are going to stop car theft.
They really do think we're morons.
I guess they'll tell us speed kills next.

McJim
7th August 2006, 14:47
I remember a trick that worked back in Glasgow a decade or so ago to prevent car crime - I think they called it 'Operation Trojan Horse' they basically planted nice cars in areas with high car theft rates and staked them out. Jailed loads of car theives and car crime dropped....until they all got released into the community again.
Yeah. I can see the drawbacks in the above already.

1/ It'll reduce car crime
2/ It's comparitively inexpensive
3/ You won't be able to deliver traffic offence tickets

How could I have been so:Offtopic:

Swoop
7th August 2006, 14:55
Yeah. I can see the drawbacks in the above already.

1/ It'll reduce car crime
2/ It's comparitively inexpensive

Do you write Tui billboard slogans as your day job???:first:

Hitcher
7th August 2006, 15:14
If it's the same camera that was used to try and get a photo of Winston Peters with his mouth shut, then we shouldn't have much to worry about.

James Deuce
7th August 2006, 15:53
Former police commissioner Rob Robinson - a long-time advocate of the technology - told the newspaper last year the camera was a "hugely powerful" crime-fighting tool and "not Big Brother stuff".

LIAAAR. LIAAAAAAAARRRRR!

Squeak the Rat
7th August 2006, 16:04
Fighting the crimes of speeding and road toll avoidance! Up up and awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Lou Girardin
7th August 2006, 16:33
If it's the same camera that was used to try and get a photo of Winston Peters with his mouth shut, then we shouldn't have much to worry about.

Did you hear that the spider died? They couldn't get anti-venom to it in time.

dnos
7th August 2006, 16:55
I wasn't aware getting cars stolen from the motorway was a big problem in auckland. Will remember to lock mine next time i park on the shoulder and go shopping.

McJim
7th August 2006, 19:24
Do you write Tui billboard slogans as your day job???:first:
Only if they're prepared to pay me enough...how'd you guess I worked in Media?