PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning mould off leather

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 09:33
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to clean mould off leather? I've been storing my leather jacket in the spare room and wearing courdura for the rainy season, however the other day I discovered it stuck to the wardrobe wall with mould! Yuk!

SARGE
8th August 2006, 09:42
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to clean mould off leather? I've been storing my leather jacket in the spare room and wearing courdura for the rainy season, however the other day I discovered it stuck to the wardrobe wall with mould! Yuk!

yea .. i have the same issue man..i have a 40 year old leather jacket that suffers from it pretty bad.. i use Saddle Soap, followed by a HOT soapy water sponge off, dry it in the sun and treat it with copious amounts of mink oil and top dress it with some silicone spray

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 09:45
Thanks, where would I get saddle soap?

The_Dover
8th August 2006, 09:51
horsey shop

SARGE
8th August 2006, 09:53
Thanks, where would I get saddle soap?

ALBANY AUCKLAND (http://www.saddlerywarehouse.co.nz/?loc=prod&id=1195)

(0508 467 734)

it takes a bit of elbow grease but its worth it ..use a medium stiffness brush on it

R6_kid
8th August 2006, 09:55
looks like your going to be road tripping bro!

SARGE
8th August 2006, 10:00
looks like your going to be road tripping bro!

WELLINGTON (http://www.tackshop.co.nz/index.php?cat_id=13&PHPSESSID=65615992dc41e66378c1be1e2f7a3ca4)

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 10:09
Ah sweet, all the horse stuff I could need right at my fingertips. Elbow grease and Saddle soap. I have some softball glove oil which I think is actually mink oil.

SARGE
8th August 2006, 10:13
Ah sweet, all the horse stuff I could need right at my fingertips. Elbow grease and Saddle soap. I have some softball glove oil which I think is actually mink oil.

you might wanna call those guys and ask what they recommend for mold..they may have some hot shit developed in the last 30 years i dont know about , but what i posted above has always worked for me ..

thatHurt
8th August 2006, 10:24
yea .. i have the same issue man..i have a 40 year old leather jacket that suffers from it pretty bad.. i use Saddle Soap, followed by a HOT soapy water sponge off, dry it in the sun and treat it with copious amounts of mink oil and top dress it with some silicone spray

What's the silicon spray for sarge - waterproofing?

Jantar
8th August 2006, 10:27
Saddle Soap. You buy it from any good equestrian supplier. And get your Bees wax at the same time. :yes:

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 10:30
Since I'm there I might as well get a riding crop too :blip:

SARGE
8th August 2006, 10:32
What's the silicon spray for sarge - waterproofing?

it seals the leather .. mold cant grow on Silicone.. make sure you hit the seams heavy as and it will waterproof them to a point

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 10:36
it seals the leather .. mold cant grow on Silicone.. make sure you hit the seams heavy as and it will waterproof them to a point

I wonder if that same theory would work on my bathroom ceiling.

Swoop
8th August 2006, 10:42
Silicone on yer jacket....

Imagine the distance The Dover could travel the next time he bins it...:nya:

A bit like that ice game, curling.

quickerchick
8th August 2006, 11:03
When you use your saddle soap dont use water with it.. the last thing you want is more moisture. The best leather soap is in the spray pack. (i am a horse rider as well as a biker) You can whip down your leather with a damp cloth first then dry @ room temperature. Then apply saddle soap..
There is a anti-mold product I got from the Saddlery Warehouse for my bridles that kept getting mold on them. It seemed to work quite well.. It was in an orange container and has a lot of German looking writing on it. I think it was about 20 dollar. Make sure you store your leather somewhere warm which will help. Not in the back of the wardrobe in a room that is shut up in the cold for most of the winter.

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 11:13
Thanks, I noticed a spray type in one on one of those saddlery websites, will go for that one. I'll definitely be moving my jacket out of that room and putting the dehumidifier in there now.

sunhuntin
8th August 2006, 12:57
my leather pants started to mold...i attacked them with neopol [furniture polish] and that got rid of it. prior to that, ive used hot soapy water with a stiff brush. an ex of mine told to me put them in the sun each summer and rub with vaseline...he did this every year, and it also saved a pair of my gloves a few times. i havent tried it myself, but he swore by it.

