PDA

View Full Version : No full beam

branco
7th August 2006, 19:30
My zx7r just failed its wof today, full beam not working. Strange as i haven't used full beam since last warrant. Bulbs...ok, fuse......ok, dash light comes on when high beam switch used, same with pass light.
So i figure its gotta be a lose wire, any tips on where to look 1st. Any help appreciated.

Macktheknife
7th August 2006, 19:45
My first pick would be replace bulb anyway, sometimes dodgy buggers hard to tell! next would be the first connection back from h/light assembly. good luck

paturoa
7th August 2006, 19:57
Some bikes have separate fuses for high and low beam, check those.

sAsLEX
7th August 2006, 20:08
The littly innny outty high low selectors are pretty crap for becoming bung, note all the technical terms there, and mine its the low beam that keeps failing as the little spring contact inside the inny outty button keeps coroding with water getting in there.

riffer
7th August 2006, 20:13
Got a multimeter?

Check the voltage across the bulb, then if okay, change the bulb.

If no voltage, check the fuse first with the multimeter. Sometimes the little buggers actually break and you can't see the break as it's so small. If the fuse is okay, then you've got a wiring problem.

Stick one test pin of the multimeter on one end of the wire, and the other pin at the other end of the wire. Test all the wires. If one doesn't work, run a bypass wire to test. If it works, try and find a way to use this wire on a permanent basis. No point pissing about trying to make it too fancy if all you really want is a WOF.

Once you've got the WOF, you can do it properly at your leisure. :)

davereid
7th August 2006, 22:11
The last few bits of advice are right !

ie a) its the little switch thingy b) its the yella wire from the headlight to the little switch thingy (at least its yella on MY bike) or you have a faulty bulb/socket/fuse/earth that you can't see. My money = westport = sunshine has rotted the inside of the switch thingy.

FROSTY
7th August 2006, 22:17
put a new bulb in --I bet thats the problem

Gremlin
8th August 2006, 21:18
put a new bulb in --I bet thats the problem
twin headlight.... I would think it unusual that both had failed. Mind you, if you didn't use the high beam since the last wof?

Hitcher
9th August 2006, 19:09
Hmmm. That ain't Full Beam.

branco
9th August 2006, 22:35
its getting interesting, rang a bike mechanic who came round (no he wasn't in a coma) said it looks like the relay, he couldn't find it. Rang filco's kawasaki expert, he said the relay should be there.....no it ain't. Tomorrow we shall strip off all fairings and have a poke around looking for a big red arrow saying "here's the fucking problem" lol.

rwh
11th August 2006, 23:03
The littly innny outty high low selectors are pretty crap for becoming bung, note all the technical terms there, and mine its the low beam that keeps failing as the little spring contact inside the inny outty button keeps coroding with water getting in there.

Ah yes, the littly innny outty high low selector. Mine's just gone a bit too bung to be likely to get past a WoF - got it stuck on high beam on the way home, then after playing with it at the service station, it won't stay on high beam.

Any idea how tricky it's likely to be to dismantle and repair? Honda VT250F.

rwh

sAsLEX
12th August 2006, 00:35
Ah yes, the littly innny outty high low selector. Mine's just gone a bit too bung to be likely to get past a WoF - got it stuck on high beam on the way home, then after playing with it at the service station, it won't stay on high beam.

Any idea how tricky it's likely to be to dismantle and repair? Honda VT250F.

rwh

prob the same as the nc30 awkward as hell I have done it twice cleaned it out and cleaned it up but it keeps bunging up in our luvely Auck weather!

Lots of little fiddly bit in it so be careful of flying springs

branco
15th August 2006, 17:33
Turns out it was the relay, has now been replaced with a new one for $120 inc. labour. Thanks for all the technical help guys, i appreciate it.