PDA

View Full Version : SV650S Tail Tidy

hsvboy06
7th August 2006, 21:32
It seems that a common opinion of the SV650S is "nice bike but you have to get rid of that fugly plastic fender on the back". I finally succumbed to this way of thinking, and bought a tail tidy off trademe. It was supposed to be really easy to fit, so I thought that even I would be able to do it. It turns out that I had to pretty much dismantle the whole back of the bike. A little bit of brute force, a slight redrilling of one of the mounting holes in the tail tidy, and about 5 hours later I got it all fitted and put back together. Remarkably I didn't have any bits left over afterwards (apart from the old fender, of course)! This might not seem like a big deal, but since I have no experience messing with bikes in this way, I'm pretty proud of myself.
Anyway, I thought I'd post a couple of pictures (sorry they are pretty poor quality - they're taken with a phone camera):
1. The "before" shot; 2. The dismantled back end; and 3. The final look.
Was it worth it? If nothing else it was a lot of fun, but I think it does look a lot better. What do you think?

limbimtimwim
7th August 2006, 21:34
Very.. err.. Tidy!!

Looks good, never really noticed that standard one was offensive though.

98tls
7th August 2006, 21:36
:first: very nice...heaps better...FWIW have a look at my profile pic..they do a nice one for the SV as well..some like it some dont.

Clivoris
7th August 2006, 21:45
Good skills man.

Sketchy_Racer
7th August 2006, 21:59
much, MUCH nicer :niceone:

Monkeyboy
7th August 2006, 22:28
Yes a big difference! I have just fitted a tail tidy to my Fireblade, I bought it from a company in the UK at www.evotech-performance.com. It cost $120 delivered and took 5 days. It was very easy to fit but like you, me and the rear fairing had "issues". The problem was that I had to pull the indicator and number plate wires out and it was a real shit of a task! Anyway I will post some of mine soon. The one I bought uses the existing indicators and number plate light, comes with instructions and two number plate adaptors so it will accomodate any sized plate. $120 is a lot bread but all I kept thinking was "imagine trying to make one yourself?" Since I'm no mechanic or sheet metal worker, handing over $120 suits me!!!:blip:

DMNTD
7th August 2006, 22:38
Looks much better man...good one.
Shit of a job though eh!! Did that same to our SV1000 but a Norfland style...you know,open the back up,cut off anything that hung out :gob: ...also added carbon fibre indicators too.
Took forever but was well worth it IMHO.
One thing I do advise is to put some 3M tape on your tail light and indicators as they are now exposed and they DO get chipped....believe me :yes:

TLDV8
7th August 2006, 23:21
What do you think?..This might not seem like a big deal, but since I have no experience messing with bikes in this way, I'm pretty proud of myself.

Look's great to me :2thumbsup ...and excellent skills for doing it yourself,only way to learn is to go beyond your comfort zone.

The only reason i kept the stock TL undertray was it was handy for stopping rocks and water.That may have to change since i chopped the lower subframe tubes off. :scooter:

98tls
7th August 2006, 23:26
Look's great to me :2thumbsup

The only reason i kept the stock TL undertray was it was handy for stopping rocks and water.That may have to change since i chopped the lower subframe tubes off. :scooter: As ive found out les......been buying alot of that clear plastic stuff.

hsvboy06
8th August 2006, 11:29
I have just fitted a tail tidy to my Fireblade, I bought it from a company in the UK at www.evotech-performance.com. It cost $120 delivered and took 5 days.
OK, now I feel like a noddy. That's exactly what I got (although obviously the SV version) and I paid quite a bit more than you. Obviously the trademe guy's adding quite a margin. He said he had NZ distributor rights, but I guess that doesn't stop you buying from the UK direct... Ho hum. Just don't tell my wife!

nodrog
8th August 2006, 11:49
What do you think?

top job mate :rockon:

Looks much better man...good one.
Shit of a job though eh!! Did that same to our SV1000 but a Norfland style...you know,open the back up,cut off anything that hung out :gob: ...also added carbon fibre indicators too.
Took forever but was well worth it IMHO.
One thing I do advise is to put some 3M tape on your tail light and indicators as they are now exposed and they DO get chipped....believe me :yes:

if I recall rightly, YOU didnt do anything except pass me the tools, and bourbon.:nya:

DMNTD
8th August 2006, 11:52
if I recall rightly, YOU are a legend because ya didnt do anything except pass me the tools, and bourbon.:nya:
I know....skills eh?
BTW...you forgot to mention that I left part way through. :blip:

nodrog
8th August 2006, 11:54
BTW...you forgot to mention that I left part way through. :blip:

thats sweet, i forgot to mention what me and Duc-girl got up too:gob:

DMNTD
8th August 2006, 11:56
thats sweet, i forgot to mention what me and Duc-girl got up too:gob:
It's ok she told me...we laughed for hours!!
Never knew you young fullas needed L Plates :blip:
Now be still Pop...hijack over