Macktheknife
8th August 2006, 13:28
my leather pants started to mold...i attacked them with neopol [furniture polish] and that got rid of it. prior to that, ive used hot soapy water with a stiff brush. an ex of mine told to me [B]put them in the sun each summer and rub with vaseline[B]...
Are you sure he wan't talking about about YOU? lol
I have always used hot water and a mould killer or bleach, dry with a soft cloth and then lay the leather in the sun or dry in a water cupboard. Then I treat the leather with a nourishing conditioner and then coat liberally with Snoseal or similar.

sunhuntin
8th August 2006, 13:31
I have always used hot water and a mould killer or bleach, dry with a soft cloth and then lay the leather in the sun or dry in a water cupboard. Then I treat the leather with a nourishing conditioner and then coat liberally with Snoseal or similar.

lol....i dont need vaseline....i produce a similar product in vast quanities....

Macktheknife
8th August 2006, 13:36
lol....i dont need vaseline....i produce a similar product in vast quanities....
uuuuuuuummmmmmmmm ok! lol
There are so many things I just can't bring my self to say!

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 13:42

Thanks for the offer but I'll stick to the vaseline....

horsey shop

Genius!

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to The_Dover again."

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 13:49

Doesn't the bleach take the colour out?

Macktheknife
8th August 2006, 13:54
Doesn't the bleach take the colour out?
No, you only use a capful in the jug of hot water. this is enough to kill the mould and leave the leather fine, then dry with a cloth immediately. BTW use one or the other, bleach or mould killer, not both.

muzz
8th August 2006, 14:18
I've used exit mould with warm water towel dried and put in the sun.
When dry and still warm I used Kiwi boot polish and a stiff brush, make sure you rub the boot polish into the seems.
It's good for leather and water proofs.

ajturbo
8th August 2006, 14:32
PM BabyB... she is the expert.

SARGE
8th August 2006, 15:06
I wonder if that same theory would work on my bathroom ceiling.

mate .. i just did 2 bedrooms , a bathroom, a basement and a hallway..

6 bottles of Mold- Away and 30% lung tissue damage later...

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 16:34
done, got some saddle soap from the shoe repair shop down the road. I'll give it a clean, wipe it over with some bleach to stop it growing back then some oil/boot polish.
then I'll start on the bathroom ceiling.

Skyryder
8th August 2006, 16:43
Since I'm there I might as well get a riding crop too :blip:

And don't forget your spurs.

Skyryder

Skyryder
8th August 2006, 16:47

Now here's a lady with a sense of humour.:gob:

Skyryder

Lou Girardin
8th August 2006, 16:47
Got a seat belt on the GN then, have you?

bert_is_evil
8th August 2006, 17:18
It does explain why her leathers went mouldy

SARGE
8th August 2006, 18:03
It does explain why her leathers went mouldy

ewwwwwwwwww.. TMI

The_Dover
8th August 2006, 18:17
done, got some saddle soap from the shoe repair shop down the road. I'll give it a clean, wipe it over with some bleach to stop it growing back then some oil/boot polish.

what about the leathers?

The Pastor
8th August 2006, 18:22
I find that soaking the leathers in a tub of petrol works well.....

I usally just wash it and dry it... warm water.

Scouse
8th August 2006, 18:43
an ex of mine told to me put them in the sun each summer and rub with vaseline...he did this every year, was he talkin about his cock or his leathers

sunhuntin
8th August 2006, 19:57
sky....lifes too short not to!

lou...nope...dont need to. got good strong thighs to hold me on during the rough stuff!

bert.....EW! lol. i hardly wear em....bout 6 sizes too big.

zr...the leathers. i didnt think to suggest the other!

quickerchick
9th August 2006, 09:42
Guys...Dont use boot polish.. you may think it is good, but not really it is the old fashion way of cleaning leather riding boots and saddles... It comes off on everything and takes the natural sheen out of the leather. The new clear products with waterproofers in them are o.k. You get these normally at trade shows and the like and they last for ever. Remember leather is a natural product and needs a bit of TLC.

quickerchick
9th August 2006, 09:46
You probably wont need to use any oil products on your leathers as this is designed for heavy weight harness leather that is brand new to supple it up for use and waterproof it. If you use oil all the time it makes the leather limp(flaccid if you know what I mean) and it can tear and break.

Ahh all those hours of cleaning horse saddlery has come to some use...

muzz
9th August 2006, 10:26
Guys...Dont use boot polish.. you may think it is good, but not really it is the old fashion way of cleaning leather riding boots and saddles... It comes off on everything and takes the natural sheen out of the leather. The new clear products with waterproofers in them are o.k. You get these normally at trade shows and the like and they last for ever. Remember leather is a natural product and needs a bit of TLC.

Been doing it for years and had no problems this maybe an old method but it works. Have got a jacket thats about 15 years old and its fine.
If you buff the nugget till it shines it doesnt come off.
Protects, preserves and nourishes.
But in saying this there are alot of products on the market and there are probably better things to use but this is what works for me.

babyB
18th August 2006, 15:57
if ya gonna store leather guys
give them a good clean then wrap them in cotton sheet/blanket
then in a a blanket off the ground. the cotton dosent sweet & absorbs moisture. dont wrap in plastic!

Bonez
18th August 2006, 18:11
Been doing it for years and had no problems this maybe an old method but it works. Have got a jacket thats about 15 years old and its fine.
If you buff the nugget till it shines it doesnt come off.
Protects, preserves and nourishes.
But in saying this there are alot of products on the market and there are probably better things to use but this is what works for me.Works for me to muzz. Also use nugget on my leather gloves.

babyB
19th August 2006, 02:30
PM BabyB... she is the expert.
too right i am:rolleyes:
Remember guys Bike leathers are NOT the same as horse tack (leather)
and their requirements are different.:slap:

'New Life 4 Leathers'

I'll Rejuvinate your leathers. Cleaning and Reviving. Minor scratches/scuffs? it is possible to return your leathers to their former glory. PM me
I'm here to help with ya problems, questions & queries.
Don't know if u have seen my handy work so added the link below, has couple pix http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...4&postcount=34 (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=566624&postcount=34)

Lord Derosso
19th August 2006, 11:06

Well I must get my five cents too before they get to be worth nothing, unless you find a 2004.

When I brought the bike ten months ago I reactived my 25 yr old leather jacket, gave it a quick clean up and shot off to that little tiny shoe repair man at the bottom of Majoribanks Street, Mount Victoria on recommendation from WN Motorcycles. The zip wasn't working properly but he fixed it real cheap without the need of a new one. THEN I asked him re cleaning and protecting the leather and he didnt hesitiate to give me a product called 'TARRAGO' self shine leather polish from Spain. He swears on it so I spent my $10 and got home and applied it with the use of a cool little sponge pad and WOW the jacket looks like new and I haven't cleaned it again since. The product is applied and drys completely though I also gave the jacket a quick baft and there was no excess , and it hasn't come off since.

Lord Derosso
19th August 2006, 16:47
Are we old fashioned to use leather or should we buy armoured jackets? I was told by a bike shop staff member that modern jackets are far more stronger than leather but my old leather weighes a poo load so it may not stop an injury but I am sure it would protect my skin. It is padded in places too.
I do have armoured boots which I think is a good idea considering I might need them if my bike falls on me with its full fairing. Views please on this subject?

Kyle
19th August 2006, 18:17
Modern riding gear is generally more weather proof, and some of it has great protection (hard inserts etc) but mostly its only good for one skid down the road and will be fairly ruined. Where as my leather 10 year old leather jacket has been down the road a number of times (not just me) and still has no holes, however riding in the rain for hours with it on will leave me damp to say the least. Though i have never bothered to treat it with anything water-proof im told that bees wax is one of the best things for leather of all types (bought from horse shop) any treatment that evaporates will eventually cause the suface to harden and crack if used to much.

babyB
19th August 2006, 20:54
well Derosso, i think is personal choice & dependent on what ya doing (from racing to touring).
leather & synthetic is around the same price. synthic more waterprof, easer to maintain, covenent zip-in warmth. leather is very promenent in racing, dosent usualy melt
either is better than nothing but IMO leather is still way better for sliding the ashfelt......after all, 1000s of racers have aproved it

Lord Derosso
19th August 2006, 22:21
I have to admit having a very heavy padded leather jacket which I have done many tours on is a comfort. I always wear good gloves,boots and lids too so shake my head seeing guys on R's with shorts, no gloves and sandshoes. EEk. I learnt early on whilst on trail bikes and falling onto gravel roads what pain is.

babyB
24th August 2006, 10:13
if ya going to use Saddle Soap i strongly recomend you use water!
if not you woll run into problems later

YOUR BIKE LEATHERS ARE NOT HORSE TACK!!!!!!!

if you have questions or want info just PM me